Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 23:37:01
Page:  1 
Is it really 'Strictly business'? Started by: GencoCapizzi on Jun 30, '15 18:50

The question is really, are the lines between business and personal blurred? I've been pondering the two for a few days now. I've taken examples from all our favorite films, the killing of Santino Corleone for instance. Revenge for the killing of Bruno Tattalgia? Was that in the interest of business? The killing of Tommy DeVito/DeSimone as represented in Goodfellas/Wise Guy was motivated by his killing of a made guy. 

Sure, you don't kill a made guy, but was it personal or business that resulted in his death? I consider any act of revenge, personal.

These are (mostly) fictional examples, however if we apply it to our world, it gets even blurrier. 

I've seen some really great examples on our streets of where we're doing the right thing. Crew leaders are stepping up to remove members who take a mugging personal and try to wack their assailant. I've read retrospective threads here in our OOC forum by former heads of district, who have been advised a take down is due to occur on someone who they consider a friend - and they followed the order as required, despite the remorse.

Hell, there's no better example I know than that of the death of my last character, LouisGato. Killed by someone who I count today among my friends, however Louis was on the other side of the war, and his assailant was ordered to take that shot.

These are all examples of where it is, strictly business.

Where it gets blurry? Alliances, for one. During a war, is your frendship with the underdog crew good for business? Or do you take it personally and take your crew and yourself down in the process of standing by your friend?

For those who have been in the position of power, to make the orders and deliver your business decisions, have you ever told yourself it's business, when really it's personal?

Report Post Tip

Killing a Made guy's bad for business, if one gets away with it, all will think they can with no real repercussions.

The problem with the friendships is that the community isn't huge so there will always be a chance of you coming up against a friend. Sadly, people can't play a character sometimes and that's when things become personal rather than business.

Report Post Tip

GencoCapizzi, I read your question very well. We livin' in a world where nobody cares about biz. Maybe on a longer term... But not even. Now if people close to you die of "unnatural" ways, you know what to do... The right question to pose is what makes people close. And it won't ever be a Haiku.

Report Post Tip

Respect is in that grey area, too. If you're disrespected, is it OK to murder in response? Surely being disrespected is subjective, a personal insult that you take offence to?

Respect with regards to how you conduct your business, how another persons actions affect your reputation - that is a different matter.

If someone publicly berates you, that is damaging your image if nothing is done in response.

If someone sets up in your city, that is disrespectful towards your business.

There are two forms of disrespect, in my mind. You're either doing it strictly for the business, for the benefit of the family and the money you make, or to feed your ego and personal vendettas. 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Is it really 'Strictly business'?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL