Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 23 - 19:34:59
Page:  1 
The Change that You Want Started by: Praefect on Dec 19, '14 21:01

Praefect walks down the street, holding his hat to fight Winter's best efforts to rip it off his head. A cigarette smolders in his other hand, keeping him sane as he bypasses one street preacher after another. Finally, he has enough. He grabs one of the many milk cases, props it up beside the curb, and clears his throat.

This isn't going to be a long, drawn-out speech. I'm not going to wax poetic or use different examples, I'm just going to say something simple, and explain it a bit. I keep seeing people in the streets (mainly a single person who shall remain nameless) complaining about their lot in life, about how they wish things would change. They shout some rant about their feelings, then either bite a bullet themselves or they slip into a coma and let someone else take care of them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to present the idea of 'being the change that you want to be.' Not satisfied with the way things are done around here? Work your ass off until you're in a position to have your opinions heard, or where you'll be able to implement the changes that you want. You don't need to perch yourself on a milk crate and cry about things, just get off your ass and work to change it! People will be much more receptive to your ideas if you are willing to work for them.

Praefect steps off his crate, repositions his hat on the top of his head, and walks off into the howling Chicago winter winds.

Report Post Tip
It's hardly a new idea you are presenting, but it never hurts to bring it to attention so some ignorant people might pick up on it.

Meanwhile, why don't we be the change we want to see in the world.
I'm pretty sure the majority of us is quite tired to listening to speeches by morbid narcissists.
How about we enforce rules that prevent us from interacting with obvious idiots, who get off solely on that response.
In that way we don't take their voice, but in the end they will get bored standing in front of an audience.

How about we put it to the next level and proclaim obvious idiots as a threat to our society's standards and therefor we eliminate those threats on sight. No chance on joining a family, because that would disgrace the family's image. Perhaps make it even harder and punish families for harboring idiots who add little with their stupid rants.

Now don't get me wrong, I encourage people to bring criticism to the streets, but I'm quite tired of some idiots constantly calling for attention while it serves no significance to any person or any issue, but their own sad need for attention.
Report Post Tip

That's the biggest problem I have with people like Kuku. Yeah, they want changes, I get that. Then get off your ass and actually work to make them happen, rather than sitting and bitching about it. Everyone has a list of changes that they'd make when they became boss, or opinions about how they'd run their own family.

Report Post Tip

Kizira just stands there for a moment in awe. Her eyes wide before she bursts out in laughter.

In theory this is very logical. In reality, well I don't fully agree.

You want the streets completely dead? If not then you are stuck listening to whatever anyone wants to talk about. It is your choice whether or not you wish to get involved in a discussion or in whatever you are reading. There have been people that have come along and told stories of their lives. Is that just attention seeking as well?

I can appreciate that you believe people will get to implement change if they reach certain points but I disagree. There are times that even at the top you do not always get to do what you wish. You get to run your family the way that you wish, unless someone else takes issue and kills you for it. But if you want to see change that goes across the board, this tactic will not always work. It would depend on what most people want to do. A mass. Which isn't always the greatest way but it happens.

Sometimes there are things you can change, and sometimes not. It really depends on the people around and how they take your ideas. If most at the top don't like it, well good luck. If they do, sometimes it still doesn't happen.

So you can do as you wish but I can tell you from experience that doing things differently isn't always helpful. If you want to stick to what you believe in, that is also not easy. You can work your ass off, reach the top and still get no where with the change you want to be or see.

Report Post Tip
Hey Kizira, it's good to see you here and hear your thoughts on the matter. Hear me out in response on your speaking.

I don't want to see the streets dead and silent and I doubt Praefect would want that to happen.
We want these streets to be lively with discussion. We want to see promising ideas, beautiful dreams or interesting history and amusing anecdotes.

What we don't want is people screaming for attention while they offer none of the aforementioned. Words don't even have to be true for all I care. Misdirection, lies, one-sided-stories can all be very interesting. But simply complaining without proper reasoning or a vision for change people tend to be annoying and they take up our time.

And I agree that being a boss in this thing of ours doesn't always mean you can push your will for the community. But often it's even more obvious that speaking about some concerns isn't the way to achieve anything either.
Often those are merely speeches of hotheaded nobody's who feel angry over past events. They rarely want change that benefits the community, they want change that benefits them and makes them feel right. In those cases I fully agree with Praefect and think that one should shut up, buy a revolver, start training their aiming skills and wait for the perfect opportunity to shoot those who did them harm.

The streets should and will never be a place where everyone happily agrees, but I want it to be a place where I come happily and get intrigued by stories and discussion. I hate to leave my favorite bar and move into downtown to find myself in some sort of kindergarten with no sense and childish behaviour.
Report Post Tip

Well you don't get to dictate what people want to talk about. If they feel like talking about themselves then so be it. You have the option to walk on past without making a comment. If people feel like they want to comment (and clearly they do judging on the amount of conversation happens in the example that was presented) then they can.

I don't think everyone that promotes change in the streets is necessarily whining about it or nobody's. Maybe they just want the perspective of other people? If you never ask you will never know what people think about things. Granted you could ask privately but then you get a small amount of views and only from those amongst your circle.

If you speak up in the Streets you get a wider range of views. Maybe what you are interested in isn't exactly the same as what someone else is interested in?

Report Post Tip

I'm not saying that it should be censored or that they should just keep quiet. I just think that they're more likely to get the changes that they want if they work towards it instead of sitting around complainign about it.

Report Post Tip
I do not mean to be rude at all praefect, but from what I have read, you are technically whining about people who whine about wanting change, offering a resolution. Which in its self is change.
so are you now also whining about change?
This seems like some kind of un godly paradox.
Report Post Tip

I see what you mean, Jack, but how, pray tell, does one stop whining without causing more whining?

Report Post Tip
If I new the answer to that question sir, I would be a wealthy man.
Report Post Tip
I have had a thought!
Now it may be a little left field, but bare with me.

How about, A community committee meeting!?
We ask the godfathers and crew leaders very nicely for a little of their time and attention. And give an oppertunity to everybody residing in the great citys to put their thoughts and ideas across to then men and women who run the realm?
It would give people the chance to put their opinions across in a contructive mannor without whinging and whining, I am sure the leading men and women are very reasonable, and may take into consideration some of the things people would like to see done differently. Or perhaps even find inspiration in some ideas of others and implement change. Of course there is no garentee they would. But at least every man and woman would have a fair chance to pitch their ideas to the men and women capable of implementing change. Who knows what might happen, but eithet way at least it might end a little street drama.

what do you think?
Report Post Tip

That sounds like a good idea, Jack, but I feel like it would work better in theory and not in practice. I believe the entire meeting would be people going 'When am I going to be made?' and similar comments.

Report Post Tip
Alas, you are probably right.
One can hope though. Would be a shame to squander such an oppertunity.
Report Post Tip

I will be honest even as a family head i feel often i can only be a limited change.  As many crewleaders, we can talk to our members, try and shape our members and trying and put forward things to be a level of change but is hard as people have to want to listen and sometimes be on your wave length.

One of my biggest frustrations is seeing a poor accusational comment get more attention then a well thought out speech but sadly it seems to be the way the world has evolved.  Earlier i met a man who visited the streets and business districts in shock of how much a few years change the world around us.  As much as i post, and others, and try and encourage it, is a limit to the inspiration factor unless is a big reward for some.

I must admit jack, a community meeting would be interesting or a few due to the time differences people come out and about on, but i know within my headquarters, my doors are open to suggestions, same within the district, is often exchanges between some to make things better/easier.

The biggest challenge to change for many is

1. wanting to change,

2, wanting to change in the same direction as others

3, putting the effort and garnering the support for change.

4. survival.. we all know how dog eat dog things get sometimes, and priorities and change alter to work around survival sometimes.

Report Post Tip

Is it better that change occurs through gradual alterations of rules and standards? A flexible world not stuck in outdated and old-fashioned ways, but a world that adapts to the new blood and their needs? Or should this new blood grasp the opportunities and  incite a revolution against the rules and values of the current regimes? 

Perhaps we should wait to see what happens? A combination of the traditional values and the exciting rush of enlightenment and new ideas? 

I do not think one man can radically change the course of this world. For that he would need a flock of loyal supports who supplement and discuss his vision.  I think only a  group, a collective of radical new ideas that 'work their ass off' can truly change this world. One man can work his ass of and can be the change that he wants to see, but often his work will be in vain as he dies alone, taking his plans with him.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Change that You Want
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL