Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 24 - 22:47:12
Page:  1 
Canary Trap Started by: SammyGato on Oct 07, '15 12:53
Our world is heavily dependant on trust and loyalty. Knowing who has ties where will influence what information you feel can be revealed to an individual. One thing that has struck me, is that it would not be too difficult to test the strength of the various Web of connections that a person in your service might have. To see which is the strongest, your own, or another.

I've never considered employing any of these methods, as I prefer to rely on my judge of character. If one day it costs me the life of a character, then so be it. What I learn from a betrayal will be more beneficial in the long run.

My query is, has anyone ever tested loyalty through an exercise developed specifically to see who can be trusted?

Would it be seen as underhanded? Would it have an adverse effect and people lose trust in you? Or would the candidate of the test be proud and respectful that they have passed?

A Canary Trap is employed by feeding different people a piece of information, however tweaking it slightly from person to person. Express the importance of this information and then see which one gets leaked.

It could be something mundane, something that has no repercussions. Or it could be something more significant.

Precautions could be taken, advising your RHM that you're going to implement them in a test, then telling the people that you're going to knock the RHM off removes the risk of getting shot by your own hand, for instance.

A loyalty test could trigger the move from associate to trusted and valued friend.

Something to consider no doubt, when you're next given some critical information.
Report Post Tip
I've seen forms of this done quite a few times, years and years ago. I can't for the life of me remember which CrewLeader I was working for at the time, but this was the scenario;

There was a group of us approaching our "readiness" for our Made Man promotion[s]. There were 3 or 4 of us I want to say? Well, we all had pretty decent earnings, good activity (mine was a bit better than good, to be fair to myself,) who were all respectful, interacting with our crew-mates, and in general just being pretty decent members.

Now this wasn't the same... Agh, how to word it? The time frame I'm speaking of, you weren't as easily promoted to Made Man. (I know this isn't a debate about rank worth/value or whatever, I'm merely stating that with all the above qualifications today, most CL's would've promoted the group of us without hesitation) The only thing was, they had no way of really knowing whether or not we were trustworthy.

They implemented something along the lines of what you're speaking of;

The Right Hand Man (is who approached me, I am not sure whether or not it was him that directly contacted the other mentioned WG's, or if it was another high rank from the family we were in at the time) messaged me out of the blue one day asking if he could trust me.

Obviously, I replied with [something along the lines of] "Well of course, sir, I'd do anything for the family."

To which he replied [again, paraphrasing as this was years ago and I smoke a lot of weed] "I'm sick of our CrewLeader. He's useless and arrogant and he's going to get us all killed. If I was planning an 'unfortunate' demise of him, would you be able to assist me?"

And of course I immediately messaged the CrewLeader asking him why his RH was inquiring about such things, and if there was anything to be concerned about because as far as I could see the family was functioning just fine.

A few minutes later, I got dragged onto IRC, into a private room (stfu SpikeS, there was no sexy-time) and after a few heart-pumping minutes, received my Made Man promotion.

As was the case with all of us Wise Guys, except one. He mailed back with "yeah, i always liked you better anyway and i think he should die" ...Which was obviously met in response with a bullet.
Report Post Tip
Clever, and well executed. I would say that's a 'clean' way of going about it. Internal decisions made through tests like that doesn't seem quite as 'cloak and dagger' as my initial description.
Report Post Tip
Aye, that was merely one example. I've been part of a few others where well known groups of friends were in different cities and fed information to see who would pass it along to their friends instead of their families. I just don't remember the details on that one too well, and I don't want to muck it up.

I very much look forward to seeing what others have on this topic though, and expect it to be a great conversation.
Report Post Tip

Ah Henri, I know there was a crewleader of mine that did something similiar for I think my Consig promotion. I could be wrong about whether it was Consig or Made Man, but I remember that CL that did something similiar to me, CrazyNine. That was many many years ago.

I don't remember exactly the scenario though.

I do know I wasn't angry afterwards with them. However, now I might be. The situations of that time and this one are a little different personally. I couldn't actually say unless it happened though, as with anything else. It depends on so many factors.

Report Post Tip

I personally believe a persons actions and personality often seep through into their characters which can be judged by their attitude on IRC and how they act towards people they feel are beneath them.

One tactic used by an old CL was giving certain power and responsibilities to a member and seeing how others would react be it in jealousy, sucking up etc and also to estimate how that person responded to being regarded as a major player now and how his actions towards those under his power changed from when he first came.

I have always kept my own personality and that of my character's as separate as possible but that's just because i like to RP and i mean i like basing my actions of the personality and character of the guy portraying so while one character might be a loyal mobster willing to die for his CL another might be a reckless merc who's in it for the money however when i'm out of character that's when i let my true personality come through for example in crew chat and IRC.

As most people know i am completely different ingame and in the streets compared to OOC  

Report Post Tip

I am a very new player in MR and am still learning many things about the game and the characters in it. Being new I have explicit trust in the person who recruited me. I have known her for a long time and have a very good opinion of her character. She has recommended me to my family. I therefore begin with a positive opinion of the family and its leader. 

Each interaction I have with other players gives me some idea of that persons character. I am slowly growing to know what to expect from the other players I deal with; including my crew leader (coughs). I expect to be watched and judged. As I watch and judge those about me. My opinion is very positive about where I have landed.

The Crew Leader holds the lives of the crew, the family, in their hands. The crew will feel content and safe if the observed actions of the leader appear wise and well considered.  Loyalty then develops naturally over time.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Canary Trap
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL