Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 15:22:50
Page:  1 
Whats even the point of ranks anymore?! Started by: PromethazineCodeine on Mar 27, '15 21:45

ProMeth takes a drag from his blunt and sips from his double cup before he walks out of the dark shadows and into the light, walks up to the bullet hole filled brick wall and pins up a print out of the definition of "rank" and "respect" before addressing the crowd of mobsters that have been accumulating in his Firms alley lately 

rank1

raNGk/

noun

plural noun: ranks

1.    1.

a position in the hierarchy of the armed forces.

"an army officer of fairly high rank"

re·spect

ˈspekt/

noun

1.    1.

a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

"the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor"

synonyms:

esteemregard, high opinion, admirationreverencedeferencehonor

"the respect due to a great artist"

"It seems to me that a lot of people here have forgotten a thing or two about respect and ranks here in this fine Mafia underground that we ALL are apart of. Last time i checked, we have ranks established in our secret families are a reason. The higher the rank, the higher the respect level because your rank reflects the amount of effort and time you have put in and in return your rank increases. 

""On the flip side to that, and here's where I'm not going to name names - mostly because I don't have to, it's pretty easy to spot, I don't need to give anybody the glamour"" of being called out on disrespecting ranks and also, trying to be a pre-school teacher to us grown gentlemen and ladies. But if whoever reads this feels obligated to pick at every little thing, then they should go back to the old country and focus on getting their teaching degree and come back to these shores and then shine a little knowledge on us here.

There are some people who have no cares for making our Mafia life any better. All they care for is pointing out possible mistakes and feeding their own egos that possibly have been tarnished over these years. But in reality they should care to grow and build and make these shores even bigger than they ever have been!!

Am i wrong on thinking that we should all band together and if you see a new comer come along and speak freely in these respected streets, instead of picking and bullying the new face in the crowd, we should discretely reach out to the new face and address the mistakes and teach the new face how to fix and improve on the mistakes for future speeches?!

Nobody should be afraid of the new face in the crowd who steals the spot light for a few moments. Instead of verbally and emotionally attacking people, how about we band together and build these shores into something unstoppable in the old country?!"

ProMeth looks around the crowd of faces, some filled with anger and rage, some new faces express gratitude, and some faces just look as if they are waiting for me to stop talking so they may come up to me and speak of doubling, tripling, and quadrupling of their funds.

After taking one last drag of the heavily smoking blunt, he tosses it to a special somebody in the crowd, and as the blunt crashes down onto the floor infront of their feet, ProMeth walks back into the shadows and awaits to be approached by money hungry clients.

And as far as the clients of the firm, they know not to judge me on my winners, but to judge me on my losers becuase i have so few ;p

(and since we do apparently seem to have some teacher wanna be`s in the crowd, i taken it apon myself to make citations of my work in hopes that it may put an even bigger chip on thy shoulder)

CITATIONS: 

Citations for Rank definition,

URL: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ranks%20defintion

Article Title: Google

Website Title: Google

Citations for Respect definition,

We found

URL: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=respect+defintion

Article Title: Google

Website Title: Google

Citations for the words pulled from another speech in these streets,

We found

URL: https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/557666#96722311

Article Title: A Little Effort, Please.

Mafia Returns

Website Title: - The Game

Report Post Tip

"It seems to me that a lot of people here have forgotten a thing or two about respect and ranks here in this fine Mafia underground that we ALL are apart of. Last time i checked, we have ranks established in our secret families are a reason. The higher the rank, the higher the respect level because your rank reflects the amount of effort and time you have put in and in return your rank increases.  

'Respect is earned, not given'. Credit to the man or woman who originally coined this phrase, but it is the absolute truth. You can respect the persons rank, but you don't have to respect them just because they're a certain rank. They need to earn your respect, not automatically expect it. This little rant of yours its counter productive honesty, as you're being just as disrespectful as the person you're proclaiming to was disrespectful to you.

Report Post Tip

i enjoy reading your input, mate 

Report Post Tip

I agree with Ragnarok when he says, "Respect is earned not given." However, it is true that ranks should still be respected. Ranks are supposed to show how much you mean to the family in regards of what you do to them. This might seem contradictory on my part, but here is what I think in summary: rank does not automatically give you respect as much as the next guy, but, even though you may hate the person's guts, don't be a disrespectful prick. 

Report Post Tip

i appreciate you sharing your opinions on this issue, thank you 

Report Post Tip

If you were gunned down for this speech, it is a crying shame.

Report Post Tip

Father_TeQ of course he was not gunned down for the thread. I love when people make threads much like this one and will always encourage my members to voice their opinion. He was killed for disrespecting me personally back in our Headquarters. No one would be killed for voicing their opinion.

Report Post Tip

Why are we assuming he was killed for the speech?

Mar 27, 20:42:56

You have issued a challenge to duel to Freyja.

To me, it seemed he had an issue with someone lower ranked, but higher positioned. 

Report Post Tip

I've no reason to doubt you, so I'll accept that at face value.

It is very coincidental timing though.

Report Post Tip

I think coincidental timing or otherwise Father_TeQ my crew leaders number priority is our family and this district. 

If Promethazine has been representing us poorly and it's starting to attract the wrong kind of attention then naturally it is prudent to remove him before he becomes a bigger issue, such as potentially taking his hot headedness in search of Freyja. These are all just my own observations though not being privy to any further information on the matter nor requesting it. 

Report Post Tip

Totally agree Alan. I've no reason to doubt Mr. Caffrey, therefore I won't.

It must have been coincidental timing and i was just pointing that out.

Report Post Tip

The other day I had a discussion on IRC about how nowadays people on MR expect more for less work and commitment -- they expect to be promoted when they might not deserve it, which I think comes back to respect -- as Ragnarok said, "Respect is earned, not given", and it's usually earned through hard work and commitment.

But feel free to argue; maybe it's just me, and this isn't as prevalent in other places. It'd definitely depend on your family, though.

Report Post Tip

My rank from the gamers perspective is Don but from the roleplay perspective it is clearly Made Man. Respect is given to people of higher standing in the mafia which could be someone with the game rank of Capo but that person also holds the roleplay rank of Capo. In that regard what do promotions tell us? Nothing. It is not about effort. It is about the game mechanics that allows higher ranks to earn more money and carry out bigger hits. If this wasn't the case and everything was skill based atleast in my opinion would help the roleplay aspect a lot and heighten the importance of game rank.

Explanation - Every Organized Crime becomes available as your skill increases regardless of game rank. Every other avenue becomes available as your skill hits the mark regardless of game rank. That way the roleplay rank would line up with game rank as there would be no reason to promote people to "Don" anymore even though they are just Made man in the organization.

Report Post Tip

Potato we've tried something a little different over here that aims to put more emphasis on the roleplay rank that you refer to. We have a family tree/family structure that's separate from the in game ranks. So as you said some people that are high ranks in game (Don/Consigliere) are ranked less in the Family Tree/Family Structure just due to various reasons that tie into character and family development in a multitude of areas.

I feel it gives more depth and longevity to the game.

Report Post Tip
That has been done plenty of times over the years but the problem that people see with rank not mattering that much is tied to the game mechanics. I gave my input, maybe someone will use it for a suggestion thread.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Whats even the point of ranks anymore?!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL