Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 13:54:55
Game Suggestions
2 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Start-up answers Started by: LilacDelaney on Nov 07, '12 13:33

This is something I've always wondered and I believe it applies mostly to new users.

When I first joined MR, I had no idea that it was wise to retain some knowledge of my start-up answers. A lot, if not all CLs, do ask about these - so what do you do if you can't remember them? I didn't know that start-up answers affected your character's strengths and weaknesses back in the beginning, and I wonder if many other new users have the same problem.

It may have many cons - I'm not sure - but I often wonder if it would be beneficial to have some way of referring back to your original stats so that you are aware of your initial strengths/weaknesses, even if it were a one off after starting gameplay. I also think it would be useful for CLs to be able to get the measure of their family's different skills as a whole. Having this sort of facility wouldn't offer any one user an advantage over another as it would be universal.

Mind you, I am aware that there must be a good reason why this hasn't been implemented, which is why I'm just throwing it out there in suggestions to see what response I get. It's a part of the game I'm genuinely interested in.

If it were a viable idea, I'd quite like to see this concept implemented throughout the life of a mobster so that they can watch their own progress via something else other than achievements. I'm not sure if info xp is the specific xp awarded for posting in the BDs and streets - but if it is, wouldn't an idea like this encourage people to post more? They may look at their info stat, consider it something they could work on and hey presto - we get more interaction on the streets and BDs.

Again, I point out that I am still pretty new and there's a lot that I'm not aware of when it comes these things, so I'm quite happy to have opposing theories/facts pointed out. At least I'll learn :)

Report Post Tip

I don't think that people should know how much info xp (or other type of xp) they get just by looking at their stats before they post (or any other action) and after - that would remove too much mystery and lead to people having specific knowledge on how to get a 'perfect stat'.

I do like the idea of being able to see your base stats (in the same form as when signing up and using the roll system) at least once. But maybe it would be worth not being able to see this for x amount of time after the account has been created (maybe a week?) to stop people from repeatedly signing up using the multiple choice system and being able to check exactly what each answer set gives them.

Report Post Tip

I agree with DeadlySin, I don't think we should have access to the original stats to see where we are weakest/strongest. However with that being said, I would like to hear if it would be possible to at least refer back somewhere to what answer set you're on. Maybe something in your profile stating you are vision or stealth or wack answers, just so that you know what to tell your leader. And by profile, I mean the profile you view to edit, not your public profile.

Report Post Tip

I see no reason why a user shouldn't be able to look at the specific answers they gave, however they shouldn't have access to any knowledge of what these answers actual mean in terms of ability for their character.

With the dice roll available now, people can start off knowing exactly what areas they are strong in, so I can see where Lilac is coming from on that perspective, however I think DeadlySin and PC-Cassi are both correct in that allowing people continued access to these stats with an ability to monitor the changes made would totally remove one of the best things about this game, the mystery. There has already been so much mystery removed from the game over time that I would be really uncomfortable seeing more information made readily available to the users.

Report Post Tip

We dont have start up answers recorded, so if this were to ever be implemented, it would only work for new accounts created after that point.

I wouldnt feel comfortable showing stats as they go up, but I would be OK with showing start up answers if you used the right side, or the bars if you used the left - thus only showing your stat breakdown upon birth of your character, not anything after that point.

Report Post Tip

I agree wholeheartedly that one of the best things about this game is the mystery and the fact that you do have to figure some stuff out on your own over time. So, as the concept of being able to view stats might compromise that, I think that part of the idea can be scrapped.

I love the idea of a time lapse before a user can see their answer information, perhaps after a week or when they meet certain critera i.e. sign their crew rules and display a tag, or when they achieve their -75 petties and get their gun. This would counteract anyone hoping to take advantage of the system and involve legitimately earning the information. It could be incorporated into the roleplay aspect of the game, e.g:

You're about to leave the boss's office you notice a brown folder with your name on it sitting on his desk. He notices your curiosity and motions for you to take a seat again.

''Background checks, you know the deal'' he says. ''Let's get the measure of you then, son.''

I also think it's entirely reasonable to limit> what they can see; as DeadlySin and Cassi said, perhaps a simple indication of your answer set or a representation of your start-up skills 'base'. The main benefit here would be to allow new family members to give their CL some solid information about them that categorises where their start-up strength lies.

I'm glad that you can all see potential in this idea despite the (now obvious, lol) flaws. My intention was for the basics of it to be recognised, even if it needs fine tuning. It's definitely something that I feel would benefit the game. Apologies in advance for the poor typing - it's first thing in the morning and I need more sleep!

Report Post Tip
PC-Warrior has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 1 sponsors and will need 4 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

Love the rp part you incorporated with the background check! Would love to actually see that as like the personal you get with maybe a link to your profile where you can view the info or maybe an entirely separate page! This has my support!

Report Post Tip
PC-Cassiopeia has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 2 sponsors and will need 3 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

Thankyou! :D

Report Post Tip

start up answers should be available if someone doesn't record them maybe in profile, but no details or xp/stat gains in my mind

Report Post Tip

We need to get rid of the set answers the whole world knows

Report Post Tip

Didn't the new dice-rolling system change that, OldMan? As it's random there are no guarantees anymore.

Report Post Tip
PC-Ter has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 3 sponsors and will need 2 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

I think what OldMan means is get rid of the answers you can choose from and only use the dice roll. Could be wrong though.

Report Post Tip

We need to get rid of the set answers the whole world knows

I think what OldMan means is get rid of the answers you can choose from and only use the dice roll. Could be wrong though.

Getting rid of the answers does nothing, now. The dice roll enables users to choose their stats. You can roll as often as you like until you get a set of stats you are happy with. The fact people are aware of answer sets that save the time of rolling is irrelvant now.

Personally I would have agreed with you both prior to the dice roll, id have like to see things shaken up and an element of mystery on the answers brought back. That said, I like the dice roll and have used it on recent characters and I feel that it allows new players that aren't aware of these answers to be able to start off in a similar position to the old timer players who do know answer sets.

Report Post Tip

I don't see a real need for this now the dice roll system is in place, if players want to see their stats so they can tell their leader then they should sign up using the dice roll and take notes or a print screen of their stats.

Warrior I think I'm going to have to disagree about answer sets being changed so people don't know what they are simply because I think the reason people want it like that is because it's how it was. The majority of games that have different start up stats allow you to assign your own stats in point based system & I think the dice roll is the perfect balance between the two.

Report Post Tip

PC-Flash-Fire, the original issue that I was trying to address would still exist in that case. As I said before, what about brand new users coming into the game who don't know how much impact that dice roll has on their character? Are they likely to simply 'suicide/retire' in order to sign up again and sit repeatedly clicking for the best possible roll of the dice? Kinda makes just getting started with the game a whole lot of hassle. It isn't particularly easy to patiently click over and over again as the dice roll is completely random - you can't be guaranteed the skillset you want. Moreover, new users simply won't know what this skillset means until they get into gameplay and discover the full context.

Rolling the dice is all very well, but from experience, most new users are unlikely to take note of their whole stat set, again because they don't realise how valuable it is. Rather, they would probably note down their strongest (with, let's face it, most aiming for full attack), eventually forgetting where they stand with the others. Plus, your skill set changes throughout gameplay according to what you're doing, so isn't it better to have some sort of RP interaction between you and your crew leader to offer some direction that benefits the individual and the family? I personally think that anything which encourages interaction between new associates and CLs in those early days is important. Too many people sign up and then go inactive; we need something else to hook them in right at the beginning.

At least, if there were some sort of option - such as a one off RP-based achievement, as above - new users a) get to crack on with things as soon as they sign up, b) are enticed by the potential to reveal some information about their own character and can therefore work with their CL to decide where to work on next and c) crew leaders have the advantage of a clear-cut, tangible representation of their family skills set.

Report Post Tip

The stats on the dice roll are pretty obvious, so they'll know what they are choosing. Also as a first time player they are not expected to reach the top, all games have things you need to learn as you.

Report Post Tip

Of course - there is a fine line to tread in terms of compromising the learning curve that comes with the game. If anything, it's precisely that learning curve that keeps me coming back. So, I definitely see where you're coming from.

However, I think what I'm really aiming for is some small token that reveals just a little information and involves a new associate with their CL on a one to one basis. Say for example a user joins us, they find a family, display their tag and earn their gun. At that point, they could receive a notification along the lines of the RP example I gave; it wouldn't need to go into too much detail. You could even give the information in a subtle way rather than listing base stats, e.g.:

''Seems you got yourself a steady hand and a sharp eye...you could be useful.''

This would be an example of someone who has high attack stats. Or, for strong stealth:

''I hear they call you The Creeper where you come from...we could use someone who knows how to be discreet.''

Obviously a little more RP could be thrown in there to fatten it up, but all in all, only the most basic of information would be revealed within an RP context.

Even if someone has already taken note of their stats, I see no harm in adding this kind of extra dimension to early gameplay. It doesn't tell them anything that they don't already know. And, if they don't, they get a hint of where they're starting from and immediately feel more connected to the game. That little hint helps provide a starting identity, if you will.

There are any number of ways this could be redesigned/implemented - lots of possibilities - so it's really good to see people responding with their thoughts.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Start-up answers
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL