Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:10:01
Page:  1 
An Echo Started by: JadedButterfly on Jun 16, '15 22:48

Jaded had been wandering out Philadelphia lost in thought. Today she had a few things that she had noticed that she was curious about. She wasn't sure that she was going to bother saying anything but soon found herself amongst a crowd of people. She had been listening to the recent auth speeches but their seemed to be an echo with them.

"Why are they repeating themselves?" she asked a nearby person. He just shrugged. He didn't seem all that interested in the speeches to begin with so she moved onto the next person.

"Really, why are they repeating themselves? Why are people repeating themselves in these speeches?" She asked. Again she was met with another shrug.

Soon she braved up the courage to look around her.

"Does anyone know why they are repeating themselves? It feels like there is an echo in the streets. My journals talk about times that when discussions were brought up too close together that they were told to be beating the horse with them and that it was unnecessary. So why is this different? Why is an echo suddenly tolerated?"

Jaded looked around her. She was curious. It was something that seemed odd to be hearing something twice so close together. She had hoped someone would provide some insight to her questions. She could draw her own conclusions, of course, but it would be nice for other people to speak up as well on their thoughts.

Report Post Tip

"I think it has something to do with the sometimes rapid pace at while the masses turnaround. Speeches are archived and plastered to walls and poles, there to read but not to listen to, vestiges of someone who lies 6 feet under. These echoes are sometimes important, people needing to reiterate pertinent information for the new wave of youngsters. Sometimes they're the same thing over and over because no one listens and frustration levels rise. Some men just speak to hear themselves do so, you never can tell."

Declan winks and tips his hat before leaning against a light pole. 

Report Post Tip

Jaded smiled over at the man.

"Thank you for your wisdom on these things. I was getting frustrated that perhaps I was the only one that heard the constant echo. I couldn't figure out why it needed to be so constant these days. Perhaps you are right though. AS you said maybe they feel these things are so important they need repeating because people do not listen the first time. "

Report Post Tip

After hearing the speech he recalled a story

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream.  The scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "because if I sting you while you cross the stream, surely I shall drown ."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out. But in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, but has just enough time to gasp "Why? Now you shall surely drown!"

The scorpion replies: "Because it is my nature."

Report Post Tip

Times change, JadedButterfly. Times change, and standards change with them.

We hear it often that the streets are not what they once were. That is said, echoed, time and time again. To be honest, one of the most constant features of these streets seems to be a lingering belief that we are light years away from where we used to be on them, and it may well be true. 

But the times HAVE changed, and people with them. 

People now seem to consider it a tremendous effort to manage to muster up so much as a simple auth speech now. There is no need  to speak, and therefore even less of a need to truly consider what you are putting forward, to research your topic and to try to present it with as much originality as possible.

I think that is certainly one reason for the constant echo.

I do think there probably is more to it though. Realistically, there are several sides to any story, any point, and quite often speeches do go off on tangents that make them intimidating to get involved with if you aren't particularly eloquent. 

I think it's easy sometimes when you are quite comfortable on the streets to forget that a lot of people aren't.

Report Post Tip

I think that in these times we must accept that a (temporary) retardation to the quality and standards of our world in general and the streets in particular is very possible. 

Report Post Tip

Are you discussing this echo in terms of all the auth speeches, or just the street activity in general?  As for the auth speeches, yes, it probably does seem like an echo.  For most of us, it has always been instilled in us that one must always create a street speech when authorized to start a family.  If your new family is not announced, its not a legitimate family, or so many people believe.  With the recent war, there just happens to be way too many auth speeches, it cant be helped.  And yes, most of them probably sound the same.  You can add variation to an auth speech, but they will always be basically the same. 

As for general speeches, I haven't seen much of anything in the way of activity, nothing decent anyways.  There has been an echo lately in the way of poorly written speeches, or useless words completely unrelated to our way of life.  The standards of acceptable speeches do seem to be slipping.  Its not like the days when people would talk about unique topics and create brilliant debates. 

I agree that sometimes people do over use topics until there is nothing left to discuss.  I think part of that is because people are afraid to ask what they really want to know if fear of repercussions.  And then also partly due to the lack of encourage to participate in the community like we used to have. 

It would be great to see something new and different, hell even a little more activity would be nice.  Hopefully with the recent changes and new leaders, things will change for the better. 

Report Post Tip

Thank you Prem for sharing your story.

CerseiLannister, you are absolutely correct. Times and people themselves do change. Since you mentioned standards, do you feel they are changing for the better or the worst right now?

I wish more people would be comfortable in the streets but I recognize that it takes time of course. I'd love to hear a lot more stories that people share as well as discussions.

To be fair Cole I have echoed it mainly at the auth speeches of late because they seem to be the ones that are often repeated these days. However, I also recognized that in journals people often got upset when more than one thing was, as they called it, "beaten to death." So I was more curious if there was a difference in then compared to now with the echo of certain topics. Of course I would call auth speeches a topic because ultimately they could be one. However, general or specific topics, they all certainly have the capacity to be echoed.

I, personally, am not against people using the same topics if it comes with another side to discuss, or something new to bring to light on it. I have seen people talk about things that made no sense of late. I have also seen people scramble to every speech just to be seen.

Being hopeful is never a bad thing. I hope to see things improve for the better. At least that is most people's hope for every new reign taking power.

Aleksandr, could you define what you mean by a retardation in the standards? And why must we accept them?

Report Post Tip

Gollum rapidly approaches the streets hobbling a long staring out listening to the echoes. So many Echoes going on around. Maybe the point needed to be made clear or maybe everyone just wanted their voices to be heard but is it wrong or just annoying? Gollum walked up to Jaded Butterfly and listened as she summoned the attention of the gathered after she was originally shut down by so many standing around her. Listening to a few others speak about there thoughts on the matter Gollum decided it would be best if he did the same.

I am not confident in this matter but i do understand where you are coming from. It is a slight bit annoying that the streets were overrun with dual authorization speeches about the same individuals. I think thats fair and i don't think there is anything wrong about being upset with the over flow of auth speeches. 

Personally i find it somewhat exciting. There are so many people getting a chance to lead a family. So many people who are approaching a throne in their city to govern it. Is there anything wrong with people affirming the qualities they see in the members that had worked so hard for them during the war? I don't think so. 

You did mention something that caught my attention however more so than the original topic. You said that people come off to the streets just to be seen. I think those kind of comments go against what we try to uphold here specifically inside the streets. Even you had mentioned earlier that you like to see new ideas or different sides of a coin presented. 

Gollum sits down and sips his cup of tea awaiting to receive more experience from a conversation with the gathered community of members of the mafia. 

Report Post Tip

Hail Vongola! I  come here not claiming to have the knowledge or all the answers to the questions presented, only the dead and the gods know the truth, and they guard it. However I have come to share my opinions. 

Firstly I sit in agreement with the consensus of the worry of tis echo that has plagued the streets, but I am in the belief this shall dissipate in due time for the streets are eternal and ever-changing. 

Secondly I would like to speak about thy feeling on the subject of the street being an avenue for one to be seen. If one believes he must elevate himself in the world of the mafia, then he must command the ears and minds of the people. Thine father, always spoke of the late Great Batiatus, a man so renowned for his speaking. "HAIL BATIATUS!" he elevated himself in this world of the mafia and his words drew many to his side. I myself Martiimus Vongola was a chanced to have witnessed the late Great Chris_Vaughn Speak to the public in the streets. "HAIL CHRIS_VAUGHN" these men I am of the opinion were men of great stature and voice. 

We as people of the mafia are meant to embrace the streets for as the  CerseiLannister a woman of great repute, "HAIL CERSEILANNISTER" has said the world changes eternally and shall never cease. The streets shall remain long after we join our ancestors. Let us embrace it and the change. Thank you.

HAIL VONGOLA!

Report Post Tip

With a retardation I meant that the usual expected quality of the streets must be lowered if you don't want to feel annoyed by it's contents. I think that, after a radical change (like this huge war) people will be inclined to put less effort in to reap the rewards (VIP mapping) and that they won't work on things as long and carefully as they would normally. 

Report Post Tip

Jaded looked over to where Gollum was standing.

I appreciate the time you took to come out here. Now I think you seem to have what I said slightly confused. When I spoke of those attending speeches just to be seen I am referencing those that seem to be talking nonsense. They do not contribute to the matter at hand, instead they seem to have escaped a nearby asylum. While I want to see people come out and speak up, I meant it in making a valuable contribution to the topics being discussed. Is that such a bad thing? To want to see topics being discussed rather than someone talking about something completely irrelevant? I mean that would be like me attending an auth speech and talking about the flowers on sale at a local shop. It wouldn't be on topic and would just be distracting and annoying for others. Does this make more sense now?

Thank you Martii for your time as well.

Jaded turned next to Aleksandr as he replied to her question from earlier.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I suppose for some that standards lower. I like to think that it isn't a necessary thing but I am just one person.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An Echo
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL