Get Timers Now!
X

Mar 29 - 08:11:19
Page:  1 
100% Roleplay Started by: ChristianGato on Apr 28, '16 20:22

The reason I'm motivated to stick around these streets is for the stories. The potential legacy that can be built that speaks more than just the number of kills a persons gun has, or the length of time they have survived. Every character I've every ran has a story, something that has been thought out and constructed, and they all link in to each other, even a vague mention. It means I never hide my bloodline, you've just got to ask the right questions to find out about my past, and know who they were. Whenever I lose my motivation, I watch a film. Goodfellas, Godfather, etc. Or play a mafia game on console. It sparks my desire to build my own story, my own legendary characters that have a chance of being remembered by those he/she interacts with.

I recently played out a character who was 100% Roleplay, and to be honest it was amazing, frustrating, exciting, lonely... it was an experience I'll never forget. I met people I've never spoken to before, that I have huge respect for now, simply because of how they enhanced my experience. I wanted to share this experience to inspire others to see what you can get from this game. 

100% Roleplay means more than just staying in character. I'll bullet point them so it's clearer.

• Not contacting with people you know/telling them you have a character in game
  • No IRC
  • No crew chat
  • No forum posting (OOC mainly, but I went for none at all to keep an air of mystery about the character)
  • Limiting all contact to people you come into contact with directly
  • Maintaining a "face value" approach to interactions

That last one I'd like to explain more. I see people interacting in a variety of ways in their RP posts, a common one is to describe their emotions or intentions through the descriptive actions of their character, rather than the words spoken. To maintain the level of depth I wanted to offer to my character, I had to keep all my actions as actions. For example:

She watched the room with keen interest, trying to assess the situation. It was late and she needed to locate her mark. As time passed, it became clear that they were not coming.

Becomes

He remained silent, eyes darting back and forth. He remained motionless.

I mentioned previously it gets lonely, lonely in the sense that you've only got the character you've created, the ties you've built to motivate you. There's no IRC chatter or friendly banter to spur you on. It's not completely plain sailing either, without suppressing your experience in playing the game, you're going to attract the wrong attention. Especially in this day and age where potential rogues are expected to crawl out from a rock every 3-4 months. I always knew I couldn't maintain a character that deep in incog for that reason, without the story ending abruptly or putting those who have taken me in at risk. In the end I wanted to control how the story ended.

To maintain the experience, I let the character die without immediately following up contact with the people that the character interacted with, too. 

So, that's how I found 100% roleplaying, playing the game as close to the bones of it as possible. Hopefully others will try it, but feel free to chatter about it to me. 

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip
I'd rather if this game was pure storytelling rather than 95% clicking.
Report Post Tip

"Playing a character 100% roleplay" has nothing to do with irc and private messages. 100% Roleplay for mafiareturns means 1930s setting gangster trying to make it 'somewhere'. This excludes 99% of the playerbase and im sure your last character as well.

To achieve 100% roleplay your character appearances in the streets must be kept in the 1930s setting and follow an authentic presentation of his family background and interaction with characters from other family backgrounds. Nothing else matters.

If there is no cosa nostra around you can't act like you are part of that. The misuse of 'our thing' is immense.

I will try to keep it very simple for you all. In the 1930s organized crime in the USA was mainly italian based. Small crews of gangsters existed as well but at the time could not and would not be considered organized crime. So everyone who gets past Made Man on here and proceeds to do 'Organized Crimes' in the profit menu pretty much falls out of the equation of 100% roleplay already. None of the current leadership is italian/sicilian based or can be considered that as their characters fail to provide an authentic presentation of italian/sicilian family background in the streets forum. Public speeches in most cases go against omerta. To go around that issue it is advisable to just make the character think about the events that unfolded or just address a gathering of family/crew members. That way you stay authentic.

Report Post Tip
When you explain that you like to keep your actions as actions, do you still like to set the scene for your character still? I ask because your example seems to have only cut out the little scenery that was in your actions. The first one had a basic description of where your character was and what he was doing, the change only depicts an action so it could be anywhere. Such as in a room, outside in an alley or the middle of a field.
I'll admit I don't recall seeing much of your work so that is why I ask. Personally I like the more descriptive content because I want to know exactly what vision the writer has and interpret their words as little as possible in order to see what they are envisioning as best as I can. Either way I hope you don't take it as I think you are wrong or anything like that, I'm truly interested in the way you like to write and if it is the case you don't like to set the scene so much for your character I'm interested in your reasoning why.
Report Post Tip
Descriptive writing is great for setting a scene and immersing someone in your world, in a big fan too however keep it separate from what I was trying to achieve this time around.

There's no reason why I would describe the scene, just not how it made me feel, or how it might make you feel. I would present you with the facts and let you decide how to interpret them.

Tick I don't need a lecture on 1930s mafia, being as you're not at all familiar with the character I'm talking about I don't really care much to address your comments, but thanks anyway and RIP.
Report Post Tip
*wouldn't describe the scene, excuse my auto correct.
Report Post Tip
my life partner and I always role play. I'm always his catcher, he's always pitching
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip
Thank you for clarifying and I can understand why you do that now. It does make a lot of sense and I like the different approach. Having the reader have that freedom is great and it kind of reminds me of times I have watched a movie based on a book and then later read the book. The imagery when reading the book is all based on the visuals I had seen in the book, same with the characters. I would always picture them instead of creating my own.
Report Post Tip
  • No IRC
  • No crew chat

That sounds incredibly boring so congrats on being able to do something like that. If it weren't for IRC and outside connections, I'm not sure I'd continue to play this game.  

Report Post Tip
It's much easier to remain in character when you remove any temptation or opportunity to just fall back into your own behaviors. But yes, it makes it very difficult to remain motivated.
Report Post Tip
I can see that. I remember one of the times I was incog, I may as well have gone 100% role play because I didn't even tell my good friends here who I was nor did I spend time on irc(ip address marching and whatnot).
Report Post Tip

Bumping this topic a little but I think it is a really good discussion topic. I would really enjoy if the game became more RP-orientated. That you could have some kind of "live chat" going on for those online, that would be all RP. And if you would RP a lot, (really valued chat/online RP lines) you could get a little experience. Either way, I think that this is something the developers should look at. I think that it is great that they boosted the XP for posting though. More RP activity is needed, so that's great.

Report Post Tip
I wish the game was based completely around rp rather than clicking jails and all that good shtuff, it makes the game exciting and you can do whatever you want with it as it is RP
Report Post Tip
Roleplaying is cool but I don't ever see MR being 100 percent not for nothin it kind of trips me out seeing people rp on here with some of the craziest usernames I'm not knocking anybody though. But I do think it'd be cool if the admins had like roleplay events that effected the game like the fbn cracking down on narcotics which would in turn effect drug prices in certain cities for a certain amount of time or a crackdown on corruption and maybe more NPC involvement than just spawning Tyler Durden something like that but that's just my opinion tho.
Report Post Tip

This topic is really interesting and also, right in the nick of time. I've been thinking about the roleplaying aspect of this game. In real life, I'm a big Mafia history fan - right from the Black Hand down to the Gambinos. To be able to roleplay while having the "Mafia essence" of the game is a total bliss for me. I think of the 100% roleplay as a clear challenge. For now, I am trying hard to maintain at least 50% roleplay, but I'll try aiming for this 100% rate. Though no IRC and crew chat can be challenging indeed. 

Another thing about the roleplay aspect of "this world of ours" is Spontaneous Variety. All characters are deep, complex, and have even unique stories to tell. I remember when I started I saw weirdly-named characters, like a man of respect named Balls. Even though I've never talked to him personally, I imagined how he can roleplay in the streets. Why is he called Balls? Does he have big mafioso, respect-worthy balls indeed? What is te story of his life? Something like those. By entering that mindset, I get to enjoy the game more. Even though my characters always end up sleeping with the fishes haha. There are many, many things to roleplay about in this game! Our world is really flowing with interesting content to tinker with.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: 100% Roleplay
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL