Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 12:41:07
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Explanations Started by: Curtis on Apr 19, '15 11:26

While travelling between meetings in New York, Curtis was approached on the street by a young man asking for a moment. He'd grown fond of random events and chance meeting so he stopped to give the kid chance to speak. The boy turned out to be the son of Ryu, the recently dispatched Don from Manhattan.

He'd made no apologies for his father's actions and openly confessed to being guilty of the crime he was killed for. There was no bitterness or resentment in the boy or his father's words, this was refreshing so Curtis decided to hear him out. The boy suggested his father thought the world would be better off if he'd gone rogue and tried to cause a war between New York and Philadelphia. He said that he'd been upset when there was no explanation given for the removal of districts in Chicago and Detroit. The two talked for a little while before parting company.

Curtis thought about what he'd said as he headed to his next meeting. He decided to go into the streets and discuss the topic with the community. After business was concluded he went into his favorite square and spoke to the crowd.

"It has been brought to my attention that people love explanations. For better or worse, doesn't seem to matter. Its even been stated to me that 'even if its a bullshit explanation, its still something'. I'm not sure I agree with that but to each their own I guess. Anyway, in the spirit of this recent conversation I thought I'd come here and touch on a couple of things that have happened recently.

Firstly and most recently, Don Ryu. This was a bright mobster with just as bright a future in New York. I was happy working with him as were his fellow family members and mobsters in Manhattan. I received word the other day that he would attempt to kill Tetley as soon as he was able and in so doing, cause a war between New York and Philadelphia. I had already been told someone was planning a move of this kind and when his name along with irrefutable evidence was presented to me, my decision was made. 

Next, lets look at Chicago. Again, this was a situation we were monitoring for some time. There were numerous things in The Loop that we weren't happy with. The insular lack of communication was just the tip of a pile of problems. Ultimately the decision to remove the district came down to several sources of reliable information pointing to a plot to attack certain points of the NY and PH families. We moved on the information we had and with the information that has emerged since, it appears we made the right decision. 

During the same period we also gathered a lot of other information on various people and families. Some of which pointed toward Goku's family and their intention to attack my city and me in particular. In this instance I elected to talk to Lexie_Grey as Goku was part of her district. I explained our position and discussed the information we had. I knew this was a very difficult position to put her in but she came through strongly and took care of what needed to be done. A great show of strength and determination from her. There was a lot of spineless whining and crying directed at her after she did what needed to be done but believe me when I say, she showed great character to do what she did and now stands entirely justified as the Godfather Chairman of the great city of Chicago. 

The other main concern at this point was Don Cloud in the city of Detroit. We had known for some time that Cloud had planned to attack us when he was able. He'd spoken quite openly about it to several people and it was clear he needed to be removed. The main issue in doing this was Don Louis. Louis was well liked, not least by me. A noble upstanding mobster who was raised and trained by Jono (all hail Jono of the fort) who conducted himself with all the self respect and dignity you'd expect from someone raised in that traditional way. It would have been wonderful to have left Louis standing but it was clear, he would fight and die for his city as any upstanding mobster should. I felt no remorse what so ever when I put a bullet through Cloud's head but I was very sorry we had to bury Louis along with him."

Curtis looked around the faces as he took out his flask and had a refreshing swig. He sighed at the level of interest people always had in death and destruction compared to the lack of it they showed for creativity and life. What a world...

"Anyway, I think that's enough for one day. I know some will dispute the reasons given here but frankly, I don't give a shit. I know each one of these moves was made on solid evidence. The shit that came out after each one went down only went to further prove we made the right call every time. I was asked for explanations, there you have some. 

Now, I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and do something nice for each other."

He winked playfully and smiled at the gathering before strolling toward a nearby coffee shop to get a cappuccino.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

I'd say that an explanation for a death or takedown/war is the least you can do for kin of the fallen. 

Next, lets look at Chicago. Again, this was a situation we were monitoring for some time. There were numerous things in The Loop that we weren't happy with. The insular lack of communication was just the tip of a pile of problems. Ultimately the decision to remove the district came down to several sources of reliable information pointing to a plot to attack certain points of the NY and PH families. We moved on the information we had and with the information that has emerged since, it appears we made the right decision. 

It's funny that lack of communication was one of the reasons, seeing the recent inactivity from NY in the streets and the general world. It's ironic in a way that there was a lack of communication about the removal of The Loop, until now. And of course, The Loop had sources of our own and they weren't stupid enough to attack New York or Philadelphia without being absolutely sure of a impending take-down. Naturally, when they received word of said takedown they hoped they could at least do some damage beforehand, but that was quickly ruined with the so-called 'sellout' of Godfather Lexie. They did manage to do some damage during the war though.

Thank you for all the explanations, sir.

Yoritomo tips his hat.

Report Post Tip

Curtis looks at MinamotoNoYoritomo curiously. 

"Inactivity from New York in the streets? Looking around right now (OOC: first page alone) I can see FIVE speeches started by New York alone. That isn't even mentioning all the contributions made to those and other speeches by New Yorkers. I think you need to open your fucking eyes before you start spouting shit."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I think the fact that those speeches are still relevant (on the first page) says more about slightly fallen street activity in general than about the activity of New York. 

Not to mention one of those speeches is actually about one of New York's leader needing to spend time elsewhere, and the other one about a New York relocating to the beautiful city of Las Vegas.

Report Post Tip

"Well there are another five on the second page and another three on the page after that. I'm I think if you are driving at a point you better grow some balls and make it before I start to think you are simply trying to wind me up."

Report Post Tip

There is a lot to say about those speeches, but this is not the time nor place for that. I guess that perhaps (read: likely) I was wrong about New York's inactivity on the streets but my other points still stand.

I don't think I entirely understand your last sentence there though, it's not in my interest to try and wind you up though.

Report Post Tip
Sounds like the main point Curtis is trying to make is that if you're going to shoot him, try to refrain from telling the whole fucking world in advance. Idiots.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

MinamotoNoYoritomo, you seem to have misunderstood what Godfather Curtis meant when he said, "The insular lack of communication was just the tip of a pile of problems." He wasn't simply talking about a presence in the streets. Whilst we all believe this to be a good sign of an effective leader, its not the only one. Truth be told there are numerous ways we communicate, the Coffee shops, via mail, the so called Global Chat. I have friends in all corners of this world. On a daily basis I regularly talk to people in Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and Las Vegas. I count CLs, hands and Godfathers amongst my friends. We discuss all kinds of things, just general chit chat, the behaviour of people in the streets, alliances, politics and business. With the exception of a few individuals, this interaction was missing with the majority of Chicago's leaders.

As for your other point, the impending take down of Chicago by New York and Philadelphia, I'm afraid your forefathers were severely misled. I've already spoken to the children of fallen members of Chicago, and assured them that New York planned no take down. This was not something that had ever been discussed at any of our city meetings. Myself, Dr Ken, Guevara, Batiatus nor Chun-Li knew anything of this supposed take down. Godfather Curtis, a close personal friend of mine has assured me that there were no such plans on the horizon. I can't speak for Barry as I never felt the need to speak to him regarding this point. So I would ask you, if Chicago had this evidence of a planned take down, where is it?

The one and only time we discussed any such take down, was when we were presented with evidence of an imminent attack on our weakest links, and that take down took place almost immediately after to maintain secrecy and momentum. The only thing I can assume is either you and others lied about this supposed evidence, or you were played like a cheap fiddle by a 3rd party. Personally i believe my second theory is closer to the truth.

Report Post Tip

From another corner in these streets

I'll answer your first question, Fabio. Yes it was.

Detroit were due to go too but with the lack of organisation it was left until yesterday. Yes I am a good boy and knew this and didn't betray my father with info he was trusted with... even after I've been trodden on by some for my father's actions.

Seeing as the father of the man's who said these words was a Right Hand Man to a Godfather in Philadelphia, I'll trust his word. They had multiple parties warning us about a (very likely) take down coming for Detroit and The Loop. They were presented with warnings from sources that had proven reliable in the past, so why wouldn't we trust in them? If anything we would be stupid not to trust in these warnings, when they were a weak link at the time. So naturally, they prepared for a first strike or at least a defense, but this was mostly rendered useless when it became known that Lexie had supposedly approached New York. Still, they prepared and fought.

Then the whole thing of Archy shooting a LH from the Loop happened, and there wasn't really a doubt as to what would happen.

Report Post Tip

Ahhhh, I see what you are saying now... you had "evidence" of an imminent attack on Chicago and Detroit by Philadelphia... and you assumed that this was "evidence" of a planned take down by New York and Philadelphia... It all makes perfect sense now...

Report Post Tip

Enough evidence to act on. Let's take a look at what we got:

• We were the weak link 
  • We got a tip/warning from usually reliable sources ✓
  • There were numerous things New York wasn't happy with. 
  • We heard that Lexie sold us out, thus ensuring a takedown. ✓

If we didn't act, we would be stupid. Now, we could at least do some damage. Makes perfect sense, right?

Report Post Tip

So, shall I sum your evidence up for you?

You more or less just admitted that the reasons Curtis gave for taking down Chicago was correct.

• We were the weak link 
  • We got a tip/warning from usually reliable sources ✓
  • There were numerous things New York wasn't happy with. 
  • We heard that Lexie sold us out, thus ensuring a takedown. ✓

Essentially, Chicago knew it was a pile of Monkey crap, so instead of doing something about that, it was better to start a war they couldn't win and then spend the next 3 generations crying about the outcome. Seems legit to me.

Report Post Tip

We didn't think we were a pile of Monkey crap, but we had the feeling that New York & Philadelphia had doubts about us and picked on this, because, well, they could. Like, take Ragnarok's speech about Chicago auths. He was wrong about one auth (the one in the Loop) but still he could judge about us because New York was in a much better position.

And instead of listing proper reasons for why NY thinks Chicago was shit, we get a vague definition of lack of communication in coffee ships etc. It's rather easy to see something as bad or inferior when they're in a lesser position than yourself.

Also, we didn't start a war. And I'm not 3rd generation, tyvm.

Report Post Tip

As Red-Cloud walks down the streets he overhears a discussion and couldn't help himself but to clarify a point made by Chris to someone whose name he couldn't pronounce. 

I don't believe Chris was stating that you are third generation, he said that the ones that lost the war would spend the next three generations crying that they lost the war. In your case he is correct with this statement so far, will your sons still be doing the same? Let it go and let the fallen rest in peace. I'm sure the future holds more wars to complain about, let's wait until then to start complaining again and work on rebuilding what we have now. 

Red-Cloud holds out his peace pipe and nods.

Report Post Tip

In your case he is correct with this statement so far, will your sons still be doing the same? Let it go and let the fallen rest in peace.

When the leaders (finally) make the effort to list their reasons for a takedown, they should expect that the close kin of the fallen will defend the legacy of their ancestors, right?

It's not so much complaining, more debating the reasons given and disagreeing with the statements made by Mr. Vaughn about the take down.  

Report Post Tip

Nine times out of ten it's a business decision and the fathers of the fallen if they knew what was good for them had already taught their kin what it's like to be in a business of our kind. If that has happened the kin would know that it's best to just move on and rebuild what has been destroyed and make a better more productive business. Doing what you are doing cannot benefit you our your families pocket book whatsoever and if anything could only hurt you. I do believe I see more bodyguards following you around as well since when you first came to this corner. Is that just a coincidence or do you in fact know that what you are trying to pull is a risky maneuver on your part? 

You can't change what has already happened, all you can do is learn for the future. Repeatedly bringing it back up doesn't do you or your future kin any good. You have to also remember, those in power are always right. We don't vote on who gets to hold what and who is right and who is wrong. Many of the families my kin has been in there were always rules stated that their leader always had the final say and whatever they said was correct was correct unless someone above them said otherwise. If you want to learn more about this go to any library and read up on just about any empire that has ever existed and you will see how the leaders held some pretty radical ideals. Looking back of course we can see that they were wrong, but looking back what had happened to those that told them and the masses they were wrong? Nothing good unless they had a large force backing them.

Report Post Tip

I do believe I see more bodyguards following you around as well since when you first came to this corner. Is that just a coincidence or do you in fact know that what you are trying to pull is a risky maneuver on your part? 

What are you on about?

You can't change what has already happened, all you can do is learn for the future. Repeatedly bringing it back up doesn't do you or your future kin any good

Didn't bring it up, merely giving commentary on what was said by others.

You have to also remember, those in power are always right.

I don't believe in that anymore, but I accept it.

Report Post Tip

Finally the man who is all about street presence talks besides auth speeches lately. I recall you saying before if the streets die what do we have. Further more, someone who was so sick of certain people in power some time ago, now finds themselves acting in the same manor. Killing and not saying a word. When you get all worked up because someone doesn't like what you said, agree ordid something you don't like, you throw a tantrum. Calling people mentally challenged. Fuck this fuck that, grow some balls and spew some shit. Quite a tough lad we have become and a standard we have set mate. Go back to being a mute. It's nice not listening to a egotistic hot head.

Report Post Tip
Report Post Tip

My only complaint is that it took 17 days to make the speech. It would've been nice to know why the city was wiped out closer to the time that it happened

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Explanations
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL