Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 10:55:14
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Contemplation of Family Pickpocketing and Mugging Started by: Kalebear on Jan 22, '15 05:08

Kale zips herself up into a long coat. A rough sweater underneath to keep her warm as she tugged on some gloves. This was the night. This was going to be her entrance into the streets with a topic of her own. She felt the excitement as she got on her new black boots.  Tonight was going to be cold but there was always people wandering around the Streets.

Strolling underneath the dimly lit street lights she finally emerged onto the busiest street. She held onto her purse more tightly as she began to see more and more people along the street. She spotted a nice working street light that she decided to stand under. What better way to be noticed?, she thought.

On her way to the street lamp she picked up a styrofoam cup of hot chocolate. Once under the lamp she cleared her throat and got the attention of the people closest to her.

"Evening folks."

Kale smiled one of her rare smiles at the people around her.

"Pickpocketing is such a wonderful conversation. It brings up so much like and dislikes. It also brings up larger conversations that make you curious about certain things. One of these things I would certainly like to address.

Pickpocketing and mugging among a district and their crews."

Kale pauses to sip on her hot chocolate. Warming herself in the chilly air.

"A district is supposed to act like a family, unless it is experimental. In former days people were not allowed to mug those in their districts. These rules have long been gone but people still formulate the thought that it is how it should be now. You should not want to mug your family after they have pickpocketed you.

Now let's say that you are not pickpocket friendly and you mug someone that has pickpocketed you. Behold! They come from your district. Perhaps you feel bad but I would not. Here is why: If a family member can just toss aside your wishes or not bother to even look then why should you adhere to theirs?

Personally, I would think that if you want that kind of respect to not get mugged that you give that respect. I mean after all if you pickpocket you automatically accept the chances of being mugged. It is the way of our world.

But here is the flip side, families are supposed to help each other, not hinder them. This is where the grey area comes in a little bit. While I can appreciate the stance that families stick together, I believe that they should respect one another as well.

I get it. I understand the concept of family so well it hurts. What I don't understand is what goes through someone's mind when they send their mugger a message like that? Do they simply believe that family outweighs respect?"

Kale turned her head to look at each of the bystanders that were listening to her. Her look was that of mild curiosity but also half amused at the concept she had just contemplated.

Report Post Tip

If good Batiatus were a man of lowly station as many of you are, as opposed to one in a position of political fucking prominence such as myself, and another low-born shit-eater from within my House were to insult me with a mugging, I would see that man to the afterlife, absent his hands.  Grey areas be fucked!

<p>

But as lanista who rules over his own Ludus, a fucking DOMINUS, the Senate and Magistrate in City Hall forbids me from prohibiting my Gladiators and servants from utilizing their mugging capabilities.  I therefore merely express gratitude to my people who refrain from mugging others who serve within the storied walls of The House of Batiatus, or anyone underneath the umbrella of the mighty Godfather Curtis.  Pickpocketing is a skill to be honed, much like one's weapon.  What better place to hone one's skills than within one's own ludus, free from fear of fucking retribution!

<p>

The humble opinion of a humble man.  Hail Batiatus.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I have to go with the good Batiatis this time, as much as it fucking pains me. My issue is not the lack of respect, my issue is the potential danger it puts us all in. For instance let's assume that Curtis Picks my pocket and I mug him, as per the city rules. 10 minutes later five of our top district members are gunned down in some far flung city. Curtis is stuck in NY and can't go for retribution. Well yes he can, but it costs a fucking fortune, and if these deaths are the start of a take down bid, raising that capital or just going to the bank to withdraw it puts the whole district at risk.

Further more, what if I have nothing about being pick pocket friendly or unfriendly in my profile and choose to mug him? Is that respectful? Is it respectful even if a member of another district or city with no sign of their stance on pick pocketing mugs him? What if he messages them and they ignore him completely? Is that disrespectful? I remember a time when you just didn't mug a godfather, crew leader or hand out of fear of getting fitted for a pine box or cement shoes or which ever other euphemism for death you prefer. Just my 2 cents.

Report Post Tip

Family is family, blood in and blood out. You don't harm your family, and you don't wish ill upon them. When you mug someone from your own crew, you've brought harm and danger to them. The set backs on not being able to travel, and potential lose of a weapon far out weight the chump change of $5000. If I where to steal from The_Stig, I'd gladly return the cash to him. He wouldn't mug me, because he understands the consequences it carries. Best case scenario, he drops me a line and ask me to stop in the future. That would be a request I would respect.

Stealing from family is but a little game among friends. Be kind to one another and return the cash. Don't mug family, it is bad for business, and that could be bad for your life span.

Report Post Tip
I really don't see how a simple pickpocket from a family member is disrespectful. With my own family I see it as we are all in this together and we should help one another out as much as possible. This means by furthering each other's criminal career as much as we can. And to do that pickpocketing is a fairly good way to gain experience in our criminal ways. If you don't like people taking your money, they should return it as we are a family. If they can't adhere to those wishes a sit down should take place, possibly with a crew leader or one of his hands. But attacking them as retribution for taking a few thousand for you can seriously cause serious issues like others have already stated. If your mugging which is an attack leads to your one and only cap hitter to lose his gun you just put your entire family in danger. Now if this gets out to your enemies they now know your good hitter is without a gun and if that this is their best chance to strike. I certainly would not want this to rest on my shoulders and if I were to mug a family member, especially one of the heads or one of our good hitters I would expect harsh consequences to ensue for this alone such as my bodyguards being killed off if I was worth anything to them, if I wasn't I would expect a quick sink to the floor of the nearest water way.
Report Post Tip

Listening to the discussion of five thousand, Tade thought he was going to get some free cash, but it appeared not. Listening on for a while, he waited for his moment to speak.

"Personally, I disregard all pickpocket warnings that I stumble across and accept all consequences for my actions, if I am then mugged it is my own fault and I don't go bitching to my crew leader or even Godfather over such a thing. I do not state whether I am friendly or not as it really does not bother me in the slightest, why would it? We are all Mafia and we break rules every day. One thing I do dislike though is from time to time I will notice someone in my pockets, I turn round to mug them and they've already ran to the airport like the coward they are, nice way to show your true colours.

If a family member wishes to dip into my pockets, then I should hope they have been well educated that every one reserves the right to mug, though if I am approached beforehand, I tend not to mug."

Report Post Tip
There are some things I cant understand too about this pickpocketing and mugging issue. First..it is only here in our shores do I see people wearing tags on their suits saying "pickpocket not friendly" "pickpocket friendly" and one time even saw "whack unfriendly". While I myself have noyhing against pickpockets as I excersice mu fingers on some CA's pockets,I dont feel the need to advertise it to the crowd. It goes too with mugging.

Second...."return what you get" Shit....the guy risks being mugged,possibly got away with it...the identifies himself by sending a bankreciept of the amount he has taken. I'll definanely mugg his ass for doing so.
Report Post Tip

Tony Capazzo listens in on the crowd as they all weigh their opinions. Kalebear has brought up a very interesting topic indeed and Tony has a bit to say about this. He outs his cigar and takes a step forward as the bystanders look on.

"I've heard from many that some people get mad about being pickpocketed and/or mugged. If someone pickpockets me well then more power to them, if the money is not returned I will retaliate with a mugging...maybe....Should they return the money back? Absolutely not, they pickpocketed fair and square as I have no requirements regarding pickpocketing stance but at the same time if you are willing to pickpocket you have to be willing to take the consequences."

Tony pauses for a moment.

"Now on the other hand if I pickpocket someone and I see they have no stance and they mug me in reply well then I can only blame myself, such is life. If I pickpocket someone who has no issues with this sort of thing I would expect them to honor that stance and not mug however if they do, once again such is life. In this thing of ours you can't cry over spilled milk."

Tony takes one more step forward as he continues on.

"Regarding the matter of pickpocketing one's own crew or city member. Personally I try my absolute best not to do it, if im not mistaken I've only pickpocketed a member of my city 2 or MAYBE 3 times and have NEVER mugged anyone from my crew or city. Sometimes there is no alternative but to pickpocket one of your own however. On the flip side I have been mugged by fellow crew members and city members but they have shown me the respect by returning the cash ALTHOUGH I have no stance. If they were to however take the cash and not return it I would have no issues with that."

Tony nods his head as he finishes up.

"I have no stance for a reason, because either way it's up to that person to use their judgement depending on what city or district they are from. Obviously fellow Philadelphians would get priority and special treatment over the rest. As far as the rest is concerned it's a toss up depending on what they do. Either way I respect their decision as long as they are willing to face the consequences of said decision."

Tony tips his fedora and gives his token charming smile as he nods once again and takes a step back.

Report Post Tip

Kale leaned against the light post. Her hands warmed with the hot chocolate. She took small sips as she had waited for someone to talk. Turning to hear a booming voice, she casually looked in the direction. Recognizing Batiatus as she listened on.

So Batiatus you are suggesting that honing a pickpocketing skill should be just as valuable as any other skill? Out of curiosity and I realize this is an extreme example, but would you also let your associates and members practice their shooting skills on each other as well?

Kale looked over at Raoul next.

I can appreciate your stance but a few things struck me a bit odd. If a Crewleader would so willing disrespect a stance of one of their members, why should they be saved from a beat down? I mean the guidelines on pickpocketing and mugging are so easy to remember. If you pickpocket someone, you automatically accept that a mugging may occur.

I can understand not wanting to put your own Crewleader into a waiting period. I think I get lucky with the leaders that I have worked for that do not stop me from mugging. But then I have yet to see them in my pockets.

What I am truly interested in, is why you think it is okay to go around pickpocketing those that are unfriendly to it in your own home? Would you steal the money for your sisters surgery out of her room too?

Kale smiles over at Ragnarok.

But what if not all family wish to partake in what you consider a "game" among them? What if perhaps that $5000 would have made an even tribute to their leader? Just the mere idea that people would so blatantly disrespect their own family makes me shiver.

She chuckles as she listens to afghan-mango.

I am sorry sir but it is not about the money entirely. To some the idea that respect is more important than someone's pickpocketing career. At least it is to me.

Kale heaves a sigh of relief. Someone that truly understands. She stared in wonder at TadePimmel and could only think to utter one word sentence.

Thank you.

Kale next turned to Franism.

Well if they went unidentified then it would not matter. You could not mug them, not even if they sent you a bank receipt.

Kale listened intently to TonyCapazzo.

I can understand expecting someone to honor their proclaimed stance. That would make much more sense at least to myself. It has always bothered me to see people claiming not to be Pickpocket friendly and yet they are pickpocketing everything that moves. Such a hypocritical thing to do..

Taking the last sip of her hot chocolate, Kale glances over.

I do appreciate all the thoughts that have been given. There is so much to think about.

Report Post Tip
Personally, I don't understand why this is a debate. Do what you think you need to do. I have found in my meandering of this thing of ours that some just feel the need to cry all the time. Others may want to get them to cry for some reason. It's boring to me, to say the least.
Report Post Tip
I guess I don't see how a mere $5,000 taken from family is disrespectful. If a family member wants their money back, they get it back and some. If they don't, like most since it's $5,000 I keep it. At least it is staying in the family which is what matters to me. Whether I'm the pick pocketer or the picketee. If a family member thinks it is disrespectful for another family member for grabbing a handful of cash from them maybe they should have a little sit down get to know your first. As you most likely have never talked to them before then grabbed their cash, and he's I could see how that would be a tad on the disrespectful side. But if you are my family member and I PP you we have talked quite a bit more than likely.
Report Post Tip

The way i see it if a person/crew want to do a PP competition or mugging competition then let them, who are we to judge what someone else is doing. if you don't find it respectful have a sit down and discuss it with your CL so that it doesn't happen, and if your CL doesn't  agree with you well too bad its the way it works. if your not the Chief then your an Indian and you respect your CL's wishes.

Mugging i can see a small problem due to the flight timer being delayed and someone might attack during it for that reason but thats a risk you take to have a little fun within your family.

that's like saying we shouldn't get drunk before war because we are gonna be hungover or still drunk when war breaks out.. its nothing you can control...You have to risk it to get the bicuit

Report Post Tip

Well Moonbeam, this is hardly crying. It is a debate that may have been dragged around the mud a bit over time, but its hardly tear filled. People change with the times, as do their opinions. Last generations pick pockets may be pro muggers now, and vice a versa. People are actually offering intelligent comments and thoughts on the topic. So while you find it boring and cry babyish, you're in the minority there.

Report Post Tip
I guess I just see it differently. People are obviously entitled to their own opinions, as I am to mine. I suppose it won't change anything. It certainly doesn't change me or my beliefs.
Report Post Tip

Yeah like Raggy poo said there's no reason to cry about criers that's kind of hypocritical say your opinion on the matter and move on. If you dont like the topic being talked about then move past it and go to another thread

Report Post Tip

Excuse me for bringing my Goomba wisdom upon you all, but here goes.

I don't see why this is perceived as a problem or indeed a subject worthy of discussion; I feel like you came out here just for the sake of 'discussing' something rather than actually wanting to resolve a true problem. I might be wrong, but I laugh at the irrelevance of this topic. If you actively represent you are going to mug then your family members should accept the possibility of being mugged if they pickpocket you. I usually mug when I see who pickpocketed me, but if it's family or friends I will (usually) refrain from doing so. I never mug if people ask me for permission to pickpocket, naturally.

Ragnarok

People offering intelligent comments and thoughts on the topic doesn't mean the original speech or the subject at hand isn't any good. I see my comments as reasonably intelligent, but that doesn't mean I find this street corner  rather insignificant [compared to some others]. I can still express my opinion here, like you can. Doesn't mean someone can't have an opinion. 

Report Post Tip

I am generally PP unfriendly to everyone, except my crew members who can PP me on the condition that they return it afterwards. My opinion is that you shouldn't simply disregard the wishes of your crew or district members who don't want their hard-earned money stolen. Sure they can mug you in return, but what kind of picture does it paint when people who should work together and protect each other at all times mug each other?

Report Post Tip

Kale had been watching the discussions just a little bit before she decided to pipe back up.

Moonbeam, if you feel this is not a discussion worthy of time then why are you joining it? No one is forcing anyone else to discuss it. It was something I had been thinking about and decided to bring up.

afghan-mango, I can respect that you had gotten to know them. However, that is not the case with everyone is it? Some people do more talking than others that is for sure. But come on now, surely you can see where stealing from family seems a bit odd in this lifestyle choice?

Bluntman, I was not speaking about the competitions. Although I would fully like to see people being docked marks for PPing the unfriendly in their district rather than encouraging the nuisance.

As far as mugging goes, why can you see it a problem? Why is mugging bad in your eyes but not pickpocketing those that don't want other peoples hands in their pockets? Should we so favour one and not the other?

gangplank: My point is not all family members accept the consequences of their actions. Some do in fact still whine over it. Which is I guess their right but I am more curious as to why they do so. Why they pull the "You shouldn't mug me because I am family" card when they have just so blatantly disregarded your own stance (if you are PP unfriendly).

Padrino, thank you for your opinions. I can ask the same question but flipped, what picture does it paint when someone that is supposed to be family disregards your own personal stance? If you are supposed to be working together you ought to be respecting each other eh?

Report Post Tip

Meh, looking at recent new speeches I see that it's more of a ''bring an issue to the streets'' rather than to accept it and/or deal with it. It isn't an issue that needs to be raised, as a matter of fact I don't think it is an issue at all. It's something that we have just to accept, because otherwise we can nitpick about, well, everything.

Report Post Tip

"I don't even know why people are still arguing, bickering whatever you want to call it, if someone gets into your pockets so what? We are all criminals so you need to deal with it, if someone reaches for me and I catch them, I am mugging regardless of who it is, whether it be a friend, someone from my district, my crew leader even my Godmother. They have all been bought up and educated over the rules so therefore they know the consequences."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Contemplation of Family Pickpocketing and Mugging
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL