Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 11:42:14
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
INPUT NEEDED: Vday start time. Started by: Squishy on Jan 11, '13 22:50

Soooo this year we are going to be doing Vday on Feb 16th (Saturday). (More details to follow in a few days). Our normal "start at midnight" may not be the most ideal solution so I am fishing for better ones.

The average person on MR works M-F 9-5, and is spread out from -8 GMT to 0 GMT timezones. What do you feel is the best start time for a 24 hour event that will allow the most amount of users to participate while being fair for the *most* number of users?

(Keep in mind there are 8 rounds of 3 hours each, you can participate in one, you can participate in all 8, most of the prizes are awarded for individual rounds, with a few for all-day, this allows users to play casually and not have to do a 24 hour power-thon)

Please give your suggestion on the start time, and back it up with your reasoning behind it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Report Post Tip

Apologies for sounding like a complete nub, but since I've er.. 'Returned' to MR I've never experienced a vday (although have obviously heard a little about it). Can someone please enlighten me as to what it involves?

Report Post Tip

1) Site is broken down into two parts "Currently Playing Vday" and "Dead until next round, currently playing regular game"

2) Every user is set out with 1 mission - be the last man standing for that round.

3) Wack every minute, there is no pro-time, everyone starts off with equal footing (same gun, same rank).

4) Shooting someone degrades their health, while adding to yours. Time also degrades your health.

5) Work with a group or by yourself and kill kill kill kill.

6) When you die, you just go back to playing the regular game and wait for the next round to start up again.

7) If you do well, you get free stuff from the game to reward your hard work. When its all over, your account is back to normal, you are alive, and you have some great stories to tell (plus the experience and prizes you get for participating)

(There are tons more details we can get into when we make the formal announcement, but this is the quick version)

This all is to celebrate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine%27s_Day_Massacre which was a blood bath that took place on Valentines day! :)

Report Post Tip

I see. Thank you. Will definitely get involved.

Report Post Tip

I still believe that V'day should run from 00:00 to 00:00 the next day, MR time as it was previously.

Usually when things are edited to accommodate "The userbase" its usually the UK based players who get the raw end of the stick.
(I previously heard rumors that it could be starting somewhere near 2am UK time)

If the V'day times run as they have in previous years. I dont feel there can be many complaints.

The way the rounds was set out previously gave everyone equal chance to atleast participate in a round (if not more) Why change it now unless there was complaints last year I failed too notice...

Something I would be interested to know is if "getting the last hit" on someone will give more HP too the shooter as it did last year.

Last year the V'day became, not who could shoot every minute, but who could refresh profiles and snipe off the last hit too gain extra HP.

Report Post Tip

"The way the rounds was set out previously gave everyone equal chance to atleast participate in a round (if not more) Why change it now unless there was complaints last year I failed too notice..."

The way the rounds were set out previously gave the UKer's an advantage. Previous Vdays started during the weekend for UKers but if you lived in west coast USA, it started while you were at work. This is why I think we need to adjust the times, or push it to sunday game time. (Which gives less recovery time for the UK'ers to sleep before work on monday)

See the dilemma?

Report Post Tip

Ahh yeah I understand the dilemma.

The right compromise needs too be found, But as with most things it wont be ideal for everyone :/

Report Post Tip

Arranging the time for most value ( people) is probably ideal.  Personally I plan on being around for most.

Report Post Tip

i have been in one V-day...the first one, and have missed every single one since...timing is never on my side

Report Post Tip

just one question what if we are offline when this start?

Report Post Tip

I believe last year, everyone online/offline were a part of v-day

Report Post Tip

"just one question what if we are offline when this start?"

If you're lucky enough to wake up alive during a round, you will wake up with the health points you have left, people will most likely pick off those offline, to build up their sats before turning on each other. But if you are IA for long enough you will wake up "v-day dead".

As for start times, majority of those who can play all day, will do so no matter of start time. last year i stayed up all night and day to do so. it started at midnight my uk time. The way the rounds are staggered,And as you say prozes are awarded for each round, people can pick their rounds that most suit them. 'tis the nature of the game, we has people world wide playing, someone will always be at a disadvantage.

Report Post Tip

i see i hope i did have a chance on that day i had my vacation when that event happen i will definetely stay up on this event and enjoy myself with the others i just hope i can do good in there :)

Report Post Tip

16th Feb is weekend here, I'll probably be here on Vday.

Report Post Tip

I'll miss it this year. Got plans already for the 16th unfortunately. For anyone that hasn't participated before, its an excellent event and a whole lot of fun.

My suggestion for times though would have been to remain the same as last year. However as Squishy pointed out, this is during workiing hours for our friends across the pond, its also midnight in the UK. As far as I know, the majority of users are US/UK?

My suggestion in that case would be 8am Saturday to 8am Sunday (MR Times). That way it kicks off 00.00 PST/8am GMT. I think?

Though tbh, as we have a number of rounds, I think the start time is only relevant to those that are intending on pulling a 24hr session, everyone else will pick their rounds accordingly.

Report Post Tip

"6) When you die, you just go back to playing the regular game and wait for the next round to start up again."

So could the people who are dead and playing the regular game say start a war or attack someone while mostly everyone else is playing V-Day?

Report Post Tip

So could the people who are dead and playing the regular game say start a war or attack someone while mostly everyone else is playing V-Day?

Usually, Wack is turned off for the duration of the event. So there can be no Wacking in the actual game incase of such above instances.

Report Post Tip

Why not say start at 0900 game time on Saturday. It's perfect time for UKers, a little shitty for east coasters and crap for west coasters; but that 24 hour window is entirely in the weekend and ensures everyone in any timezone can take part?

Report Post Tip

Could we not start at 00:00 Sunday and end at midnight on Sunday? It means it won't cut into anyone who works during the week's working day, and if we're looking at the UK as the furtherst forward timezone (like, the most ahead, does that make sense?), going to bed at midnight shouldn't really screw up anyone who works on a Monday. I'm guessing that less people work Sunday than Saturday so it should also mean more people can play from that perspective.

Report Post Tip

I think anna is on to something. using the UK as the farthest forward. so even if you say...oh start at 8 or 9 pm GMT saturday, and end at the same on sunday.  that puts the first 7 hours of the deal a good time for US folks, and then the last 8 the same, while you start with only 1 or 2 good hours for the UK, but have 11-12 solid hours of good play time for them. and, the last 8 is time when potentially everyone could play. and, you have plenty of time to sleep (or play the regular game) before monday.

thoughts?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: INPUT NEEDED: Vday start time.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL