Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 23:36:53
Page:  1 
What's in a name - The importance of bloodlines Started by: Goto on Mar 01, '15 22:20
Some say that a bloodline doesn't really exist; some say that it shouldn't matter. But yet, often it becomes apparent that bloodlines can matter. I could be the very same person, I could act just as I did now, and I would have less than when I had told people of my ancestors. Because ultimately the actions and connections of our ancestors do matter; today as much as back in their own lives. Doors can open and close with the whisper of a single name, and to me that is intriguing. Some people say that they are in no way their ancestors, and that they do not resemble them; in appearance and in soul. Only seldom us this true. Often we have young people running around - resembling their parents so much you wonder if the father or mother ever died..

Sometimes this is a good thing. If the parent was wise, smart and capable, then the child will surely surpass his ancestor through facing and overcoming new challenges. Sometimes the achievements of the parent count for the child, and perhaps that is a dangerous thing.

Upon saying the name of an ancestor, trust is earned, help is given and time is made for you.
Sometimes however, saying a name will condemn you to a certain death. The deeds of your ancestor(s) will haunt you, and sometimes one can be forced to hide his family tree, in the hopes of finding new fortunes with clean slate. Usually you are not held responsible for your ancestors action, lest you not repeat them. If you do, you and your kin shall be infamous for it; and you may be forced to abandon the legacy of your father, grandfather and so forth. In extreme cases you will find yourself hunted and killed relentlessly and mercilessly if your bloodline becomes known, even if you personally did not do anything wrong.

In the end my question is: Are bloodlines important, and is it good if they are?
Report Post Tip

The importance of your bloodline comes down to how well you are known. My family has been here for more years than most, and as a result of that quite a few people here know of my bloodline, and have worked with my ancestors in the past. I hope, that most of them will have only good to say about me, but of that I can't be certain, you'd have to ask them. It is true though that my family have never been rogues, they have never fucked over any family they have ever joined. Most if not all have worked hard, and done anything asked of them. A few of them have even had the honour of laying down their lives as defenders of their chosen family.

Does this offer me an advantage? Possibly. I seldom pray on my infamy. If asked who my father was, or my grandfather, I will answer truthfully, but I can't remember a time when a member of my family went to a CL and said, 'I am the son or so and so, may I join your crew?' However, I will admit that in times gone past, my family has been approached after a war, and told that their father was held in high regard and that they'd consider it an honour if my family member joined their crew. I don't think they are important though, bloodlines, fresh blood straight off the boat has the ability or capacity to be every bit as good if not better than I. My bloodline may offer me an occasional advantage, or occasionally a disadvantage, but that's just the way of the world in which we live.

Report Post Tip

I would say bloodlines are less important than the friends which your 'ancestors' make. If you want to be quickly accepted and respected then don't act like a douche, keep your nose clean and remember manners, but most importantly find a group of friends whom you and your future generations can 'work with'. 

Report Post Tip

Bloodlines mean a lot in this day and age. Some are forced to hide their true 'ancestry' because of prior bad decisions their line has made. Once doing that, now-a-days you're pinned as "hiding something" and killed for hiding your ancestry. SO in actuality, you are in a lose lose situation.

Be killed for who your parents were, or be killed because you didn't announce who your parents were.

Report Post Tip

In that case it helps to have a crewleader as friend; someone who will not spill the beans on your ancestor's identity so you may have a chance to live.

Report Post Tip

Ted heard there was a conversation going on, or maybe it was a debate, or perhaps an all out brawl. His intel was shoddy at best, but he decided to go and see what the commotion was about. This is when he noticed Goto standing there talking about something or other, he wasn't even entirely sure at first, but the man was always out to get Ted. So he had to be sneaky, as he walked through the crowd he began to steal various items of clothing from other people, until he finally reached Goto with an entirely different ensemble than what he usually wore, including a skirt and a monocle. He was beautiful and yet sophisticated, the perfect mixture. He was hoping the monocle would be enough to hide his identity as he spoke on the subject at hand.

"Oh ho! The invariable discussions we have here, am I not correct? Ho ho! All chiding aside, I would have to say that I believe that bloodlines do indeed matter more than a lot of people would admit, but why should they not? If a prominent member in society had a child, would that child not to some degree be held in a higher standing? Perhaps someone who did nothing but evil, would his children not attempt to spurn him, or lest they be thought of in the same way? Why should us mobsters be held in a higher standing to the point which we escape these same standards? If you do great things, then why should your child not be given a modicum of the respect, and if you do great evils, then why not be given a taste of the infamy? I have been held to both infamous and respected standings because of my father or mother who recently had passed, and I have never had any problem with it. As my family line moves on, depending on how they have acted at that specific time, then so do how people look at me, and rightly so, I do say! Ho ho!"

He wasn't sure if the get up and new found flowery words were enough for Goto to buy that he was indeed someone different, but at this point he did not care for he already said his piece. Grabbing at the embroidered hat which now lay atop his head, he ran from the discussion and hoped these words would resonate in the minds of the listeners.

Report Post Tip

Bloodlines. The conversation had already started, and Scarfo made his way over to join the crowd. He enjoyed a good conversation, and with his edginess and aggressive tendencies becoming less and less he felt more and more inclined to chin wag about things he felt more neutral about.

Their wasn't such a passion jolting him forward to speak, rather the urge to engage in healthy communication with his peers. Maybe his age was getting the better of him, or maybe it had something to do with those around him who lead by example.

Whatever the case, he felt a little refined, and stepped forward with a certain posture and presence that gave that image, at least that's what he personally thought, and felt.

"Well if your parents did something massively wrong, it has to stain your bloodline. Children coming through the same criminal world will be known as the son or daughter of so and so, because it's just how it is. If they did something completely out of line, then their kids will have to carry that burden.

It's unfortunate, yet it should also then have the current family members really thinking long and hard about the actions they take, and if those actions will be easily forgiven, or not."

Scarfo brushed his hand down on his grey silk tie as he contemplated further before speaking.

"It's also the same in the opposite light. If someone did something outstanding and really made a big impression on the community and criminal world in a positive way, that will also be remembered. Their sons and daughters, their children, will benefit from their respected and revered deeds.

The sons and daughters of that name will then come through with an easier time, and may just get benefits that others wouldn't. It's a great thing to be known as the son or daughter of a famous Mafioso, and if people are willing to treat you better, open more doors for you, and move you along quicker because of it, then so be it."

Scarfo raised his right hand with his index finger in the air, signalling he needed a short moment. He covered his mouth with the other hand and coughed. The dust in the street was beginning to blow about a little more as a breeze picked up and it gave his throat a slight itch. After having a hearty cough, Scarfo continued.

"So to finish up here there's a definite balance, and it can go either way depending on someone's deeds and the name they make for themselves. You're parents have either made it easier or harder for you, and you have the same opportunity and responsibility to do the same for your children to follow. It makes it even more important to recognize the way your peers see you, and how you effect people around you."

Report Post Tip

Cin listens to everyone that has gone before her. Smiling politely as she steps forward.

Bloodlines eh? As a supposed "bad" line I have to laugh. Most of the advantages you see is that of a silver spoon. Is this the way that leaders want to look? As if people no longer have to do hard work around this place?

My line once had a leader that told her she had to work twice as hard as everyone else. That she found rather laughable since she was already working as hard as she possibly could. Let's say she didn't stick around too long there. This may seem stupid but when you are putting everything you have already into a leader for something like that to be said.. Well you might as well just backhand the person and spit on them. Which I suppose most would say is fair enough.

But is it? You would truly want to piss off someone doing their best? I can't imagine why. People are always preaching they want members that will work hard for them. Then they get the opportunity to have one, only to be a massive dick? Hardly seems like that person should bother working for them.

Pausing momentarily she gathers the rest of her thoughts.

Let's be truthful. A lot of people base their opinions on a line from what they have heard. Not entirely based on what they have seen for themselves. This clearly hardly allows you to judge if its all what you heard, not what you have seen. No one will ever have all the facts since there is more than just one side of the story and a great deal more of variables involved.

So if bloodlines are important then perhaps it's just to appease people's consciences. I can't see the importance in them myself. I believe every 'bad' line has the ability to do good through one of their kins and I believe that every 'good' line has probably done something stupid at some point or has the potential to.

Cin backs away from the crowd. Slipping back through the alleys and off to do some business in the seedier spots of the city.

Report Post Tip

Upon saying the name of an ancestor, trust is earned, help is given and time is made for you.
Sometimes however, saying a name will condemn you to a certain death. The deeds of your ancestor(s) will haunt you, and sometimes one can be forced to hide his family tree, in the hopes of finding new fortunes with clean slate.

This all depends upon who you're saying the name of your ancestor to. There are personalities here that are a lot more forgiving than others, there are lineages here who will always think they can 'bring out the good side' of someone's bloodline again. It's upto those seeking to repent the sins of their fathers/mothers to find these people out.

There are also cases where bloodlines aren't necessarily forgiven for their past crimes, but are 'tolerated' in the hope that they will one day prove that they can change.

To answer your question, it shouldn't be important (and probably wouldn't be as much so with a larger userbase), but a persons bloodline does have an effect on almost everyone's reaction to them. Sometimes people use it to their advantage, sometimes they do their utmost to hide it. My own bloodline has veered onto both sides of that fence.

Report Post Tip
quietly I listen to the words of wisdom .If this did not matter many life would not been splatter,destroy even retired
Report Post Tip

Casually strolling down the street, Penny sees a slight commotion across the way. Now usually she is one to steer clear of crowds like that but something sparked her to investigate what was going on. Perhaps she felt venturous or maybe she was just looking to see something interesting so she crossed the street and slowly made her way to the group that was gathered. She showed a bit late but did catch Goto finishing up talking, he mentioned something about bloodlines. Knowing a little bit about this topic Penny decided to step out of the shadows and say what was on her mind.

She quietly cleared her throat and waited for the most opportune time to speak

"I over heard you guys talking about the importance of bloodlines or the lack of importance depending on your stance. Now for me in the time I have been around these parts have noticed a lot of great bloodlines and some of which still to this day can't avoid the legacy their ancestors have dropped on them. They have to hide in fear of their life and if they don't hide they will inevitability meet a gruesome fate."

Penny takes a quick breathe and continues

"I understand some bloodlines no matter how many generations pass by are still the same person just in a different pair of shoes, but do we really need to be labeling bloodlines cause not everyone is the same. I know I'm just speaking into the wind. On another note I agree with StopKillingMe. What really matters are the friends that your ancestors make along the way, that is the true way to make it in this world."

Penny stops her rambling as everyone starts looking at her...

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What's in a name - The importance of bloodlines
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL