Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 12:49:06
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Respect is Earned, Not Handed Out at the Door. Started by: VladimirVoloshin on Apr 23, '15 02:28

VladimirVoloshin, with a bundle of papers in his hands, walks hastened towards the center of the streets with a look of importance on his face.

When he stops he leans against a light pole and begins shuffling through his papers and finally exclaims,

Alright, I have something to say that has been touched on many times before, but for some reason we must continue to bring up in these streets.

People begin to crowd noticing that Vladimir indeed has something to say.

I've been contemplating saying something about this issue for some time, but never thought it was a good time, when it finally came to me. I have to make it the right time by bringing it to the front lines.

Again, I'm not the first to bring this to the forefront of everyone's minds, yet I still feel it needs to be reiterated. So here it is.

You ARE NOT your father. You ARE NOT your mother. You ARE NOT your grandfather or grandmother, nor are you any of your ancestors. When you are born into this world, you start fresh... and riding in on your parents' coat tails should not and in most cases will not happen.

For those of you out there that feel because you father or mother held some positions, whether its Godfather or LHM, and feel you deserve some sort of token of gratitude, or demand respect, I'm sorry to tell you that the this world does not work that way. You are not a reincarnated reanimation of your father or mother.

I don't need to sell myself to you. Nor do I need to sell my crew to you. Nor should any crew leader, sponsor or crew. We've earned our place in this world with the suits we don, and the buttons we carry.

This whole attitude of having some influence because your daddy or mommy did does not reflect well on you, and to think you are going to win people over by talking your parent up... well, let me just say that it won't work. At least not for me.

Now, I realize that relationships may be built between your parent and some leader somewhere, but don't think that means that you are entitled to the same standing of your former bloodline. It doesn't work that way. You may think you are barney badass at Gangster or Wiseguy, but to the rest of this world, you look like a punk, and will continue to be one.

I want to close with a conversation I had with a boy who I attempted to recruit some time ago. I will not name his name as to save him embarrassment. 

I begin by asking if he needs help and after some small talk, ask if he needs a home. He responds:

"Perhaps. I have been long enough to know how it all works. But sell yourself to me. Why should I join you? I could have any crew I want... why is yours so special?"

My response:

Vladimir chuckles.

Look here boy, if you think that I believe I have to impress you.... niet. I don't impress you. You've impressed me with your work, but that is all. Don't mistake that impression for some need for you to become my associate. Those of us from the motherland don't bend over, especially to kids fresh off the boat from where ever.

You may have a bloodline may be long and your father's influence may have been huge.... or maybe your father was a nobody. None of that matters to me. As of now, you are a nobody. And as a nobody, I have no interest in impressing you.

We don't need to prove ourselves. We've done that by the positions that we hold.
I am offering you an opportunity to join our great city. You may take it or leave it.

You are more than welcome to choose another place to live. Or not.

With that Vladimir extends his hand, waiting to see if the man before him will embrace it or walk away.

After it all, he humbly apologized and I did take him in. But this is a mild example. I've had newcats basically demand I prove myself to them. I'm tired of that. As are most of us worth our salt. 

You must earn a place here. It is not given.

Vladimir turns, and walks into the crowd but waits around listening for anyone to retort. While waiting he lights a cigar and pops open his flask, filled with russian spirits.

Report Post Tip

Archy was just passing by on his way home after a long night at the bub, however the speech caught his ears and he decided to stop, he chose a light post and leaned on it for some support, he waited for the respected man to finish, then tried to take a step forward, but felt like losing balance and reached back to the post.

"I'm so glad you brought this subject up, comrade. It's been a while since it was last brought up that I started thinking people forgot about how respect is earned. However, I feel I have to disagree on one of your points, we usually fill in our ancestors footsteps, we usually select the same path, befriend the same people and even worse use the same regular drug route our ancestors might have been using for a decade, and unfortunately, sometimes you get the same well or ill treatment your ancestor once had as soon as you step on those shores, whether you plan to stick to their way or chose another."

"As you stated earlier, everyone fresh off the shore is himself/herself, not their ancestors... That's the way it should be and the way they should act. Anyway, I have to admit I came across a few people like that recruit you approached, some cocky fuckers thinking too damn high of themselves, they think they earned a lot with their petty skills and snatching purses that they start making demands. As you said, we earned our positions and respect, for that we shall never bend over to such an attitude from a nobody and I am sure if that was the case with each and every crew leader and sponsor in our world, we would be seeing less of those actions."

"It really is weird how the word has flipped over though, is that really what we got to? Instead of an associate trying to impress a crew leader for an invite, the crew leader is the one that has to leave the good impression and beg a thug to join him? I personally would rather have a recruit fresh off the shore, with no prior bloodline here, than someone with a big long bloodline that starts bitching and demanding on his first day in our lands."

Archy shakes his head in disappointment as he waits for a passerby from Philly to accompany him home.

Report Post Tip

"As you stated earlier, everyone fresh off the shore is himself/herself, not their ancestors... That's the way it should be and the way they should act. Anyway, I have to admit I came across a few people like that recruit you approached, some cocky fuckers thinking too damn high of themselves, they think they earned a lot with their petty skills and snatching purses that they start making demands. As you said, we earned our positions and respect, for that we shall never bend over to such an attitude from a nobody and I am sure if that was the case with each and every crew leader and sponsor in our world, we would be seeing less of those actions."

I can't agree more with this.

In the few weeks I've been running a family here in New York, I've been astounded at the attitude of certain recruits. None that I employ, of course, as anyone that seems to think I should be either throwing money at them or making false promises in order to tempt them into my HQ, are very wrong.

Many people have delusions of grandeur when it comes to this. It doesn't bother me one way or the other who your ancestor is. They could be related to a famous Godfather, but it's not the Godfather i'm getting, its a young associate. So unless that associate is doing something to impress me and warrant my attention, then I really don't care who the person is related to.

Thank you Vladimir for bringing this topic to the streets, and to you Archy for sharing your view also.

Report Post Tip
You say we aren't our mother or father yet that is (in the most cases) the first question asked by all those recruiting and in New York's case expected if we are to join the city.

So if we aren't our ancestors why do you and them ask?
Report Post Tip

Scott-Weiland was wondering around the streets looking for his car keys, he always seemed to lose them after a drunken escapade, not that it ever stopped him, but it did seem to be a common occurrence. He takes his flask from his coat pocket and takes a nice long drink, obviously not learning his lesson from the night before. He looks down and sees his keys, scooping them up, when he hears Vladimir speaking of respect. His attention peaking, he approaches Vladimir and offers him his hand before he begins to speak. 

Before I approach the topic at hand, I would like to thank you Vladimir for bringing this subject back to the prominence that it needs. And Zan, you ask why a new member would be approached about their ancestors? I believe there is a distinct difference in being asked about your ancestry and expecting to be treated differently because of it. I could have a great Godfather in my ancestry, and of course I would disclose that. However, I would not expect to be treated as that Godfather. I would aspire to reach the same heights, sure, but on my own Merit. Of my own effort. Your ancestry doesn't define you. They are dead. You define you. And that's just the way it is. 

I've noticed the "prove yourself" messages from the sons and daughters of our past, but I've also been seeing a steady rise in the same behavior from supposedly new blood, their first time on these shores. That being said, it could be a simple anomaly, and not something we will see often. However, it is worth mentioning. 

I believe that when you don the bold suit, or when you attain your button, that is when your respect is earned. Does everyone deserve a measure of respect? Yes. Does everyone deserve the same measure of respect? No. Does it depend on your rank? In my opinion, yes and no. It depends on what you have done, what you have proven. Not every Made Man is made the same. Just as not every Don has taken the same path. Respect is what you earn, and it won't and can't be, the same for everyone.

Report Post Tip

Zan, I don't know about you but as I said, everyone already fills in their parents footsteps somehow, but you ARE NOT them, they are dead already and I am sure that's what Vladimir was pointing at earlier. You can't go to a crew leader and be all like "Hey my father was an IWP Chairman, I demand protection, money and respect for that", honestly, if it was me you came to with such words, I would tell you to go fuck yourself for all I care and I would definitely not want such a cocky fucker in my crew.

However, the need to identify your bloodline by any crew-leader is essential to predict your actions, looking at anyone's background agenda helps determining what kind of gangsters they might turn out to be, whether you'd be suitable for their organization or not, whether they wanna risk having you in their family when/if you have a suspicious bloodline that is known for being a trouble maker.

Some things change, but others don't and depending on the background a crew leader would form after knowing about your bloodline, how they usually act and handle matters in this thing of ours, they would decide if they would want to recruit you into their family. And just like Scott-Weiland said, you can be of a famous and strong bloodline, but fail to prove yourself worthy of the reputation, so It falls on your shoulders at the end to determine your place in this community.

Archy then turned to TyrionLannister and tipped his hat at the man.

None needed my friend, it's always good to see our streets flourish, especially when such hot subjects are addressed.

Report Post Tip
I believe this does work both ways.

New York has a policy in place (as is its right) to say that bloodlines of mafioso must be revealed to at least the leaders of the family.

Fair enough, Mr Voloshin is saying that any accomplishments for a past ancestor must be left with the grave diggers. Something which I do agree with especially when people EXPECT special treatment.

So if we take both these points and put them together, should it matter who the bloodline is and what they have done in the past.

Basically if achievements do not matter, why should indescretions. Why the need to reveal the good or the bad?
Report Post Tip

Fabio, I beg to differ, the good or the bad doesn't get buried with the body most of the time. So as explained earlier, it helps a leader form a decent picture about how you might turn to be. I am sure history has proved that some rogues keep their rogue tendencies, and loyal hard working people always have a kin that is loyal and hard working.

I am not saying that it's the case, but someone's bloodline is a huge factor that affects his/her personality.

Report Post Tip
It is the world we live in then.

In a perfect world the actions of the father would not weigh on the son and the Great Great Grandson would not have to reveal what their ancient ancestor did.

But due to historical events and the knowledge of what havoc has been caused before, the leaders of New York are (understandably) looking out for themselves and their families by asking these questions.

Im just an idealist and that perfect world sounds pretty sweet to me, I'm sure my Great Great Grandfather would say the same.
Report Post Tip

Watching on as drunks and speakers of the streets gather together, Chronic can't help but hold a smile. Although he has never stepped forward and spoken publicly before, he mulled over his thoughts and mustered his opinion ready to share with those crowded.

"Like all others, I too was asked about my ancestors upon joining my family. I do think it is a necessary precaution for Sponsors, Crew Leaders and Godfathers. As some of the faces here have mentioned, you will not be treated any better than the next man for your kin's achievements or reputation. Sure, your family connections remain and you have an easier route of communication with some of those in our community after attending gatherings with your kin while they still walked the shores -  you remember? Back when you were just a nipper..."

Chronic stops a moment, looking at those around him. Flasks in hand and stinking of booze, a rush of jealousy overpowers him... A sober night was a rare thing for him, but sometimes necessary. His speech-making was not the best and a few whiskeys was definitely what he needed to help him out right now. Not meaning to let his mind stray off too far on a tangent, he continues,

"Why must families know of your kin if you are not to be judged on their merit you ask, Zan? ... The answer is quite simple, really. As a child, your first teachers are those around you - your Father, your Mother, Aunt, Sister, Brother, Uncle, Granddad, Grandma... Whoever raised you was responsible for teaching you the rules in which you should follow when paving your future. If they lacked the ability to learn the simple rules of life themselves, how can they be trusted to pass them on correctly? Of course, the same does work the other way too - if they did great things, no doubt those you speak with will consider your potential of also achieving great things. However, do not misunderstand - whether you are taught correctly or not, there is no guarantee you will act the same as your ancestors on either account. But it shows good indication of the future you may come to follow."

Chronic was appreciative to have been given just a few moments to share his possibly inexperienced but nonetheless honest opinion. He holds out his arm for Archy to take for stability in preparation to get the ol' drunk back home to Philadelphia before he manages to find a spot still open to customers.

Report Post Tip

On her way back from her morning pilgrimage to Joe’s Deli for a cup of coffee, Moxie hears quite an active debate going. Having sank half the cup of coffee, she felt awake enough to handle participating, and so makes her way over. She considers carefully the words of her crew leader, Vlad,. She feels a small surge of pride as he describes his handling of those who wish to see a crew leader sing and dance and “sell” their crew to those fresh off the boat. To her, though, the issue has two separate parts, and so she waits her turn to respond to him.

Good morning Vlad. If I knew you’d be out here this morning I’d have brought you a cup of coffee along too – there’s something about the way they roast the coffee beans down at Joe’s.

Now. The issues of bloodline and of the expectations that are for some reason placed on crew leaders to impress those fresh off the boat are two separate issues to me. Although they are both symptomatic of a lack of respect and merit assigned to rank, that issue in itself has been split into two in my eyes.

The reason for this is the policy change in New York which bans people from remaining entirely incognito, that forces people to reveal their bloodline, at least to their crew leader and to Godfather Chairman Curtis. The policy is one that Silvio_Manfred_Dante recently alleged lead to his own fathers death.

Now, I understand why Godfather Chairman Curtis and the other leaders of New York did feel as though this policy was necessary, do not get me wrong. Rogue attacks over and over by the same bloodlines become too costly to continue to bear the brunt of, both financially and in terms of the damage that this kind of attack does to relations with other cities. It must also be noted that there are five other cities across our world that those wishing to try their luck at remaining entirely incognito can choose However, what the New York disclosure policy does reinforce across our world, whether intentionally or not, is the idea that bloodline does matter. Why? Because in our world, two cities can currently be considered power houses, to be ‘ruling’ this thing of ours. And one of those cities is New York. And the image that this policy gives off, is that New York is saying that in some way, bloodline does matter.

Now, I haven’t been in New York all that long and I haven’t been a member of New York’s upper structures for that long, so I can’t say for certain how the information that people are forced to disclose on their bloodline is being used once it has been obtained – whether it is then used in order to hold people back or push people forward because of their bloodline, for example. Others may be able to shed more light on that, but from a personal perspective, I’d say, “probably not”. My bloodline doesn’t appear to have done me much harm, but again, the experiences of others may be different.

Regardless of this, it diminishes the argument that bloodline shouldn’t have any bearing over anything when bloodline is clearly considered to be such an important factor in any given individuals personality by one of the most powerful cities in our world that it must be disclosed. So that in itself, I believe, then diminishes the level of respect attached to ranks.

There is also the issue of ranking standards being different across different leaders. Some will hand out rank like it is candy – does that mean that those people should be afforded the same respect as those who have obtained their rank under a leader known for maintaining standards much higher? I wouldn’t think so.

The issue of leaders having those fresh off the boat demand that they go out of their way to impress them is easy enough though. If every leader in this world approached that issue the same way as Vlad did, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Moxie falls silent, her thoughts shared. She stands back and continues to sip at her remaining coffee.

Report Post Tip

Perhaps the world should not work that way, but it can and usually it does. Who your father or mother was can be very important.

Naturally a leader doesn't have to perform cheap circus tricks to a demanding scrub, but I do feel that a message such as the one you displayed is a correct one. There is enough choice around here, and if you're trying to recruit someone it's justified for the associate to ask 'to sell yourself' to him. Encourages a bit of healthy competition between crews too. 

Of course leaders don't have to lick their soon-to-be-associate's feet, or bury their nose in the sand for them, but I'd expect that they're trying to get across why that associate should join you out of all people. 

After all, when we arrive here we get plenty of time to look around and there are enough leaders trying to get more members.

Report Post Tip

Perhaps, MinamotoNoYoritomo, the very problem is that there is too much choice to the level that it leaves some leaders to feel they should lick their soon-to-be-associates's feet. I really do feel as though the sheer scale of our world compared to the numbers of us actually actively inhabiting it is far, far out of balance and has a lot to answer for in terms of why standards so often appear to be completely and utterly out of balance. 

Moxie shrugs.

That's something my line has been saying for nearly two years now though, and nothing has changed, nor do I expect it to. It's more an issue for Gods than men, though.

Report Post Tip

But then we should put the blame on the leaders? If there are leaders willing to go that far and lick these feet, are we to blame the associates for expecting such acts? 

Some leader say: I offer you a home, take it or leave it. But there are so many people who are very much willing to offer you a home, so that doesn't work anymore. Maybe less leaders would work, but I do think that would slow down city growth and it will make things slow and boring. 

So, I think that someone asking you what your family is worth and why you should be the one to join is a valid and actually very good question to ask. Don't stoop to the licking level and don't be the guy who has nothing to offer but a home.

Report Post Tip

Thank you for bringing this up. I wish I could say that you are not your father or mother but that is an extremely difficult thing when you are held accountable for them. Even more so when you are held accountable for a far back ancestors actions. It is also hard to see people saying this when many leaders will tell you that they chose their hands because of who they are. Because of who they are, they feel they can trust them. Not all leaders do this, but it is a common concept around this community.

So while I feel like we should all have clean slates when we arrive upon these shores, there are circumstances that clearly do not make it so. I really would like to see this happen though. Truly happen.

As far as leaders selling themselves I think this is wrong. No leader needs to sell themselves but they should be open to discussions about their family. Since not every leader runs it the same way I believe that it should be strongly suggested to those arriving off the shores to speak to people. Get a feel for how they think and what their family goals are. Open discussions on things that can be discussed first should. This way no one can really say "Well I didn't know what I was getting myself into."

An ancestor of mine say a family tag that suggested that they had incentive packages for joining. This does not help because people then feel that everyone should be offering them something to join them. That is not how things should be done. At least that's my opinion on the matter. To suggest incentives for joining is opening the door way for people to suggest that a leader should be selling themselves to possible recruits.

Report Post Tip

Not all leaders do this, but it is a common concept around this community.

I think you will find all leaders pick people they know and trust. Those that don't, leave themselves open to big mistakes. 

Report Post Tip

People they know and trust are generally based off a bloodline. Thus you are basically saying what I said. I wasn't saying it's wrong or right that I can save for another argument later on. It does however make the fact that having a clean slate once you arrive on these shores almost impossible in this case.

Report Post Tip

I beg to differ Shae, I never knew most of my own family before, actually my bloodline and that of Lynchy (who is now my RHM) or Rose-Raje (my LHW) has never came across before. Sure everyone prefers the closer relatives, but you can't just generalize that over everyone. Fresh bloods always get a chance as long as work hard and earn your place within a family and that's what Mr. Voloshin meant to point out with his speech.

Report Post Tip
I think its about time this is an issue.Respect and hard work should be number one.When we enter the mafia life,We are all new on day one and one day try to be a Dom.But hard work and long hours at the office. Then we need to figure who say they are new or lair at the door step!!!!

But then come new life with new family show them the ropes of the game
Report Post Tip

I beg to differ Shae, I never knew most of my own family before, actually my bloodline and that of Lynchy (who is now my RHM) or Rose-Raje (my LHW) has never came across before. Sure everyone prefers the closer relatives, but you can't just generalize that over everyone. Fresh bloods always get a chance as long as work hard and earn your place within a family and that's what Mr. Voloshin meant to point out with his speech.

I think you misunderstand Shae, Archy. She said that a leader will always pick people they know and trust. Now, are we to assume you didn't know, or trust, your chosen Hands? I would be astonished if that were the case.

I don't believe that she was inferring that these people are known from their ancestory, but simply that the person you currently employ is someone you have gotten to know and trust.

The point being, it's somewhat irrelevant as to the ancestory of them and its pretty pointless for people to always get hung up on the fact that many leaders pick people for these roles because they've known their parents, as they are still only going to pick someone they know and trust. If someone in the family works hard and forms relations then like you said, they will get that chance.

The problem is we have many people in our familys that we've known for a long time and because of that relationship they work hard for us and the work ethic is often greater than others in the family, which reduces the chance of someone else new to you being recognised for the job role of Right or Left Hand.

Thats just my thoughts on it, though.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Respect is Earned, Not Handed Out at the Door.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL