Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 18 - 05:02:48
Page:  1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Something has to change. Started by: VicarDave on Oct 21, '15 11:28

I'm not one to get bitter about dying the reaper comes for us all in the end but something has to be done about attack/defense because i actually want to put up a fight and have a mob war like back in the old days when someone wants me gone now it's just take out a while city thats obscenely well protected in a matter of seconds and while that's not a major issue the fact is this is a roleplaying game and some limit or some attention to roleplay must be acknowledged.

There is no way on earth or heaven an entire city can be taken out in such a short period of time without them being aware isn't there anything we can do to balance this out? where is the strategy? where is the guile? now it's just a case of who shoots first meaning anyone with a hair trigger wins.

I'm not salty i'll still play on after this but i'm just asking that we do something to revert back to when mob wars (mafia returns wars) were won and lost by a big fight a crew that size should of lasted at least 2 days.

Report Post Tip

It wasn't a war, it was a takedown.

These have been around for a long time.

Report Post Tip

what this game needs before it completely dies out is to increase the backfire rate considerably. people spend a lot of money and some cases real money to get their HQ built and there bg's up. but whats the point when its so easy for you be killed anyway. there to be a lot more risks to taking out cities. If this is meant to be a role-playing game based on the mafia world its trying to be as real as it was in the mafia days. If two mafia family's went to war both sides always have casualties. but here if you strike 1st you get no casualties at all pretty much, and that's just not in the spirit of what the mafia world is like.

Ive only played this game for a year but ive noticed that with every wipe (of which most are stupid) the game loses more and more of its population and given a bit more time the game could end up being a ghost town. at least 40-50% of the population has gone since I started.

Report Post Tip
I must beg to differ, it isn't easy to remove a city. It takes time to build a gun capable of removing a real IWP person. You can't just play for a few days and then turn the world on its head. The attackers put in legit work to get where they are. Building your defend is much easier and much shorter in time than building a cannon.

As to people leaving the game, I don't really agree there either. People take breaks and return. Some pick it right back up, while others need some time to deal with it. People who quit and never return are the minority.
Report Post Tip
CactusJack, I disagree on the effort required in building a gun. Highly active players can build quickly in just a matter of days and can achieve high ranks as well in a very short time. I agree that takedowns are too quick and completely unbelievable from an RP standpoint. While a surprise here or there is expected, complete removal of a city in a few hours is a stretch of the imagination.
Report Post Tip

Even if you'd get 24 kills a day (which I would find pretty damn impressive) you'd still be looking at more than a month's work before you can take out a IWP Godfather. It's not like you can kill everyone and everything in a week's time and effort. 

Report Post Tip

Squishy tracks all the user data in terms of population size etc, but from a layperson's point of view, we seem to have hovered around the 700-800 mark in terms of users for awhile and we're on 716 at the time of writing with a whole host of people not realising they've died. I therefore don't agree that 40-50% of the population has left in the past year. 

On to the whole difficulty issue, currently (the past year-18 months say) I think it is better than it has been in a long time. There are still only a handful of people who can kill a fully trained Godfather and all of those people have racked up (at least) hundreds of hours playing in order to be able to do so. That seems more than fair to me.

Report Post Tip

Some things never change get used to it kid

Report Post Tip
LaPagila, while you say it's easy to train a cannon so disagree can you remember how easy it is for people with money to train defence?

Buy credits>sell credits>buy bodyguards>train bodyguards.

That's it. 0 skill required. To train a cannon in a month or two would require being here most Durdens spawns, racing RIAS, taking contracts and lots of locals searching.

Which do you see as harder?
Report Post Tip
It's no contest clay, far much more work goes into gun training and requires very high activity to train it quickly.

I do still agree with the sentiment however that a more balanced approach would be fun where war or take downs are concerned. Game suggestions is there for anyone to put forth relevant ideas that they feel can benefit all users.
Report Post Tip
I believe it is easy to train a gun for some of the very reasons you listed. For example people can easily purchase MIAs and pay to spawn Durdens. The only difficult thing is investment of time. Defense is easier, yes, because the time element is not a factor, just money, which in my opinion has little to no value when one can have $20 million in the first day of a character should they choose to buy their way to in-game wealth.
Report Post Tip
Exactly. You have hit the nail on the head (three times).

The investment of time to build a cannon is monumental. It takes so much time and effort. Building your defence does not. Unless you do so with game cash only. Then kudos.

You do not believe being able to remove a City in a few hours is viable? Agreed. So perhaps we have say 4 hours training at the range. This makes us proficient with our weapon of choice. Then we remove all but 6 bodyguards and your HQ isn't Fort Knox but a restaurant open to all.

Now it's like real life. It would be absolutely wank. Game play would be ridiculous.

As it stands people who spend weeks killing many hundreds of targets can kill the most protected people. The most protected people cannot be touch by 9 out of 10 people.

I cannot see what is unfair in this equation?

Time spent training = kills = good gun. How it should be. Surely?
Report Post Tip
Yeah, the multi-post pissed me off, but mobile connection went wonky for a second there for a bit.

I don't know if it's a fairness issue as much as it is realism, at least in my opinion. If you're the head of a family with decent defenses and you have three other families of similar size in the city, the strongest guns in the world shouldn't be able to walk in and take out the top echelon of every family in just a few hours. sure, even in real life you had a periodic surprise takedown, but it's pretty much a regular occurrence here. A month today is nothing with how quick you can rank and train, so the speed in which a person can become that "unstoppable" just seems ludicrous.
Report Post Tip

"Building your defence does not. Unless you do so with game cash only. Then kudos."

I just want to note briefly that, often times, BGs are not purchased by one person alone. They often have entire crews funding this investment, which distributes the cost. There is no way to distribute the time and effort (credits though, yes) to build a cannon. Additionally, once the investment of time, effort, and money is made to get a gun and BGs, there's effectively no necessary maintenance. Sure, there's BG upkeep, but you can offset that with a single decent earner. You can knock out CL after CL after CL without any additional "work" to make it possible.

I think the game could be exciting and fun even with lots of BGs and enormous cannons. But we have to have the perspective that the fun is in playing the game, not just surviving. So I do think something needs to change. We need to change. The game isn't unfun because it takes a lot of work to destroy someone else who put in a lot of work. Look at Eve Online (don't mean to advertise, just giving an example); I can't roll around on my free trial and pew pew titans (the most massive ship in the game). It could take YEARS to get there.

But people still play it (and pay to play it) because there's features and players in it that make it intuitive, fun, and exciting even if you don't get to that point. We need to stop blaming the game code for not letting us do what we want, and start evaluating what we want. If you only enjoy this game when you're toppling regimes or massacring your enemies, you are going to be dissatisfied indefinitely. Because those decisions are made by a fraction of the userbase and the majority of that fraction is usually the regime you want to topple.

Trust me; no amount of reasoning, whining, or arguing will change this aspect of the game. So it's time to start playing the game to have fun instead of just surviving. Who knows, you may end up actually enjoying it here.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Those who think it is not easy to train a gun these days were not around when big durden spawns were rare and couldn't be bought .. When the spawns for GF were only the size of a regular durden spawn plus a few (150). Building a gun capable of killing a Godfather would take 4-6 months. At one point you could have 240 Bodyguards. Wackbacks have been revised to benefit the gunners. Now they can sit back and safely shoot targets 95% of the time without a threat. This feature alone being modified was the worst change in this game .. and all because the cool kids complained about dying from wackbacks.

When you compare today to then building a gun is easy. In fact, it is way too easy. Having to shoot bodyguards in order to take someone out is a thing of the past. Bodyguards are only for building your guns even further afterwards now.

The concept that made this a great strategy game has been completely removed. The reason I even post in suggestions is because so many of them are suggested that would create an even further imbalance in what has already become heavily weighted in favor of those with credit cards or ideas that benefit the IRC junkies.

Report Post Tip

Damn, Mercury.

You're talented as fuck.

Must explain why you're at the to... oh.

Report Post Tip

Thank you for noticing. I really am talented. I lead where there are tens of thousands of players. 10 international servers. Thousands of alliances. Where you better be a damn good diplomat or you're fucked. 

I would rather be what I am and where I am

than you and where you are

any day :)

Report Post Tip

Sorry, but I went to community college and have a best friend named Eric. 

He's a really great guy, remembered my birthday and bought me a cake this year.

Glad to see all of those diplomatic skills have really transitioned well here, you're a regular Richard Nixon.

Report Post Tip

Clay with all due respect and taking into account everything you said i can't disagree more.

There is no such thing as taking out the most important people in a mafia family, because more often then not everyone above the rank of made is killed within an hour of a "war" starting.

Now i don't disagree that training a gun takes time etc nobody is saying that what we mean is i don't care how good your gun skill is nobody should be able to single handedly kill someone inside an insanely well protected HQ and over 200 BG's plus their actual members protecting them.

I agree there's more skill to learn to shoot then to protect but that's common knowledge there's no way to train yourself to survive someone trying to kill you if it's real life or mafia returns if someone wants to kill you there's no way to train your skill for that if i wanted to become a master marksman i go to a shooting range and learn whereas protection is something you just have to buy and that's how it is so i am confused about this whole wack vs defence debate.

I'm guessing you haven't been around as long as i have no disrespect intended but there was a time when we had hitsquads and would send them to lower BG's so our best hitter could take the shot we still trained and we trained hard to raise our skill but there's comes a point when we have to have a limit it's just too damn easy now.

And wars used to last days some even weeks back then and before you say that's no fun it's war it's not meant to be fun and a leader navigating his family through a war was trait that was the difference between a good cl and a poser back then people wouldn't just take down an entire district by themselves based on heresay because it would of been costly they had to way out the cons and pro's of if they wanted a war or not and if it was worth it because should they win they would leave themselves open to attack from an opportunistic family which added a level of strategy that is no longer required. 

I'm not saying bring back the old days and have massive wars again because i know people would hate it but at least like the 07-09 period where you had to take out their BG's and slowly crippled their structure.

I can't be the only one who used to love planning out the perfect attack and the skill and strategy involved that's why i always wanted to be a CL or RHM to be part of the war council and make decisions like that and have plotting and endurance.

I'm not salty or anything when i die i die i start again i've done it for 10 years i'll do it for another 10 i just feel it could add to the atmosphere and add that level of strategy and leadership that we now lack.

I know alot of you who never experienced this are unsure but trust me back then it was so amazing and the only people missing out really are yourselves there was a reason that was the golden age because back then things were as close to perfect as could be and it was fun and challenging at the same time.

I think we get to invested in our positions here sometimes that we forget this is a game and we should be challenging ourselves rather then taking the easy path.

Either way i get the feelings things won't change so i'll say no more on this subject because i'm not here to argue any further i just had to get that off my chest so now i've done that i'll carry on playing the way i always do and i'll just have to learn that for better or for worse things have changed and there's no turning round so it's either adapt or perish and i'd rather not perish it's evolution and although i just said what i said i am more then happy to evolve and play by the new era philosophy.

- Wonkesh Knightsbane

Report Post Tip

says the super hero in the mafia world. lmao. I was asked to take it easy on you but you make it soooo easy.

civillians here dont need diplomatic skills knucklehead. not if they aren't staying.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Something has to change.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL