Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 20:35:54
Page:  1 
Another Speech About Street Presence. Started by: Goku on Mar 09, '15 18:13

Goku sat in his tiny office on the South Side of town, lost in thought. A cigarette had burned down to the butt in his fingers, he had completely forgotten to smoke it. He jumped as the cherry burned his index finger.

"Damnit." He cursed to himself, and sucked on the finger for a moment. Mistake, this just made the burn feel worse.

He had been thinking on a subject for a couple of days now. A lot had been made of the streets recently. He felt now was as good a time as ever to make an appearance and pipe up on some things.

Making his way out of the office, he took a short walk down to the corner where folks met up in Chicago. He smoked another cigarette as he listened to a couple of others speak. This is what he did mostly. He didn't always chip in on a subject, but he liked to come out and hear what people had to say. But not today.

"I'd like to bring up something today, that has received a lot of attention over the last couple of days." He tossed his cigarette into a storm drain and continued. "A lot has been made about the street presence of a leader in recent weeks. This is excellent, I have always felt that street presence and the ability to be well spoken is a vital part of being a leader. But what about the rest of the masses?"

"My ancestors believed that anyone, anyone, who wanted to be "in the circle" should have street presence. In other words, in order to be made, you would have to be known. Not just to the leader, but to the entire world. I feel the honor of made man isn't something that the younger generation has had pressed upon them. A lot of times ranks are just given out, due to factors like earning prowess, gun skills, or bloodline connections."

People were beginning to grumble. Goku smiled to himself.

"Ah yes. You've heard this before haven't you? It's too much to ask for, it will dilute the quality of the streets, lottie dottie dah. These things may be true. But in my opinion, it will improve the quality of this world's button men. If you weed out the ignorant, the stupid, the lazy, then you are left only with hard working, intelligent people who care about this world.

"Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps being known isn't important unless you want to be a leader. I'm certainly not pushing for a country-wide requirement for made man. That sort of thing, while possibly quite beneficial, would take many leaders and people more important than I working together toward a common goal. And people would whine. "Earl got made man 3 months ago, but now there's a rule that says I can't unless I talk, it's not fair!"

"I guess the real reason I'm out here is to just create a discussion on the topic, and gauge out how the rest of you feel on the matter. The streets are currently in the best state my line has seen in many years. I feel now is a good time to bring it up, because it really does seem like the streets are taking on a greater importance now than they have recently. Most of us agree that a leader should be active out here in public. But what about the rest of us? The hands, the sponsors, the associates. Everyone has to make an effort in order for this place to become vital to our livelihood once again."

With a last smile, he stepped back from the corner and made room for someone else to share their thoughts.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

I don't agree with the requirement on leaders already, to have it for made man.. seems a bit too much for me. I can somewhat accept that these rules might be needed for a leader, but to become a Made Man? No.

A lot of times ranks are just given out, due to factors like earning prowess, gun skills, or bloodline connections.

I think that the first two are way more important [to become a Made Man] than appearing on the streets. And you don't necessarily have to be ignorant, stupid or lazy if you're not willing to participate in street discussions. 

Report Post Tip

Fair point Goto.

As I said, I'm not suggesting or pushing for a requirement. I simply wanted to see what people thought about the matter.

Why is it though, that you feel Earning or shooting are more important? Obviously, having a big gun can take you places. But Transporter had a big gun, and he was killed because no one knew who the hell he was.

Gin made a lot of money, but because of his lack of street activity, no one knew who the hell he was. (Side bar, I did, and thought he would have done well, but this is a good example to use on the fact that if you aren't making an effort to make yourself known to the rest of this world, you're not doing yourself any favors.)

A lot of people have no desire to be great, or to become a leader. I don't feel that just because this is true, that they shouldn't come out here and speak up. Every opinion is important, and everyone has different thoughts on a subject. Who knows, maybe someone who is scared to speak finally nuts up and does it, and changes a few people's opinions on them or on the subject they speak of. 

Report Post Tip

Transporter could have reached out through other methods of communicating [with the other Godfathers]. I think actually mailing the other Godfathers is a better way to form new bonds. I had no doubts that Gin would do well, since I trust in the judgement of Don Lexie. I didn't need to see him on the streets for that. But I can see what you mean and I kinda agree, but I'll always be a little resistant.

His death was unfortunate indeed.

Report Post Tip

While I would have to agree and disagree we all have our own place in this world, whether it be for Gun skills,earnings or whatever.

If we were all the same this game would be boring, I think if you are a leader that you should at least be in communications with your crew and not leaving them in the dark all the time. Communication is key for a great crew and city.

I work a full time job and type and use my brain all freaking day, I prefer not to have to come to the streets and Role play.

Like I said we all have different roles and it should not be something forced. 

Report Post Tip

As a stern proponent for requiring Streets activity for leaders, I must disagree. The reason I push so hard for leaders to make themselves known to these Streets is because they aren't just a mafioso. They aren't like everyone else. They have to step up, put themselves above the rest, and make a name for themselves. There's a reason we call Crewleader bold suits; because they're supposed to be recognizable and different from the rest. When they step up into a new HQ, they embolden their name and must also embolden their character.

This world is generally in one of two "states": words, and actions. In times of peace between the cities, we progress the narrative of our world with our words. Discussions, speeches, rules, rulings, arguments, etc. all help to shape what this world looks like. Actions, such as authing someone, moving to another city, enforcing rulings, takedowns, wars, etc. also shape what this world looks like, but in a different way. The purpose of crewleading is to grasp both of those methods and use them to further themselves, their crew, or their district. We cannot allow crewleaders to simply twiddle their thumbs and wait for the next action, for then they're not contributing anything to our world's narrative. If you have no actions to contribute, then you must contribute words. Otherwise, you don't deserve your HQ. You're just like anyone else, and you cheapen the value of that HQ.

Now, this distinction between leaders and members wouldn't make any sense if I also called for button men to do the same thing. I don't think it's the role of button men to progress the narrative of this world; their job is to serve their interests and their crew's interests as best they can, and if that means speaking in the Streets, then so be it. The purpose of button men lies with their crew, while the purpose of crewleading lies with Our Thing. I don't want to use the word "forced," but that's what it is; the only ones who ought to be forced into the Streets are crewleaders. And I don't mean "forced" like, Curtis messages every CL to make sure they've brought a speech every week. I mean, they are weakening themselves and cheapening the whole narrative of this world when they don't participate. In that way, they should feel obligated to provide some words when there's so much time between actions.

Report Post Tip

I may be too green to have any influence on this discussion and therefore you may not take my words seriously, however, although I have never made a major impact upon this game I have seen many crews rise and fall from behind the shadows.  

The reason why I say this is there has been one constant through the many years I've on and off watched this all unfold, and that's the real changes and the truly best moments I have seen have been started or explained on these streets. Adding to that the best leaders I have witnessed have all had some level of charisma and oratory, they knew how to conduct themselves and as Denam pointed out 'added to the narrative'. After all without the great narrative which is created by both 'actions' and 'words' combined, both lose much of their purpose and meaning.

<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)">Overall, although I don't like to think of somebody missing out on their dream role because they may not wish to take part much in the streets, I think it has to be seen as a </font>responsibility<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)"> just like any other. And as far as made men needing to take part I think yes it is important but no it isn't and </font>shouldn't<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)"> be seen as essential but it should be noted this can obviously be seen as a desirable attribute in any person wishing to be promoted. </font>

Also hello to any of you I have yet to meet, you will be seeing a lot more of me.

Report Post Tip

I think I may have been a bit vague, or unclear.

It is not my desire to see every person in this world starting their own speech here on the streets. Moreso, I am trying to say that every person should make an effort to give their input in the streets. Voice their opinions, let their stance be known.

Just because you started your own speech doesn't mean you have street presence. I look more for the input and content of people's replies and reactions to speeches other people have brought forth.

Report Post Tip

After listening to Goku speak, Brielle decides to voice her opinion on this matter.

"I will be the first to say that I have never up until recently have been quite vocal on the streets. Was just something that I have never been compelled to get into like I said until recently. As part of this world I do now see the importance of the streets and having a presence out there. It isn't necessarily let your core crew get to know you but in fact the mafia world as a whole. With regards to crew leaders I think it is a most that you have some street presence otherwise whats the point in being a leader if you can join the masses and express your opinion in the open market?"

"Now on the made man, I 100% agree that ranks are given out way too easy. Most people expect that since they are 11 days and have 25 units that it entitles them to get their button which I think is pretty shitty. What's the point of the rank if you don't have to work for it? I for one would love to see more requirements to get your button and in turn go up through the ranks each rank meaning more and more with each rank gained. It would make the ranks mean much more then what they are now." 

I know I got a little side tracked but yes street presence is important in this world and more people need to start getting involved

Brielle finishes speaking and waits for others to chime in

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Cin smiled as she listened. This was a topic that she loved and hated at the same time.

While I definitely agree that leaders and hands should by all means be vocal. I can see how associates would find it hard. 

My line first came to these shores when speaking was mandatory for your button. It was a struggle, just learning the ropes and then having to speak in front of so many! But it happened. It took a lot of time for my line to be able to get into heated discussions without getting themselves killed. It took a lot of practice. So I know from many journals that speaking is not everyone's cup of tea.

I am conflicted on pushing it onto associates for their buttons based on that fact, but at the same time I would love to see more people speaking up. I want to see more people having thoughts and opinions heard. I believe in order for that to happen we may need to lower our harping on those that may not speak as right as we think they should the first time they stepped out here. To encourage rather than criticize would be the biggest help to seeing more faces out in the streets.

I understand that a leaders job is not mainly to be vocal in public but to care about their families. I really do get that but at the same time I think it is important for those arriving on our shores to see something that would suggest what these leaders and their hands stand for. What they believe on certain topics and ideas.

Perhaps I dream too big, but I would certainly like to see it enforced with leaders and hands at the very least.

She reached into her purse and pulled out a flask. She took a long sip before putting the lid back on and shoving it into her purse once more.

Report Post Tip

My ancestors have worked for many families upon these shores and they have documented, to me, the different expectations and requirements  for members to attain certain goals. 

The question you ask is age old, but yet there will never be a definitive answer, only that of opinion and the current mood. 

We have seen periods in history where made men are inducted willy nilly into the family, where the value and respect of the position is disregarded in an attempt to keep HQ numbers up or increase the earning power. Personally, I think we are in a much better place with regards to this at the moment. Not in an ideal place, but preferable to some periods in time at least. 

For me personally, anyone who aims to ascend to the inner circle of a family, made and above should have some kind of street presence. That is at least, how it would be if I were to run my own organisation. Clearly, street presence is not the only important factor to consider before opening the books to a new member, but it is certainly a factor that needs full consideration. 

Made men, are supposed to be people of honour. People who can be relied upon to back their families and friends, not only with their weapons but with their words also. Those in the upper echelons of the families should command respect, it's the defining pinnacle of a mobsters life, being inducted into the true family, and to command true respect, you have to have some form of presence, in my opinion.

As for the debate around diluting the quality, we already see threads and replies that would make more worthy toilet paper. For the most part however, those who speak regularly on our streets do so well and confidently. Quality does not always have to be compromised in the face of quantity, it comes down to a basic level of education and morals, of which should be gained before any associate can even be considered for acceptance in the family. 

Rory leant back against a gas lamp, enjoying the ongoing discussion on a topic he felt so passionately about.

Report Post Tip
Vengeance was skulking in the shadows listening to Goku. He reached into his bag and pulled out his fathers journal and saw that he had ancestors who had experienced the same thing that was being discussed.

My friend Goku. I completely agree with you on this matter. Requiring at least 1 street thread to show that you arent just here to click a mouse a few times an hour is not to much to ask.

I would like to see more leaders who can articulate a sentence. Now dont get me wrong, im not trying to be an ass. Im just wanting to know as a lowly thug with no way to protect myself that my safety is not a concern. This would show me as a member of that crew that he or she is making an attempt to establish a connection with the rest of the world. As we have seen again and again, you cannot be a CL and exclude your self and family from the rest of this world and live to tell the tale. I mean no disrespect to the current leaders. this is a text based role playing game after all, thats all im trying to say.
Report Post Tip

Chuck walks out on to the street corner. He pulls the brim of his hat down to hide his eyes. He tries to see who he may recognize. Or even worse, who may recognize him. 

So no I’m not a speech writer and I never will be. My inability as a writer should not hold me back from advancing in this community. I work hard for my family everyday. I have donated more than 50 million dollars to some of them. I have always been a hundred percent loyal to my family. I always will be. Don’t under estimate my willingness to work with others. I can do that. Just please don’t hold me back because of my poor writing skills.

Chuck walks over to the telephone poll, pulls a paper and a nail from his over coat. He looks around and pulls his 357 smith & wesson from his waist band. Using the butt of his revolver he nails up the the paper. It reads: “Speech writer wanted ASAP Pays well. Please see Chuck”

Report Post Tip

This discussion is a thing that has indeed, as Goku stated when he first started this thread, been brought up countless amount of times.

I do not think that this will be the end of it, the streets are full of items like this one, and that's a good thing.
Because it leads to people actually starting their own threads.

Report Post Tip

While I'm ok with the required street presence for crew leaders, as it is important, I think it's a bit much to expect for promotions. It forces people to then do what they may not want to in order to advance in this world. They may accept not being able to become a CL due to not having a street presence, but to deny them a promotion because they choose to avoid the streets doesn't seem right to me. Everyone has something they want to accomplish here, and not everyone cares to speak up the in streets. Maybe they just want to sit back and build their gun or work hard building money for their crew. There's nothing wrong with that and they shouldn't be held back because they'd rather focus on that than speaking in the streets.

Now having said that, it would definitely be nice to see more people out here speaking, but I'm not really for forcing people if they don't want to. It just seems like there's better ways to entice people to come out onto the streets than having it as a ranking requirement.

Report Post Tip

As Heroin walks the streets he notices a brother of his talking about presence out on these very streets. Heroin decides to join on in.

You are right. Leaders, hands and even members should be more active out here. This world is not just ran by money alone. We as in people need voice, and voice shall be heard. How generous we are to see such people stand for change in the streets.This thing of ours needs, reason, war speeches, opinions of things at the current time matter etc. This show others out there we are not just mutes. 

To come out here Goku and remind people is quite refreshing. It seems this topic is brought up more on a regular bases now. I am really excited to finally see our community more and more involved on the streets. A lot of us remember a time when it was requirement to make such appearances just be made. Those times are long gone but not forgotten. 

I think we may see some changes going on right before our own eyes. That's for sure.  

Report Post Tip

Goku Grinned at chuck

"I might just have to take you up on that one. hmmm."

An interesting idea had suddenly occrured to Goku, a business opportunity he might soon take advantage of. He began pacing around the corner, thinking to himself. But he did not take off just yet. He had already heard so many excellent opinions on the matter, and he wanted to stick around and hear some more of them.

Report Post Tip

Why should I have to demonstrate a street presence to be considered a useful member in any family? Some people like to talk, some people like to shoot, and some like to think.

Just because I don't come to the streets with the same generic/regurgitated post it doesn't mean that I, nor my ancestors should be thought of any less.

Report Post Tip

It's too much to ask for, it will dilute the quality of the streets, lottie dottie dah.

You brought up an interesting point here I feel, Goku. While I can see where some here may really carry this opinion, I can share your viewpoint on how making a name in the streets and getting known around the cities and districts is important. However, my question is how does it counter against the argument that many, some new and some returning lineage feel like a presence in the streets is something that is seen AFTER an individual has crawled through the weeds of ranking and has earned their salt, as was the opinion of my father and I have clearly deviated from here with my presence today. Personally, I too feel like people should get more involved seeing how being out here with a voice is a huge part of this thing we have here.

At the same time, even though none in my bloodline have never been at the head of a city, I can see where a CL would want to know for sure that a goomba in their family was deemed trustworthy enough to come out and represent their crew in this sharktank. Which brings me to the point I originally started with. I have heard before; as have you, others rant on the "dilution" of the quality of the streets due to the push for more involvement by those who really have nothing intelligent to say or have had no lesson in being a functional orator. Out here, people cling on to every word, every phrase, body language, etc. Conversations get redirected in the responses that follow the initial cause, as I am clearly beginning to do now so I will end here.

Is it important? Yes in my opinion. Should it be a requirement? Also, my opinion on the matter deducts that there is no right or wrong answer. If every CL ran his or her own crew in the same fashion, there would be no distinction between them. This is how great leaders are remembered to an extent. Based on how he or she ran the crew, gained respect, their "niche" so to speak.

Report Post Tip

clutch hears a man start to talk. As his voice raise he looks and sees its Goku and turns to look and listen. As the speech begins clutch shakes his head and thinks to him "Fuck, another street presence speech". Seeing as time is always a topic since the beginning of the world, clutch grabs a seat on the milk crate and listens. Many good points were brought up and finally there is a break in the talk. Clearing his throat, clutch leans against a porch rail and begins to talk.

We I'll offer my thoughts as this is always a pressing topic. though this is a new approach, it basically a age old question around our world. So gonna just try to make it simple and get my thoughts out before 100 more people pipe in and becomes a big war of words where the topic gets lost half the damn time.

Its pretty simple and to the point. No. As has been stated, every crew has their own way of doing things and every crew, district or city is different. What we do in Downtown is different then New York or Philly ect. What You guys do under Don Lexi is probally different then Don Latin or Godfather Curtis and so on. Its up to the crewleader or Godfather to decide how one becomes a "made man" and get that shiny button. Its nice to come out here and speak from time to time but I cannot see why it becomes a requirment for button men and women. Just cause the masses do not know all of them does not mean they did not earn it. That lies in the crewleaders to decide. Not you, not me. Besides some people can not talk for the life of them but sometimes they provide other services their family vaules. So if they become a button man then I assume they earned it somehow. If they shouldn't be a "made man", that falls on the crew leader or the trusted hands to guide them in that direction, not just make them go talk on the streets cause this world thinks everyone and their mother must be out here on the streets or they are a worthless mobster. There are many ways to be a good member, street speaking is not always one of them.

clutch lowers his hat, takes a smoke and sits back down on his milk crate

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Another Speech About Street Presence.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL