Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 04:40:32
Page:  1 
What makes you feel compelled to speak up Started by: Nestor on Apr 29, '15 12:19

Fabio touched on a very interesting point in his response to another speech. He said:

"Perhaps because of the the fact you have not moaned or cried you have no responses but this is how we should all act in defeat."

So why is it that a much more positive speech gathered so little attention and why is it that people who are just venting out of their frustration, most times in an unproductive way, get the most attention?

Is it because we love to show our superiority by shutting down arguments we disagree with? Is it that agreeing with people is not as fun as DISagreeing with them?

What do you guys think?

Report Post Tip

Both of those I'd say. Arguing, debating and venting is just infinitely more fun.

And really, that particular speech doesn't really need to have much of response, as there isn't much to respond to, unless your father/mother was from Chicago or you want to applaud the man for not moaning/bitching.

Report Post Tip

I agree about that particular speech, but in general. I remember MANY speeches where some people try to convince others "not to feed the trolls" but it seems many people cannot stay away from certain topics. Many times it even escalates to the point of disrespect.

Report Post Tip

People telling lies.

Seriously. I cannot stand reading something I know is untrue, I feel absolutely compelled to jump on in and correct the person. I don't mean in the sense that someone has made an obvious error and needs correcting, I mean in cases where people use outright lies to try and distort peoples version of the truth.

Such as the conversations you speak of Nestor where there was a certain Troll that was often denied food. The reasons behind people saying to never feed that troll were because logic and truth mattered not to this man, he made up all manner of lies and when questioned he would simply either ignore the accuser, or drag the conversation into a petty battle over the words used. 99.9% of the time the man was speaking completely made up gibberish, which is why I was often seen foaming at the mouth ready to correct him.

But you know what.. that's what he wanted. I didn't care though, I would still feel compelled to correct him. Perhaps that said more about myself than it did about him.. but still, I didn't and still don't, care.

Report Post Tip

"I would suggest that it garnered so few responses for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the majority of people it was directed at are dead, their next of kin may not be so eager to race to these shores and may still be immersed in mourning or a period of distance from our world.

Secondly, it was more of a statement than a discussion point. An admirably noble and dignified statement I'll grant you but not one that demanded a response. This could also be a reason it yielded so few."

Curtis thought for a moment while having a lunchtime tipple from his flask.

"It is often the way that trolling and pointlessly argumentative elements of our society contribute to the most feverish debate. It is hard to generate a large discussion for things almost all of us agree on. Never the less, dignified acts and noble statements should be commended. They are appreciated by more people than it may seem. I often don't comment on debates and conversations out here but I almost always listen, and I do take note of people who conduct themselves well and others who's only purpose seems to be to antagonize and conflict with any notion presented.

I suppose whether its a point of discussion or a statement everyone will agree with, I am just always pleased to see people coming out here to share their thoughts."

Report Post Tip

Fantastic speech Nestor . Really, it's something I've thought on a lot in the past and shared with others at the local coffee shops but there's really no definite answer, it's really all just opinion. 

I suppose the drama filled rants get the most because, well, they're most often than not.. given in the heat of the moment, in tumultuous times and are easy to stir emotions of others. These rants and those that are direct attacks, even indirect attacks towards a group or city incite many responses from those walking the street at the time. It's just the nature of the beast, I suppose. 

Now on the flip-side, those speeches we see conjured with such ingenuity and effort most often than not, generate a few responses from the crowd. Why? Well, isn't it easier to argue and stomp than to sit and elaborate on thought? For most that's the case.

I really like going either way, depending on the topic. However, I'm not going to lie.. I do snoop in the drama rants and such! They're really quite amusing.

Report Post Tip

1) Having knowledge on the matter at hand.  No point in talking about something you don't know about.

2) Something to say which hasn't been said in a different way on multiple posts.

3) Said topic must pique my personal interest.

Nestor's speech certainly deserves commendation in my opinion.  It's the way all offspring should respond to the death of their parents.  I just never thought to do it until now.  I've been busy selling drugs and committing other felonies.

Report Post Tip

Micheal walks out and addresses the crowd.

Personally, the only time I really feel the need to speak up is when it affects me in some way, shape, or form. If it doesn't, well I see no reason to comment on something that wouldn't affect me anyways, I'm simply adding fuel to a smoldering fire that I have no dealings with.

Now, I do have exceptions to this rule, such as when I see things that are just plain wrong. Requiring talking on the Streets in order to become Made for example, that I have a beef with and even though it won't directly affect me, I feel like I need to throw in my 2 cents since it's such an important issue for all of us, regardless of rank or bloodline.

With that, Micheal fades back into the crowd, opening up a cold beer.

Report Post Tip

After listening to all the fine lads and ladies speak, he finishes eating a cookie and opens his flask and washes the cookie down with milk.

While I pretty much agree with everyone in some since here as all have relevant aspects to them.  I say that people tend to be able to talk more on negative subjects because everyone can be E-Thugs and this is the mafia. I also think a good portion of people read on a topic a GF posts say for example a removal of a city and all a sudden they know everything that happens so they jump on the bandwagon of the GF that posted it and they float their 2 cents.  While I might be wrong on a few I do no some people just use it to their advantage to post as their post meant little to no relevance after I read it.

Personally myself I don't post on something I know nothing about, such as a recent promotion.  Instead of giving him my respect and best wishes in a post I sent him a letter with my congratulations on the promotion.  When I see someone post something positive and has relevance and is good, not only will I respond but I typically tip as well.

While everyone has their own needs and wants, I feel the negativity will always win due to people feel the NEED to post more often on a negative post to show their support of a certain aspect or person.  It's in human nature to follow someone deemed in power such as this world of Mafia we live in.  But once again this is just human nature, negativity is much easier to write about when there are plenty of examples prior to base the topic off of.

Taking another swig from his flask of milk, a sweet sigh or relief as he screws the top back on.  His guard handing him his coat and another opening the door to his new Bentley and closing it behind him.  His guards follow in tow behind in other cars as he speeds off down Main St.

Report Post Tip

Our world is about honor and respect.

When someone blatantly go against that, it angers people, and therefore those people are moved to correct said someone. Lies are a big one for me. I struggle to keep to myself when I see an outright lie.

Also, people are more likely to act when defending themselves. When you are not threatened, you generally don't need a reason to defend yourself.

That being said, I read Dee's small speech and was moved by it. It is refreshing to see someone continuing respect even after their father is buried.

Curtis was also correct that Dee made more of a statement, and there was not much left for a response outside of old members of CH.

That being said, I wish to see more of Dee's attitude. It is a welcome change from what I'm used to seeing.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What makes you feel compelled to speak up
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL