Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 12:04:01
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Roleplay and Smileys Started by: Aleksandr on Jun 24, '15 15:38

The importance to each person on this subject depends on when you started playing. I will explain my personal experience to get my point across.

I started in 2009 in NY, our Godfather had strict guidelines about street speaking which were posted in every family. For example, you needed to be Made Man to answer to a Boss (I'm going from memory here), a Capo to answer to a Consigliere, so on and so forth. The streets where monitored constantly...a woman who I admired, Starshine, had an awesome story wacked because she used the word 'jet' instead of 'airplane'. Back then, role-play was a priority and nothing was over looked. This is what I learned, this became a norm to me, and when you think about it, it was as it should be. Unfortunately, wars happen...Godfathers die...descendants do not always carry the legacies that were so carefully planed for a role playing game.

Obviously, I believe smileys have NO space in the streets. It is mafiaso talking to mafiaso...let's have a little respect!

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Okay, in addition to the emoticon invasion of role play threads I do have another gripe.

"u must b fukin kiddin' me..."

The words are "you", "be", and "fucking" or "fuckin'".

One of the most irritating things to me is in a text based game words being reduced to txtspk in the role play forums. It doesn't help that they are fully capable and have used much longer and more complex words with no problem. It cheapens the quality and sincerity of the post in my eyes.

Full words aren't a scary thing. Even when using your phone the suggested word usually pops up and saves you the extra thumb presses. If you are on an actual keyboard I'm pretty sure the one or two extra keystrokes won't kill you.

You not only represent yourself when in the role play forums, but your crew, district, and city. You represent your leader. Keep that in mind.
Report Post Tip

Even when using your phone the suggested word usually pops up and saves you the extra thumb presses. If you are on an actual keyboard I'm pretty sure the one or two extra keystrokes won't kill you.

Show me that technology nowadays and  I'll open new worlds to you instead of turning "U" back to Ashes, MarySibley !

Report Post Tip
Are you actually threatening me in a public out of character forum for using your laziness as an example for a growing trend that is taking away from our role play forums sir?
Report Post Tip

Colourfull Ma'am, I couldn't do such a thing, even if your dice stats were so bad as you coming to me asking for it... We all have our decency to preserve, but you maybe don't understand those things...

Report Post Tip
It appears the usage of smileys in the streets (actually "100% role-play") has only increased recently, to my great annoyance. Should we instruct our members on the use of smileys / emoticons or am I overreacting again?
Report Post Tip

I'm a little concerned some people have actually answered here that they are fine with smileys being considered OK in a roleplay post in the 100% roleplay forum areas. I understand people have different standards, but if you can consider this OK, then what standards do you really have, if any at all? If you consider a smiley is OK in a written roleplay, then what exactly would you consider to not be fine when posting in a roleplay forum?

Report Post Tip
when I see someone use a :) or :p or an abveriation like ikr or gl I lose a little more faith in humanity. This is a text based role play game people!! Wake up and realize where you are.
Report Post Tip
That's the problem my bacon loving friend Ragnarok. It's a "TEXT based game" and people seem to think it is a "TXT bsd gme". It's faster, it's quicker, I'm on my phone.. I've heard so many excuses for taking what makes it a game of words and turning it into a game of punctuation combined in a manner to make a face. I think back to when I first started playing text based games. Yes, this is a "when I was your age" type of deal. There was this game that a lot of us played together. There were people that would go off on you and rip you a new one if you spelled a word incorrectly or forgot to use a comma. I cannot imagine what they would be saying if they saw the state of affairs in the "RP" forum today. Between the emoticons, txtspk, entire threads done in italics and/or colours.. Acutally, yes, I can imagine. I find myself cursing internally every time I see it for myself.

For shame! For shame! Use your words kids! YOU KIN DO EET!
Report Post Tip

It does feel like a generation thing. Like, when old timers see the young kids and think 'what the fuck has the world become!'. I feel the same way about roleplay when I look at the newer users not truly having the same respect for roleplay that us old timers do. The question that arises for me though is if this is just the new way of role playing? So much has changed to technology since I first started roleplaying, so maybe it's just no longer going to ever be the same. And another question arises, which is, what has caused the newer generations to not really care about or know about the standards some of us grew up with?

Report Post Tip

Rebellion twrds old gen? :)

Report Post Tip

Liberty of speech? 1st amandment? Are you the old ones the only ones who dictate the rules? Those who don't give a fk about you can't say what they have on their mind? They have not their own minds on things going around? Do they need to adhere to YOUR rules?

Report Post Tip

lol. A little feisty there with your rebellion eh, and I think you may have missed the point of the thread. They aren't OUR rules, just a little something called written roleplay etiquette that has been around since however long, that some of us have learned from playing roleplay games with a written element. They aren't necessarily rules either, just ways of conducting oneself that people learn when they get involved in roleplay with communities that have these kinds of standards.

Some places though, do have certain do's and don'ts that result in punishments of sorts, which are determined by the game admins, but other things are just things that are understood by those that have been roleplaying for a lengthy period of time, like using proper spelling and grammar and not using text speak in written roleplays.

In the case of MR, it's definitely more chilled with the standards than other games. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and in some ways it works for this type of game, and in other ways it takes away from the roleplay environment and how skilled newer people can become in terms of roleplaying.

So, not rules at all, just standards that exist in other written roleplaying communities that sometimes may be lacking here. ;)

Report Post Tip

U no - der wer standards in war makin til the atomik b was invented. It changed rules and standards... Remark plz that I dindnt uz a single koma :)

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

In roleplaying you don't use smileys or emoticons nuff said. 
It just looks plain stupid. It's called roleplay, so you typ out what you do. smiles and winks

Report Post Tip
Smarty, we get it, you like to challenge authority and the "way things are done". You have proven that time and time again.

However, have you ever stopped to think that in a game that is built on the use of WORDS one should SPELL the words. In a game that is built on ROLE PLAY should people not play the role out with WORDS? Generally text based games such as this use WORDS. "u" is not a word. "der" is not a word. "were" is not a word. I applaud you for using the entire words when you said "standards in war". "makin" not a word. "Atomik" ridiculous misspelling. If you insist on being lazy depend on your browser's (or phone's) spell check. It'll do all the work for you!

If you act like an idiot in the forums you are viewed as an idiot and the family/crew you are in is looked at housing idiots, having low standards, and not educating their members on how to do things that will prevent the previous from happening.

It's not hard. Honestly, you can afford the two or three extra keystrokes. You'll even get to burn a portion of a calorie doing so.

You have a habit of doing things just to piss other people off or go against the grain. If you have so little regard for how people view you, take into consideration that they judge the crew/family you are in on YOUR behaviour just as much as anyone else they call a member or associate.
Report Post Tip
Sorry, "were" is a word. "wer" is not a word.

Damn my brain for being wired to spell things correctly. Damn it to Hell and back.
Report Post Tip

Damn, I thought we were in OOC mode here...

If I want to play the role of a character that signs evry single of his phrase with a :) (Smiley), or even if I would want to express myself in Klingon in the streets, would that be forbidden for me to do so by some rules?

I really don't see why you guys so agaced if someone types a fucking :) in his text. You don't like it, ignore it. It fucking agaces me when someone tells to me "Look, you didn't smile corectly, your smile has to be fucking symetric in order to be a smile; and you fucking have to be blue eyed and blonde hair in order to have the right to smile". Capicce?

Oh and authorities can be nice at times, and I prefer those with acting fools inside the system, that those with active selfish traitors or backstabbers in theirs.

Report Post Tip

Smarty there really is no point explaining why you shouldn't be posting smileys in roleplay threads further mate, as I pretty much already did that and others have too, and you seem to be a little too heated about this and want to simply argue for some reason.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Roleplay and Smileys
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL