Get Timers Now!
X

May 16 - 13:14:12
Game Suggestions
1 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [ > - >>> ]
Posting Anonymously Started by: NoahLevenstein on Jan 15, '13 10:39

Noah, why not just keep the genuine opinions to mails to the admins if someone feels that there might be questionable content or possible repercussions in game. I think everything is fine as is. If people can't filter themselves publicly, that's their fault.

Being anonymous is something that people use so that they can do things that they don't want known about their character, either because of an action in game or their words. Personally, I believe in being up front about opinions. As I mentioned before, I was incog and wrote a thread... which I was later bloodlined for, but I knew that was a possibility when I wrote it. I dealt with it. 

If we're just focusing on commenting on suggestions, there is a civil way to do it and not make yourself look bad. Some people might have a problem with anger and such, but that's their problem, not the game's and they should be dealt with accordingly.

When it comes to street threads, I feel it would be abused, and it's not a right that anyone should have as a player. Being anonymous is something that I think should be limited to those who want to start up a character and let it die after they've said their piece. Of course, if they're figured out, that's the risk that take. That's the risk I took.  

The coding stuff I don't even take into consideration because the whole suggestion seems flawed to me anyway. 

Report Post Tip

My first thought is that I like this suggestion. I would love to see either a way to post anonymously or an anonymous 'rumors' thread.

When you limit it to OOC I don't really see the point now... If you want to ask a question about a feature and don't want everyone to know about it... mail squishy or enkindle.. or maybe hop on IRC and ask an administrator...

I don't see an issue with having a rumor thread or way to post anonymously. I've seen it implimented in other games, sure it turned out to be a mudslinging thing and a way to post in game threats/warnings but it added a bit of fun and mystery to things...

People think it will be 'abused' well the admins can still see who wrote it - if you write something that crosses the line you know you're gonna get a good old admin wack any way.. so what's the difference?

Report Post Tip

Sooooo make more work for the admins by having to babysit anonymous posters and punish them, while probably still fielding questions and queries in their mail, plus fielding all the anonymous questions? Sounds peachy.

As stated before, especially since this being reserved for OOC. There are more than plenty of options to get answers to questions people have, without having to introduce something that would be more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

Report Post Tip

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about. Stipulations have already been made that the feature would be protected against abuse heavily and be available only in threads that are outside of the streets/business district, and considering that the staff already removes malicious content and punishes offenders, I don't see why this can't be added.

It's almost a running gag (no pun intended) that users live their accounts muted, singing nothing but praises (or, nothing at all) only until their last dying breath. There is, fundamentally, a culture of fear about posting in the streets - there's even been a few occasions where crews prescreen their members posts before giving approval. That kind of culture shouldn't extend towards the OOC forum, where the discussion usually dives into the technical features and the actual problems that the game has. Censorship or punishment shouldn't exist in that medium if it's content that isn't malicious or defamatory, and it should remain one of the few places in the game where everyone is on equal footing and can speak their mind openly instead of having to consider another user's status in the game (and the consequences of that) when writing their thoughts.

Report Post Tip
PC-ralph has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 1 sponsors and will need 4 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

I know several people who have had opinions about issues that were discussed OOC or suggestions, and they wanted to post, and give reasons/evidence o back their argument.  The reasons were completely valid in my opinion, but they chose not to post their reasons and thoughts because it would be going against the current leadership.  This option would allow for people to be honest and back up their reasoning without risking the wrath of leadership who might oppose the suggested change, OR might be the reason that the change would be needed in the first place.  To me, this isn't really about asking questions... its about freedom to speak and help give input to the game without worry of retribution.  PC members, just because you wouldn't use it, or do not see the point of using it, doesn't mean isn't a valuable idea. 

Also, some people just have no respect of the community, and feel overlooked when they post using their known accounts and aliases.  If they can go annon, it lessens the chance that potentially good ideas would be overlooked. 

as far as abuse goes... I was dded once for too strenuously arguing my opinions.  I understand that I need to broach things more thoughfully moving forward and wouldn't act differently as annon, because of course the admins would still know my account.  I would obviously be held to the same standard I am now, I dont see this being a big deal. 

Report Post Tip

Imt not really talking about opinions, though I dont know how other people would see this feature taking shape. I may not have been clear in my original post, but in every post since I think I've fairly clearly stipulated that I see the feature most being used tor asking questions anonymously that could otherwise 'compromise' the actions of your character without you making any mistakes or missteps from an IC basis.

Report Post Tip

Well, based on Pumpkin's last point, a person wouldn't really be anonymous at all except to perhaps the playing leaders... So while people won't abuse the admins, if given anonymity in any other forum than suggestions and such, there is a lot of room for abuse that would just complicate things from an administrative side between accusations and such....etc 

I do not trust the general userbase with being anonymous either to the admins or players alike. Generally, anonymous people are dangerous because they have nothing holding them back because their actions won't affect them. There will be needless bashing of other people in the streets, and perhaps even in the suggestions. It creates anarchy. That's why I don't think this is something we should consider in any form. True anonymity is even more scary, and I don't think it is deserved by anyone. 

Speak in a calm fashion. Do not criticize in any way. Explain your issue... Don't complain "it." Etc. Etc. then you won't be so concerned about responding to something/anything. If you are unable to do this, you deserve whatever fate happens to find you.

Report Post Tip

Game on.

What could it be used for?

Underground groups' threats, murmurs and ramblings (I'm think of Kuku being able to rank up here yet STILL be able to post something without getting killed for it).

People who feel embarrassed to ask a question in public.

"I have the witness statement of xXxXx", send money to *insert anonymous code here* for the witness statement (yes, people could be screwed out of money, but this IS the mafia).

A leak hears about an upcoming  takedown/war... wants the public to know, but not to know it was them who spread it.

For all the problems people will have with how this can be abused... there are ways now to abuse someone. This wouldn't make it any easier for the abuser to do what they wanted... the abusee could flag the post and its checked by admins/helpdeskers.

I see far more pro's than cons.

Report Post Tip

Well, you say that the abusee could flag it etc... but the abusee can already do that. The "potential" abuser would be the one left in the dark in this scenario, and so that's the fear. People will attack others verbally without a second thought, except as Pumpkins pointed out, admins would know who they were. 

One other thing to consider is the amount of misinformation and spam that could be flooded through such a channel... I just don't see it as worth it. Pros cons and other wise. I don't see a win for anyone except the troublemakers and people who can't be respectful using their own name.

Report Post Tip

Countdown, half of your examples wouldn't really work as this is only being considered for OOC. There shouldn't be WS talk, leaks about takedowns or underground murmurings in OOC as those are IC things. There is nothing this suggestion offers that can't be done currently.

Report Post Tip

Some of you seem to have taken your concern to the RP aspects of the game. I thought the original idea was for something plainly for Out of Character things as Noah has pointed out time and time again. It's not meant for the Streets, CLs should have the right to kill someone from their Streets post or what not. But why should people who maybe have some valid points to a game suggestion or need to ask about something of a feature already put into place? They shouldn't be held back from doing so and many are.

Report Post Tip

What if only original threads would be anonymous, the poster. But all postees were seen? And there would have to be a limit of one per so many days or something?

Or what if you posted via CA?

These are merely just suggestions as I like the idea and don't want this to become another inactive thread/suggestion.

Report Post Tip

Why would someone be so afraid to have an opinion on game suggestions? I think I described a way that anybody, even the most....,  could express their opinion without getting into trouble. It's as simple as respect. That's why people get in trouble. It's because of their lack of respect. If you're respectful, you'll be heard out. 

Report Post Tip

Just like my own incident in #divinelunacy just yesterday right? I made a suggestion, brought another to light and in hopes of getting views or even feedback I posted about it in the game's main channel. And then the ridicule began.

Why would people be afraid to have an opinion? Maybe the same reason why our streets are so dead.

Report Post Tip

If they have valid points why do they need to be anonymous?? Needing anonymity means you have something to hide. You have brought up many of your own valid points here very well, why do you feel you cannot do it in other threads without being anonymous?

Report Post Tip

It's as simple as.... if you want to make a suggestion, without everyone looking at you, send a message directly to an admin or really just post it here... eyes'll be on you, but we're generally friendly...

Do not blame the streets on people being afraid to speak. Tbh, it's a lack of incentive and laziness, but personally, I'm working on being more active myself... and you all should as well. It really is a major part of this game.... but we'll leave that for another discussion.

Report Post Tip

I can only speak for myself. I don't have anything to hide but if others feel safe posting anonymous, why not let them? Its only going to be in OOC and the game suggestions anyways.

Report Post Tip

In all honesty, I haven't even read this last page of posts. I got to the end of the second page and could just see myself reading the same thing over and over and over again, wasting time when I could be saying my piece on it, and hopefully trying to address a few things in the process.

It's a very simple suggestion, and people are blowing it WAY out of proportion. Listen carefully.

- It would only be allowed in the News/Announcements Forum. This means it would NOT be allowed in the Streets, OOC, Outside, Business District, Game Suggestions (although I think it wouldn't be too much of a big deal to include this one forum), Help Forum, or HQ Forum. - Any abuse would be reportable, and easily punished. First offense, Admin Wack. Second offense, banned. People will not abuse something that they are going to get banned for doing twice, users are NOT stupid, if they do it the first time, they are outed and will learn their lesson, to not do it again. If they do, bye bye, no more hassle, done. - Even more limitations in that new accounts would not be able to just sign up and spout shit anonymously, only players that have put at least 24 hours game time into their character (if possible this could be logged to see if they are actually doing anything, maybe include their Prowess has to be a certain percentage too?) - It is not a matter of 'filtering' or "if you can't say it without getting killed for it, you shouldn't say it." It has nothing to do with that, people do not want to give information about what they are doing on their character to people, just because they want to reply to a new game feature addition.

As a final point, as Michael said, it may bring people out of their shell, and allow them to post suggestions (if it were to be extended to this.) There could be some truly outstanding suggestions out there, but people don't want to come out and say it at fear of being ridiculed. (Yes, I admit I was one of the people against the suggestion being made yesterday, however that was a separate situation and I made myself clear on why I felt the way I did.)

All the people that are coming at this with a negative response, are trying to create negatives out of nothing, I understand you have an opinion, but at least make it educated, please?

Report Post Tip
PC-Pratster has sponsored this suggestion. This suggestion now has a total of 2 sponsors and will need 3 more sponsors in order to be submitted to the player commission forum.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Posting Anonymously
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL