Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 28 - 22:09:44
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
What is loyalty to a friend Started by: Gatsby on Aug 29, '15 00:37

Gatsby sets his pen down. He was writing a letter to his old friend, one who he has found is always second to reach out. This was no surprise to Gatsby for as soon as he put on this suit and recognized himself in this syndicate he realized his friendships have always been as such. There was a question that he had with one of those friends that forced him to reflect on what Loyalty to Friends meant. What relationships meant. His intention, Gatsbys, was to speak on what is friendship in the criminal world look like. Yet as he was thinking more about it he thought he would ask that at a later date. For now he was more curious of what Loyalty to a friend looks like. How one separates their loyalty to a family to loyalty to a friend, especially in times most important. Gatsby knew there were some wise folks out there who possibly had a thing to say on such a matter. Many whos fathers and grandfathers were once leaders but even more importantly those who died for those leaders knowing they had to shoot a friend in order for such a thing as their criminal empire to continue to occur. So, Gatsby stood up from his chair. Not expecting many responses from the streets on a Friday night still decided to ask such an obvious question. So if it was so obvious, why would Gatsby be going to ask it? 

A person, who will remain nameless, and I had a discussion the other day that has stayed with me. You see old sport, they were telling me about Loyalty. They said to me, "We have loyalty to our crew leaders and Godfathers. We have loyalty to our crew and our associates. But we rarely speak on loyalty to friends. Why is that?" It was indeed a most interesting topic for me to speak on. We spent a few hours going back and forth explaining that loyalty to the family is, in the end, what is most important. 

My business partners counter was often stated that there are friendships that are far more valuable to him than people in their crew. Generations have developed a deepness in the friendship that the sons and daughters of these two would be something that of real siblings. How can one kill their brother? 

I find that Loyalty to a Leader in your city will always outweigh that of any other business interest. I find that true friendship is tested, and if it is not, then it is not friendship. If you are like me you would believe that in no way shape or form does loyalty to anyone outside of your city come before your own family. 

but perhaps i am wrong old sport...Perhaps i am wrong. 

Perhaps true loyalty is that where your heart desires to be. To keep ones friends alive is much more valuable to you then to keep business partners alive. Maybe true loyalty is not only to protect a friend it is to fight with him, to fight for him. Perhaps true loyalty is in essence the very mark of ones friendship that is only tested in the sands of time by the choices we commit to. 

If you are not following along i would like to restate everything in one single sentence for you. What does it mean to be loyal to a friend who is not in your family?

But then...perhaps true loyalty is to that with which you have already committed yourself too! Even more, true loyalty resides in those who are not only willing to fight for you but die for you. Those within your crew and those without....So how does one determine what it means to be loyal to a friend if such a thing really exists? How does one go about the simple idea of fighting for their city against that with whom is closer than blood. 

You see old sport, i do not believe this is an easy answer. I think we all struggle to some extent with this. If we came in time of war two great families against one another and you looked at the end of your barrel you saw your closest or one of your closest friends on the other side of the weapon, could you pull the trigger? 

My stance has not wavered but it does stand firm. Especially now granted that i am a part of a great family, still looking for members if anyone is interested, as the right hand, my loyalty is to die for these members before they die. It is to kill before they are killed. Even if they are not as close to me as my friends in other families. 

Would you not agree with me old sport? Would you not agree that Loyalty to ones family is higher than ones past friendships? Wouldnt you agree that no matter what your two bloodlines accomplished together that your unwavering support must reside in your crew, city, and leaders before all else? 

Report Post Tips: 3 / Total: $600,000 Tip
I would most certainly agree with you Sir, however I can always see the benefit of having friends in low places.

I think for a mobster it is not only important to have friendships within your family but as well throughout the community. I would say it boils down to the situation. I have read journals, and some of the old bloodlines can think of an instance as well, where a friendship without another family has paid off large dividends.

There is also saying that most of the time when someone meets their demise it is by the hands of someone they would call a friend or family. Loyalties are great and they should be a number one priority, but there is also nothing wrong having a fall back plan in case shit hits the fan and family just isn't there to protect you.
Report Post Tip

Personally, I would agree with you my good sir. Family always comes first for me.

However, the truth cannot be denied there have been instances where friends have disobeyed their leaders and even went as far as to betray their families and won out in the end making off better they were to begin with. But in the end, it always comes back for you. Karma, the great equalizer. Betrayal is met with betrayal and blood is met with blood. For me, it is best to stay true to the group you chose rather than the individual. Friends may be well and good but in the end, friends must say goodbye one way or another while the family stays.

This has been a fine conversation but I must go now. A great deal to do, and very little time with which to do it.

Report Post Tip

Sereno recognized Gatsby, the old sport, whom he felt had a rising reputation among the streets and within this thing. His knack for finding out information about others and being able to connect with a large audience impressed him. The situation in LA and his work there came quickly to mind, as Sereno listened to the Right Hand Man of The Chicago Outfit address the topic of loyalty.

Thoughts arose within the mind of Sereno as he listened to Gatsby and others step forward and voice their opinions, then when the discussion seemed to offer an opportunity to step in and voice his own, he did so. The topic, like many others that pointed toward the character of an individual in this business aroused a spirit in him, a passion, and with the passing of a good friend of his recently he felt the need for an outlet. It just so happened the topic coincided with the situation behind his dear friends passing.

"I'd like to add, I think one thing in this world is constant. One thing that no matter the feelings that come and go, that ebb and flow, that rise and fall with friends and family members within this business, stays true and unshakeable. It's that one thing that no matter the new connections we make and the friendships that fall to the wayside, will never change. It's what has existed before us and will continue to after us, if we keep it alive. It's the code that keeps this thing in tact."

"Those here and listening know what I'm talking about and if they don't they better quickly learn it, by whatever means. It's the very glue of this society. The very fabric of this world we live in and for the gangsters and thugs amongst us what they should strive to be a part of and die for. Without it we wouldn't exist. It allows disagreements and bad blood to work side by side. It's what has friends killing friends, as Dick spoke about."

"This code is what I am loyal to. I have made many friends and maybe some enemies. I work for a family that I would die for in a heart beat and my heart swells when I think about being able to do just that. But if I had bad blood with those around me, those closest to me, for whatever reason, then the code is what will keep me on the straight and narrow. These rules are what I am loyal to regardless of the friendships I make and the company I choose to keep."

"I feel fortunate to work for a leader who I respect and for a family that gives me pride. I feel honoured to call these men and women family. But I understand some out there may not have those ties yet or maybe they feel at odds with the people they came to work with. I advise them to keep the rules in mind, no matter what. Find loyalty and honour in living a character deep in tradition and even amongst the darkness you will find peace."

"To live and die an honourable man or women in this thing of ours is the highest form of respect you can show yourself and our community. Rise above the emotions and relationships with others. Find loyalty in what makes us truly great."

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

If you are not following along i would like to restate everything in one single sentence for you. What does it mean to be loyal to a friend who is not in your family?

Ryda contemplates the question!

I have for one had a long conversations with a dear friend and mine and the answer is Familiga. We are honest with each other and that in itself is what matters as a friend. If I die tomorrow they will be there to post.

They understand as I do, Mi Familiga is all I have in this world and nothing is worse than losing the faith and loyalty of those that I chose to be with in this land.

Ryda sits and takes his flask from his pocket and sips.

Report Post Tip

What Ryda speaks of is probably my preferred answer, too. 

Business is business, and successful business is why we're all here. I'm not suggesting that friends should be completely disregarded when it comes down to it, however I would hope that they understand and hold the same philosophy as I do. The success of the business is everything, that's where your integrity lays.

If your loyalty to a friend means you are a detriment to the business, or even a weakness, that jeopardizes your integrity. In my eyes, I don't think that is something that can be respected. 

However... you are correct in saying this is a difficult topic to conclude. The situation would always call to be considered. The trust and responsibility bestowed on an individual, also.

I don't honestly think this has an answer, where your loyalties lay is subjective, depending on where you feel you have the strongest ties. 

My approach would always be to maintain integrity, without that, you'll always be doubted. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Senza had listened to Gatsby's speech and to all others who have spoken their minds about it.

I have to say the same as clearly everyone else says, family comes first.  

If the moment arises in a war, and you stand in front of your friend, and you take that shot, it would mean your loyalty towards your family is immense. On the other hand, you could also choose to not shoot your friend, but let someone else take that particular shot. In that case you are loyal towards your friend but also to your family. 

Report Post Tip

Mike listens to the other speakers before he makes his way up to the front 

"loyalty is a double edged sword people can use it against you to their own ends, being loyal can get you killed it all depends on your principals, For me have as few friends involved in this kind of crime as possible then its cold choices all the way without having to worry about feeling bad"

Mike pauses as he sees a few people trying to talk over his speech

"For me a deals a deal im loyal to my word its what gets me work and you dont get work with no reputation"

Mike steps down and slips off into the crowd

Report Post Tip

Clover nods her head at Gatsby and the rest who were gathered in the streets. She gives Sereno a kiss on the left cheek. That's just how she loves and respects her family. She knew Gatsby since they were children. Their fathers, as well as her Don's father were friends. They usually joked on how old the friendship between their families were. And now, Clover was in Koehler's family. And Gatsby was in a different one of the same city, Chicago.

"I agree with what everyone has said. In this life of ours, family must come first. Your family that has bonded you by blood. In our business, family is more important than friends. We should not confuse the loyalty of friendship with the bond of blood. I remember what my old grandpa told me once. He said, Clover, the problem with friends is their candor. They will betray you if you let them and then they will tell you to your face why: it’s nothing personal, just business.”

She looks far away towards the direction of where Evolution was housed. She then turns back to Gatsby and adds,

"We both know old friend the limits of our friendship. If worst would come, I know you would kill me to protect your family, and you know I would do it too, for my family. That's how our father's raised us. That family comes first."

Report Post Tip

Friends are Friends and family is always first. If your Friend doesn't understand, they weren't Family!

Report Post Tip

Gatsby adjusts his cuff links before straightening his coat. 

Am i the only one who finds this a hard topic to not only speak on but to agree with? I do not believe so. 

You see old sport, i can not find it gratifying in the least to shoot anyone let alone a friend. Knowing their time and effort, the hours and hard work they put into creating a wonderful life for their family all comes to an end because i pull...a trigger.

When you say, Senza, that there is a way around this entire subject. To have someone else take the shot you avoid the conflict altogether. It is still hard for me to grasp. For, what if your war side ally misses the shot on that bloodline friend? What if the war side allies gun misfires and he wacks back on himself? Are you then not only responsible for the death of a friend in the near future but the death of the ally and perhaps more people if your friend continues to shoot? 

For me, personally, I would have to take the shot. They say it is your closest friends who often do you in and i could not deal with myself if i knew someone else took the shot on my friend. They could not care for that person in their dying moments as i could. They could not say one final word to them like i would. Sure I could say all i want in a funeral but he will never hear it. He will only hear that broken whisper that leaves everyone a little empty inside. I think, i do think old sport, that it would be better for a friend to always take a shot in a war than that of an unknown person. 

Report Post Tip
Loyalty is ...... wait for it........ wait for itttttt.

DEEZ NUTS
Report Post Tip

Gatsby looks at Charlie

I will take it as you meant to bring a sort of humor on a difficult subject to wrap ones mind around. I will politely ask you to leave that sort of immaturity to yourself old sport. 

Report Post Tip

Cerebellum heard about Gatsby's question on loyalty and he decided to meet up with his RHM in the family HQ, and add his two cents into the matter...

"Gatsby, ya' know that thing about loyalty you were asking about? Well I figured I would speak up on this one. As you know, my bloodlines have been around these parts for sometime, and I would like to think that I know a thing or two about loyalty.."

C.B. takes a long, deep breath, and then continues with what he was saying.

"In this thing of ours, you swear an oath. Just like I did before you, we swear an oath that above all else, we live and die for the family. You swear an oath that the family comes before everything else. You swear an oath that if for some reason, the family asked you to turn your gun on your own brother... you would do so without hesitation. I believe that loyalty to the family is the most important form of loyalty there is because not only are we your co-workers, we are also your friends, your brother's and sisters, and above all else, your home."

Leaning in, Cerebellum wraps his arm around Gatsby and smiles before saying...

"We are brothers Gatsby, we live and breathe for this family."

Report Post Tip
My apologies sir.
Report Post Tip

Charlie, I accept your apology. I appreciate your level of activity in the streets and i am curious what your thoughts on the subject are old sport. 

Gatsby toasts the man with whom he now held in such high esteem due to his willingness to apologize. 

Report Post Tip
In this world of ours we have friends and we have family .. if you sign up into a family you better put the family first or your a rat and a dead man or women. Because you just betrayed your family and put them in harms way .

There is nothing wrong with having friends in this world of ours.. but when you put them before your family that's just wrong
Report Post Tip

For argument sake,
A close friend of yours is addicted to gambling and has been quite mischievous.
He has debts left and right and needs to pay those debts, and asks you to drive him to this shop to collect a debt.
As expected, things don't go as planned and you witness as the shopkeeper being shot in the back of the head. And with him dead a big source of income is suddenly gone. Very brutal discovery for your boss when he wakes up the next morning.

Your family sends out their people to try find the shooter.
Your superior questions you on the matter.

What you two did NOT know was that the shop owner your friend shot was under the protection of your crew leader.
You realize now that your friend has pushed the envelope, and revealing the truth will most likely be the end of him...

With that knowledge;
- Would you betray your friend, to satisfy your crew leaders sense of justice?
- Would your loyalty excel the need for justice? We all make mistakes right?

Report Post Tip

Appelsap walks on the street and he was till thinking about the way life is, when he walks into a group of people discussing about something. And then he sees Gatsby standing there and Appelsap walk towards him. And Gatsby explains him they where talking about where your loyalty lies. with your friends or with your family. 

"But Gatsby that's a good question, i think your loyalty lays with you family and your friend but in a different way. Ofcours when there is a war your loyalty lies with your friend. you have to shoot him so he doesn't have to feel the pain of losing his own family. And this way you also help your family out. "

"And if you are not in a war and the death of your friend is required, you have to know why he needs to be killed. you need to agree with why he needs to die, if you agree you can kill him yourself. If you don't agree with it let someone else of the family do it. but you need to honor friendship just the same as you need to honor your family just a little bit more."

"Your family is your family and your friend is alway like someone you pick up on the way. Like i always say : friendship grows stronger and stronger but family is your blood. it's part of you and part of who you are. "

Report Post Tip

Loyalty is ...... wait for it........ wait for itttttt.

DEEZ NUTS

This is Rowlf quality. Very impressive from a hand.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What is loyalty to a friend
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL