Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 00:00:54
Page:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 … [ > - >> - >>> ]
Los Angeles Gets a Fresh Start Started by: Duplicity on Aug 14, '15 21:42

Duplicity was doing her best to spread the word among the mobsters of their world. She didn't want the police catching wind of what she was planning for Los Angeles. The movement of new mobsters arriving in a city would make them beef up security. Yet, the city of Angels was in need of some business. Her borders had sat empty for too long.

Passing out the letters to those she knew, the heads of the cities, the info then would trickle down to everyone else. One of the leaders opened the letter and took a peek.

Greetings,

I come to you with this letter to inform you that Los Angeles will be a city for the fresh off the boat. For those looking for a life of crime, but maybe they feel they have what it takes to make it on their own or with a buddy. Of course their ties would only be with those of Los Angeles. They would not be able to have ties with those outside of it. Outside help would be forbidden. They are on their own in their city of LA. 

These members of Los Angeles will be known as "Associates of LA". They will belong to that city and that city only, flying from their city would mean they nullify their chances there and would be free game to anyone who happened to bump into them on our streets. LA is where they can build their future. Where they can see if they truly do have what it takes to make it to the top. Once they reach the honored rank of Made Man and build a business of their own, they will be accepted into our world. Free to roam as they please like the rest of us while they respect the same rules we all do.

I am hoping for a bright future for these new faces. That they can truly make it in our way of life. That none of us also are that bloodthirsty to take advantage of them in their city and remove any of them. For if we find out that any do that, they will be punished for their actions greatly. Just like those in LA will be punished with death if found out that they had help from us out here in our cities. They are on their own, the only help they can have is from their fellow associates. I wish them all the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Duplicity

The leader nodded and then closed the letter before heading off to pass the word down to his friends and family. Duplicity was already off on her next flight to the next city. She was a busy bee and needed to get the word out to everyone. 

(OOC Part)

Los Angeles Rules

- Only those who are fresh off the boat are allowed to take part (You must start off in LA so that your home city shows as LA)

-Those in LA must wear the tag "Associate of Los Angeles" (This is for your protection from outsiders) until you set up or join a LA crew

-No one from the outside world can take part or move over once someone sets up (This means no taking hands from other cities, no one can move to help them, even as a normal member, you have to be fresh off the boat to join an LA crew)

-No outside help period, if an associate of LA gets outside help (shots, money, credits, info) will be shot, no matter what rank they are, even if they already reached Made or higher etc

-LA is your home, you can't leave it, should you leave LA you will be free game to those in the city you fly to

-As soon as you reach Made Man and set up or join the person who sets up you may become apart of our society, flying freely

-Anyone who shoots an Associate of LA in LA that isn't apart of the city (from an outside city) will be punished, they will not have a crew, this does not mean you can shoot them because there was no "protection order out" or "sorry I didn't see the letter". They can only be shot by those apart of LA, end of.

-Los Angeles will stay this way, even if there is a Godfather, of course leaders in LA can auth who they want, but should people want to continue to go to LA and try their chances they can do so

-There is a Bodyguard limit until Made Man. You may only go up to Well Protected till then, after you may buy as many as you want

-LA members still need to respect the rules of our world, don't think just because you are in LA means you can shoot at outsiders for free

Report Post Tip

An interesting concept. Essentially a city running itself, by it's members. I heard this idea float around in my early days in Philly, the idea of keeping those who want to try their luck against each other safe from external influences. Out of the masses, will one or two survive and rise?

Please confirm that I understand, they will live by their own rules against each other, come truce, alliance, war, random attacks, all under their own control?

We could see some real survivors rise out of this, ones bloodlines who either persist or naturally take to the situation and thrive.

My famiglia will duly be informed of the situation in LA.

May luck be forever in their favour!

Report Post Tip

Duplicity smiled at Sammy and nodded.

"Yes, until they set up, they live by their own rules in LA, except of course the normal 'Don't shoot crewed members'. They will still die if they attack anyone outside the city. It is not a city for free rogues. As soon as they set up though they become apart of our world. Free to roam like the rest of us. Running a legit outfit. Hence the 'LA members still need to respect the rules of our world, don't think just because you are in LA means you can shoot at outsiders for free.' rule. "

"I hope that answers you question."

Report Post Tip

-Los Angeles will stay this way, even if there is a Godfather, of course leaders in LA can auth who they want, but should people want to continue to go to LA and try their chances they can do so

Don Duplicity, this part has me a bit confused. Could you expand on that a bit?

Is this saying that, even though once LA has set crews and even a Godfather, any person with the hometown of LA, not associated with any of the other existing crews in LA, would still be protected from being shot? 

That people under the rank of Made Man are limited to a certain number of bodyguards.

Although it's none of my concern, it does have me a bit curious, as it sounds as though if someone does eventually merge as the Godfather of Los Angeles, he still wouldn't have full control of his city and be bound by external rules? 

Report Post Tip

"They will still be allowed to work their way up, have to stay in LA and only LA, and only LA people can shoot at them. They still have to respect the rules of our world so if they pop shots at outsiders then they die."

"So if someone takes Godfather there, they are free to kill anyone who would try to set up in LA (or even if they are just Made Man), but if they don't mind, they can allow them to still make their way up. If someone from LA doesn't take them out first."

"Make sense?"

Report Post Tip

As Sammy mentioned, this was something that was spoken of back when PH was up and running. It's refreshing to see someone else trying new ideas too so kudos to you Duplicity for bringing this out here. Although, we've seen a few things attempted out there, I think this has real potential and I'm excited to see how it pans out.

Good luck to everyone who decides to take up this opportunity, it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

Report Post Tip

Yes ma'am, I have a better grasp of it now.

Thank you once again Don Duplicity. 

This will certainly lead to some.... interesting power moves in LA in the coming weeks.

Report Post Tip

Interesting concept indeed. I do applaud you for thinking outside the box and trying something new and fresh. I have but one concern from all of this;

Un housed members ranking up until they can form crews? During those first 11 days, don't you expect to see bodies dropping like flies as they say. Getting Witness Statements for those under protections orders is nearly impossible, so doesn't it stand to reason this shall be the same way. I'm not advocating senseless violence, I'm just a cynic who sees the downside to everything first.

Report Post Tip

Awhile ago on these shores people brought up how low ranks view themselves as self entitled. This does nothing to help that.

This is just saying that people don't have to work for auth anymore. They can just sit in their own city, build up their money and if they happen not to get shot by blood thirsty people that they can set up in eleven days. What does this tell them? They can do as they please with minimal effort.

I feel like this is a slap in the face to all those high ranks that have worked hard. Not to mention it makes it look like leadership is too lazy to fill what they have killed off. So you take all the people that may not want to join the current leaders and let them just rank up and make a family of their own?  Sounds like a bad idea to me and eventually more trouble then its worth.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
I honestly like the idea! But I just have to say o agree with Melis in some of the things she said. Especially about this leading to trouble in the future.. And again what about all the people who've worked their butts off for their family.
Oh well none of my business just another thing I'd like to point out, I predict a sudden increase in suicides..
Report Post Tip

Melis I disagree. In the beginning, we all start with nothing, so one city has been designated as a free for all, if anything the disadvantage is theirs. They will not make as much money initially or have access to a country of sleeping targets. It's stunted growth, but it's growth you can make without having to depend on a crew leader to keep you safe from the world.

Their journey will be harder than ours. Start up cash, rules, protection, IA lists and fortifications. We've got it made from the second we accept an invitation to become an associate. 

As I said, I look forward to seeing the types of people that succeed in LA. Would it be smarter to clobber together and build your way up together? Even with friends, the world is much more unpredictable when there are no rules or ramifications for your actions, friends can become enemies very quickly, especially when it comes to survival. 

Report Post Tip

Well you and I will disagree on one thing, just because you accept an invite does not mean you have it made. It really depends on the leader and even then that can be an extremely iffy thing because the roads you take are not always predictable. If I have learned anything it is that people are also not as predictable as you would think they would be.

Those types of people? The ones that don't like the current leadership? The ones that felt they were shafted, retired and came back to start in LA because its easier?

Trust me it is easier this way. Much less work to be noticed for your actual work. Although in an age where people are chosen for who they are and not their activity, I guess this would make sense.

Guess we will see, won't we? I just don't agree with it. It's the easy way out for leadership to claim to fill a city and its an easy way for Thugs to feel so self entitled that people claim they hate to see.

Report Post Tip
There are still two other cities to fill so don't get your panties in a bunch Melis. I'm sure those who you say feel shafted or overlooked remember that. There are still opportunities to go forth boldly and lead. This is one city out of three. ONE.

I think this is a fantastic way to get some new blood wearing new suits! It's also a great way for those who think they are never considered or given the chance to lead a way to do it. It's not easy being adorned in the latest fashions of a leader and many of those who feel "screwed" out of the chance learn that quickly when they take a chance in a situation like this. Some people are just NOT cut out to lead. Some like to cause more problems than they solve. Some just like to bitch about things because they have hurt feelings and can't understand they aren't the cat's meow.

If someone who has already established themselves would rather see their child or family friend start fresh in LA so off themselves, woohoo! At least they're doing something and taking a chance that their progeny will do better than they would.

Those butt hurt they didn't get the district/city handed to them, or promised to them, should see this as a fantastic opportunity to bring some life to this place before the stagnancy settles in again.

It'd be interesting if those that bitch about this grow a set and do better themselves, but that might be echoing that "rogue encouraging" phrase some hate so much... "Rank up and do something about it." Well, this is your chance to do just that. Starting with LA.
Report Post Tip

Some like to talk a lot about people they don't know as well. It's a lovely thing isn't it? So much talk.

The joy of any discussion or topic is to voice your opinion. I have done such in a respectful manner.

While some think its a great idea, there are bound to be those that do not. .This doesn't mean they are trying to cause problems. They are stating their points of view. The world would be an awfully boring place if we all thought the same and did the same things.

Is this idea outside of the norm? Sure. Kudos on creativity, for sure. However, I do not think its the way to promote auths.

You want new people to go bold? Auth them.

You want cities to grow? There are enough people that could potentially be placed there. Those that have worked hard, proven themselves and all that fun stuff that leaders claim they want in their auths.

LA is a great place for everyone who feels upset at the current leadership. Its a great place for them to build up and eventually do something about the crap that previously went on for those that still hold grudges.

It could be such a better place, that's true but I highly doubt that is what will happen. We have seen so many things over the times happen in LA with competitive ideas and leaders usually end up changing it anyways. So why should anyone believe this will be different?

I think people should take more of an interest in the lowering standards that seem to be happening rather than giving groups of people that may hate or hold grudges a place to build guns and families.

To each their own though. I have said what I have to say. If people hate it, then that's their problem. Certainly not mine.

Report Post Tip
I do want to say that I believe this is an exciting event. I am absolutely thrilled that so many men and women will be participating in such glory hunting conditions.
Earlier I was reading an old paper titled the Wild West. A man named Curtis did something very similar to LA and his hope was those who would never get the chance to lead could once and for all take fate into their own hands.

Isn't this how the mafia was built anyhow? Isn't this how it all started? One person made their way and convinced others to join him or her in their line of criminal activity. I feel as if we are watching an ant farm or a flower bloom old sport. I personally am tempted to help people and support them, but that is my nature of course and I would not do it. Duplicity you continue to do wonderful things within this criminal world and I think this is one of the best times we will live in.

So if I need to say anything more I simply wish to say good luck to you LA. I hope you all do well out there and many of you will die trying to become something or someone you dreamed of. Dare to dream! Dare to achieve! And do not let anyone hold you back. This is your city and I am thrilled for you all.
Report Post Tip
All I can say is I can't wait to see what happens and good luck to everyone in LA
Report Post Tip
Very innovative idea. Will the experiment destruct into a pile of dead bodies as everyone clambers to be the most powerful person in town or will the populace band together for the common good? I like the idea of no outside influences as it eliminates some of the rabble rousing conspiracy tirades we commonly hear. If someone roses from the slums of Skid Row and makes something of themselves, it will truly be due to their own efforts and not because of their bloodline or who they knew.
Report Post Tip

The world would be an awfully boring place if we all thought the same and did the same things.

Yes, yes it would be a horribly boring place if we watched the same things done the same way over and over again because generation after generation has thought the same things and have done the same things because that's what people do here. For example, the traditional manner in which "Auth" is granted. Same mountain to climb, same asses to kiss, same ol' shit just one a different day just to get auth. After countless generations spent in these very cities there has rarely been a change in the way leaders are chosen from what my family's journals say.

If you don't kiss the right ass, if you argue with the wrong person, if you don't follow along, if you don't do things the way everyone else has chances are you aren't going to get auth or you will have it removed from you after you have been given the chance to lead your own family. We've seen that happen more than once in the past. This is a chance to break away from that and get a chance to see SOMETHING change around here. My family was gone from the cities for quite some time only to return to the same "traditions" and very little evolution so to speak.

Why would we want to go with a "Supervised Survival of the Fittest" system for a change? Why would we want to break away from sending a beloved family member across the country to spread our seed? Why would we want to break that "clique for auth" mentality?

The people that end up setting up there aren't "auths" persay, but people busting out of the same ol' shitty way of authing our besties and relatives. They can prove themselves. Who knows what will happen? Maybe we'll find out there are great leaders out there that wouldn't be given a chance if it weren't for opportunities like this.

Like you said, it's a great place for those that don't like the current "clique" in charge. They can progress through the ranks and try to instill change in the way things are currently being done if they so choose.

This is a chance for those not in "The Clique" (I think that's what I shall refer to the current parties in charge as from now on for shits and giggles.) to do what they do "best" in their minds and lead a group of merry men and women themselves.

The Auth System isn't always the best or only system. Sometimes we need change.
Report Post Tip

"Falcon there is a downside to everything. Which is why in their first 11 days they are limited to only LA to help protect them from people who can't hear, read, or pay attention. I am trying to hope that people will actually open their eyes and not just shoot blindly. I'd like to have faith in our population to be able to do that, but knowing that some will probably fail to do so. That is why there are punishments. I know that like you said it is hard enough to find statements for protection orders, but we will still do our best to make sure that doesn't happen."

"Now, Melis, you can call us leadership lazy for this, but it is hardly that. So many of our population wants to see something different, they want to see something other than the normal. This person auths this person, this person gets control of the city and begins the whole system over again. This is something DIFFERENT for people to try. Will it work? Don't know till we try. Has past things like this worked. Actually yes, Las Vegas under a man whose alias is 'Warrior' worked great. If you want to refer to 'experiment' cities. Of which I tried to steer clear of naming it that. They have succeeded if the right leaders came forth."

"Yet, honestly it is so ironic that you came out here to say something. Out of all the people around here your bloodline is probably one of the top ones that feel entitled. Even if you're just a Thug or Goomba. You feel that your opinions are better than others. You feel that your leaders are wrong in how they do things. Your bloodline is constantly dying because all you do is bitch and complain. You complain so much or tell your leaders they are wrong and your way is right so much that it leads to your demise. That or you take your own life."

"Everyone is allowed their opinion, but some opinions start to smell like shit when all they do is complain. You say we do it for new auths and we can do that in our own cities, why yes we can, and I have, twice. I am not looking for a pat on the back, don't bother. This thing in LA is just ONE of the three cities empty. We have PLENTY of room to move people to those cities and let them build and auth those that deserve it."

"Yet, those who fight their way up and can survive in LA. I think they deserve the chance at auth too, if that is something they are willing to try. Don't belittle what those in LA might try to do. It takes a lot of guts to attempt something like what we are offering. Why? Because you have to try not to be shot, you will probably have to make allies, you will have to build a gun or gain bodyguards if you wish to survive, which means they are truly trying to make it. To say that those going to LA don't deserve their chances obviously enjoy trying to get things handed to them on a silver platter. Sound familiar, Melis?"

"There are plenty of cities to continue to build up the 'normal' way. Which I'm sure you will have a go at when the time comes because no one can ever make you happy, ever."

Report Post Tip

It's ironic that you don't see this as a silver platter. People can skip the ways of the community and live without a leader until they create themselves into one. They do not have anyone they need to prove a damn thing to. Yet you want to talk about silver platters? I reckon (and of course this is just an educated guess) that all the Made Man plus had some sort of hoops to jump through before getting their buttons. Most do. This whole LA thing suggests that these people do not. All they need to do is stay in LA, collect their money without contributing and without having a leader notice their work. They just have to rank and get money. Basically.

No one can make me happy? That's funny, I have been happy plenty of times. If you are trying to imply that I am not happy unless I get my own way that would be extremely incorrect.

You want to take a stab at my bloodline? Good. Go for it. But where my bloodline was 5 years ago, is nothing compared to how I am. My line has worked extremely hard over the years to get to where I can be better than my ancestors were. Five years ago my line would have been rude and disrespectful in the streets, now a days I have learned from their mistakes to be respectful. This is merely an example.

So you can try to belittle my bloodline by bringing it up but I will never claim to be perfect. No one is. But my line has always worked hard and been loyal to their leader. So that is something of a plus when you see so many jumping ships. So for all the bad, my line has improved. Is it as fast as maybe the rest of you want? No, but I am me and you are you. What's good for you, isn't going to always be good for someone else.

Now back to the topic at hand, yes some of the experimental cities have been really good. Some have faltered into the abyss. A lot of the past ones have faltered. There are maybe one other one that went well that I can recall from journals. My memory may be a bit fuzzy.

While you think all I am doing is complaining about this, I have given it credit for creativity. It is different. Yet at the same time I think the downsides should be relevant enough to discuss or at least point out. Do I hope LA turns into another abyss competitive city? No. Yet at the same time I hope that people aren't naive to think there isn't a possibility of anything that has been brought up.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Los Angeles Gets a Fresh Start
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL