Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 07:26:50
Page:  1 
There is no nice way to say this Started by: Deirdre on Jul 04, '15 02:32

No one reads help threads anymore I guess, so all of the objections I am about to list are total shit garbage and I don't care. 

1. I don't know how to role play.  (There are at least 3 really solid, quality threads on the BASICS of role play, go read them.)

2. I don't feel comfortable - No, shut up.  If you don't "feel comfortable role playing" then don't post in the Streets or Businesses.  You can Back Alley and MM and what ever, but GTFO the Streets.  What the hell does IN CHARACTER 1930's ROLE PLAY MEAN ANYHOW?

There are a ton of other garbage reasons and I know I am going to see a ton of them in the responses, so let's just get started. 

If English isn't your first language, that is ok.  We're all learning and grammar and spelling aren't as important as actually getting something of worth out on the streets. 

Get off the soap box.  Please. For Christ's sake.  There are a billion issues on this site that people want to pontificate about, so someone "Pulls up in a car, lights a cigarette, talks to the crowd, walks away" (Those are some of my favorites.)  With thinly veiled attempts at RP so the thread isn't moved to OOC.  PLEASE. Make the speech interesting.  Maybe get a few people in IRC to come up with some talking points and mention them in the speech like you are actually talking to people. 

Pay attention to what era we're in?  GOOGLE. IT.  If for even a millisecond you think "I wonder if I can drive through Chicago in an MRAP?" GOOGLE THAT SHIT.  Plus, when you add details like era specific booze, cars, movies, music etc, it really spices up your story.  When you add Izzy's Toyota into the story, it shreds credibility.  

Don't use emoticons in the streets, try your hardest to format your RP thread with the traditional speaking in quotes, thoughts and actions in italics. (Traditional for this site, some sites or open role plays still use asterisks for actions) 

Don't be afraid to cuss, but please, again, for God's sake, don't quote Kanye West in a STREET thread.  (Or any singer/wrapper/movie star/ wrestler past our time period) 

And lastly, if your name is taken from a popular book/movie/tv show/comic book/cereal box/ kid's show/ mayonaise brand/ etc, leave in character (like, as a jar of mayonaise) OFF of the streets.  We're in the mafia in this game.  Not like, a grocery store RP. 

Whatever. 

I just want to see some more serious and fun to read role play around here.  Everytime I take long breaks from this site it's because it seems like no one gives 2 craps anymore. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Too edgy for me.

Report Post Tip

So to get things straight.

If I, as a Mob Boss, want to walk onto the streets, light a cigar and call everyone a cunt before walking off again. I shouldn't?

What happens if thats the role I want to play?

If the streets were seen as such an important part of the game then why do credits not have any kind of meaning there?

Let's be quite fucking honest. What your public portrayal is pale insignificance if you can BG cap and MIA your bollocks off.

You might not like it but thats the way it is. The credit system has marginalised the need for anyone to have a proper street presence. You just don't need one.

You need to be strong and then you can say pretty much whatever you like in the streets.

As for taking a break because of it. So what? everyone else will be buying credits.

Report Post Tip

You need to be strong and then you can say pretty much whatever you like in the streets.

Or worse still, say absolutely nothing at all. 

Report Post Tip

Or you could share your fukin Harty wit someone else and prettend they were 3 times more under-mafiosos playin...

Report Post Tip

:o Sweetheart, you dropped it on them

Report Post Tip
Dropped what?

I have no idea what that means. Any of it.
Report Post Tip
Gracious, as a DEAD mob boss, I don't think anyone really cares what your punk ass says.
And yes,I realise I'm talking to a corpse.
And yes, it is disrespecting the dead.
No, I don't care.

In retaliation go the next moronic post below, no I'm not an idiot, no I don't care about your opinion, no I don't care about respecting the dead, and as you finish your last sentence please re read this part.

Get fucked.
Report Post Tip
You know this is OOC, right? The only dead there is here are lines of code.
Report Post Tip

I have been role playing for several years and I think get where you're coming from. I don't like to role play on the streets because after all my years of role playing, I don't like to role play with people who 

1. Don't make sense.

OR

2. Don't follow the basic standards expected of a role player.

My standards ARE a bit different than what's on this site, trust me I've read the threads and that's kinda why I haven't done it here. I prefer Chatango.com and role play groups on facebook to role play. There are also forums, but those are a bit too... breezy for my liking. After role playing for several years, I've gathered some notes, honestly most are training tips by old friends who taught me how to role play like a professional. I think, maybe you will find some benefit with them, so I'll post them after this.. but here's a question for you. What is your limits? What are your standards? Most people have different standards man... at times there's no where else to go because you've already reached your peak. 

~For all new Role Players, RP-ers. Some simple notes I have concluded that may help you.~

>> Role play is simply doing an action, but typing it. Almost like writing part of a story, but with someone else using your imagination.
>> For example: -She sits down on the couch smiling as she pushed back her ebony hair, keeping it from hiding her delicate features of her face.- 

>> ~There are two types of role play, one is regular, and the other is cybering which means sex. It is important to let your role playing friend know if you will accept cyber in your role play.~

>> If your role play involves cyber, please take it to PM's or private messaging/ private messages. No one wants to see that, it is disrespectful to others and gross.

>> Your character is very important and it is important to have a really developed thought out character, but don't choose something overly used and generic like a vampire, spice it up.

Name: {Need to have}
Race: {What is you're race and catgory: angel demon halfbreed?}
Age: {Do Not say unknown, unless you have a estimated age based off apperance or pic.}
Apperance: {Optional, but if you use this explain}
Abilities: {Has to make sense}
Magic: {Needs a name and what it does like for ex: Fire blast - A stream of fire}
Weapons: {If any: Needs to know, but if special explain how}
Bio: {Make sure it makes sense, 7 sentences minimum}

>> Make sure you keep your character sheet saved, which is what that is. ^

>>You ALWAYS want to show the difference when you are speaking in character, IC, or out of character, O.O.C.

>> When talking in character you can use these: " " or you can leave it blank. For example: The child was very nice. -Says the succubus.- 

>> When speaking out of character, use parentheses or brackets. ((Parentheses)) [Brackets]. In my opinion, Parentheses are more effective.

>> Symbols for role play actions, - *  or  //

>> When starting a rp with someone, talk to them about the starter unless they have created one and you are responding to it.

>> Do not bring "slave" role plays into real life, making people be your slave, it causes real problems.

>> Not all role players are the same, some have real lives and have things to do. Be patient!

>> Outline for five paragraphs template 1

** This one is mostly used for fighting **
1: Acknowledge what your opponent has done
2: Feel free to have mental thoughts with yourself about it and what you're gonna do
 3: do your action offensive or defensive
4: Give a really good description of what it does IF IT HITS
5: Once again just talk about yourself or what you plan to do next.

>> Outline for five paragraphs template 2

1 One for the location you find yourself in
2 One for your physical description (Clothing, body type and such)
3 One for weaponry or items you have on your person
4 What the weapons do or you can basically describe what you have on your person in this paragraph. Details are very important.
5 What your doing when you enter.

* Five sentances as a minimum for each paragraph*

>> When you get really good, when you are doing your first paragraph, the introductory paragraph, you can use this information to guide you and help you out.. Reminder, this is just your introductory paragraph.

1. Make a description of the environment, add a tiny story to it
2. People like to put descriptions about themselves directly but DO NOT do that
3. Try to introduce your character indirectly. For example if your character is nice, you show it by hugging a tree. If its mean, you show it by randomly burning a tree.
4. Oh and Overall never describe appearance/Clothing: Whatever his/her picture is, is what she looks like on his or her profile at the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Always Role Play in third person, avoid text talk, make sense, NEVER god mod, use vivid and specific details, Be as Literate, Be kind, Be courteous, Be respectful, and most of all have fun. Etc.

Warning: Some of these templates may contradict a bit because of the different teachers. It's for you to decide what you want to use, I can't choose for you.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: There is no nice way to say this
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL