Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 14:59:22
Page:  1 
Is It Worth It? Started by: Dr_KennethNoisewater on Apr 15, '15 17:21

Today we've seen yet another rogue attempt to bring harm to our fine cities. When I was first informed of the rogue roaming the streets I began thinking to myself, "What goal if any was to be accomplished? The days are gone when a individual can stand against a multitude. Is there a reason to these futile attempts?"

Among few things in this world of ours, our name and our reputation are what define us in the long run. Some people may argue that with every new character, there should be a clean slate...but honestly...can that be? A question that is always whispered for every leader that pops up: "What are their past names? Who were they?" People remember those who are loyal to them and have done right by them, thus being offered more chances in the future. Why ruin a good name to abandon your family and rogue out?  Yes, there have been groups in the past that have accomplished what they wanted by opting to disband from their families and pop shots off but why would a single person try and go out on a limb to get a shot off, if that?

As the times change and life expectancy continues to increase many people are living longer, more profitable lives. With the amount of successful enterprises out there, its common for many of the highest ranking to have a large amount of protection following them around. It is rare to see a rogue live longer than an hour, and many are lucky to even get a shot off before they are swarmed. Yes, size does matter..gun size that is, but why train such a big gun to go and throw it all out the window for a random shot?

I'd like to pose a few questions to the masses, Is there anything that can be accomplished by these men and women? Do these people value their own life so little that they willingly throw it away for kill or two? Do these people expect to severely harm a leader by killing one of their members, or do these people just feel the need for excitement and don't care who is killed on their way to enjoyment?

Are rogues still a viable means of dissidence in this life or have they become a simple means of excitement for these people who have nothing to live for?

Report Post Tip

Going rogue for a specific target/victim, like someone who has wronged you or (in)directly caused your death in the recent past, might be worth it in some way. There will most likely still be a ''scar of dishonor'' upon your next of kin though. 

Going rogue for the reason of murdering random persons for excitement and fun is not in any way justified and I don't think it will accomplish much at all. But some people cherish in the despair of others.

So, to sum it up: I don't think going rogue is really worth it other than to deal out some revenge on someone and/or to make a statement. If you're willing to accept the consequences of such action, then it might be worth it for you.

Report Post Tip

They are certainly a way for somebody to show their frustration be it for the current regime, rules, or general lifestyle.  However they are certainly not a way to force change on this thing of ours, if anything it does the opposite and makes us all guard these ways even more firmly.  

If we focus on them being simply a way to try and force change upon this world then they become less effective.  Many years ago, back in the darker days when rogue shots were common due to any ole gangster taking shots, they were certainly a way that certain people caused havoc.  However there is a great deal more time that would need to be invested, and really is it worth it?  Not in my opinion.   The best way to show change what you don't like is to be the bringing of that change through hard work.  And to do that you need to work with the system, not against it, until you are in a position where you possibly can implement your own rules.

There is, as you mentioned, the idea of reputation too.  As much as everyone tries to avoid painting all family members with the same brush it still happens, and going rogue is certainly one way to have a negative opinion on your bloodline for many generations.  You won't necessarily be killed for the actions of your father, grandfather or even great grandfather - but it may hamper your own prospects due to the potentially questionable trust and loyalty.

Report Post Tip

I appreciate the input thus far and welcome others opinions as well.

MinamotoNoYoritomo, you mentioned you believed that going rogue in the name of revenge could be worth it. I would have to disagree with you. Commonly when a rogue kills someone the person killed is welcomed back with open arms and receive large amounts of aid which excel them higher than they were before, whereas the rogue has a tarnished reputation and would need to work even harder. To me this seems like a reversal of the intended outcome, so I ask again is it worth it?

PeterMcNeil I would have to agree with your conclusions. The losses seem to greatly outweigh any type of positive outcome.

Report Post Tip

MinamotoNoYoritomo, you mentioned you believed that going rogue in the name of revenge could be worth it. I would have to disagree with you. Commonly when a rogue kills someone the person killed is welcomed back with open arms and receive large amounts of aid which excel them higher than they were before, whereas the rogue has a tarnished reputation and would need to work even harder. To me this seems like a reversal of the intended outcome, so I ask again is it worth it?

I guess it depends on the person going rogue, and the person being the rogue's target. Depends on how and why you were fucked over etc. If a person is willing to accept all that just for revenge, yes, it is worth it. Personally, I would say it's not worth it 99 % of the time, unless that person really gets my head throbbing in anger.

Report Post Tip

Should we make a distinction between those who rogue out of anger or boredom, and those who plan out their attacks with the sole intention of causing havoc? 

The reasoning behind the rogue holds little bearing over the outcome, but should this be considered when we look back on the life of those who rogue, or should it be cut and dry and all treated the same?  

Report Post Tip

I think we need to classify rogues in regards to their goal, yes.

• Those that rogue out of anger & with the intent of exacting revenge.
  • Those that plan out their attacks but do so with the sole intent of causing havoc, and those that rogue for fun/boredom.

Don't think it should be seen as the same, really. I would see the actions of someone going rogue out of boredom or just to cause havoc as far worse than those doing it out of anger or revenge.

Report Post Tip

I truly believe no-one has a clean slate. The actions of our forefathers or mothers will always effect us, no matter how much the ones affected want it to or not.

A value we hold strong in our Family is Trust. We want to know what line someone is attached to as it will speak to their character. If they've had family in the police, we don't look at them twice. If they've had a two-timing relative then we also move them on quickly and think nothing of it. For us your connections and associations speak to your moral fibre. 

Our legacies are shaped by our environment and people around us as much if not more than through independent thought and action. Trust is so important in this life a potential associates relatives are weighed heavily.

This also was the case with the latest rogue who came from our ranks. He went to the extent of telling us a story that he was the son of someone he may not have been. This proves to me you can never escape your past in this life, and this mad man also knew this. In the end he showed he didn't value not only his own life, but life in general. He sacrificed himself and a handful of others for some kicks. I would say nothing can be accomplished of any true value in this way, and by true value I mean having a lasting impact in this life.

A legacy echo's one for decades. A rogues actions fade after a few days. Sure, we speak on it now, but who will really remember that crazy son of a bitch who rogued? Compared to that Godfather, or group of Families who ran that impressive city?

A fleeting effort is rewarded with a fleeting memory. True legacies are built on a lifetime of work, and I for one am crazy enough to work hard for true recognition than a moment of excitement and taint.

Report Post Tip
I don't know if its because of my morals, ethic, or honor code but I can never see roguing as justifiable.  The rewards which are slim to none are outweighed by the fact your life will be lost.  

Its in situations like this where i believe knowing ones bloodline is most significant and I don't want a guy with a history of going rogue or a history of stirring up trouble.. I hate to sound like this but there would be no room in my family for that.
Report Post Tip

Personally, I have always considered it reprehensible for a child to be judged upon <font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)">the actions of a parent. Of course, that is not to say history should be brushed aside; what's done is done and cannot be undone. However, I truly believe that if one is willing to move beyond the grudges or actions of their ancestors, who are we to judge? It is undeniable that each of us has at least one skeleton in our closet. Things we have done in the heat of the moment, or in a fit of rage. I hold as an example of this the treatment of certain members of a now defunct group that once ruled this world according to my ancestors' journals, the name of which shall not be mentioned at this point. Now, some of these people have demonstrated a clear willingness to put their leaders and their districts first, and abandon their ancestors' associations with this group, and indeed demonstrated as such. I do not wish to rehash an old topic that has indeed been done to death but it is true that in many cases there is </font>little recourse for certain lines involved in this world. What option does this leave them in the long run?

Now, as for roguing. I personally have never understood the attraction. However, my opinion is that it is a step one must evidently have underlying reasons for taking. Something their leader has said to them, maybe? Their actions? We must understand these before we speak ill of someone for taking such drastic measures.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Is It Worth It?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL