Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 13:04:43
Page:  1 
Earning Your Way Started by: Woodpond on May 04, '15 16:12

Ever since Woodpond stepped off the boat to start a new life in this new world, he had a dream of becoming someone who mattered. Starting as a young thug for the family of Batiatus, Woodpond worked as hard as he could to prove himself worthy of possibly being a Made Man. It wasn't long after he started work he began getting promoted from thug to gangster all the way to wise guy. 

As Woodpond looked back upon his achievements of becoming a wise guy. He was called into Batiatus's office and asked to take the the oath of swearing his life to his Crew Leader and to Omerta. Batiatus then told Woodpond that this is what it means to be a made man in Manhattan as well as New York.

Taking the oath meant a lot to me. The ceremony that was held, the whole ordeal was something I'll never forget. One thing that was always told me that trust was always the biggest factor in getting your button.

Not much longer after Woodpond was promoted to Capo was he sent to IvanRomanov's Plant. This change was due to the size change in the HQ size of a Godfather. What a transfer it was, Woodpond continued his work for Ivan and and ranked all the way up to Don in his crew.

When I came over to IvanRomanov, he didn't know me or knew or my bloodline. He simply told me to work hard and get involved. I did. And ever since then the trust between us was undeniably there. What I'm here to ask is what do you think qualifies someone to get their button? How does a leader continue to promote someone into the ranks of our world?

Report Post Tip

Murphy frowns a little at the public speaking of such a guarded secret, a speech whuch defies the laws of Omerta at its base. Once the young man's speech is finished she gently takes him by the arm and whispers into his ear to meet her in a coffee shop around the corner. Once there, in a private booth she leans across the table to whisper to him. 

"Look I get what you're trying to say here but the thing is, as prominent as we are here in this world, we have a code to adhere to. Each one of us works hard in our roles whether it be goomba or godfather. Each man and woman who is in a family has their own guidelines to adhere to and each requirement is different. What qualifies a man or woman to get their button is simply the fact that they've met their own leaders requirements and built up trust. You can't go around questioning their authority unless you have the position to hand out your own buttons. It's not up to us on the bottom to tell the top what to do it just doesn't work that way. A leader promotes a man he trusts, he demotes a man who fucks up, and he keeps a tight reign on his city and family and that's that."

She can't help feeling defensive and a little angry though she doesn't let the emotion come through more than furrowing her eyebrows. The coffees she's ordered come and she smiles at the waitress, handing her enough money to cover the cost and a weeks worth of tips, leaving the surprised waitress to skip away. After taking a sip of the bitter brew she sets the cup down and gives Woodpond one last look before standing up. As she gathers her bag she gives him one last piece of advice. 

"Respect is earned, trust is earned, work hard and do your job and most importantly, keep your mouth shut simple as that. Omerta isn't just a guideline it's a way of life." 

Report Post Tip

Katra smiled as she overheard the conversation. Quickly slipping into the empty spot that the previous woman had left empty.

While I can appreciate that it is not the lower ranks job to tell leaders how to do theirs, it is also not our job to be blindly following any random schmuck. When choosing your family you do have the ability to discuss things such as rank requirements with them. Some are open to telling you whether it will require a lot of effort or little to none. Not every leader works the same way.

Some leaders will promote their friends before their hard workers. Does this mean you should give up faith in working hard for your leader? No. Just think of it as an opportunity to show that friends aren't always the best especially if they tend to slack off and do little of nothing.

Katra gets up. As she is prepared to leave she remembers one more thing.

Not all leaders are alike in their promotions. You can't tell them what to do but just keep in mind they don't all work the same and aren't held to the same scale. They are held to their own scale and their Godfathers scale, until someone decides those scales aren't measuring up and removes them.

With a grin, Katra slips out of the spot and leaves it available for the next person.

Report Post Tip

When I got here Woodpond, I found my way into IvanRomanov's family and while the difference from your story to mine was that we both knew each others bloodline's and they had worked for the same goal at one time or another, this said, we didn't really know all that much about each other, only what our grandfathers aimed to achieve and in fact did achieve in one way or another, but he said the same thing to me that he said to you "Work hard, get involved and there is nothing that you cannot achieve...".

I took his advice, worked my way up, did my best to help the family and gave my advice when it felt like it could be openly shared. I believe that with each family it is pretty plain to see that things are different, each requires something else, while some family leaders want money, others want loyalty; someone else may want something more...

I believe in a good work ethic, each time my bloodline washes up on these shores they develop a new one and it changes constantly. I will learn from what I learn here and try to develop on my own to present to others the way I now do business.

Loyalty, Respect, Hard work and at the end of the day $$$.

Report Post Tip

It's a good job you swore an oath to omerta, just in case you ever felt the need to disclose information about a highly secret ceremony that has the upper echelons of a family present.

Report Post Tip

IvanRomanov steps forward to fix some confusion that others bring to the conversation.

"Murphy, I just want to point out that dear Woodpond here is just asking what others think the qualifications should be to gain a button. He knows how to earn a button here in Manhattan. Well, he knows some of the traits I look for in my button men. Not all of them. Anyways, being a prominent Don in my district who is currently being looked at to take a leadership role here, he is just asking what others look for. I know Woodpond very well and I know where you're coming from when you question his authority.

But he's not questioning other leaders here or anything. He is simply asking the rest of the masses what traits or characteristics they would look for if they were in a position to give someone their button. And I have to agree madam, omerta is a way of life."

Report Post Tip

Murphy nods in respect to Ivan. 

"I understand your meaning sir, and I did not mean any disrespect with regards to you or to your man here. My family has been on these shores for many years, in and out of the business. My ma ran her own crew and had very strict rules for her men in her days. Most important was the issue of respect both to her and to the godfather above her. As for me, I know what her ideas were for qualifications, and I know what my own Don's qualifications are for his men. It does indeed vary crew by crew and leader by leader. If I had to pinpoint a list, it would be small but fair. Respect first and foremost to all around you, even in disagreements with others would be my number one rule. Number two, Doing your duty to your crew is the second most important thing. You show up, you put on your best suit, and you get things done. Some of us run businesses which are foils for our more illicit activities, some put their special skills to use in other ways but all who want to earn their mark have to put in a hard days work. Number three, presence. I understand there are some who are slow of speech and talking is not their strong suit, but there are many ways to contribute to a family, speaking up is only one of them.  Everything under those three are sub-rules if you will, things that follow under those headings of respect, duty, and presence. Those were my ma's rules, those are the code I live by." 

Report Post Tip
"Signore Woodpond, I respect your thinking and interest in what makes our most distinguished friends worthy of the immortality of acceptance into la famiglia."

"Personally, for me it comes down to integrity and loyalty. What more can you ask from one who offers you everything?"
Report Post Tip

I agree Mr. Gato that intergrity and loyalty are VITAL links in that chain. But so is putting in your work.

For me, nothing feels better than knowing I earned every dime or rank I aquired

Report Post Tip

After listening to his fellow mobsters give their input Woodpond spoke.

"Murphy i get what your saying. Yes i was just asking personal opinions. Not what a leader expects. Being Made or getting your button has lost it's luster since my bloodline first came to these shores. As for me you all bring great points."

Woodpond pauses for a moment to take a drag off his cigar.

"To me integrity and loyalty as Mr. Gato said but also respect and the ability to work as hard as you possibly can, play a role in this thing of ours. Also Murphy your presence point is me all the way. I will take up for my family when i need too but i am quite a lot which i am hoping to change. As for your points you hit them right on the head."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Earning Your Way
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL