Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 09:30:44
Page:  1 
The art of teaching Started by: MinamotoNoYoritomo on Apr 03, '15 18:37

I migrated from Japan to live the american dream. Things were getting too militaristic at home, and they didn't like criminals too much! So, I packed my stuff, got some money and sent a letter to my distant relative Goto informing him of the situation. When I arrived on these streets however, I found out that Goto had died just moment prior. Never really knew him, but people tell me he was a good lad.

Clearly Goto had received my letter, and he was at least a little bit influenced by the Japanese culture, for he had left a death poem by Ota Dokan, both warrior and poet:

Had I not known 
that I was dead 
already 
I would have mourned 
my loss of life. 

I got hold of some address books and phone numbers; and I contacted Jeddy, apparently an old friend of Goto's line, thus also my line. I ringed Jeddy and got lucky: he arranged that I got accepted as an associate into his family. His position looked good and his leader strong. I looked further through Goto's possessions and I discovered that his distant relative was taught by Jeddy too. Perhaps a recurring thing in the family?

Naturally, Jeddy wasn't the only one who taught them. People like Rorschach, Desmand, Amethyst, TepidDelucci and Kyubey had taught his relatives much. Without these people, would I be here today? Probably not. I would have stayed in the land of the cherry blossoms. According to these journals, my relatives made a lot of mistakes, but all of these mistakes were forgiven and they learned from them to become better men.

At some point they died, and eventually so did their mentors. But their kin was always there to teach and aid their kin. They fell out of power, out of favor, but they still had a lot of knowledge, which my relatives eagerly devoured. Now I, Yoritomo, am back where my relatives began, and I hoped I could surpass my deceased relatives. And whatever I do, I will do it with Honor!

Now then, I ask of the community this:

Who taught your line, and who is it that made that your line stay in this world?

Arigatou gozaimasu.

Yoritomo bows and waits until someone in the small crowd answers.

Report Post Tip

IvanRomanov overhears a young Goomba give his own lineage story of coming to the land of opportunity. Ivan remembers his own father and mother bringing him along to these shores years ago. His father being apart of the needle trade, Ivan couldn't get into that kind of stuff. And after his father had passed, he looked to others for their teachings much like young Minamoto.

One thing I want to express is that it wasn't a single person who taught my line. My line having been here for years on end, I like to think that I've picked the best attributes of those around me, and used those in my every day life. A few of those people are Sal_Giaquinto, Cassi, Vasily, Lush, FlyingPig, DeadlySin, Phil_Steak, Toaly, Epsilon... These are the majority of the people that have taught me what I am today. I probably have left a person or two out but thats who's left their mark on me. And to this day, do I still use that they have taught me only to hopefully teach others. And I hope that others continue to use this trend. As some people are better than others in many ways, use what you think would be beneficial. Pick the best aspects of your old leaders and apply them when you're able to. Either when you're leading, or even when you're not necessarily in a position of influence.

I can't really name anyone who's made my line stay in this world but I'll admit, I have still have goals like many others in this thing. I just hope to fulfill them some day.

Report Post Tip

There are a lot of bloodlines my lineage would need to give credit to, unfortunately 90% of the list's bloodlines are no longer with us so I'm not sure how much point there is naming some of them, but here we go....

IzzyCreamcheese - First leader my blood remembers to not try to rule with a complete iron fist.

BrianArao - First person to show my blood that ANYTHING is possible if you just try your luck sometimes.

Dick_Gozinya, Mr-47, The IncredibleDrunk - I have a few 'fans' of my street work, but I couldn't hold a candle to these 3. Between them, 3 of the funniest people on planet earth. These guys taught me how to carry myself publicly. Side note... Dick and 47 were the other 2 original creators of WMOB 69.69FM radio with my ancestors.

TuriGiuliano - THE most respected guy our world has ever seen, bar none. I didn't ever meet anyone that didn't like Turi. Taught me that there are genuine good people in this world if you look hard enough.

I've only just realised after scrolling through all my lineage's diaries that this could literally go on for HOURS here. There are far, far too many people to go through them all, so I'll leave it where it is now before I get carried away before you're sat here in 24 hours time still waiting for me to finish!

It's rare in this world though to be taught by any one person with how quickly things can change. Usually people take bits and pieces from various sources and form their own ideals, principles and morals based on this.

However, there are a few 'protege's' out there. My own blood has had a big part to play in a few people's lineage here. It's always great to see those people you helped mold go onto special things too. It's nice to see 'another you' out there so to speak, there's nothing that warms the cockles of my heart more. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

As I look back in my families logs there are lot of chapters of history I have to go through to be able to answer this question of yours. First even before I touch that I must say. The art of teaching in our world currently lacks a bit. I remember when people would go to great extents to try and teach young mobsters how to act in our world. They would teach them up to make them Button Men someday. Now a days I come across mafioso's that have been here a bit, yet they don't understand some of the basic concepts of our worlds. I would understand this lack of knowledge if the person decided he didn't want to go down that particular path...but to be completely oblivious to it, thats a different story! 

But with that said, even my forefathers didn't start as the 'all knowing'. I am going to refrain from taking names here because I can drop a lot of them as the mobster you see today is a product of a lot of teaching and mistakes. My forefathers took a bit to get the 'Button'. I remember from gramps books, my first some generations were happy to get Wise Guy...that was the ultimate goal. In a age where most were not button men and with only a handful of Don's about...that seemed awesome. Then things changed a bit and we had a GF first time in ages. Thats where I would say my lineage grew some legs for a solid base. First Boss in our family's history comes from there. And even he made a mistake that he had to pay for, but nothing to tarnish the good family name. And a few generations later, we had our first Don bolded. Thats when the education in raising mafioso's began. This was still under the good ole GodMother. Then came GodFathers that were dean like and other battles, the lineage learned and progressed.

I can look back in these journals and I can certainly say the leaders that my lineage worked for, were the people that shaped the man that stands here today. In our line of work it is essential to be able to groom good mobsters. So in turn they could lead their families in other parts of the country. This country is vast and opportunities abundant. We could certainly use more able men to spread our way of life. And this all starts from the leaders that bare the bold suits. The impact leaders leave upon their crew goes a long way. And for that I am ever thankful to all the men and women that led my lineage before me. 

Report Post Tip

Murphy ponders for a moment the words spoken by the other people in the crowd, thinking about her family and people she knew as well as those she had only heard tales about. 

"I have to agree with LordBlackwood here. See? My family comes from a long line that spans generations and each one that came to these shores with a fresh face and a spring in their step learned something from someone. The world changes and grows and with it, its people. There will always be leaders, those who choose to step up and show a new guy or gal the ropes. There are the middle men, the ones who choose not to lead or to follow but stand still, they are the men who choose mediocrity in the world and enjoy staying put. Then there are the men who follow, the ones who perhaps by choice or perhaps by nature are incapable of leading. They fall into line and sometimes become strong characters, often forming the backbone of a work force, always taking orders but fully capable of putting those orders into effect.

Like Blackwood, my family didn't always lead. I had a couple here and there who soared through the ranks and took their place among the finest, I had those in my family who chose to sit back and take orders and serve their families faithfully but never once earned their button. Despite all this, my family has always been the kind to teach. It takes a special brand of someone to teach, to guide and to walk along side someone else, to help them understand. Sometimes I think teachers are the rarest breed because they don't just show you the door and say "welcome to the world" they open the door and walk outside with you, they guide you through each painstaking step, they help correct you when you make a mistake but they help you learn not to make those mistakes which cost you your life. 

I wouldn't be here were it not for the teachers in my life, and the teachers in the lives of my family. 

Report Post Tip

Fips listens to the many stories told, and the many great names mentioned. He decides to chip in himself;

"I must admit, that my line has met many great people, it could learn from. For some reason my line was a slow learner though; either my ancestors failed to teach their son the lessons they had learned, or maybe each son just liked having someone to call "Mentor".
I remember the stories told of the very first of my ancestors, who decided to join in on the life of crime. He met two men, Atropos and SuperX, both men he considered 'mentors', and they taught him everything he needed. But he failed to really comprehend what he was taught, or maybe he just never passed it on to his son, because when that son came to these shores, and met two lovely women, Penquin and Ratman, he was taught every lesson again, and called the two women his mentors. Something was obviously passed on to the son, who joined ToyArmadillo's crew, but for some reason, that son also called ToyArmadillo his mentor. When ToyArmadillo retired, and my ancestor decided to join Starscream, my line once again found people to look up to."

Fips pauses, then continues after a short break.

"In short, my line has had a bunch of people teach it what it knows today. Those that had the biggest influence were: Atropos, SuperX, Penquin, Ratman, Starscream, and CookieZombie.
Of course some meant more than others. My line kept in touch with some of them, and the balance of 'mentor' and (usually) leader contra friends and equals was never a problem for my line. I thank the lines that taught mine, all of you earned my respect, but I'm particularly thankful for those that I can still, to this day, consider friends of mine."

Fips tries to think of the definition of "a mentor", then realizes that the word was never mentioned in the original speech.

"I guess it would be fair to say, that my line has been misusing the word "mentor". I believe it has been my ancestors way of thanking their leader, and showing them, that they looked up to them. However, either way, whichever works... I think we should cheer to those who taught us, if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have gotten so far today.
 - And I hope, someday, someone will tell me, that my line taught theirs something."

Report Post Tip

My line was really boring at first, I don't quite remember where it started like the very first start but I do know it was under some guy who wanted to take out Premeir and did not go over very well. After that I ended up joining the man who killed the city and that is where everything first began. I guess a lot of the reason on why I continued on has a lot to do with Prem and maybe not always in the good way I suppose.

A lot of the reason why I kept chucking forward is because of the fact that he was a maniac and you cannot deny it. Roman another one in that time who shot some guy for stealing a MIA, Prem shooting people for less. The feeling was that if I was not active, I would miss something and there was always something to start my day off with. It was that kind of intensity that led me to wanting to continue on my journey in this place.

Another thing has always been the people here, I am a loud mouth, I talk all the time, its one of the things I enjoy doing so the people always kept me around even through my worst times I kept coming back to talk to the few people that still supported me or were still my friends. In a nutshell I guess its a combination of growing up during the psycho era where anything could happen and just being an overall chatter box. Nothing has changed today either I keep coming back for my friends, and probably will keep doing so.

Report Post Tip

I think the art of the meaning is when your disciples surpass you. But in each single possible way...

Report Post Tip
Many have migrated from across the map. For various reasons their ship or flight found themselves upon these shores. Laws vary in every country. For some, it is simply a matter of learning and adapting to the laws of this country. They have much to bring to the table and can teach a thing or two. Some have an interest with little to no knowledge of how we live and they are very valuable too.

The problem visible to the eye and quite common across the map is know it alls who fear and/or intimidated by new blood on their shores. When in fact that is wasted energy. It is no wonder some shove business down some throats and take the bull by the horn so too speak.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The art of teaching
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL