Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 05:34:04
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page:  1 
Feeback regarding thread moving and deleted posts Started by: Sereno on Sep 14, '15 13:15

As it stands, it looks like users aren't receiving any feedback as to why a thread is moved or a post is deleted. I think there is a wasted opportunity here to help those that don't know any better, by at least informing them as to why.

It may create back and fourth dialogue, yet that could also help these users become better at posting in character in the role-play forums.

So, the suggestion is that when threads are moved or posts deleted, a simple 'reason' is to be accompanied with it. If a post is moved into an OOC forum, a post in the thread wouldn't hurt by the user that moved it to inform the thread starter why. For deleted posts a MM.

Report Post Tip

The number of people who react so absolutely batshit crazy when a thread is moved or a post deleted just doesnt make it worth the continuous confrontations.  The only thing that we could do is provide the url to the instructions and ask them to speak with their upper structure.

I think you underestimate the 30 minute confrontations that we deal with, then when they don't get the answer they like, they go to another admin, rinse.. repeat until an hour or so combined time has been wasted.

We found that users dont want clarification, they want us to bend the rules for them, and/or immediately take down every other thread/post that they point out made by others and demand an explanation on how a page 3 post in some random business district thread wasnt deleted.

God this makes me sound so bitter, perhaps I am... but for our own sanity, I would rather not do things that add to the amount stress that this process causes.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Squishy, I can understand your point, but the "immediately take down every other thread/post that they point out made by others" is only a natural reaction when your effort has been thrown in the garbage. You talk about the time wasted in confrontations. That is true, but the writer's time is also being wasted because of details in some cases.

Unless there is a system in place where maybe threads can be edited and posters can be coached so the effort is not lost, many people will stop posting in the streets and they will be more and more repetitive as more and more people fear to deviate from the few areas where we are sure we can do no wrong, such as RPs and auth threads.

Report Post Tip
Post editing would possibly help quite a bit. Having been on the other side more than a few times, it can be a huge investment of time to be on the defensive as to why you moved or deleted a post. Having the ability to flag a post that sends the OP a message that it is not viewable by anyone until it meets the rules can save a lot of time. I had to institute this on a game I ran a few years back.
Report Post Tip

natural reaction when your effort has been thrown in the garbage. You talk about the time wasted in confrontations. That is true, but the writer's time is also being wasted because of details in some cases.

If a thread being moved from the streets to the OOC because it is OOC is the same as it being thrown in the garbage, then the few seconds to reread your thread to ensure that it is in character is a few very well spent seconds :/

Report Post Tip

I think the following points should be addressed.

• While some people will react totally unreasonably towards admin actions, they will probably react even worse when no reason is given for the removal of moving of their thread. I don't think it's unreasonable to at least give them a reason. You don't need to argue with them, just give that initial reason and be done with it. That way those who aren't dicks will get a reason, and those who are dicks will still argue pointlessly anyways. I thought it was always like this, until recently at least. 
  • Moving a thread because of the amount of OOC replies from other users, essentially ''invading'' the otherwise in-character thread should not be cause for the thread to be moved. Instead the OOC replies should be deleted to allow the in-character purpose of the thread to continue. 
Report Post Tip

Squishy, the time I am talking about, I had the thread proof read by THREE different people. Now, I am not saying we are right and you are wrong, I am saying that sometimes you can miss things and if somebody spends hours writing something and just because you find two or three mistakes you can brush it off into a lesser forum, then you are not respecting the hard work put in, specially when no feedback is being given.

And I only say "lesser forum" because if you go through the trouble of trying to role play things, having them in OOC just looks silly. If my thread is going to end up in OOC anyway, next time I wanna say something, I'll just go straight to OOC and save lots of time not having to role play anything.

sometimes you can miss things and it is fine if they are pointed out to you but this sounds like a hard ass parent or boss that just throws your work in the garbage and yells "AGAIN!!" and you have to start from scratch. It takes the fun away from posting.

Again, talking from experience, if I am in the minority and you feel this scrutiny and hard ass policies and the way it is being executed is giving you the results you expected, then good on you and keep doing it. Perhaps you are gaining more posters than the ones you are losing.

Report Post Tip

I understand where you're coming from Squishy. I'm not saying you 'need' to go into detail and coach them, hell even a simple 'this is what was OOC so it was moved' and that's it, is fine imo. The reason I said to post in the thread itself, was so that us as a community could then deal with coaching in that thread. All you guys would be doing is leaving the reason, and we would be able to take it from there. I think the community as a whole could benefit from these discussions if this was the case, instead of a simple moving of a thread without anything.

I understand if deleted posts don't need to be given a MM for the reason you stated, as it's small time in comparison, yet if a whole thread gets moved and a reason left in the thread. I think education is needed, as some people really don't know any better.

I figure people will MM helpdesk anyway if they really want to query the moving of a thread, why not just post the reason in the thread itself and let that be that. Then those that are more experienced and can coach can step up and take the burden off you guys.

At least this would be better than simply nothing at all, and hoping they don't MM helpdesk.

Report Post Tip

sometimes you can miss things and it is fine if they are pointed out to you but this sounds like a hard ass parent or boss that just throws your work in the garbage and yells "AGAIN!!" and you have to start from scratch.

Wouldn't it be easier to fix the OOC references and repost it?  Starting from scratch sounds like really overkill if it was as you said, a few missed mistakes. 

What we can do is be more aggressive with removing OOC threads rather than moving them, this way if a thread is caught early enough that there are no replies, repost it fixed and we can remove the original.  However, if a thread already has a bunch of replies, we shouldn't "erase history".

I'll make some revisions so that if a thread is deleted, we can make it still viewable by the author so they can easily reference it and only do a few quick word changes, as well as a personal of "This thread was removed because it contained OOC materials.  Things in the 100% 1930's Role Play forum need to be 100% 1930's Role Play".

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Feeback regarding thread moving and deleted posts
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL