Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 26 - 12:20:27
Page:  1 
Down the Rabbit Hole Started by: Mimzy on Jan 20, '16 01:42

Mimzy stood in the empty house, shattered crystal and pieces of her mother's china all over the floor.  The door was still off the hinges, splintered wood splayed out in an arc that eventually fell away into jagged stilettos. She sighed.  It was late afternoon and the sun was cold, already settling low on the horizon.  She shivered and reached to pull her coat tighter then frowned.  Her coat had been used to cover her brother's body.  Her footsteps sounded hollow and loud as she inched her way through the debris of her former life.  Everywhere she looked there was another reminder of what had happened only two days previous, even though for her it seemed to have happened so very long ago. 

It wasn't until she came to the doorway of the dining room that she began to tremble.  Chairs were still upended, the table knocked askew. Dark stains had seeped into the floor, spatters of food and blood arced up and against the wall like a crude attempt at art.  She felt her legs grow weak and steadied herself in the doorway, her hand coming to rest on a nail. 

"Jesus Christ."  She wasn't sure if it was an imprecation or prayer.  "Why them?"  

She closed her eyes and against her will they filled with tears, the images of the previous two days playing across them like a silent film, except in this case there was sound.  She had been lying in bed, a cool cloth over her face, head pounding in time with her heart when she heard banging on the front door.  It was dinner time, her father was home early from work at the bank, her brother just barely back from the war in Europe.  Her mother's voice had floated above the din and Mimzy pulled the covers over her head until her heard her mother scream. 

"Get back Elenore!"  Her father shouted and that's when Mimzy had heard the gun.  Or guns.  Terrified, she had rolled out of bed and run to her closet, pulling her dresses around her in an attempt to hide.  The explosions of gunfire seemed to last for an eternity, her ears ached from the sound.  When the shooting stopped the sound didn't.  She heard heavy footfalls thunder over the wooden floor and halfway up the stairs before a muffled voice spoke. 

"Don't.  We got what we came for."  Mimzy held her breath as the footsteps receded.  She must have stopped breathing for a bit too long for when she came back to her own mind there were other voices and the world was dark.  Eventually the police found her hidden among her frocks and coxed her out of the closet.  And now here she was.  

She opened her eyes and took a gulp of cold air. After regaining her bearings she went upstairs and went through each room, taking things as she pleased.  From her parent's room she took her father's fine gold pocket watch and her mother's diamond scarf pin, a gift from her own mother on the occasion of her wedding.  From her brother's room she took his favorite hat, a new felt fedora he'd been given when he came back from Germany and from her own room she took nothing but her diary and a fountain pen.  Her silly dresses and precious dolls could rot for all the good they'd done her.  Her fingers strayed over the course mohair of her teddy bear but even he stayed where she'd left him, his unfeeling button eyes fixed upon a spot on the ceiling. 

She left her house and stepped into the dark winter evening, buttoning the fine wool coat she had taken from the back of her brother's door. She had no other plans than to survive the night, and from there she had no earthly idea where she'd end up or who'd she become. 

"It's down the rabbit hole with me. Where I'll stop only God knows." 

Report Post Tip

Johnny was busy the past days. A war went down and he was there for his people. He hated to see anyone taking a bullet, but if something must be done, it is done. After so many killings, the next of kins of the deceased were filling the city, other to take care of the funerals and others just wandering because they had nothing else left in the world.

The evening was coming fast. Johnny was out for coffee with Raymont_Reddington as he used to.
"You know Ray.. I've been searching for associates lately. They all seem eager at first, but then they go and do something stupid like trying to kill an officer", Johnny says and sighs. "I know.. It seems like the world is taking a downhill", Raymont responded.
"That's it.. New rule. I will only hire females from now on. It's not only because I am very fond of the so called weaker sex.. But because that women tend to be more loyal when you treat them right. And as my experience has showed, they are definitely not the weaker sex", Johnny said and took a sip from his coffee.

"Time to call it a day?", Raymont said after a while. "Yeah dude.. I could use some rest", Johnny replied.
They exchanged a warm handshake and something of an awkward hug.

Johnny was walking down the road, on his way to his place. It seemed like that he could not take not even the slightest of trouble.
However, he was to have a great surprise. Almost outside his place, he sees a girl, nearly a woman against the wall and it seemed as If she was crying. He got closer.

"Hello.. Are you ok?", Johnny said in an attempt to comfort the young lady.
"I'm fine!", she yelled.
"Well.. It's pretty obvious you're not", Johnny said while the girl turned her face towards him.
"So.. Who cares?", she said while wiping away her tears.
"Jesus.. You're Elenore's daughter, aren't you?", Johnny said while realizing who the girl in front of him was.
"Yes.. Late Elenore's daughter that is. Mimzy.", Mimzy said while recovering her strength.
"Yes.. Mimzy.. I had chatted with your mother 2-3 times at the baker back in the day, I must've seen you with her for sure. 
You were a lot younger back then though. Please come inside for a coffee. Things must've been tough for you
", Johnny said and opened the door to his building.

Mimzy did not contemplate too much before entering Johnny's house. She did not care if she was reckless or not. She had nothing to lose..

Report Post Tip

Mimzy stepped inside the stranger's apartment, wiping a tear from her eye.  She needed to be strong if she was going to survive long in this world and even though her knees were shaking she tried to stand tall and put a dignified look on her face.  She wondered how this man she didn't even know knew her mother.  Was it just weekly meetings at the baker?  She knitted her eyebrows as she sat down on the chair the gentleman had motioned to. 

"I'll get the coffee ready." He said as he headed to what she assumed would be his kitchen.  In a few minutes he came out with a tray bearing mismatched mugs full of steaming brew.  He set the tray down on the small table in front of the couch and offered her cream and sugar.  She took both, putting two cubes into her mug. After a few moments of silence she finally took a sip, then looked up at her host.  

"So, tell me mister.  Who are you and how did you know my mother?" 

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Down the Rabbit Hole
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL