Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 03:12:14
Page:  1 
The History of your Character Started by: Laughing_Man on Sep 22, '15 17:48

Hey all!

I was browsing the forums the other day and came across Hawke's Relation-seeker thread (seen here: https://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/674140#112353232) and thought to myself... Why don't more people do something like this? We all reference bloodlines, kin and various small families, but I think it would be really interesting to add an additional element to the game that hasn't been seen yet. A place where people can put their character descriptions, histories, even journal entries so we can all learn a little more about who we're playing. Of course with the amount of deaths that seem to happen so frequently, it may seem like a hard feat to accomplish, however I believe that with enough dedication to this we can really see something get off the ground.

So Polo, you may be asking yourself, why should I care?

Well let me tell you! Lets say you're from a smaller crew and you're looking to get closer to the Big Don, you could go to that Don's character page and read up on their descriptions (which will add to Roleplay descriptions and storytelling overall), their journal entries (which can give you a bit of history to the character), and even where they come from (their former characters, lives, and general theology). Now not everyone will be willing to post this, since I know there are a ton of incogs out there that try to keep their former lives a secret, but I feel that the general consensus on this is that everyone knows who everyone is anyway, whether it's through hearsay or just general rumor-milling that it doesn't really matter.

But Polo, wouldn't it be easier to just post this on your own profile?

Well, yes it would be. But take a moment to look at people's profiles and see what they post. Most people quote others, put jailbreak or pickpocketing successes, general loyalties and various other funny stuff. I don't want to take away from! But if people have a specific Thread or a Group of Threads where they can link to that has their stories and history, it will make it simpler for everyone.

Polo, I get it... you're a roleplayer. But I'm not a Roleplayer, so what should I give a damn?

Well, you don't have to be a roleplayer to write decent stories. And you don't have to be a roleplayer to give your character a miniature family tree. Plus, i'm not saying this to be a requirement at all. This is more so a way to add another level of immersion to this game. Plus if you post journal entries and things (which people do -anyway-), it will only help to get VIP points for your crew, which in the end helps right? So technically it's a win win.

Okay. Now to the bulk of this. Disclaimer: I apologize for the length but this is a general example of what a basic character profile template would be:

Name:

Nationality:

Socioeconomic Level as a child:

Socioeconomic Level as an adult:

Hometown:

Current Residence:

Income:

Talents/Skills:

Salary:

Birth order:

Siblings (describe relationship):

Spouse (describe relationship):

Children (describe relationship):

Grandparents (describe relationship):

Grandchildren (describe relationship):

Significant Others (describe relationship):

Relationship skills:

Physical Characteristics: 

Height:

Weight:

Race:

Eye Color:

Hair Color:

Glasses or contact lenses?

Skin color:

Shape of Face:

Distinguishing features:

How does he/she dress?

Mannerisms:

Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.)

Health:

Hobbies:

Favorite Sayings:

Speech patterns:

Disabilities:

Style (Elegant, shabby etc.):

Greatest flaw:

Best quality:

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes 

Educational Background:

Intelligence Level:

Any Mental Illnesses?

Learning Experiences:

Character's short-term goals in life:

Character's long-term goals in life:

How does Character see himself/herself?

How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others?

How self-confident is the character?

Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof?

What would most embarrass this character?

Strengths/Weaknesses:

Introvert or Extrovert?

How does the character deal with anger?

With sadness?

With conflict?

With change?

With loss?

What does the character want out of life?

What would the character like to change in his/her life?

What motivates this character?

What frightens this character?

What makes this character happy?

Is the character judgmental of others?

Is the character generous or stingy?

Is the character generally polite or rude?

Spiritual Characteristics

Does the character believe in God?

What are the character's spiritual beliefs?

Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life?

If so, what role does it play?

I spoke to Izzy briefly about this via IRC. It's not impossible to do, but it really depends on community involvement and how we all think. I'm open to suggestions, critiques, and comments. It's just a general idea and will be subject to change. On top of that, you don't have to follow this template exactly. There are a ton of templates online that you can find to give your character a better 'character'. 

Let me know what you think!

~TLM:>

Report Post Tip

Well tbf... nothing of the above adds anything but shit... this is mafia.. not the sims.. :/ just mho.

Report Post Tip

It's a way  for people to expand their character, Illusive. This being a roleplaying game and all.

Report Post Tip

Illusive, some people see other players on here as just an empty suit to do an OC with or to shoot at.  Others immerse themselves in the actual RP of the game.  Since characters can live months, even past a year, some people put a lot of time and effort into "what makes their character tick", this includes physical attributes, backstory and all that jazz.  For people who like the immersion of the game - they also like to know what everyone around them is like - people they deal with for hours a day for months at a time. Everyone plays this game a little bit different, so its a little bit unfair to say in general that it adds shit to the game :)

Report Post Tip

I understand that... but still..  what wise guy, would want everyone to know everything about them.. the shady bit adds more than being open and talk alot and being friendly to almost everyone.. sure one needs associates.. and bonds have to be made..
But laying it all out there for grabs...what does that really add?.. It's like... You pick an apple.. don't know what it tastes like... then put a label on all the apples on that three.. and don't want to eat from it anymore if it's sour... 

Report Post Tip

Thank you Squishy and Sovereign for your support on this.

Illusive, I understand your point however you mentioned one key thing that is relevant to this discussion. 

"this is mafia.. not the sims.. "

Yes. This is Mafia. I'll put aside the fact that Mafia Returns is promoted as a Roleplaying Game, and focus on the fact that this is the Mafia. This Thing of Ours, in the Real World, is chalk full of history and stories. Hell, most of what makes it an ever growing and expanding organization is the fact that there are people who remember famous mafiosos and those who were important to key events. It's why there are wikipedia articles and pages for various mafia members throughout history. It's why we have movies like the Godfather, Public Enemies (close enough), and shows like the Sopranos. It's a way to remember those who came before and pay tribute to those who have done things, but more importantly its a way to expand on already established doctrines. I mean, if I'm to go into a thread in the RP section and walk up to... lets say Sovereign, am I going to know what he looks like? Or is he in the darkness so much that I have no idea what he looks like? 

To take your analogy and spin it, it's as if I take an apple from an apple tree and taste it. Then after tasting it I get the flavor of what kind of apple it is. Then I go to the farmer and ask where this specific apple seed came from. 

This is not just something to make believe, but a way to expand our history as a community as well as add more immersion to those seeking it. I understand that not everyone is willing to go to the lengths that I will to write and create a character, but I think it would be a cool thing to discuss further and possibly implement in the future if it gets the attention. 

Overall this is just an idea. You don't have to like it, or even be willing to involve yourself in it. I'm not asking to force everyone to do it. It's more of something those who want to partake in, can. My goal for this would be to convince the administration to put in a Sub-thread under the current Street sections, which are specific to Character Profiles/Backgrounds. Hell, it could even most Crew Profiles, City Profiles, and District Profiles. It could be something that could really develop into a fun story-telling section for a game that is a roleplaying game.

Just my hopes :)

Report Post Tip

It's not about that being more in character or less.. it's about putting down a character.. where you loose all creativity in having things settled... then again.. people are not like that.. people change opinions.. so they change character.. If you understand that... then having things set... doesnt pay off... because of the simple fact.. that people act on what they encounter... on their environment.. and the circumstances.. I know who I am.. and I know what I want to represent..

so many others talk the talk.. but not many walk the walk..

people tend to tell lies.. because they see benefit in it..

Adding more to who one is might be good.. but it can also turn against you... again... just mho..

Report Post Tip

I completely understand Illusive. You brought up some good points and I hope that things won't change -that- much in how people play the game. I'm sure that people will still lie regardless of whether or not this is something that becomes implemented. 

Again, I thank you for your comments and critiques. 

Report Post Tip

There's some of us already that do this. I'm a big believer in writing my character bio out before I role-play. I feel tt gives my post more depth, more story and allows me to become more immersive in my character. Whoever I talk to regarding role-playing and have taught, the character bio always comes up as a first point and a must do to truly enjoy this side of the game.

It's also a sure fire way to not get writers block, as you always have something to be writing about. You always know where your character has come from, where he/she currently is (i.e personality and story), so you know how you want to develop them moving forward. Having a bio and adding it into role-plays takes a stock standard generic role-play post into something more juicy, basically it gives the post more 'character' and detail. It allows for a running story that's much more than just 'this or that happened', and really gets into the character development side of things, which is where I personally get the most enjoyment when role-playing.

Mine is in a BA thread which can be accessed via clicking my name in my profile. For me though it's less for others to know my character, and for me to get more immersive on a personal level. I think it takes role-playing to a whole other level, and if you look at any other text based role-playing games that are strictly forum based a character bio is necessary. They are also there for NPCs, so all users understand the local 'barmen' and what his/her character is all about when adding them into role-plays, or whatever other characters are free to use. It brings more immersion and realism.

I'm all for people getting on board with this. The only thing is, if you put it as a sub category in the streets, due to the amount of death and rebirth it will be a crazy amount of posting and reposting, much of which would become redundant.

I think something more suitable would be to use our profiles, as it would also make it easily accessible. If you want to know more about the character in question, you simply visit the profile and not have to dig through a forum post. If that means adding a section to it, that would be awesome.

There is a URL section, why not a BIO section to add a url to the character's bio page or website if people want to really get into it. This way the user has full control of how they want to present their bio (Back Alley, separate website or webpage outside of MR) and it makes it much more accessible.

Really in depth bio too that you have presented, and something I have found on the more hardcore role-playing sites. I like it!

Report Post Tip
I'll post in here again when I'm more awake, but I'd like to take one second....

"Or is he in the darkness so much that I have no idea what he looks like? "

Mwahahahaha. Darkness and shadows <3
Report Post Tip

@Henri:   ;)

"There is a URL section, why not a BIO section to add a url to the character's bio page or website if people want to really get into it. This way the user has full control of how they want to present their bio (Back Alley, separate website or webpage outside of MR) and it makes it much more accessible." -Sereno

This could work too! I really like that idea. It could definitely be a bit easier to use and wouldn't clutter up anything. I was worried about the deaths/wipes/repeat situation too and overcrowding, so this addition would definitely work better. Thanks for that Sereno!

Report Post Tip

Laughing_Man, you've made me rethink a lot about the building of my character. I'm going to try and do something like this, probably using Sereno's suggestion about a back alley thread.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: The History of your Character
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL