Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 14:02:05
Page:  1 
If you're gonna play it out, play it right Started by: Murphy on Apr 19, '15 07:39

I know this is probably beating a dead horse but this is on the subject of role play. Specifically I mean business districts. There are a bunch of businesses out there and many of them are great places to go but there's something a lot of people are forgetting. 

HISTORICAL ACCURACY

MR is based in the 20's and 30's and as such one must remember that things were way different back then. I am constantly seeing businesses being set up without regard to the historical accuracy of the prices and things served. 

Here's a handy list of prices of some basic things

A cup of coffee would cost you $.10 

A hamburger with all the fixings, dessert, and a beverage $.30

A steak dinner with potatoes, vegetables, and bread would run you $1.25

Lamb chops, biscuits, peas, potatoes, fruit salad and a beverage $.75

A slice of pie would be $.15 and a whole pie less than $1.50

That's just restaurants. Things were a lot different in the 30's. This link here has a very useful guide for those of you wanting to role play and role play accurately. Before you write up a post for your business, check it out. http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/priceguide.html

It helps a lot to be accurate and when you're not it makes role playing more difficult. Yes I could go into a business that has modern day prices and role play like I just don't notice or care but I do. MR is a craft that I and many others take seriously and being able to be accurate as much as possible is important. 

Thank you for your time. 

Report Post Tip

Totally agree. Nice post.

Report Post Tip

That's very true, I love the idea and I believe that's the way it should be, RP should be taken more seriously by more people.

Report Post Tip

Prices I don't mind so much as to being accurate, I just did this for an example. Stole a purse and: Success! You grabbed yourself $297.

$297 in a purse?! On the regular?! Don't think so. Or when someone is setting up a business where they have to pay, anytime I control this it's usually around $250,000. That's again more of a modern price, but it's not based on that at all it's based on what the actual cash flow of what the game has and there is a lot of money out there. Average of over $2.5M to be exact. Even in this line of work and if you were only counting mobsters of the time they wouldn't come close to that amount. 

I care more of what is being discussed, such as modern weapons and cars. There are plenty of threads in businesses out there renting modern cars and selling modern weapons. These places should be burned to the ground in my own opinion. 

Report Post Tip

You bring up a good point regarding the petties although that one i let slide a bit more. I've had characters on this site for a long time and it's a matter of taking economy into mind. The petties and felonies, though the smaller ones are a bit high up there on the believability scale it was far higher a few years back. The modern stuff though, I agree whole heartedly with. It honestly comes down to the experience of the role player, the familiarity with the game as a whole, and dare I say it the CL's to monitor what's being set up. Those who run a family should be checking to see if their peoples and their own businesses and role plays are set in the right time period and have the right language, tone, and feeling that reflects the period between 1920 and 1940. 

Report Post Tip

When I enter a business that has meals listed $10 and up...I turn around and leave without finishing the post.  I just feel if I am willing to do the research or google the prices, clothing, slang, etc. of the era MR is set for, then I feel that whatever business I take the time to post in should at least have some effort as well.

There have been a few businesses I have posted in, in the past, but the more effort I've taken upon myself to research, the more effort I look for in threads now.

This isn't a dead horse...it is a topic worthwhile of discussing because simply MR ..IS.. a roleplay based game.  

I realize some people aren't as comfortable writing or roleplaying, but there are so many people willing to proofread, edit, and inspire those people.  All it takes is working together, and once that happens the roleplays should improve drastically.

Report Post Tip

finishing to read the post*

Report Post Tip

Absolutely couldn't agree more. 

Something that I like doing is using the personal notes for each profile to my advantage. I create a bit of a journal entry for each of my family members, and anyone else who piques my attention. I record stuff like first impressions, how we met, my plans for our relationship, etc.

I label each of these "journal entries" with a date. Usually the day and month are the same as real life, but as a general rule, I make the year somewhere within the 1920-1930 range. For example, any of these entries I've written today (April 20th, 2015), I'd label as 4/20/1920, and so on and so forth. Of course I write all my thoughts in-character, as Jack of All Trades would write. It really adds a whole new dimension to the roleplaying aspect, because you've also got your characters' deepest thoughts and feelings about people, about himself, about different events, and you stay true to the time era.

Does anyone else do that? I've always figured that it can't be that uncommon.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: If you're gonna play it out, play it right
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL