Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 19 - 11:02:46
Page:  1 
The Chicago South Side Blues Festival Started by: Skadi on Aug 27, '16 15:20

The South Side weekly meeting was in session.The room was full because no member had been missing that night by far, you  could feel the smell of tobacco coming from Kawir's cigar that was resting haphazardly on the edge of the ashtray that laid  in the center of the large oak table. Across the room GentlemanJackDiamond was absorbed in his thoughts , as Charles Fischeffi tried to write down the important points of the meeting.

With distant thoughts that night Skadi was sitting on Kawirs right side as it was usual, wearing her favorite Coco Channel white dress, she flipped through a newspaper when one of radio news stories caught her attention. "The big blues names will be in Chicago next August," recalling how her father used to take her to Louisiana only to enjoy listening to Louis Armstrong sing. Skadi lifted her head moving her long hair trying catch Kawirs attention. Kawir looked at her surprised as Skadi had already spoken that night however ,he gave consent for her to have the word.

Skadi stood up and walked smiling to the center of the room and said:

"I was flipping through the newspaper and one of the news stories  reminded me of how we used to offer great parties for our residents and visitors. I believe we should revive these events and to start I thought of inviting some of the great Blues names for a festival ending with a masquerade. Who agrees ? Please raise your hand  in consent. "

As would be expected almost everyone agreed. After this Kawir ended the meeting and Skadi decided to send invitations to other districts and nearby towns.

After a few days of preparations , the festival date had finally arrived. The program was rich with big names and Skadi was entertaining visitors wearing her fantasy Juliet from Shakespeare. Skadi strolled through the festival greeting those that had come out to enjoy the festivities.

Report Post Tip

Brigid's bare feet glided across the ground hidden by the navy blue gown she had worn, black lace lined the hemlines. Her hair was in several braids each with a feather and a couple of hand carved  beads attached at the ends with thin  leather thongs. As she approached the festival she distinctly heard Black Frank's harmonica riding on the air.  Frank Edwards was playing "We gotta get together", a nice jumpy beat. Her stride matched the beat of the music as she drew closer to the stage.  She stopped  just to the right of the stage near the back of the currently gathered crowd to enjoy the current artist on stage. A smile grew on her face as she started tapping her foot to the beat,  and swaying to the tempo of the music.

Report Post Tip

Rob saw happy faces all around and when people weren't dancing to the rhythmic blues, they chatted happily, sharing the latest gossip of Chicago. Having carefully slipped past the coppers at the entrance of the festival area, Rob now gently found his way through the crowd, looking for the hostess. That turned out to be an easy task, as the growing enthusiasm of the audience pushed Rob in the right direction, until he arrived close to the central stage where he found Skadi dancing. Immediately Rob understood why the crowd was so cheerful, as her dance moves reminded him more of the Brazilian Samba than the funky moves Blues begged for. However, her dance style gave of a positive vibe among the people, who started to shake of their reservations still existing at the start of the festival.

At the musical break, Rob, wearing a long overcoat, approached Skadi and when she saw him, Rob opened his coat in one swift motion, showing all the goods he had to offer. As can be expected of an expert bootlegger, Rob didn't come empty-handed. On the inside of his coat, Rob had a series of pockets weaved which held a diversity of liquors and spirits. Brown rum from the esteemed Bacardi Family in Cuba, Absolut Vodka from Sweden, Wild Turkey bourbon smuggled in from Kentucky and Tequila from below the southern borders of America. At the sight of all that, the first few government approved drinks were being emptied, making room for what the other side of the law had to offer.

"Hola Skadi, nice party you got going on here. Good job in organizing all this. I'm surprised you managed to book names like Eddie Boyd and Blind Blake. That's not bad at all, not bad at all! How about you help me pour some proper drinks for our friends here, so I can get rid of this damn coat. It's good for smuggling, but absolute hell for dancing!"

Report Post Tip

Skadi was dancing in a very animated fashion with her friends when she noticed the presence of RobOakheart. He was quite odd as his apparel clashed with the rest of the party's since he was wearing a long black coat and had a very furtive glance. Skadi had started to smile when suddenly Rob opened his suspicious coat revealing a rich variety of drinks in the inner pockets that were not common to parties of the region. After the initial shock, she said:

"Damn Rob, you really know how to choose the necessary drinks for a big party. Do you know if others will come from your district? I am hopeful that they will join us in this celebration."

She noticed that her friend only shook his head indicating that he had no idea regarding the other guests.

"Okay, let me help you with this so we can start the fun"

The two made their way to the side of the hall where there was a rich and enviable bar with gleaming waiters, wearing their black tuxedos. Depositing the drinks at a large table, Skadi began instructing the waiters regarding their distribution while Rob placed a glass of tequila in Skadi's hand since he knew his friend's tastes. She thanked him, and called him to join with her other friends and enjoy the party.

Report Post Tip

Across the room, Lea is struggling to make the bartender understand her order.

"Sangria. You know,  red wine, fruit...really? You've never heard of it??"

Pursing her lips, she leans forward and discreetly slips the bartender a twenty.

"May I?" she asks. The bartender gives a quick nod and steps aside as Lea steps behind the bar. Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, she goes to work, finding what she needs as she makes the recipe from memory. Red wine. Brandy. Sugar. Lastly, several handfuls of ice cubes and fresh fruit. Setting two glasses on the bar, she pours and offers one to the bartender. He looks around a bit anxiously.

"Oh come on. I've just expanded your repertoire. Try it, for Pete's sake. How can you recommend it if you don't know what it tastes like?"

With a small smile, he takes the glass and sips. A moment passes and he sips again. 

'Very good, Ma'am! Should be quite the hit tonight!"

Lea winks in reply and turns to face the room. She sees Don Skadi with a look of astonishment on her face as RobOakheart appears to be flashing her. 

Yep, this party was gonna be fun!

Report Post Tip

Chicago's South Side had always been a more relaxed area of the Second CIty.  The residence seemingly more open minded, and willing to let loose, to relax and of course, to party.  Skadi's plans to host a classic Blues festival was exactly what this area needed, an opportunity to forget about the daily stresses and obligations, to gather with friends and enjoy the music Chicago was famous for.

Walking through the crowd, the first familiar face is RobOakheart, and of course, that can mean only one thing, premium spirits.

"Mr. Oakheart!" Jack shouts loudly, extending his hand.  "Fantastic to see that you've made it tonight.  I see Skadi is already enjoying herself.  This really is a spectacular turn out."  Reaching into his coat pocket, Jack pulls out a hand rolled Cuban cigar and a tight roll of bills.  "The cigar is for you, the rest, is my contribution to your distribution business tonight.  Anyone looking for a drink shouldn't need to worry about the cost."  

Watching as Rob opens his coat, Jack can't help but wonder how he manages to walk around all day with an entire liquor store hanging from his shoulders.  "Let me help lighten that jacket for you, something about South Side and gritty Blues makes me want Bourbon."

Report Post Tip

Skadi was drinking her tequila and listening to a lady remembering her youth time when she noticed that Lea was a little nervous talking and trying to get something from the waiter. Skadi can not contain her curiosity and came to watch them. Apparently Lea wanted a specific drink, Sangria, by what she told, and they had found all the ingredients needed for that drink.

Lea smiled at Skadi after finalizing the preparation of that drink and handed a glass to her friend who cannot refuse to drink even when not knowing what it contained. Skadi, taking courage, slowly drank and commented on how good was that drink when she noticed GentlemanJackdiamond talking with RobOakheart. She apologized to Lea while she walking over to them.

Skadi gave her arm to both of them, not missing the opportunity to admire how they were distinctively dressed in their suits and after a few seconds of hesitation, she pulled them over to the track where the most part of the guests were having fun and said:

"Time to up on the party boys, and I will not accept a 'I don't know to dance from you two.'"

After saying this, she signaled for the band to start playing more vibrant music from Jim Jackson, and called Kawir and Sirion to join the group since both were probably talking about business issues rather enjoying the evening.

Report Post Tip

Slowly draining her glass, Lea scans the room and sees several familiar faces belonging to Chicago's upper structure. Not much business being discussed here tonight though; it had been a brutally hot summer and folks just wanted to cool off and relax.

As she watches the now-adept bartender expertly mix another sangria, she nods approvingly and tips him another twenty. But as she lifts the glass, her hand begins to shake and the ice cubes inside the glass start to rattle. Setting the drink back on the counter, she studies her pinky finger. It had been attached and re-attached several times now and the permanent nerve damage had set in. 

Bad news for a shooter.

Frustrated at her self-pity, she picks up he drink again and quickly knocks it back while scouting the room once more. She knew HooLZ wouldn't make it, he hated social events, so that left her out on her own most of the time. 

Ah, well. She knew how to circulate and make chit chat. Who knows, maybe the life of the party hadn't even arrived yet? In the meantime, she made her way over to Rob, who wasn't actually flashing people (damn!) but was sporting a sizeable liquor cabinet beneath his coat. 

Gah, how does he wear that thing in this heat?

Report Post Tip

After the messenger boy had recited the message his boss Don Skadi had left for K_W he pondered. He was still engrossed in the dossiers of the South Side business district, being a new LH to Don Skadi was a hard task and he had a lot to catch up. But he could of course not declined a direct but friendly request to join her in the blues festival she planned to take place that night in the South Side. Arching his aching back K_W drained the last bit of his whiskey he had poured into a glass and he went to dress up before hailing a taxi to bring him to the venue.

As the taxi pulled up he saw quite a row of people waiting, some familiar faces he met already some less familiar. He was happy he had given the VIP password it was cold and windy outside, not the type of weather one would like to wait in for a too long time. 

He walked up along the line, receiving some angry but at the same time jealous looks and he was allowed entrance by the big looking duo of bouncers. One could never be too careful he thought to himself. As he entered the venue, he gave his overcoat to the waiting servant and made his way in, flashingly bright in his full white suit.

Scanning around he sees his boss, being rather interested in a man with a long black coat, from the back he cannot recognize the man but he had a guess about his identity. As he walks closer he also sees his good friend @gentlemenjackdiamond has joined the party, he decides to move that the group to say hello.

Hey there folks,

I see you had a nice start of the night so far, i'm sorry for being late, but the boss lady has me whipped already!! Hey GJD fancy to see you here, how have you been? I remember my father had left some very nice words about your father in his journals, they seemed to be very close to one another!!

Report Post Tip

Skadi stopped talking to GentlemanJackDiamond and RobOakheart when she realized that her new LHM K_W had approached the group. She gave a little space for him to join them and as she arranged some strands of hair that had escaped from the hair bun, she said:

"Good evening K_W, I'm glad you could come to honor us in this party. How are you getting used to the family still? Let me introduce you. This is RobOakheart, he works directly with our great DoctorBoom and he sure knows how to get a great drink to liven up any party. And this as you have said is GentlemanJackDiamond. He has helped our South Side District to shine. Now, I'll let you guys talk because I need to check where Brigid is.

Looking back of the hall, Skadi noticed that her friend was not there, and she started to get worried when she remembered how she liked to watch the stars. Smiling, Skadi excused herself from the guests, and headed to the balcony in time to see Brigid, rotating her drink and looking nervously at Telkin. Overcome with curiosity, Skadi leaned against the wall trying to figure out where these two could have known each other from when she remembered that they were both in their bakery together a few days ago.

Returning to reality, Skadi decided not to disturb Brigid and Telkin, and returned to be with Rob, Jack and K_W who were starting to get really silly because they had many drinks. Smiling inwardly, she thought, "This party promises to be even excited."

Report Post Tip

As K_W was greeted by Skadi he smiled, she was absolutely in her element, her eyes sparkling with amusement when she saw his hesitation to shake the hand of Roboakheart. As he tried to fight his nerves, he smiled and shook the hand of @Gentlemenjackdiamond feeling a bit more confident

Hi all,

Glad to meet you mr Rob, i have heard about you and have been a big fan of your interviews with the godfathers of our world, i would like to recommend you on your achievements and the high quality of the interviews. I hope to read more of them in the near future.

As the man smiles he offers K_W a drink from his coat's assortment, smiling K_W points towards the single malt Irish whiskey, knowing the brand from his times in the country. As he gets his drink he sees Skadi drifting off looking for some person he had not met he decided to stick around with these men and listen in to their conversation hoping to catch the latest news of the town, he had been off on business often to the East coast recently

Report Post Tip

It was without a doubt an eventful night for South Side. The air was filled with tobacco smoke and perky blue notes while people were dancing and fooling around, always following the music rhythm. Kawir was amazed when he noticed how uncommonly crowded the place was and the fact that some of Chicago's elite was present at that time.

Kawir was now waiting outside the event's venue with a fair number of bodyguards keeping a close watch on all of the action. He was having a talk with two officers who heard a noise and came along to see what was happening. “Are you sure we don't need to inspect the place? Our coworker mentioned that he heard a gunshot coming from here.” one of the officers asked. Kawir couldn't help it and let out a raucous laugh almost choking himself when he remembered that Sirion sometimes loses control when he's under the influence and a few minutes ago he fired into sky for no apparent reason.

Kawir slipped a pack of money in the officer's breast pocket “We have everything under control, sir, no worries about it. And even if you see anything weird I know it won't be hard for to turn a blind eye”. The officer nodded and Kawir looked him in a more serious way “Now, I beg your pardon but I have a party to attend and I'm already late.”

The officers left and Kawir made his way in where the main stage was located. With a grin on his face he approached RobOakheart and gave him a strong handshake “It is my great pleasure and honor to have you with us, I appreciate it that you made it here despite all your current business affairs in the Loop. Please send my greetings to DoctorBoom when you see him.” Kawir then made a gesture to a waitress to ask for two whiskey on the rocks and offered a fine Cuban cigar to Rob.

In the meantime Kawir was keeping an eye on Skadi's exotic dance moves and winked at her. Without giving it a second thought, he decided to join her on the dance floor as one of his favourite songs by Tampa Red was playing in the background. He leaned and whispered in her ear “You organized a fine event my dear, reminds me of the good old days.” while gently touching her waist.

Kawir looked around making sure everyone was having fun and requested more drinks for the attendees.

Report Post Tip

Skadi looked Kawir and smiled, thanking the praise received and knowing how important it was since coming it was from her Godfather. After a while, she followed his gaze around the room feeling relieved that everyone was amused.

As the party was at its height, Skadi decided to go to the stage to thank her friends for their presence, and other guests. She called Kawir and GentlemanJackDiamond for a short speech. GentlemanJackDiamond had drank a little too many, and instead of speaking, he decided to sing the song "Jug Band Cocaine Habit" from Memphis, leaving the guests amazed because no one knew Jack had this ability.

Applauding the courage of her friend, Skadi took back the microphone and called the next band to continue playing for the party.

Report Post Tip

As K_W was following the conversation by Don Roboakheart and Don @Gentlemenjackdiamond discussion business topics, such as the best way to exort shop owners, the plans they had to train their new recruits in a more aggressive way and about some old stories which showed the way Chicago crime bosses had gotten to their current positions he heard a lot of chatter and bustling at the entrance so the men turned their heads to see which person had arrived. Based on the flurry of activities it must be someone quite important. 

Indeed it was, it was Kawir their very own Godfather in south side who had appeared. Wow he thought to himself this party must have been endorsed by the GF and he came to show his support for Don Skadi, she indeed is loved in this part of town.

As he slid away from the Don's he greeted Hate whom had traveled with his boss to the party and discussed some small items that he knew LH's were trusted with and brought up the subject of his support group meetings he was going to have soon after the party would end. Hoping his friend would come to endorse the project as well

As they concluded their conversation he saw Gentlemenjackdiamond climb the stage and to his astonishment actually sing like a small little nightingale, K_W drops his jaw. He walks over to Skadi to have a whisper in her ear.

Wow, you knew he had this ability. His voice is so different from what you would expect for a big and strong man like that. I guess Roboakheart's special supply gave him some Dutch courage didn't it?

Skadi just smiles back and gives him a look with a very naughty twinkling in her eyes and both appreciate the music and the vocal beauty emanating from the large man's throat

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Chicago South Side Blues Festival
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL