Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 14:58:16
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 
Forum Posting Perks - My take on it Started by: enkindle on Nov 29, '12 20:39

Whitey, that's kind of how I feel, something needs to be tried. We don't have to get right the first try.

Spike, the key thing is, if there is not equal cost to the gain, it will be abused. Not at first, but eventually.

Report Post Tip

Spike, I don't think it would really work like that, with the facebook example... reason for that is the anonymous factor. Plus - how does one get recognized otherwise? sometimes people will mail you saying 'nice thread' but it's not often, it's not tangible, and it won't get others to try it out. 

And even if it did work out to be a popularity contest - it'd be better than stagnation

Report Post Tip
PC-Warrior has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 4 sponsors and will need 1 more sponsor in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

I like this idea. Be interesting to see the impact this has on the forums.

Report Post Tip

Because if it turns into a popularity contest then more people are more likely to not post because they are upset because others are getting special treatment. I still don't feel like this is the way to go about boosting business districts either.

Stagnation. To be honest... If everyone discussing rewarding people for posting, just posted instead... There would be no stagnation. Why do you NEED to be rewarded to do it?? There are already benefits to posting, just because they are not tangible doesn't mean they aren't they. I would rather see something like the MR stock exchange put back into place if we're going to honestly do a monetary reward system, that is something everyone can benefit from and the players can control it by posting. In a system like this, it's too easy to be taken advantage of and show people favortism.

Report Post Tip

From what I've read though, this isn't a monetary reward system that a user invokes, its one from another user. So someone has to choose to give their own money in reward, not the game giving the reward. That in itself makes the major difference for me. Had it been that the game gave the reward for a long post or something to that effect, I wouldn't be anywhere near this; but all this is doing is allowing people to have a function for giving some appreciation for the posts. I see nothing wrong with that.

I too though would like seeing the Stock Exchange back, but thats a whole different ball game altogether.

Report Post Tip

{Cassi, I realllllly feel like you didn't read this thread. The stocks thing is in no way comparable to this. That would be an easily abused system and only floods the game with more money. Also an anonymous system in no way shows favoritism. Sure people might be more inclined to reward their friends, but who doesn't?}

Report Post Tip

{I don't think I equated this to the stock exchange enkindle. I said I would rather see the stock exchange than this. Anonymity for the people rating sure, which doesn't counteract the favoritism factors. I still say if everyone putting their efforts into finding ways to reward people for posting put their efforts into actually posting we wouldn't need this at all. Saying "I should get paid for posting." (whether it comes from the game or the players) Is like saying "I should get paid just for logging in."}

Yes I understand its coming out of the players pockets Warrior. But the fact still remains is they want money for posting and I don't agree with that.

Report Post Tip

I tend to agree with a few others, that if the only reward the poster gained was the money from the 'praiser' then I have no problem with it. If there were other rewards that were game-given, then abuse could, and would, take place.

{I know I'm late on this, but it is damn fun. PC FTW. And I hate Pumpkins, obviously, so it's fun in that respect too. :P }

I'll give it a sponsor as I think it's definitely worth us discussing in the PC forum and voting on it.

Report Post Tip
PC-Pratster has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion has received the required 5 sponsors and has been submitted to the player commission forum.

Player Commission Thread: Forum Posting Perks - My take on it
Report Post Tip

Cassi, who cares why people post quality content. If their goal is to get paid, big deal? If that's their goal and they don't get paid because it sucks, maybe they will try to improve. Right now, there is no incentive whatsoever in posting quality content, monetary, ego boost, or otherwise which is a fair reason as to why forum activity is nearly dead.

Report Post Tip

Who cares? Obviously I care, I'm sorry that my opinion doesn't matter to you because it doesn't agree with yours. But it still matters. I don't like the favortism aspect and I don't like people getting paid to post. The incentive is the ability to do it at all for one thing. This is a... wait for it... waaaaaaaaaaait for it.... *SHOCK GASP* role playing game!!! Business districts used to thrive and people didn't get paid to do it then. They did it because they enjoyed it. Also, no incentives whatsoever? I believe you receive vision boosts and xp for posting quality content. That USED to be incentive enough. A player problem shouldn't need something like this, hard coded in to correct it.

Report Post Tip

Cassi, please tell me how anonymous little pats on the back would be favoritism? Also, please, tell me why a little favoritism (if its really even that) is a bad thing? Telling my friends that I enjoy the content they wrote is not a bad thing.

We aren't talking giving 100's of thousands away here, its more along the lines of a couple thousand to say hey, I care enough about saying "you did a good job to take a little out of my pocket for you".

Also, yes. Back when posting on the internet was the most fun thing around, it thrived. It's not anymore. Spending hours browsing sites like reddit (don't go there, it will suck your soul) are. Or playing xbox or... well you get the idea. Times change, and as you said yourself the incentives USED to be enough. They aren't anymore, or clearly, the forums would be much more active.

Report Post Tip

You tell me why a little favoritism is wrong. I hear players bitching constantly about admins showing favoritism even when they're not. So what do you think is going to happen when it clearly is?

Report Post Tip

{First, I don't think players favoring other players is wrong. I like my friends. I don't like my enemies. Please, TELL ME how this is favoritism. Its anonymous. It takes money from your pocket. It puts it in someone else's. I honestly don't see this is as being favoritism.

fa·vor·it·ism
/?f?v(?)ri?tiz?m/
Noun
The practice of giving unfair preferential treatment to one person or group at the expense of another.
}

Report Post Tip

{Thank you for the English lesson. I know what favoritism means. And showing your friends praise and then someone new who posts well doesn't get praise because they don't have the same friends that gave someone else's post 10 praises, how is that not favoritism and how is that ok exactly? I really don't agree with your "its ok to show favoritism attitude." I think its a poor stance for someone in your position. If everyone thinks we need some kind of rewards for posting it should be an equal system. You want to praise your friends, there is mail and chat for that.}

Report Post Tip

Why should you be able to praise or pay for a post, that its supposed to not be a "post". I believe this contradicts with what the streets is supposed to represent in the roleplaying side of the game. We often see people screaming OOC when people mention anything out of character and now we will get people paying the poster? Makes no sense at all.

The only way something like this would make sense in my views, is if its done on the business district/bars. You come in, you roleplay your piece or just look around, and you praise/pay for your drinks or for simple entering the establishment.

Other then that, where is the sense on it? Why would I throw money for a group of people that is having a random conversation on an alley or certain street?

Report Post Tip

Y, what you describe is likely what it would be used for most of the time, people wouldn't pay for the average every day post. But coding it for all forums the same as for just one. We could evaluate turning it on\off for particular forums though.

As for it not fitting with what the forums used to be, your pretty much right. But they aren't what they used to be, which is the whole issue.

Report Post Tip

I wish there was a 'like' button for the last post...

;)

Report Post Tip

I've thought about this long and hard (Ooo-err missus) and I had thought that a simple like/dislike button linked to achievements would be the way to go, but that system is open to abuse. As was previously said, a CL etc sending a MM out saying 'Bitches, like my post'

Players paying their own money is open to abuse as well. Again the same CL sends out 5k to every member and asks them to like their post. Sure they don't get any money, but they do get 30 thumbs up.

likewise, if you don't like someone, such as Kuklinski (not sure of the spelling, but he's the first one to come to mind) then you send out your minions to flame his post.

My other worry is that it may actually reduce some posts in the forums. Why should I come out with the whole:

I walk into the street, kick a bum, light a fag, swig from my hipflask

*Cough Cough Splutter splutter Yeah bud, couldn't agree more. I remember my great grandaddy's wife's sister's mother's brother's diary saying something similar.

Jumps into car and races off whilst knocking down midgets

When I can just like your post and send you 5k?

I'm played games in the past where this system was abused (AD, GS one of those), and I would hate to see the same thing happen here. However, as Enkindle has stated, the dynamic of the internet has changed, and posting/blogging etc is no longer the number 1 past time, and the forums on MR and other games have suffered for it. Having said that, there have always been calls for more/better posts in the streets, I have copies of posts my own friends and characters made a decade ago, calling for such changes.

I think it should be linked purely to the Achievements, and achievements that have to be public, IE no check box in options to hide it. There should be achievements for Quality posts, achievements for flamed posts (Negative cash as a reward?) and achievements for Liking and flaming posts. That way you can easily see, who is a good poster, who is bad, who is mediocre, who likes everything, and who hates everything. You could also add in middle road achievements for reviewers, such as between 40-60% liked over 50 reviews, which would also show that they aren't just click happy like monkeys.

To avoid abuse of the system, only the first 5 likes or dislikes from any one crew count. For instance, Lilac makes a new paper and the whole of Dalle Ceneri likes it, only the first 5 count. This eliminates the potential for abuse by a CL ordering her minions to liek a post.

Kind of rambled on more than I meant to, but these are my thoughts on the matter.

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Forum Posting Perks - My take on it
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL