Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 06:29:07
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
LHM - No longer important? Started by: Rusty on Jul 23, '15 13:53

I've been thinking for a while now and in my opinion the role of the left hand has gradually become less and less within families. Once upon a time, the left hand role would be considered a great honour and they would hold as much power over their family as the family head when the leader and right hand weren't around. They were, in effect, the third in command.

In time though, it seems that the left hand role has become less and less important, with it being more of a position for show than anything else. So why has this happened I wonder?

Part of me believes that with the lack of structures put in place by families, it is a role that is unknown to many. Due to this, it means that people hold no real respect for this position since they don't fully understand what it is a left hand should be doing. Since there's no hierarchy in place other than the crew member being at the bottom of the food chain so to speak and the leader and their right hand at the top, member's have no idea what is expected of the left hand and what it is they can and can't do.

In the past, a structure was put in place by all families so that their members were aware what each role was and more often than not there were more jobs up for grabs within families, such as Lead Recruiters, Teachers, Crew Bar Managers and the ever sought-after Crew Idiot (Ragnarok will know all about that one) and with each of these there was a description on each role. Quite often though and similar to the right hand man, it was only those the leader completely trusted that would be in the left hand role, after all they have access to a lot of sensitive information that the other members haven't, so it's a shock to me it's a position that's given away so rashly, but again I put this down to people, including leaders themselves, not understanding what the role means, or rather, should mean.

Recently, I witnessed someone place a member who was completely new to this thing of ours in the left hand position, their reasoning for this was because they felt it was a good position for someone to learn the ropes. This astounded me, since I couldn't comprehend the amount of power they had just gifted this complete newbie, however it did show me the amount of importance that was placed on the left hand spot in the current era and that was, minimal.

Far be it from me to tell people how to choose their Left Hands but I think it's time people understood the importance of such a role and the potential it can bring to the family. A good, organised left hand can be the difference between keeping people alive and being wiped out completely.

I wonder though, what does everyone else think?

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

McHammer quietly listens to Rusty's story and remembers the good old day with family structures Rusty is talking about. He steps forward and starts talking.

I agree with you sir. But structures seem more important in my grandparents days when the construction workers manufactured bigger headquarters then we have nowadays. The more people in your family the better the structure has to be. Don't get me wrong though because i love having a structure. You can place people on positions and learn them how things work and work themselves up to a RH or LH position.

Not that long ago we saw a person settled as a Hand stealing guns from members of his family and leave. Those members became sitting ducks when a war started. Things like that can happen when you dont have a trusted person on a important position.

So yes i believe picking a LH is as important as picking a RH. They also have loads of responsibilities.

McHammer tips his hat and steps back into the crowd.

Report Post Tip

Rusty, what you've just said absolutely astounds me. 
I would think today, more than ever, the LHM position would be so critical.
Let us face facts that the activity levels of the current batch of CLs and RHs isn't as high as in years past. We get it, people these days have a lot more going on and can't be available at all times. This would stress the importance of having a LHM that would still be able to handle situations when neither RH or CL is here.

I imagine that for the head of a family, seeking a resolution to a situation is something that has a time limit. Having to wait 12, 15, 20 hours for the CL or RH to handle a situation is just not going to cut it, and raise tensions.

I think the head of a family really need to evaluate the time availability of their RH and LH, and select a left hand that could fill a hole left in scheduling conflicts with the RH and CL.

Report Post Tip

While I agree that structures were better used in the larger families, we have seen a change these days in the layout of a family. Rather than a 200 man headquarters, we see 40 man HQ's with a 10 man HQ for the Godfather. So while it's not likely that we'd see a traditional structure as we would like the old days, it's still possible to have one. Especially for the sake of explaining what each role is and how the hierarchy is set up within a city or district.

Report Post Tip

I think the allure of the LHM position is in its flexibility. When I select someone for my Right Hand, I intend for them to be my closest adviser, my friend, my ally, and has command of the crew in my absence because of those things. The position of RHM is pretty stratified in both its importance within the crew and its power/influence outside the crew. When I select someone for Left Hand Man, however, it's not quite the same. Not to say they aren't my adviser, friend, or trusted, but simply to say that the role of LHM has a degree of ambiguity in how they're selected and how the job is performed.

For instance, a LHM could be good with sponsorship and mentoring, and is brought on to provide invites both as a LHM and Sponsor (as necessary) and manage those new members. A LHM could do earnings reports. LHMs could be diplomatic or financial assets, and are brought on as keen advisers or because of their substantial contributions. Some LHMs are brought on in hopes of grooming/training someone for leadership in the future. Some crews say the LHM is in charge in the absence of the CL, some may not. From my perspective, the position of LHM isn't something that comes pre-packaged with expectations and stratified responsibilities; it's a very fluid role that is often adapted to the needs of the crew.

So in that regard, I would contend it is still very important. Not because they're indispensable (because there was once a time where LHMs did not formally exist), but because we attribute roles, responsibilities, and privileges to those people that make them important.

Report Post Tip

I'd like to compare the hands to my actual hands.

I do most things with my right hand, it usually has more strenght and I trust it to do things such as writing better than my left hand. However, I also have uses for my left hand, that I don't do as well with my right hand, or if my right hand is tired. Both are important.

Does that make sense?

Report Post Tip

For some strange reason, all I can think about right now are jobs.. Hands and jobs.

hand jobs.

hand jobs.

hand jobs.

-Snickers to himself as he walks away-

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Orsik, I understand what you're saying but why not have people dedicated to doing those different jobs in the first place? You can have a Lead Recruiter, A Tutor to teach new mobsters, you can have a financial officer, these are jobs that would give members some ownership and would in my opinion bring some more excitement within a crew. Not often do you see people have some kind of responsibilities like those. In my opinion having a LHM tally up your earnings is something I consider to be beneath them.

I think the Left hand should have a much more important role within the family, I feel your right hand should be as trust worth as your left, both are privvy to sensitive information such as the whereabouts of your members.

I think we've undervalued the meaning of the left hand spot for quite some time and I honestly feel this is because people don't really know what is expected of them. For most it's a way to keep individuals happy rather than a reward.

Although limited in their abilities to complete certain actions Sovereign, why can they not be equally as important?

Report Post Tip

* Tommy looks on leaning against a gas lamp post *

Rusty interesting thoughts, but I would venture to say in almost all families if you treat your LHM with as little respect as you do a fellow gangster or new soldier to the family, you will learn the pecking order the hard way. By design the LH is the third in charge; they are responsible for the family ship while the RH and Boss are away or sleeping.

The point of knowledge is interesting as well, I think you can break this into three categories.

1.       Mechanics

2.       Politics Culture Society etc

3.       People Management

Simply because the LH might not be as familiar with Mechanics doesn’t mean they do not understand Culture and Politics as well as People Management and vice versa. Let us also take into consideration trust and loyalty. Your LH is the person other Hands and Bosses turn to when no one else is around. So although you may feel that outwardly the position has lost its glamour, behind the closed doors of our world they are still very much 3rd in command with all the stress, responsibility and accountability as before.

Tommy looks around at the small crowd *

Report Post Tip

With Made+ having sponsorship abilities, the LHM role is completely obsolete.

Family HQ's have been cut down too small for LH's to be of any serious importance now. If the Gods did away with it, the LH's would be the equivalent of a 'Consigliere', someone to give a solid opinion to his/her boss who has a big knowledge of our world (including the mechanics).

Purely for show.

Report Post Tip
They're not equally important because the Gods made it that way. If leaders could decide what privileges and authority the hands have, they could be.
Report Post Tip

I've always considered the Left Hand to be akin to the Consigliere's role. An advisor, negotiator, strategist. Maybe even just a member who has a contrasting personality to the crew leader, so as to provide a level head or challenging perspective that the CL has not thought of. Holding the position means you are considered trusted and loyal enough to be privy to the sensitive data of the crew, which I would consider a great honour.

In an ideal world? I would see the position 'renamed' to that of Consigliere and the rank removed from the ones we would usually be considered for. That way it holds some purpose, some pride and significance. Sure, we can just 'not promote' people to the rank except the Left hand, but I suppose there is an argument for both methods. 

Report Post Tip

House Hobbles up to the gathered crowd and waits for the last person to step down before being helped up to the front by some of his bodyguards 

Having never been a Crew leader myself I only offer my opinion and what I have seen with my own eyes as a crew member on this subject, I was always under the impression that the LHM is the third in command of a crew and in the case of a Godfather the third in command of a district. I have worked in crews that only send the LHM to be a Cl as the RHM is for life but i suppose this just depends on the way they run the crew. In any kind of organisation there is a second in command and when they are not there what then? Both of my superiors were killed by a shell in the great war which left me in charge of the whole field station A job that I took to very well but I was not officially the third in command it would have made my life easier if there was, and eventually I became the head surgeon I was quick to put two people in charge in my absence one with the most experience as the chief  just in case one got hit there was a decision maker still on the ground. The importance of the third in command or LHM is clearly how much emphasis the leader puts on it and how they carry themselves in the crew.

House steps down and pops a pill from a bottle and hobbles off Bodyguards in tow 

Report Post Tip

'steps up to speak and express his opinion on the matter'

In my opinion it should be natural for all crews that when the cl and rhm are not around the lhm should be in charge and should be treated as a respected role and only given to people who have showed or proven loyalty to their crew or city. 

However it is also up to the cl to set out their own guidelines for the position and some may feel there is no real need for a lhm and so will not really include them in the upper structure of the family.

So the lhm position will be different from crew to crew depending on how serious the cl takes the position.

Report Post Tip

Liquid saw big crowd in the streets and heard that they are talking

about LHM position,so he decide to say few words

"I totaly agree with you Rusty,that position should be very important and respected

by some rules that is 3 strongest place in one family,but we are in times were associates dont even

respect a leader,LHM for them is big nothing,I hope that will change soon,because that should be very respected position"

after few words Liquid light cigar and stand in side to hear other comments

Report Post Tip

As most of us have already touched on, the decline in importance is related to the changes in family sizes. These days we now have entire families that are the same size as what used to constitute a "subcrew" within a family.  Even so, for the sake of preserving our Cosa Nostra traditions, we definitely should continue utilizing the full structure, even if somewhat unnecessary. I wonder how many these days even know and understand the traditional structure? In my opinion, one of the worst things to occur to this society over the years is the dismantling of the family structure.  It has essentially "dumbed down" crew dynamics. We no longer need to appoint lieutenants, caporegimes, and a capo bastone, what with only 40 people in a crew. We no longer need to have an intelligent person with good organizational skills at the top.  Powerful families are rare. They have instead been replaced by powerful cities. I could go on and on about this topic, but I'll save you my nostalgic rambling.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Actually LHM is a prestige position. It may mean two or three simple things IMO. When you reach that position in our society, the CL of family considers you the worthiest person of the family after his RH. Maybe even LH is more worthy in all avarage values than his leader or RH. It's just not a position of trust for the CL at the time. It all depends on families and CLs. Sometimes, a CL would place an IA RH at a permanent position or choose none, because he trusts no one. If it's a well functioning family, it means as a LH you will be the next RH when the previous RH gets his auth to rule his own family in another corner of the turf and get your chance at the right time. Of course, like the familly itself, it all depends on leaders' choices, for the better or the worse...

Report Post Tip

Oh, yeah, I forgot, hand persons should be really, really trusted...

Report Post Tip

And another thing also: Sometimes families are so solid and ressourcefull that you don't have only a choice between 1 or 2 homies to be your most precious help. Now if you were a CL, you would have to manage some time sharing according to presence and financial contribhutions. Don't be angry if your CL plays some competition games between his most precious people and gives your place to someone else... It's all fair play, and if you a good player you would be back there in no time.   

Report Post Tip

Johnny chuckles at the way smarty made his point...

"This could of been summed up a little better but smarty lays a good point down... To me Lhm is pretty much a step down from Rhm.. But doesn't mean its less important. Its pretty much saying you are the third guy they value most in the crew. I have been Lhm once before it by know means has zero meaning to be a left hand.. Being a left hand is what you make out of it.. You can be a hell of a left hand or lazy but its up to yourself how much you wanna help the crew as a left hand. If you consider left hand a lousy job that has no meaning then thats oviously how your gonna treat being a left hand.. Its all on you.. honestly.."

As johnny makes his valid statement he gets up and wonders off to attend his every day chores..

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: LHM - No longer important?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL