Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 16 - 15:45:24
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
An opinion, a debate? Come what may Started by: TommyAngelo on Aug 27, '15 15:43
Tommy drags a small blue crate into the middle of the street and situates it for sitting. He straightens his shirt and looks around at his fellow mafioso moving here and there upon the sidewalks which surround him. He gently takes a seat upon the crate and clears his throat so his voice can be heard over the conversation and hustle and bustle which surrounds

Ahem,

Ladies, gentlemen, gentlemen pretending to be ladies. I come before you all today to ask an ever burning question in my mind and perhaps on the minds of many. This world, as we know it has had its share of great bloodlines. Sons, daughters of past great mafioso have graced our streets generation after generation. We are lucky to see this return, to have the blood of great fallen leaders and strong members of this thing of ours take up their father or mother's work and bring wisdom past down to our thriving community.

However, when does this cross from having great knowledge, wisdom and foreseen potential and into allowing rules to be broken and leniency we would not show a fresh face off the boat with no ties to this thing of ours?

I know what the argument is. "This is the Mafia" and I agree. This is indeed the Mafia, there are rules and guidelines and it's up to the leaders to determine what punishment if any should be used as they see fit. Ask yourself this though, is the punishment for JoeSmo from Brooklyn who has just came off the boat with no ancestors who can be spoken for going to receive a harsher punishment than IvaBenHerebefore?

Are the rules simply bent because we are in a world of organized crime or bent because of WHO someone USED to be?

My opinion is clear through my words that I have spoken. Frankly, I have more respect for someone who follows the rules of this thing of ours and a leader who ensures they are carried out than I do for someone who should know better acting foolish. I don't care who your father or mother was when it comes to the here and now. If anything, you should know better and your punishment should reflect your knowledge of what ever it is you have done.

I turn it over to you fine folks. I want to hear the opinion of the people. Am I alone in my thoughts? Or are there others in my midst which share my view? Tell me what yours is.

Tommy looks up and nudges his brimmed hat from off his forehead using his index finger and waits
Report Post Tips: 4 / Total: $420,000 Tip

Well, your point has been played out time and time again in the streets. There are certain advantages to having a lineage, especially one which a person might give leniency to. However, while that does not make that right morally speaking, practically speaking, it makes perfect sense.

Let me put it to you this way:

Your bestfriend dies, and his son is off being an idiot. He fucks up. He shoots an officer, and he comes to you and says, "Please, help hide me for a day or so, and keep the heat off me." Now, you look into this kid's eyes and you're like, "Well, fuck. This is pathetic." You're thinking to yourself: How could my friend have a kid like this... But what do you do? You help the kid, and hope that he learns from his mistake. If this is a new person completely, with no ties, it's really the only way they'll learn, especially if it's a young life. Most likely that son of your friend would know the dire consequences normally dealt, if they hadn't already experienced them in a previous life. 

That is an example of an innocent crime though. As for offenders of DIRTY CRIMES, like stealth BG shooting etc, and well just verbal harassment or abuse, I say fuck them to hell. 

leaves a trail of gravy as he drops the mic

Report Post Tip

Well, your point has been played out time and time again in the streets. There are certain advantages to having a lineage, especially one which a person might give leniency to. However, while that does not make that right morally speaking, practically speaking, it makes perfect sense.

Let me put it to you this way:

Your bestfriend dies, and his son is off being an idiot. He fucks up. He shoots an officer, and he comes to you and says, "Please, help hide me for a day or so, and keep the heat off me." Now, you look into this kid's eyes and you're like, "Well, fuck. This is pathetic." You're thinking to yourself: How could my friend have a kid like this... But what do you do? You help the kid, and hope that he learns from his mistake. If this is a new person completely, with no ties, it's really the only way they'll learn, especially if it's a young life. Most likely that son of your friend would know the dire consequences normally dealt, if they hadn't already experienced them in a previous life. 

That is an example of an innocent crime though. As for offenders of DIRTY CRIMES, like stealth BG shooting etc, and well just verbal harassment or abuse, I say fuck them to hell. 

leaves a trail of gravy as he drops the mic

Report Post Tip
Tommy nods at SpikeS as he speaks listening intently until he's finished

I agree to an extent. You want to help your friends son or daughter, your heart is going to go out to them but should you? Does aiding someone in bending a rule make you just as guilty if another family takes the act serious?

Quite frankly because this is the Mafia, I'm putting a bullet in his or her head. This is business at the end of the day. If their father or mother and myself hadn't given them enough information for why they shouldn't make that decision then they're bad for business. Simple enough, but that is my opinion.

Thank you for sharing yours. I enjoy it.
Report Post Tip

It's hard for me to honestly give an opinion on this matter because I've never been a CL, so I can't say the thoughts that would run through my head.

I dont think Lineage should matter to such an extent as it does. I know there are Fresh Crew leaders out there now, and it's always good to let people gain some experience in leading. I understand that LA MAY or may not be considered a place where leaders can emerge and their offspring may benefit from their ancestors experience in LA whenever their line may move from the Wild West. However, one thing that I believe everyone should understand is that John/Jane Deer's children ARE NOT John/Jane Deer... They are their children and must also prove that they are worthy of everything such as their parents had to... Our parents mistakes ARE NOT our mistakes. Our parents achievements ARE NOT our achievements. So I dont believe offspring of great leaders in the past should have everything given to them on a silver platter. 

Sure, my parents connections are also my connections, but until I show those connections I am a loyal hardworking person, they shouldn't expect that I will be the exact same as my parents, if that makes sense.

Report Post Tip
Tommy nods as he listens to Dubliner speak

Great point. Your father or mother's achievements should not be an excuse for allowing stupidity or rule breaking. While I am going to want that successful blood near me it is no more valuable than a fresh face if it is breaking the rules or taking advantage of opportunity.

Why do people allow rule breaking or disrespect because of who someone parent was? Yet get up in arms about a fresh faced kid trying to make a name for ones self?

Nature if the beast? Too relaxed of a leader? Or simply a fault of our community more intent on hand holding than the business we're here to accomplish?

Awesome discussion and points so far.
Report Post Tip

Sereno was walking the common streets when he saw Tommy seated. Sereno had been at a local watch shop getting his pocket watch fitted with a new chain. It wasn't an expensive piece but it had history within the family. His parents weren't alive and this is one of the only things left he had that came directly from them, as a gift when he turned 16.

After listening to the boss from South Side and others speak after him, Sereno felt the urge to speak his mind on the matter at hand. He was getting more and more use to speaking his thoughts freely without much concern and this topic drew him into yet another public expression.

"I have to agree with both men before me. At some points you can't help but want to be lenient to people who have strong ties with your own family, but at the same time you know they are making their own way in the world. This business we deal in is much more than a table that people can freely sit at. You need to be invited to the table. Respect is something that can't be passed on through the gene pool. It's earned. Until that respect is there that allows someone to sit with the big boys and girls then there is only so much their family history can influence."

Sereno removes the newly cleaned and repaired pocket watch from his trouser pocket. The gold plated chain dangles as he flicks it open and looks at the clock face. The other end of the chain is clipped to the black vest he is wearing. After a quick glance of the time, it's flicked closed and re-pocketed.

"I must be off. I'll add this last, though, before I leave. Even though we all need to work for our own place in this business if someone comes from a well respected family and this is known, then by association their name will probably also be known. Not their deeds or what they have accomplished, what they have done to be respected as an individual, but simply their name. Some may make exceptions because of this. Whether this is right or wrong depends on what exceptions are being made, like SpikeS has already spoken of. Thank you for the conversation, I really must be off."

Sereno grabs at the wide brim of his black fedora and gives a little nod to Tommy before turning and making his leave. His car was parked a block away, which he was heading for before attending to some business.

Report Post Tip
Tommy returns the nod as he watches Sereno make his way to his vehicle

Another fine point. Earning what you get should be priority number one. If you're father or mother was a great mafioso, surely it gives you a hand up. It's what you do with it, however, that makes you who you are now.

Great conversation.
Report Post Tip

* Looks about and decides to offer is 2.5 cents * 

First off, Great name Tommy - I have to say your the second best Tommy in the game. 

Now off to the task at hand, it is a circular argument in nature with a huge bit of grey to live in...  BTW Shooting a CA or Officer is not an innocent crime or mistake. It is a flat out sin the same as shooting an newbie homeless. The CA is someones means to cash, leniency in the judicial system and more units carried. 

I could say a bloodline is new with each drop that hits the streets, really its up to the Bossman to make that decision. It comes down to two questions really - 

A. Do I want to let this jacktard who ever he is and how long he has been here ruin my name and make a hypocrite out of me within my family and untrustworthy politically in my "leadership circle" /

B. Do I want to hold to my standards and explain to this "new" kin that I am not to be walked on and or taken for granted? 

The answer to that is an individual one that balances, strength and confidence as well as relationship with the particular bloodline. 

Report Post Tip

"The truth is..."

TLM strides into view, his coat up over his head, displacing merely his eyes. His words are slightly muffled but he can still be understood.

"People have a disconnect as to what This Thing of Ours is, and what the People want it to be." TLM looks around. "A lot of people want change. A change from the traditional way of doing things. A change from how Blood rules everything, however no one is willing to actually make that change." He eyes a few people in particular. "Or... you have those that try to make a change, but are silenced, Aka; killed."

TLM sighs, "If a friend of mine were to die today, and his kid came to me I would do one thing, and only one thing." TLM extends his arms. "I would give the kid a pat on the back, tell him that his Daddy or Mommy did well, and good luck."

"If we are to treat these children of great leaders as Different people, then we need to treat them like different people. End of story." TLM crosses his arms.

"They shouldn't be asking for handouts due to their bloodline. Alas, not everyone is going to follow this idea, and many will probably disagree with me. Why? Because most likely those people disagreeing with me have had advantages due to their bloodline, while those agreeing with me have not. Great leaders are made, not born."

TLM chuckles, looking at the other two Tommys. "It seems a lot of people these days are pushing for a more democratic way of doing things. Perhaps having a group vote on who leads the next generation, and have some sort of election among the mafiosos, would be a good idea. However I doubt that will ever be implemented, as those in power never want to lose it."

TLM shrugs, laughing a bit when he finishes his last statement. "Just my two cents on the matter." He tosses a few pennies on to the ground. "More than two, but you get the idea."

Report Post Tip

Who knows why people break rules, or why leaders choose to treat certain people differently.  I agree that those whose family has been here for quite some time should know the rules.  I think they break them because they get tired of this life.  Or maybe they just weren't paying attention.  But I think you had mentioned, this is the mafia, do mafioso really follow rules?  I would think out of respect you would follow the rules of your leader, but respect is another thing that is not always followed.

And as for leaders who don't treat everyone the same way, it doesn't surprise me, but I don't agree with it.  Every leader is free to run their family as they see fit, and if they choose to play favorites, its none of my business.  But, I feel that everyone in your family should be given the same treatment, follow the same rules.  If one of my members who has been around for a long time broke a major rule, they would suffer the same punishment as a new gangster.  It sets a very bad example for you family when you allow one or two people to get away with something. 

Report Post Tip
Tommy listens as both men say what they have to say before standing up to stretch and again take his seat upon the crate

Very good points from both.

From my perspective if you come in as the blood of a great man or woman you should know which is taboo and what is the right way of living this life. As much as a leader wants proven blood is it worth sacrificing dignity and what is right to protect them?

Ask yourself this question, if this blood of a "somebody" was to be in a position of power and your next of kin made this mistake, what would they do?

If we are to hold one accountable because they are not related to anyone in our recollection then should we not hold someone who's knowledgeable to the same if not higher standards?

One more thing, I'm all for democracy. In fact, that's what the commission was founded for. However, remember there is always a head and rules set for all. If we cannot honor them with everyone we aren't truly creating democracy but rules we ourselves then break and become hypocrites. If they want democracy and fairness then you start by keeping the rules you set in place and running this thing of ours the way it's meant to be.
Report Post Tip

*looks at TLM* 

Sir do you have a tick we should know about? Why are you " " everything you say, typically that is assigned to show it isn't your original thought or idea? Unless nothing you spewed about was your own thought... 

Plus - Really read what I said again and  I didn't say anything about democracy did I? I really don't care, to me it just comes down to those two questions plain and simple, which way you fall shows what your made of. 

*Leans against lamp post*

Report Post Tip

Dope loved watching these sorts of conversations unfold, no matter where he was in the streets or what he was doing, people found something to talk about. He admired the political side of the streets but knew what trouble they could bring. A friend had once told him to get involved in such conversations as this, but he wasn't ready. He figured he could just sit back and eat his sweets, watching and learning as the best politicians would battle it out in the streets. One day he would be politically insane like all his heroes, but when would this day come. 

Report Post Tip
Mr. Slippers, I assure you that it was not you that I was referring to about democracy.

Thank you for chiming in though with derogatory comments.
Report Post Tip

* looks towards Tommy * 

Tommy, I wasn't speaking to you - I was responded to TLM and his "TLM chuckles, looking at the other two Tommys

No fears my friend, you are still the second coolest Tommy I know....

*leans back against the post*

Report Post Tip
Hands Tommy a lollipop

Hopefully this makes up for the misunderstanding.
Report Post Tip

TLM laughs out loud before taking a seat.

"Clearly I have been outclassed and out witted by this man."

Report Post Tip

While listening to Mr. Angelo, I feel the goosebumps on my arms.  Excitedly, I find myself reminiscing how I came into this life that led to my many years as a leader/Don and the Boss of Bosses.

Mr. Angelo, in most of my years I have learned  leaders are referred to as Dons and crew leaders are the street bosses and Capos. When I arrived here years ago, I had a difficult time understanding the structure of families. The one who brought me to these shores was my RH on other shores at the time. (UB) My most trusted. I truly miss her. I am certain she has not been seen here for a few years. 

Her and I shared the same values.  Any mobster, regardless of past history, greatness, successes, and social circle, if they fuck up they are swimming with da fishies. We ran a family where the doors were open and if on of ours had it out for John Do, bring it to the table via chain of command for discussion, instead of taking John Do into ones owns hands. Communication builds trust, loyalty and honor amongst a family.

I find around these shores many hard working mobsters are left with their asses hanging out in the wind because they are not the right lineage or noobs. 

Report Post Tip
Tommy tips his hat to Teets

I applaud your well spoken response. I in fact believe the very same way. There's an unspoken code, a law that binds us to respect and loyalty that many have forgotten. No one wants to earn anything anymore and expect and often times are given special treatment. Is it fair? Not at all. But crime isn't fair so we have to organize as our many generations before us learned had to be done to keep common criminal and simple minded folk from wielding a gun and destroying an empire.

Very well said and a great thought to have.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An opinion, a debate? Come what may
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL