Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 14:26:27
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Mafia Immersion Project Started by: SammyGato on Jul 11, '15 19:15

Part of my enjoyment of the game comes from getting the 'mafia experience' out of it. Like we look for immersion in video games, it can be achieved here too. For those who are here looking for that experience, we've got an idea opportunity to really employ some great immersion techniques.  

It's important that we get behind creating this experience, as those who arrive here fresh off the boat are looking exactly for that. You don't just stumble across a text based mafia rpg and decide you like it so stick around, these new guys come looking for this experience. 

I always try to implement little bits of RP as opportunity presents it. 

If I find a single person sat in jail, from a failed felony for example, I'll MM them a little text detailing how the JB unfolded. Nothing immense, even a one liner. Some people don't want to read swathes of text and you can really tell an impacting story from a couple of suggestive lines of text.

For example...

The fence buckled, Sammy hit the gravel hard. Despite the mess of stone and crimson in his torn up arm, Gato hooks the chain around the bars of your cell and climbs back over. You hear the engine roar and the chain pull tight, before the wall is beaten and crumbles. The dust clears... you're free.

Another example, one of my previous bosses would dedicate a thread to the made ceremony all his members went through. He would detail their achievements and invite the other soldatos to come and offer their congratulations to the new member.

I have plans for this style of immersive play, which will eventually be taken to the suggestion forum. For now however, I'd like to see who would be interested in getting involved in this project. Participation will include writing a couple of short, impacting descriptive texts like the one above, or just providing support and ideas. 

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $145,000 Tip

Mr. Gato!

I am very interested in aiding in this venture. I have plenty of experience in community management (especially in Roleplaying communities) and would love to help kickstart a project with you. I feel like even the simplest of Roleplay interactions can greatly enhance the game play, and expand on this immersion you and I both seek.

Groups like RAWR have come and gone, but I think pushing for something game-wide like this would be fantastic.

+1 for awesomeness!

Report Post Tip

This is something that would be neat if properly done (that is, don't force it on people and don't use it too much), otherwise it will get annoying fairly quickly. I'd like to see a test run, at least.

Report Post Tip

Well, so far we've got the Durden interactivity on the books as the feature is being looked into.

My plans were to perhaps write brief one or two liners to support a players 'first times' on features across the game. First purse snatch, first drug deal, first kill. Add a little bit of depth to the experience that is coded to have their name appear in the text.

Report Post Tip

I like this, I am in and actually RAWR is still live and well, but I have not had the time to write a decent RP in months, but I would love to rectify that situation. With some mafia style RP.

Report Post Tip

I had no idea RAWR was still around! I've seen a profile here or there with the tag, but Haven't seen any activity from that community. (Or perhaps I'm completely missing it).

R2D2! Hit me up when you decide to make a thread or anything of the such.

Report Post Tip

I've got some examples pulled together...

So, a new player commits his first purse snatch:

You hear a scream, but disregard it. Your need is greater than hers, she can buy more stuff, you've got nothing. You finally tear the purse from her grasp and run. Success!

Cons his first schlub:

Pedal to the metal, what a shmuck. You laugh as you drive off in a valet outfit. Yeah, I'll park your car. In my garage.

Lean heavy on the local stores...

Shards of glass trickled to the floor, the owners resolve was nearing breaking point. Destroying one more unit should persuade him to pay up. You flash him a wicked grin as the bat raises above your head once more...

Report Post Tip

Really, I think something like this would be better if it was actually implemented in the game itself. First petty of a kind, first felony, that kind of stuff, get a message. That kind of stuff.

Report Post Tip

It would be good as the level of the crime increases, the manner in which they're portrayed changes. Like the evolving profile pictures, showing the change from a thug to Godfather.

Report Post Tip

TheAgent Will do! It will be in the next few days actually :) I want to put together a joint team RP. Maybe 8+ people.

Report Post Tip

Lets do it then! This is all too exciting :D

Report Post Tip

Ok guys, I've had some interest on the MM for participation in building this before we submit as a suggestion, so far TheAgent is up for it, anyone else want to be involved?

We'll be writing short clips like the examples above, will gather up all the potential situations between us and divvy them out to the writers. Once compiled, we'll submit in the suggestions. 

Anyone else want to be a writer?

Report Post Tip

I'm down. I'm returning after a little break, and am back specifically for the writing. Just let me know what you need me to do.

Report Post Tip

Ciao Sereno, thanks for joining us.

Following the zero interest the suggestion thread received, I'm going to move to Plan B, which is promoting immersion myself. This will include writing brief stories detailing certain aspects of the game and posting in the streets. Longer than the snippets we proposed be added to random crime events, as per the suggestion thread, with a bit more juicy, gritty detail.

I'll be posting these with the (Immersion short story) tag, trying best to format it into a story as possible. Anyone wants to write their own, get in touch and we'll organise so we're not doing the same story, or posting too many at once.

Report Post Tip

I appreciate the thought/effort put into your game suggestion thread Sammy, I really do. You just have to remember, the vast majority of the use base is to lazy to use a whisper, so they're not going to select some pre written selection. Even if it is a grand fucking idea.

Report Post Tip

Thank Ragnarok, my suggestion was to have the statements appear upon random completion of crimes (or failures) just to add that little bit extra to either new players experience or refresh the veterans who thought they knew what was coming next.

Say you hit the wack button, but a different string of text pops up, forcing you to read it to know if you hit or missed. If you hit, you get a great little description detailing how you made the hit. If you failed, well we already have some of them.

Report Post Tip
Honestly, I don't want to read a story if I want to know if I hit or not.
Report Post Tip

Like, one line. The same as the failure wack, if not shorter. It'd add a little bit of uncertainty, it might just be me that enjoys a little bit of mystery as to what comes next.

It wouldn't just be for the wack, it'd be for everything, too.

I can't be the only one in it for the 'mafia' experience, rather than just working the mechanics of the game? Would you still play if it was stripped down to black and white, plain text and stats? What element of the game do you play for?

Report Post Tip

You're not the only one mate, yet getting changes around here is like cutting off an arm it seems. I wouldn't pay too much attention to not getting much from the suggestions thread, as even when some have gotten good heat, they still haven't progressed into solid game changes. I'd focus on what you/we can do ourselves to make it more immersive and not pay too much attention to the negative rabble. Keep at it!

Report Post Tip

RP lines for failures, fine. Great, fantastic! But I'd like my successes to be what they are - simply successes and a bum swimming with da fishes.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Mafia Immersion Project
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL