Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 12:13:44
Page:  1 
Staying In-Character Started by: Phabracadabra on Mar 11, '15 11:16

I’m curious to hear other people’s opinions on the level of strictness that should be adhered to when posting in The Streets.

My initial feelings are that a large portion of players are not at all concerned with staying in-character – making very minimal effort to do so. This is my assumption from the examples I witness on an often daily basis.

I go through cycles of avidly posting, to halting completely if I’m too busy – yet, The Streets will always be my first port of call. More recently, I’ve frequently stumbled upon engrossing topics that perk my interest, only to find that upon reading the comments the discussion has – blatantly and unashamedly – rapidly steered out-of-character.

This is not directed towards any particular person or group – as it’s widespread. It appears a thread is only removed when the OP veers too far out-of-character. Am I being pernickety? I just feel that there was a time when as a collective, there was a consensus that if you can’t manage to express yourself In-Character in The Streets, then you should visit OOC; otherwise, the post is removed by a Street Sweeper and you are encouraged to amend it.

Report Post Tip

It's always been this way since I started back here, about 3 and a half months ago.

Although many posts have OOC content like smiles, bracketed text, and other words like 'posts' and 'threads' and things that definitely point to something OOC, for the most part I prefer the activity over the lack of it.

I do agree threads can be cleaned up but I think that would also clean away some of the posters too. I always notice OOC content, but sometimes due to the nature and roleplay style of MR I just let it go. If it were another environment with stricter rules then it would be different.

If it's far too OOC, then I'll just report the post and let admin do what they do.

I think it's a definite lack of schooling form a families part though, as all we learn here comes from what we're taught and the family culture we grow our characters in. I mean who can really put their hand up as a CL and say they have a definite schooling method for roleplay mixed in with their gun training and emphasis on earnings? The game has an awesome roleplay component in The Streets and BD, but more emphasis is placed elsewhere.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

There are definitely lines drawn regarding the streets and yet none are enforced in the way i would see fit. Every word you say in public with other people being able to hear makes you be able to be held accountable. People are getting away with constant disrespect addressing higher ranked mafiosi in public. This would and did lead to severe punishment in real life.

In addition conversations are highly out of character with public speech and having 'the character' talk to other people. Most of the time it is clearly someone from 2015 voicing his opinions and addressing other mobsters. How surreal would it be for someone from 1930 to be talked to by a 2015.

Why do all this and irritate people who are trying to roleplay and follow the rules of the streets when it could be avoided quite simply? Ignorance and knowingly posting this way because they expect crewleaders to think it's not worth the trouble and time to punish or address in some way. People keep posting 'Respect' speeches and similar topics but i have yet to witness anything coming from it. It is quite clear what respect means in the 'mafia' - You say say or act in a way someone higher up doesnt like, you get wacked.

So, how to go around this problem quite simply as i put it? Your public speech turns into thoughts instead, everyone will still see what you have to 'say' but you can't be held accountable for it.

Potato found it quite amusing to hear the attempts at coherent speech from the fella in front of him. or...

Potato felt it would be unwise to enforce the new rules regarding 'Put topic of conversations here' and thought 'Put your own preferences here'.

Report Post Tip

I think people should stay 1000000% in character in the streets.  And when you see someone else breaking character, you can MM them, not refer to it as OOC-itis or whatever.  Always stay in the moment. 

Report Post Tip

I've tried this Mimi and have been abused and ridiculed from some individuals because of their OOC-itits, even though I approached it in a helpful way. Some people will be arrogant and are just plain unhappy, yet I agree, some that are newer and don't know any better are more receptive to this kind of help.

You just need to pick who you MM. If the person being OOC seems to be a vet to this game, they will more than likely take it offensively, no matter how nice and helpful you try to be.

I would suggest instead mob mailing their CL, yet some CL's may also do this too and not fully understand the concept and how it applies, so that avenue may also be a wash. Most crews don't do much in the way of roleplay schooling from my understanding, because it's not a requirement within the family, compared to training a gun or earning.

I think though, every family should have at least a roleplay enforcer. Someone that is there specifically to be a street sweeper and checks the streets for their members posts and knows enough about roleplay to school individuals on the topic, and maybe even have a system in place within the family that requires posters to 'earn' their right to post on the streets, much like earning the right to an IA list.

But again, if you check crew descriptions it's evident that not many promote roleplay due to their take it or leave it attitude. Not many actually have a roleplayed intro in a roleplayed format, instead just an OOC line or two regarding roleplay. This just shows you how much the family is more geared toward other interests.

I'm not trying to knock any leaders here also, just stating how much roleplay isn't schooled and emphasized within families. Even if it's not a requirement for members, there should still be a readily available system of some sort for people to be taught how to roleplay and members that street sweep, as this game is partly that kind of game (in my eyes, it's a large part of it).

Report Post Tip
This goddam character is a pain in the ass to stay in sometimes :(
Report Post Tip

It's your best one yet Batiatus. I can literally hear John Hannah speaking when I read your words!

Report Post Tip

The Rock agrees with little Tyrion, Battyanus

Report Post Tip
You guys sure know how to make a gal blush
Report Post Tip

I think the number of references to "game", "account", "runs" and various other blatantly OOC terminology in the Streets is probably as high as it has ever been. 

Report Post Tip

I feel like there has been an increase (and apparent toleration) of the usage of such terms. It's annoying and distracting, but I think it can be avoided by leaders instructing their members and rereading what you've wrote before posting it (something I often forget myself ;P). 

Report Post Tip

I've noticed a lot of it also, but I feel simply reply to point it out makes the matters worse. The onus should be on the leader of those doing it to teach them better.

Report Post Tip

Pfft, Batiatus is no wear near your most famous and best RPed character -PizzaTheHut-

Report Post Tip
I think your time would be better spent role playing then being OOC in the streets, ( instead of gracing us with your presence in OOC on the topic ) to dicuss those who you perceive are OOC.

While I am also OOC at this time, I have wittnessed and experienced how brutal the criticism can be in these streets. Where I come our major was the streets. We are not Harvard grads.
Report Post Tip

Isabella this is the OOC forum :)

Report Post Tip

I will never criticise someone's spelling, grammar, or anything else about the quality/structure of their thread because it's a shitty thing to do.

But mentions to 'the game' 'roleplay' 'ooc' (or whatever other ooc terms are employed in the streets) is just sheer fucking laziness. It screams 'I couldn't be arsed proofreading my post'. Granted, it may be a one off but there are several irritating-as-fuck repeat offenders, for whom laziness is the only explanation. This is something that cannot be excused by anything else. It's not because someone is young, second language English or doesn't have a liberal arts degree.

Streets = you're a mobster
OOC = You're not.

That's a really, really simple concept; my 11 year old brother could understand that without any fuss whatsoever; so if you're repeatedly ignoring that concept then I have to assume you're just too lazy to be arsed checking your own work.

Report Post Tip

Staggers back in to hear the voice of Scarfo.  Being the woman  I am, I  must confirm being corrected.  I flip thru the  pages. I see I am currently in the latest news. Making a decision to not question this publically, I make a note to speak with Batiatus after we salute with the next round of drinks  so to get a better understanding. 

My apologies if in fact I am wrong.  

Report Post Tip

I think it's more than laziness, Guevara. Although I do think in part some could take more care and have more attention to detail in their own work, and in essence more respect for the roleplay in the streets, I think some members just lack the understanding.

And in both instances, more rules/guidelines from families the MR world over would lift both the attentiveness of the poster and also the understanding.

So in effect, it could be seen as either laziness or lack of understanding. Even more to the point, if the members lack the understanding of how to properly post without going OOC, then it's another case of laziness or understanding from a Family/Crew side regarding these issues need to be handled with the way the Family/Crew is run.

Our crew is implementing something to address this issue and lift the standard of roleplay. If any other leaders/upper structure members are interested feel free to drop me a MM. I'll be happy to share what we are rolling out, and we can discuss other ways to lift the standards from a leadership standpoint.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Staying In-Character
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL