Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 15:35:45
Page:  1 
A Growing Concern Started by: Cato on Oct 24, '15 19:32

As I peruse the suggestions forum, I can't help but think we're stuck. We're treading water. We've lost the concept of solving problems and pursuing goals ourselves, and so we present our ideas in the form of suggestions to get Izzy's approval.

The suggestions I see that trigger this thought are rooted in players who want the game to change (improve, for the most part), but the only avenue they see for improvement is through a change in code. Queenie has suggested providing content controls on the Business District to make it easier to crack down on shitty posts. But the truth is, that could be accomplished simply by putting something in the city rules and asking the other cities to respect their decision to bring up the quality of BD posts. No change in code is needed. But rather than have to go through the process of getting other CLs on board and resolving these issues as players, they want Izzy to code in a feature to make it easier and less frictional.

This was reinforced today with Ronin's suggestion of increasing the districts and limiting them to a single crew. Now, Ronin himself can't open up new districts (and in that regard, that suggestion should be discussed on its merits), but he is entirely capable of bringing about a one-crew-per-district rule. Maybe not by force, but he can ask around and see if he can get the support of other CLs in order to get that idea rolling. If he has the support of the CLs, then he's successful without the code change. If he has no support from the CLs, then how can we implement a change that is directly in opposition to our leadership?

The common theme I'm seeing is that players have objectives; things they want to happen to improve the game. AND THOSE ARE AWESOME. I want to see better BD posts. I want to see fewer crews per district. Well, I don't actually care about that one, but I like that players still want things outside of money, power, and friendship. Yet, it seems like we've grown so accustomed to avoiding conflict and friction at all costs that we'd rather convince Izzy to code something in and make him the source of the conflict rather than try and make our changes ourselves. Now, there are suggestions that cannot come to fruition on their own, like a back alley edit feature or being able to spawn Durdens in a single city. And in those matters, they should be discussed thoroughly and decided on as a community.

But I just want to hear the thoughts of the players on this. It's clear that we have players with goals and interests outside of just ranking and shooting, but we've gotten to a point where those ambitious players (even those in high-ranking positions) feel the only way of bringing those goals to reality is through the suggestions forum. Isn't that a problem? Shouldn't leaders be able to make the changes they want to see? And if not, what's standing in their way?

Report Post Tip

I agree to an extent with what you are saying. I too would much prefer users to resolve such situations. But that becomes dependent on the current leadership as you said. What happens when they die and standards drop and the people that wanted to improve things are no longer in a position to effect change?

What if someone currently wants a change like this to improve the game, but isn't in a position to effect change. Its easy to point to Queenie and say she could be the change that she wants, but I feel when looking at Suggestions it should be looked at as an OOC side of the game and your own personal current position becomes somewhat irrelevant. When I give my opinion on suggestions, its not an opinion I feel my character would have, its an opinion that I as a user feel is best for the world of Mafia Returns. So how then does my own person position come into it?

As I said though, I would still much prefer users to be taking matters into their own hands and using their own means to change things, but i'm realistic to know that such personal changes are never long term.

A character of mine was among a group of people that decided to force change in the game by stopping the members using NPCs that earned you money, this brought us CAs in replace of them as it meant Squishy had to react to the change. So users changing things doesn't always mean that the admin doesn't still have work on their hands.

Report Post Tip

When they die, the next set of leaders get to decide what's important. Maybe they don't think the BD should be high-quality. Maybe they do. Maybe they demand rainbows in every profile picture. The point is that the leaders who were in charge made the differences that they wanted to make while they could. I find it a bit absurd to say "We aren't going to improve things because when we die the next group of leaders might not pick up where we left off." There will always be a next group of leaders. The question is whether or not you're going to do something while you can.

I don't think players maintain such an avid separation between OOC and IC that they can't act on things they want improved in the game. That doesn't really make any sense to me. What's the use of making the suggestion if your character is actively opposed to it? And if your character isn't opposed to it, why can't you make the changes in-character instead? In my opinion, that's not a real argument.

As for how the admins will respond, I'll give you that. A lot of changes in the past have been due to interactions between leadership and the game's administrators. However, the examples I've provided, I don't think, are things Izzy would protest. Better BDs? He's down for that. More intuitive use of the districts feature? I don't see a reason why he'd fight it.

The fear that there may be a time in the future where what you propose isn't widely accepted and implemented (either by players, admins, or leadership) seems like a cowardly reason to not pursue it. If it's important to you, do it.

Report Post Tip

We sure are and this further aids the problem. Why would a GF respond to a street thug unless that street thug hiit a nerve with the truth?

To: HailBatiatus
Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:49
Subject:

holds her belly cause all the laughing causes her belly aches.
Have a good day ;)
clicks on ignore

To: Senza
Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:48
Subject:

The foll is not laughing. You see senza, you cannot see past your nose. You pick what you think are the right hands and you get fucked each time.  Who is laughing now?

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:46
Subject:

ROFL SRSLY im laughing so fucking hard

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:42
Subject:

I would bank you do not know the meaning of cartel unless you googled it up idiot. See ya soon sugar or should I say again idiot. And I will not be seeing you but I will be at your funeral taking a piss  <3

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:37
Subject:

ROFL get lost

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:36
Subject:

Another fucking idiot you are................

Report Post Tip

you forgot to add this ;)

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:54

Subject:

And that is? not replying on some frustrated little boy?

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:51

Subject:

I think the city should see your mentality as GF. Good idea!

Report Post Tip

If I was a GF I would not have answered you. I would have my RH take care of you. Period. You are a tru idiot engaging me in mail.

Report Post Tip

Thus why you will die again sugar!

Report Post Tip

Oh yea and what about this you'd send me? Ofcourse this requires an intelligent reply.

Sent: Oct 25, '15 09:37

Subject:

How many times has the rank whore been here? You are the lesser of all. How long do you think you got?

Report Post Tip

If I was you I would just take my frustrations somewhere else. Again, have a good day!

Report Post Tip

Thank you for displaying your true abilities. BTW anyone can build a cannon, and more then likely can teach you how.

Report Post Tip
Not really sure what you think this achieved Batiatus. I don't know Senza, but I can tell you now she doesn't look like an idiot.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: A Growing Concern
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL