Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 20:47:46
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Distribution of Ranks as of today Started by: FiroProchainezo on Aug 28, '11 20:11

Godfather - 5
Don - 22
Consigliere - 60
Boss - 72
Capo - 87
Made Man - 81
Wise Guy - 131
Earner - 79
Goomba - 60
Gangster - 89
Thug - 23

First off i would like to remind you this game is played and set in the 1930s so it is safe to say that we should compare those numbers to the traditional terminology which states as follows.

Traditional terminology - i'll add some comments
1. Capo di tuttu capi (the "Boss of All Bosses") - Godfather
2. Capo di Capi Re (a title of respect given to a senior or retired member, equivalent to being a member emeritus, literally, "King Boss of Bosses") - obviously we don't have that one
3. Capo Crimine ("Crime Boss", known as a Don - the head of a crime family) - Don, Crewleader
4. Capo Bastone ("Club Head", known as the "Underboss" is second in command to the Capo Crimine) - our RH or the Boss?
5. Consigliere(an advisor) - same for MR
6. Caporegime("Regime head", a captain who commands a "crew" of around twenty or more Sgarriste or "soldiers") - Capo
7. Sgarrista or Soldato ("Soldier", made members of the Mafia who serve primarily as foot soldiers) - Earner, Wise Guy and Made Man
8. Picciotto ("Little man", a low ranking member who serves as an "enforcer") - Goomba, Gangster, Thug and Petty Thief
9. Giovane D'Onore (an associate member, usually someone not of Italian ancestry)

Sidenote: What purpose does the Rank of Boss have in Mafiareturns?

Now while i think that the number of Godfathers, Dons and Consiglieres is completely fine i would like to let you know the odds from above Capo to below Capo.
246 to 463(+60 Civilians/Petty Thiefs). Removing around 150 inactive and quitting players, the odds are 1:1.5 --> For 2 people at the rank of Capo and above there are 3 people at the rank of Made Man and below. Considering that for 1 Capo alone there should be 20 to 30 Made Man, Wise Guys and Earners the odds are really falling out of recognition.
-------87 Capos x 20 = 1740--------

Respect. While roleplaying can we really respect everyone the way they should be when there are so many high ranked players? I mean our perception is really skewed through the numbers. To be high ranked is a normal thing, a given. At this point we should realize that high rank alone doesn't get you respect anymore. What can we do to change this? Do you even want change?

Report Post Tip

Well that surely opens a lot of questions... a change in the ranking system would be interesting. I dont know how this could be possible though... what have always been weird to me was the rank of consigliere. It is not the same as real mafia... a consigliere is a advisor. It i am not mistaken he is the godfathers advisor, but you can correct me if i am wrong on this one. So the rank of consigliere seems a little odd. I would like to see more comments on this, even though the topic has been used quite a lot so far. Maybe somebody could bring something new and useable in this game.

Report Post Tip

The Consig is the Adviser f the Godfather. He is someone who is trusted by that GF and he is usually someone highly respected and should be obeyed by every as if he was the RHM....after all why would you disobey the man who has the trust of the GodFather?

Report Post Tip

Exactly Johnjo, consigliere is higher than bosses... he is right after the godfather and there is only one consigliere. This is why the rank seems odd to me, it is not a rank... it is the highest priviledge after godfather. Like every city only has one godfather... they should also have one consigliere. But this topic has been talked over and over again loll.

Report Post Tip

The Consigliere is an advisor for the head of a crew. There can be several Consiglieres. I don't know where you have that information from but there certainly isn't only 1. Consigliere is not above Don/Boss as shown in the traditional terminology, he is the #3 man in a crew or shares that position with several other consiglieres.

Now, could you please get back to the original questions?

Report Post Tip

Yes well, like i said before....

It i am not mistaken he is the godfathers advisor, but you can correct me if i am wrong on this one.

I guess i stand corrected, i was'nt 100% sure about it. But there are still way too many consiglieres... but this has been bought out before... many times.

Report Post Tip

They have to name the ranks something. And if we held off on promoting people because there were already so many high ranking players, no one would ever get anywhere. I think little more hard-coded structure regardless of the ranks could do some good, though.

Anyway, Capo dei Capi seems like an arbitrary title for idiots to fight over, kinda like a Biggest Asshole in the Universe trophy. Declaring yourself as such, or being branded with the title by the media is pretty much an invitation to be murdered.

Report Post Tip

All these titles you listed are Italian. Italian Mafia used them. This game is set in America. This is Italian-American Mafia. Term "Godfather" was invented by Mario Puzo while the term "Don" wasn't used in Italian-American Mafia (they spoke English so it was just "boss", and "mister").

Report Post Tip

I was looking for something to compare the numbers and already made the transition from traditional to Mafiareturns and since 'mafia' originated from sicily and 1930 isn't so far off i decided to put it up. Just pointing out the obvious doesn't really contribute to the matter at hand though.

Personally i would limit the amount of people for each rank inside a crew itself.

Report Post Tip

That's a bad idea. If someone works his ass off enough to be a Don, but Don and Consigliere places are full, that means he's stuck as Boss.

Report Post Tip

If someone works his ass of and is considered worthy of being a Don, he would be worthy of having a crew too, don't you agree? Internal changes could be done any time. It's happening with RH and LH positions aswell.

Report Post Tip

I think this is one of many things we have to overlook and live with because it is a game. Unless a proper plan can be laid out that is fair, and does not keep players stagnant (thus, bored), the current system will have to do. 

Report Post Tip

RHM and LHM should be renamed to Underboss and Consigliere respectively.

Report Post Tip

Actually. The consigliere is a person who would pass along messages between mafia families. The usage of the word was made into the form of a counselor to the Godfather or the acting member of the crime family by Mario Puzo's books. Never before that was this word used. Instead they would call them Messagerio's Or a variant of the spelling. So, the boss's of the crew, the acting leader and his right hand, would have a meeting or what some call, a sit down. (Even though they were mostly used to whack out someone) Then, they would tell the messenger a course of action with a different family. Most times it would be used for an alliance. And the messenger would go out to the different crime family, the ally if it may be, and tell the acting messenger of that crew and pass the messages. Then their messenger will go to their bosses's and crew leader and tell them what Family A was wanting to do about such and such. Then it will go back and forth. Most times they would change messengers so that the FBI, or rival factions saw the same men meeting and talking suspiciously.

Report Post Tip

The term Godfather was also made up by Mario Puzo.

Report Post Tip

Certain allowances need to be made for the sake of the game. I too remember finding the ranks Consig and Don a bit odd given their meaning, but there needs to be some allowances made for the sake of the game, even at the sacrifice of ultimate realism. If we really wanted absolute realism, why wouldn't a goomba be able to kill a Godfather? Surely one's rank in a Mafia organization wouldn't hinder one's ability to kill another man. We'd also need to eliminate drugs from the game, which were traditionally forbidden by the Mafia and not allow women to join. So while I see what you're saying, we do need to make some allowances

To your point, my RHM is my Underboss and my LH serves as my advisor. But to hold a member back from obtaining the rank of Consig for the sake of Mafia realism wouldn't make any sense either. Regardless though, still cool you posted those terms, as they all can still be applied to the structure of an individual crew's structure even though one's IG rank may indicate otherwise. It's still good info to have :)

Report Post Tip

From now on, everybody calls me Signore Capo Bastone.

Report Post Tip

I don`t know how you could go through the bother of finding that out it must of taking ages.

Report Post Tip

T-Man this game has a Stats Page(http://mafiareturns.com/war/wackstats.php) and then it's just simple math. Thanks for showing interest though.

Report Post Tip

There's plenty of Mafia enthusiasts on here that would consider that info common knowledge T-Man, and plenty others that probably appreciated the breakdown by Frio.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Distribution of Ranks as of today
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL