Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 05:44:48
Page:  1 
A newcomer's ambition Started by: Vorst on Dec 23, '14 15:57

With long strides, Vorst stepped down the streets. His black coat was pulled up high, his shoulders trying to shield his face from the cold winds and his hands were placed deep inside his pockets. With a grimace he fought the winter weather on his way to towards The Tangent’s Tavern. It had been a hard but fruitful day, but like many other newcomers to the life of crime he had trouble getting used to his new life in the family.

“Another day in the office”, he mumbled to himself. He knew this life was the only option he had.

The thought that he would receive a warm welcome from his new found family once he made it to the bloody tavern put his mind at ease. He was really lucky to be picked up off the streets by Wrathchild, and had quickly learned a lot from Inertia, Stein and Nucky_Thompson. One question remained however.

“How should a young up-and-comer position himself in this ancient society?”

“What ya mean by that you rumbling idiot?!”

When Vorst looked up, his mind returned to reality. He had reacted just in time to see a broad shoulder sweep past his face and collide with him on his left. Still half in a daydreaming daze, Vorst spun to his left and hit the ground flat on his face.

“Well, to answer your question, not like that”.

The huge man’s laugh that followed was low but warm. Vorst took an immediate liking to the man and a somewhat less liking to the hard pavement that his face just hit. That said, he quickly got to his feet and looked his “attacker” in the eye, while rubbing his bruised left cheekbone.

“I did not mean to hit you to ground young friend”, the huge man said.

“No harm done, I was not paying attention”, Vorst said while he reached out with his hand. “I am Vorst, who are you my big friend?”

The huge man that stood before Vorst was around 50 years old. He face showed he had lived a hard life, the life of a mobster’s bodyguard. Still, standing roughly 2 meters tall, his age did not affect the impressive sight he was.

“My name is Aldobrandino”, he said as he eagerly shook Vorst’s hand. “It means little old sword”.

“Well they got something right”, Vorst smiled.

“The moment I knocked you down you said something?”, Aldobrandino said, ignoring the ‘meant to be funny’ remarks.

Vorst recalled his thoughts and was a bit ashamed of the fact that he was apparently thinking out loud. Not a good trait for a criminal.

“I was wondering how I should act in this new life I got myself into.”

“And what life would that be?”, Aldobrandino asked looking like a person who just asked a rhetorical question.

“You know the answer to that question”, Vorst wore a self-satisfied smirk after he said it.

“True that, but what do you mean with how you should act?”, Aldobrandino asked curiously.

Vorst thought how he could make clear to Aldobrandino what is question was about. Vorst was an ambitious man, always was and probably always will be. In his old life this ambition is what spurred him to greatness, to excel at what he did. In his new life, one that he had accepted only days ago, he doubted his ambitions. Not that he did not have any ambitions, just doubted if they were of any use to him here.

“Ambition is a double edged sword in this life”, he finally blurred out. “How can I position myself: eager and ambitious, without getting myself killed in the process?”

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

If you are eager and ambitious to further your position in this world by helping around and earning for your crew you won't get yourself killed. If you are eager and ambitious to further your own selfish goals you could just find yourself swimming with the fishes one day.

I think it depends on your approach, your actions and ultimately your goals.

Report Post Tip

Thank you for your insights kind sir!

Report Post Tip

Curtis was walking past when he noticed the incident. He was taken with the young man's question and walked over to him.

"I couldn't help overhearing your question. I think it's a good one. Ambition is a fine trait to have but like anything, that quality alone will yield little."

Taking a quick nip from his flask he tried to explain himself.

"A mighty gun means nothing without a steady aim. A fast car is no more useful than a slow one without a skilled driver. It is the same with ambition. It will yield very little without composure, control, forward thinking and understanding the bigger picture. if you go hammer and tongs into your life of crime you may well get immediate and explosive results but you are just as likely to shake the wrong hands, take the wrong risks and overstretch your arm in search of just that little bit too much.

If you want to ascend to a position of power in this thing of ours, look around, watch and learn. Find the people with what you want and the find out what they did to get where they are. And what they do to stay there. This life we lead can be as long as it is dangerous. The best mobsters are usually the best learners."

Handing him a few dollars Curtis smiled at the young hood.

"You asked the question. That's a lot better start than many make. Good luck to you."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A newcomer's ambition
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL