Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 22:03:12
Page:  1 
Legend of The Hanging Tree Started by: Katniss on Jan 10, '15 05:14

Katniss stood outside her headquarters of the hanging tree and watched as the single frozen tree in the front seemed to quiver from the cold. The ice that hung delicately from the branches gave the tree an entirely new form then it ever seemed to have in the summer months.

She puffed on her smoke, as she felt the icy wind rip through her causing her to shiver with the tree. The crackling of the branches grew with each burst of wind and she watched as a few of the icicles fell to the ground and shattered. She hummed lightly the tune of The  Hanging Tree and then began to wonder if there was ever any truth to the stories she had heard about the tree.

Suddenly she jumped slightly as she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning around she saw Space-to-the-pole standing there almost laughing a bit. "Scared you eh?"

Katniss shook her head and drew in a puff of her smoke and watched as a few snow flakes began to fall again from the sky.

"What are you doing out here Katniss? It's bitter cold you know?" He handed her a cup of hot coffee and she graciously took it.

Feeling the warmth of the cup in her hand she looked up at him and gave him a smile. "Thank you Space, and I'm just sitting here thinking about this old tree."

"A tree really Katniss.. Your thinking about the tree?" He gave her an odd look and shook his head.

"Well you see.. There's an old story I have heard behind this tree. Well before our times I had heard of person that once had lived near here. There weren't any massive structures here yet, nothing pretty just a few old homes and businesses. More like just a small town were a now large city thrives.

You see. It was said that one day a man had gone to work in a factory down the street. Same routine day in day out for the man. He'd get up go to work and come home to his family. He had a lovely wife that stayed home and cared for their two kids. Everyone in the town lived the same way. They got up they went to work from almost sun up to sun down trying to earn enough just to live. It wasn't a great life for anyone there, but they all just survived.

One day on his way to work he passed by this tree and he felt the need to be able to do things differently then he ever did. It was like it had breathed in life to him just by a glance, and that day he took a different way to work.

Everyday the man began to do something different, little things at first. A different route to work, talking to different people changing the way he'd do his job a bit, but with every change he  did he began to be a bit happier, more alive and hopeful that there was more to this life then hunger, survival and work.

Daily he visited the tree, Sometimes he would study it and watch as it seemed to grow in front of him. He watched as the branches would dance in the wind, and would smile with every new bud during the spring it would get.

After a while people began to notice his differences and wondered why he seemed to be changing into someone different. The man was said that he would answer each of them with a smile and say sometimes something even as small as a gift from nature can spark a sense of happiness and change.

The changes in the man were not bad by any means and he began to, on his different journies to and from work, spread a bit hope of better times and he'd even stop to pet a stray dog or stray cat that would wander up to him that most people would have just kicked aside. He began to dream and spread his dreams of the towns people not having to just survive, but that in their survival they could live.

All the people began to listen to him and because of it a hope spread and a comradery among all the townspeople.  People funny enough were beginning to be happier all because of a an idea a tree put into this mans head.

After almost of year the man went to leave his house and was met by a gentleman that caught him at his front door. The stranger then pulled out a gun and forced the man back into the house.

Its said that the stranger was someone that had come in from a different town that had over heard in a small kitchen how someone was talking about the man and how well he was doing and because of how well he was doing how well the town had started to do also.

The stranger took this as him having money, and being poor  he envied the story he heard.

The stranger, after entering the house and realizing that there was no money there grew angry. He fired three shots killing the mans family right before his eyes, and then he drew the gun on the man.  The mans entire world at that moment seemed to have disappeared and it's told that if asked the man would say he blacked out.

The truth to that story though was that the man then stole the strangers gun from his hand, and after being filled with so much hate and fear at one time that he hit him so hard with the gun it knocked the man unconscious. He then drug him from his house and began screaming he stole everything as he kept dragging the stranger down the street.

Those that had still been at home watched and came from their houses to see what was wrong. A neighbor had noticed his front door was still open and worried about the children in the house went to check on them. Immediately she came running from the house following after the man dragging screaming that the stranger had slaughtered them.

The man kept walking as more came from the homes and businesses he past, and all of them followed as he drug the stranger all the way to the tree. 

With almost superhuman strength he picked the stranger up and held him there with one arm. The already almost lifeless figure just hung against his hand, as another individual grabbed some rope.  Those that were with the man took vengeance immediately on the stranger and strung the rope up over the heavier branches ensuring to tie it tightly as it was then wrapped around the strangers neck.

The tree was said by all those there, even ones that never knew why the man changed, to almost cheer as the stranger awoke right at the moment the man let loose his hand."

Katniss looked at one of the lower branches and found an odd comfort from the tree envelop her. "I guess that's all the story I really remember, but it kinda sticks with me." She looks over at Space and gave a small shrug. "It's almost like with in that old tree are secrets you know? Legends I guess you could say of hope, sadness, life, revenge and death. It's kind of odd how a tree can hold all that potentially."

She felt a her hands growing cold against the empty coffee cup and then noticed the warm light coming from in the head quarters and slowly turned to enter it, but not before giving the tree one last glance before retiring inside.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Illusion heard the story from the grape vine - and decided for himself that he wanted to visit the tree himself. It was a warm summer's day and he wilfully set aside his whole day for a visit to the infamous hanging tree. As he approached the tree, he felt unusually warm - like there was an invisible aura that was pulsating from the tree itself, he thought to himself that possibly the rumours were true. He looked up and watched the branches swaying in the light breeze memorized by the gentle movements - then suddenly small images began to form in his mind. Men and women being strung up - their murderers all with an almost maniacal look about them, and their victims - all with the same expression of guilt mixed with fear. And just as soon as the images appeared - they were gone.

Spooked by this - Illusion looked around him and noticed nothing out of the ordinary but then a thought occurred to him - maybe this tree shared a form of blood-lust, he thought back on the tales he had heard about the tree. He remembered the first hanging and how everyone present felt a strange hungering feeling emit from their surroundings. His thought-process grew and he came to his own conclusion - the tree had a lust for justice - the feeling that an evil-doer being brought to justice on its own branches, was thrilling - it was a feeling that it felt completed its very existence. And possibly after awhile - after having the tainted blood ooze into its very roots - its conscience and its own definition of justice, was skewed or had become false. And it now hypnotises those that come close, with that same sense of false justice... He continued pondering this thought - and a question began to form in his mind... What if the tree initially set up that original man to have an 'awakening' of sorts, with the sense to live a better life - only to hypnotize the next man to attack his predecessor... Just so that the second man - would be hung upon it... Just so that the tree would again feel that sense of justice upon its branches...

The very thought scared Illusion and he suddenly did not feel safe around this tree... It was nightfall by now and Illusion gathered his things and began to leave - he quickly glanced back at the tree; in the night-light - its once dainty branches - now looked quite sinister, like claws grabbing at the night sky... He hurried back to his vehicle and drove into the distance - further away from the hanging tree ... with a strange dark look in his eyes...

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Bob is a fellow who doesn't believe in fairy tales. When he heard all the hype about this Hanging Tree, he had to go see for himself what the word around town was about. He hopped in his car and drove like a madman, determined to prove everyone wrong about this mystical thing.
Once there, he got out of his car and walked up to it; nothing special about it, just a normal tree.

People are stupid. They believe everything people tell them without seeing for themselves. 

He hated this town; since he was a kid, he was bullied endlessly by both adults and other children. Suffering from a recent breakup did not help the matters in hand.

I'll cut the fucking thing and then people will regret being mean to me. The torment I went through will be payed back.

He went back into his car and drove off furiously. He stopped at a hardware store and began searching for a chainsaw. Unlucky for him, there was none, but he bought the next best thing- an ax. Walking back to his car, a familiar face rushed towards him. It was Sulfur, a good friend of his, but he was in no mood to chitchat. 

-What are you doing with that ax?

-Piss off, Sulfur. 

-Watch how you talk to me; you may be an old friend of mine but I am still your superior. 

-Fuck off.

With that, Bob raced back to his car and drove off in the distance, heading towards the tree. Sulfur, astonished by what he had heard, called Katniss to tell her what he just had seen.

-Katniss, Bob just rushed off with an ax and he was in a rather pissy mood. Do you know what's wrong?

-No, I don't. Where are you anyways?

-Diva's hardware store.

-Oh no! That's the closest hardware store to the Hanging Tree. He's going to cut it down. Stop him! I'll be there too.

Sulfur hung up and jumped in his truck. He was speeding at 150 kilometers an hour on a limit of 75. He arrived at the tree and what he saw was horrific. Katniss was pinned down on the ground holding the wooden handle of the ax that Bob was pushing towards her throat.
Sulfur sprinted towards Bob and tackled him hard on his side. Sulfur punched Bob at the side of his face and knocked a few teeth loose. He was about to continue beating him, but Katniss yelled at Sulfur to stop. Obeying orders, Sulfur stopped hitting Bob, but kept him pinned down. 

-It's midnight. Katniss said.

Bob was crying while being held on the ground. 

-I'm so sorry. My girlfriend just left me and things have been going to shit lately. 

-It's okay, but I want to give you something. 

Katniss handed Bob a necklace. 

-This is a neckless of hope, found right under the tree from where I was sitting while I was talking to Space. I want you to wear it and have faith in this tree. I want you to cherish it and you'll see, good things will happen. Come visit this tree everyday at midnight and you'll feel something different.

With that being said, Katniss and Sulfur headed back to their vehicles and drove off. Bob sat there looking at the tree, sobbing at what he just had done. What can I say? Strange things did happen here and no stranger would it be if it occurred to someone else.   

Report Post Tip

Waking up in a strange single bed. The sun is shining through the white curtains. Mighty turns his head and tries to grab his golden watch... ooo my arm is to short to get to the bedside table. He slides up to the edge of the bed. He sits up in bed and grabs his watch from the bedside table. 10 am in he morning. Way too early he says to himself.

He bends over with his head and places his head in his both hands. He has a big time hangover. Why did I drink that much pints.. It was a great night at the bar. All his fellow Dutch and Irish mobsters were there that night. They had a great time and the rounds came.. came and came. He should quit drinking that much, but he gets dragged into it every time why did he?!

He places his feet on the ground he still has his pants on.. he put on the golden watch he got that from his granddad. Once an Original Dutch man from the old country. A hard working man that did business in lumber. Why didn't Mighty get a decent job as his family did? It started hanging out with youth friends, a small crew of some troublemakers they called themselves The Orange Gang of the North Side.
Good story to tell on school when they extorted the dean and stole alcohol from the Church.
Being Catholic is not an easy job, but he knew when it started with the drinking now suddenly.. So young Mighty thinks.. Ah well first let me get up and get out of this musty room.

Mighty gets changed and he now knows where he is. Yes.. He is in the old bedroom of his dad. At his grandmothers place.

Suddenly he remembers something of last night. On the way back home when he was walking through the dark streets of the North Side when he stepped outside from the Mick O'Connells bar he couldn't find the key of his home.

A friend which accompanied him a so called Space-to-the-Pole said:

“I love dutch clogs” and mutters something like.. “You can sleep over at my little castle” While he was walking the other way while still looking at Mighty.. Space-to-the-pole saw mighty looking in his pockets for his key.

“I got it Space! I have an address close to the bar you know it right?”

Space laughed and points his finger at Mighty. “Yes, lad” While he burps after saying that. “You arrrrr going to your Granny right? Well tomorrow 11 am meet me at the hanging tree”

Mighty looks while Space walks towards his car in the street at the other side of the cross point.
He couldn't get his car open he was too drunk. After several attempts Mighty almost wanted to help him. Space kicks against the door of his White and Yellow Ford.

"It is open" Space says... While he bashes his head against the horn when he steps into the car and tries to sit behind the wheel.

Mighty turns around and didn't want to look at the awkward moment of Space driving away from the parking lot next to the sidewalk.
Mighty follows his way back to the house were the roots of his family once began. The Irish neighborhood also had a lot of residents from Dutch backgrounds.

It was not far and there was hardly a light in the streets. It was dark and cold. A little breeze he feels in his neck.. he continues to walk. It is January so cold in Chicago at this moment of the year.

He finally got to number 41. The answers to all numbers Mighty says to himself and he putts up a little grin... His grandma was sleeping of course but he knew she has always a key for him under the d
oormats. He grabs the key under the doormat opens the door and then he doesn't remember anything of what happened after.

He is back in the room changing himself and his breath smells of alcohol and tabacco.
He combs his hair with the little pocket comb he got in his jacket. Putts his suspenders on his shoulders one by one.. first the left and then right. Looks into the mirror to finish his hair.

Opens the door of the room and walks downstairs towards the kitchen.. On the worktop there is a little note and some sandwiches.

Mighty picks up the the sandwiches and places them in his pocket. Then he subtly grabs the small note from the blue and white plate. He stares into the hallway which is connected to the kitchen and looks at the clock that is hanging above the front door of his grandmothers house.
10:30 am. He is almost running out of time. He sits down at the chair in the small kitchen and places his arms on the table while holding the note. He opens the note and starts reading. His grandmothers handwriting was so easy to recognize.

Dear Mighty,

I know you had a rough youth. I know you have always been different then the rest of our family. I know you have the temper of your dad and the brains of your grandfather.
I heard in the neighborhood that you have a meeting at the hanging tree and that has a double meaning for you.
I remember singing this little song for you when we were at the tree for a picknick

Are you, are you.
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run,
So we'd both be free.

The only thing i wish for you is that you are happy in life and that you follow your hart.

The decision you are going to make today is a big step for you in this life and also for you as a person in the North Side.
I have faith in you and that you will be what you want to be.

Your loving grandmother

Mighty folds the note and putts in his pocket of his jacket. He walks towards the hallway and putts on his shoes while he unlocks the door. Walks outside and looks around if nobody sees him while he places the spare key under the doormat.

He walks some blocks further in the cold and windy streets. It is very dreary the same way Mighty feels when he has a hangover. His head hurts big time and he continues to walk with his chin up. So nobody can see he feels bad. The houses are all from working class people in the this neighborhood the ones that his granddad and father helped to build up. He reaches his destination.
The square where the hanging tree is. Every year he and his friends have a party here with the old neighborhood.
They celebrate the story of the man that was honest and lost his family. It's an old folktale. The story goes that this man was a relative of him when the first people started a town that later became part of Chicago.
Mighty looks at the tree and admires its strength. It feels good and suddenly he does not feel so bad anymore and he looks at the details of the tree while he reaches for his pockets to grab a smoke.

Someone tips on his shoulders he turns around. It is Space and someone else he didn't knew yet.

“This is Katniss” Space says.

“She heard about your skills and the connection between you, your family and this special place”

Mighty looks into Katniss her eyes and he has this
disarmingly feeling inside him.
Then he knows this is place is even more special then he thought it would be.
His two friends at this spot, the note from his grandmother, the good feeling he has.
He feels the connection. The three of them sit down on the bench next to the tree and they start talking about last night what happened in the Mick O'Connells.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

It was after midnight when Bogie left The Hanging Tree headquarters. It had been a long ass evening filled with paperwork and reports. Somebody had to do the damned things, and it was his turn so he wasn't going to bitch about it. He sighed a long tired sigh as he closed the office door behind him, turned the key in the lock, and then tested the door to make sure it was secure. Turning around, he squinted his eyes against the darkness of the poorly lit street. As his eyes adjusted to the lack of light, his gaze came to rest, as it often did, upon the solitary tree looming alone against the sky. Its branches still, not even a breeze to rustle the leaves.

Bogie walked over to the tree and ran his hand over the roughness of it's bark. "What, if anything, really happened here?" he wondered for the hundredth time. He had heard so many different tales. Surely there was some token of truth in one of them. But which one? Had one man been hanged here? Or several men? Was it all just bullshit designed to stir fear and imagination? Bogie had heard the others members talking among themselves now and then but each time he started asking questions, they would just look at each other and one of them would always say, "Don't worry about it kid. It's old news."

Bogie plucked a leaf from the tree and rolled it in his fingers as he turned away and slowly started walking the 3 blocks to the cramped apartment he called home. Someday, he thought. Someday somebody will let me in on the true story of that damned tree.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Legend of The Hanging Tree
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL