Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 17:54:26
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Morals and Fundamentals Started by: RoryRourke on Mar 08, '15 00:09

Goto smiles at Curtis, he is happy to see that a Godfather took the time to address his concerns. After listening intently he opened his mouth to respectfully lay out his thoughts.

Firstly, Goto, I see your point about support comments for speeches being seemingly superfluous but I disagree. I have seen people bring an idea to the street and seen that idea flounder with uncertainty. I have then seen a leader of influence make such a simple comment as the one you suggested and ignite the fading subject into a lively discussion. Sometimes simple acts of support can swing the impartial observer into feeling one way or another and taking part. 

I usually ask my leader or a close to friend to scan over what I am planning to speak of; and if they think the speech is solid enough I will present it to the community. I usually do the same with my ideas. I think it would be better to ask for this support in private, but I see how a public approval by a leader can 'boost' the topic, even if that leader doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Indeed showing such simple forms of support can be immeasurably helpful to less experienced voices trying to find their feet out here in the streets. These streets can be very intimidating to new participants and a little backing from a known figure in the community can be just what the person need to continue with their point and argue their case. Support and encouragement are everything. 

These streets can be intimidating to youngsters indeed, and I like it that way. While I would somewhat appreciate it if a leaders showed his support, I would find it way more helpful if he came out and added his 'share' to my idea or speech and gave me constructive criticism. 

Secondly, the opinion that a voice isn't an important attribute for a leader to have is something I will never agree with. You can say there are a plethora of other skills a leader needs and that is obvious. But a voice is a very important one. You could point at successful leaders, ever GodfatherTetley and say he doesn't speak much but he has and does when needed. He possesses the skills and is a more than worth mental adversary. Try challenging him about something and see what happens.    

I would point towards Godfather Tetley and say that someone can be an great and inspiring leader without (much) street activity. People seem to know him well enough.

Also, I've shot people for having no fucking idea who they are. Because I've never spoken to them and never seen them in the street. They were, literally, no-marks. I'm not the only one either. I've had group discussions with other leaders and I know my ancestors have, where people have been killed simply because they contributed absolutely nothing to the community as a whole. A leader's voice means a lot more than you are giving it credit for. It's a very important tool in the leader's arsenal.

If I was in power, I would shoot [another leader] with a potent gun if I didn't know him. But before that, I would try and talk to him on a more personal level. I would still shoot the guy if I saw him on the streets more often, because I still don't know him more than I can see from his street appearances, which frankly doesn't tell me that much.

The minimum requirement for auth may seem forced from the perspective you are viewing it but it is also its own truth. It tells the observer everything they need to know about the leader's attitude toward the streets. If they have done the bare minimum and maybe avoided an actual challenging discussion in favour of a passive story, what does that tell you about them, their attitude and their capabilities?

It would depend on the situation. I feel like you're referring to Mr. Burke's little speech, and I would agree that it might be viewed as somewhat lackluster. But then again, Mr. Burke has had very little sleep at the time and otherwordly matters took preference. He still went out and fulfilled the requirements. Then, when he had more time, he made another speech. His street presence seems to be improving, and he now goes beyond the bare minimum. Also I don't judge leaders solely on street presence, so I wouldn't base who I'm joining on that. 

I think it only tells them about what they do on the streets. Maybe they're not the best street speaker, but they might be a caring and good leader in the privacy of his crew. 

f the new leader has embraced the idea and made several ventures into discussions and fought their corner in conversation, what does that tell you about their capabilities? It might not be conclusive in determining their overall capacity to manage people and assert governance over their family but it (at least for me) tells you a lot about their general capabilities.

It depends. It might make me think they're too distanced from the average Joe. Especially when I see them talking about the 'good ol' days', something my bloodline was never part of. I can appreciate it, but I wouldn't base my judgement on them off it .

Goto leans towards Rose-Raje for a moment.

So speaking up in discussions....doesn't add much? I disagree.  In my opinion it matters.  It is good to know where people stand, and to know their opinions on matters.  If you know where someone stands, it can aid in your determination if you do business with them, as well as other things 

Speaking up in a discussion adds something if you have something to add. Not if you repeat what has been said, albeit worded slightly else. Someone saying: 'What an excellent speech that was, fantastic work, 100 % agree.' doesn't really tell me anything about it, I don't learn from it, I don't feel it added something. But that's my opinion, you can have yours.

Goto turns to LordBlackwod and listens to what he has to say. He nods and then begins to respond to his points.

You can't lead by example if you are mute and in your little corner just building a crew/district or city. Leading is about being out in the public, open to people, being able to inspire them through words and actions. 

I disagree that leadership is necessarily about being out in the public and being open. Not everything needs to be done in the streets. Often I can learn much more in the 'crew coffee shop' and from private conversations with my leader. He can show me his example there. Not everyone and everything should be learnt in the streets. 

leader who chooses to shy away from speeches and such is not inspiring anyone, well perhaps he is within his crew, but thats not enough.

Why is that not enough? I expect that my leader inspires me, teaches me and protect me. Me. Me and my comrades. Not everyone else on the streets. I thought the plight of a crewleader is to his crew?

Everyone likes to hear the opinion of leaders out in the streets because those opinions mean something, they carry weight and mass. 

If I hear something I think is meaningless or stupid from a leader, I will regard them as such. To me they won't have any meaning. Again, my opinion is based upon my experiences. Your experience and thus your opinion may very well differ from mine.

When a leader is vocal, everyone knows what he likes, dislikes and how he/she thinks.

Should we know this? I feel like that leader would present himself too openly, give away who he is too much. If he is so open to his own family, fine. Great. Excellent. But to the whole community? I don't think that's always for the best.

Goto then turns to a familiar face, a face that he recognizes as belong to Scarfo.

"I think this is the point. We wont truly get to know our peers in this thing, if they don't talk. How will they make connections? How will we be able to judge their interaction skills? How can they even conduct business, if they are too afraid to speak their minds? Who would actually want to follow someone, who's character isn't skilled at interacting with people? How can they even get a leadership role, if they can't communicate coherently to a group of people? How can they influence people, if they lack the ability to be charismatic?" 

If we really want to know them, we can contact them. I trust that the people who authed them have enough trust in their capabilities and interaction skills. I don't really feel like I should know all that.

"And how in the hell can they rally their men to follow them into wars, to bleed for them, to get on board with their vision and their ambitions, if they lack that special quality of being able to inspire their men into action through a rousing purposeful speech?"

Once again, how they present themselves in the street might differ from how they present themselves to their family. And their family is what matters in the situation you described. Not some stranger from another city.

"In the end the rules aren't the enemy. Society has rules. Governments have rules. Businesses have rules. We all have your own rules. These rules we use and live by, they guide us day to day to live to certain standards. I suggest not seeing the rule regarding street presence as something else to bash, but to use to hold others accountable for their own personal lack of standards in this area. Stop hating on the ruling, and start putting the responsibility where it should be, on the shoulders of those men and women who wish to become our leaders." 

I agree that we need rules. I just happen to disagree about the need of this particular rule. I don't hate it, I disagree with it and I've tried to explain that. I think I've said everything I wanted to say about the subject now. 

Report Post Tip

Goto

I disagree that leadership is necessarily about being out in the public and being open. Not everything needs to be done in the streets. Often I can learn much more in the 'crew coffee shop' and from private conversations with my leader. He can show me his example there. Not everyone and everything should be learnt in the streets. 

Should we know this? I feel like that leader would present himself too openly, give away who he is too much. If he is so open to his own family, fine. Great. Excellent. But to the whole community? I don't think that's always for the best.

I think I am going to address both these points together. Firstly, its not necessary for a leader to come out and do everything in the open. He can  certainly sit back in his office and do everything behind closed doors. But that also means he's not interacting with people in the community as a whole. Now why do I think thats necessary? Well just one small example, most of Detroit just got shot on the basis of being closed doors and not saying much to the rest of the community. Was it right? Was it wrong? I don't know. But I know this. When leaders tend to be secretive with their dealings, others tend to assume things. Assumptions in our line of work rarely are positive....so long story short, you can always do things behind close doors and never voice your opinions. But then be ready to pay the price when crap hits the fan!!!

Why is that not enough? I expect that my leader inspires me, teaches me and protect me. Me. Me and my comrades. Not everyone else on the streets. I thought the plight of a crewleader is to his crew

Yes you are right, the plight of the CL is to his crew. But most CL's rarely take this job without high aspirations...the next promo in their line of work is GodFather. I am not saying they all do it for that reason, but its just the natural order of accession. Now if as a CL you think your only responsibility is to your members and thats it...you got a thing coming to ya. CL's that have a broad horizon/vision usually are vocal, and its no surprise their bloodlines achieve GodFather more than others. Its because they can see past the trees in the forest. But I guess if your the type of CL that likes to bunker up and hope you make it. More power to ya! 

If I hear something I think is meaningless or stupid from a leader, I will regard them as such. To me they won't have any meaning. Again, my opinion is based upon my experiences. Your experience and thus your opinion may very well differ from mine.

Im certainly not going to say that every opinion or speech by every leader is on point or coherent. There are variations of players about, some learning how to hold their own in the streets, others that have perfected it. Most of the time a leader steps out here to make a impact speech...not for the normal bickering back and forward. But it does vary from leader to leader. So won't say they ALL matter...but if your good at it you will reap the rewards. If you are bad at it, well...history says your downfall maybe your words. But this aint your moma's swimming pool out here. Welcome to the shark tank!!!

Report Post Tip

The lack of communication of parts of Detroit with the community could have  been sold by them establishing bonds through meeting with the people that matter, i.e the good people of New York. Being silent on the street doesn't mean you're secretive everywhere, although it appears that this was the case with some people from Detroit.

The plight of a leader is to his crew and he should think of his crew and their well-being as being above a possible promotion.

If you are good at it, good for you, and you deserve the perks of being active on the streets! If you're bad or painstakingly mediocre at it, better stay silent. That's my opinion at least.

Report Post Tip

If you are good at it, good for you, and you deserve the perks of being active on the streets! If you're bad or painstakingly mediocre at it, better stay silent. That's my opinion at least.

I think we can both agree on this one! Sometimes its best to keep hush. I am not saying thats the road to take, but if you know your going to crash...stay off the highways!!! 

Report Post Tip

The sun ascended high above the city of Philadelphia. It was a cold day but thankfully for all the traders in the market it was dry. No rain to drive away the customers and today’s profits. Phantom knew what the weather would be like today. The clothes he wore reflected this. Phantom wore a long black coat with a warm thick wool interior. There was a slight breeze adding to the chill in the air. Phantom leaned against a stall at the back of the market, smoking a cigarette to keep warm. He laid still, concealed in the darkness of shadows.

Phantom observed a young Mafioso, known locally as RoryRourke pull a soapbox into the center of the market. He stood up on it and expressed his thoughts with everyone in the market that would listen. Phantom listened intensively with his full undivided attention. Phantom waited until the speaker was done talking, he tossed his cigarette into the gutter. He fixed his hat which was nearly blown off him because of the wind. Phantom stepped forward out of the shadow revealing himself to everyone around. Phantom cleared his throat and raised his voice so all could hear him especially over the howl of the wind.

“It is an excellent topic that you have brought up here today Rory, It is a subject that I have thought a lot of recently. It is one that I hold a strong opinion on. A strong street presence is a trait that is normally sought after.  I believe the street presence must be consistent but not daily. They need to demonstrate a strong ability to voice their opinion and create a strong street presence. In fairness I don’t think an enormous amount of street presence will determine whether someone will make a great leader although to be one of the best you must be a well known figure in the streets. I agree with you Rory in the sense that there is a fine line between discussion and disrespect; leaders should voice their opinion openly and freely as long as a leader has respect on the streets.”

Report Post Tip

Walking down the streets of Philly Brielle notices a crowd forming in the distance. She can't quite make out who is all there but she thinks she hears some familiar voices. She squints her eyes trying to get a better look but it does her no good so she proceeds to just step a little bit closer trying not to be too be noticed being nosy. She inches closer and closer, by now the crowd has grown to quite a number and the faces begin to come clear.

She decided to find out what was going on, quietly she finds a nice spot, a light post that was just out of the ring of people. She sat back and listened and people were going back and fourth... Morals... Fundamentals... Street Presence... she noticed the ongoing trend, there was a slight pause in the conversation as everyone was waiting for someone else to speak. Brielle knew this was the perfect time to jump in, she pushed herself off the light post and politely wiggled her way through the crowd. Finding herself in the middle she stood up on the soap box gently clear her throat took her hat off and began to speak.

"Now this seems like a topic that has been thrown around quite often in the past months, and I know I'm showing up to this conversation a bit late so excuse me for going backwards. RoryRourke you make a great point Leaders are made in the streets but are the streets the ones that actually make the leaders? The presence of a leader in the streets is an integral part of the way this world runs they have to be vocal but not all the time. Doesn't a good leader usually have people to handle presence in the streets? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that leaders shouldn't be present but a good leader picks and chooses their battles wisely."

"Like Rose-Raje stated earlier a politicians way of life is how they present themselves out in public: this is how they perceive themselves, this is how they get the people to like them, this how they get people to agree with what they are saying and this how they get people to follow them. So without street presence how do you know who they are?"

"Without the streets and the people that speak in them in this world would be a simple mindless world, tasks would include a drug run here and a petty crime there day in and day out. A simple set of tasks that is seemingly fit for a robot."

Brielle took a look around everyone was staring directly at her, she stepped off the box put her hat back on and joined the crowd waiting to here what else was about to be said.

Report Post Tip

I personally feel like there is a lot of importance to be found in opinions and attitudes, without these we cannot truly know each other or the situations we find ourselves in. Honestly, I would never follow a leader and I certainly would not respect a leader who didn't have a street presence, simply because I wouldn't be sure where they stood on the things that matter, at the end of the day politics is essential to any environment. I want my opinion to line up as close as possible with those that I follow. 

I'm not saying you should feel like you cant be quiet but you certainly cant get mad if people don't respect you as much because at the end of day they don't know you, they don't know how you think, where you stand and all of this is essential especially for a leader. As I have said before if it doesn't come naturally it should be seen as a responsibility of a leader just like any other responsibility. This isn't to say you should just quote mindless dribble and make sweeping statements with no grounding, if it doesn't come naturally then you practice just like anything else.

My final point is on the argument about saying your opinion on a subject even if it has already been said. This is nonsense to me to be quite true, this isn't a standard message board where you can just be told 'That's been posted elsewhere, move along', these are policy's, rules, and situations which can only be influenced by good solid opinions and everyone's should matter. I personally feel like it is very dangerous territory to state something shouldn't be said because it already has been said, after all the last thing we should want is people feeling their opinion doesn't matter.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Morals and Fundamentals
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL