Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 06:19:23
Page:  1 
An observation Started by: NYStripSteak on May 03, '13 14:22

Recently, and what seems like always, there are cries for more street presence. Contests advocating the telling of stories. Even the gods have intervened with their contests. People claim to want more street activity. Though when I go to the streets all I see is harassment. I understand the difference between intellectual conversation and blatant attacks. Here is an obvious example:

Not to contribute to this but you seem you have a talent for describing delicacies. If you ever find yourself straightening up and living a life of decency I may just have a job for you over at my shop. NY Meat. Your mouth and my meat are a perfect fit!

Reply by: NYStripSteak at May 02, '13 21:10

Started by PewPewBBQ on May 02, '13 17:41

While I must say that the original statement made by  PewPewBBQ coerced me into making such a comment I'm still guilty of exactly what creates the problem of which we seem to not be able to identify. WE ARE THE PROBLEM. We have allowed ourselfs to judge, ridicule, critique, and just out right embarrass those who do not fit our individual, extremely specific, views or opinions. This isn't to say that every comment is attacking a person or that honest debate isn't happening because it is. But the fact that our society allows individuals to be attacked for what they've said, when its an honest attempt at street presence is wrong. Obviously there are exceptions, the word troll comes to mind.

With all of that said I've come here to just remind everyone that society reflects who we are. We must be who we want our society to be. If we truly want more street presence then we must reward rather than ridicule.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $120,000 Tip

There are and always will be trolls I'm afraid. But I feel you have focused too much on the negative side here. There has been plenty of debate recently where the 2 sides were obviously fired up but it never resorted to slanging match. Just turn the pages and find out.

In certain situations, ridicule is helpful... I point you to the young Egg Man, Kuku-. He was ridiculed for a LONG time, then was challenged and has taken it up with gusto. Turned himself a half-respectable (come on, anyone who doesnt eat egg is just weird!) mobster.

I am guilty of ridiculing others, although it's usually their opinion I ridicule rather than just trolling. Most mobsters here are guilty of it come to think of it. Some a hell of a lot more than others.

Whitey has had some 'problems' with a couple of people recently and they're now just showing how bitter and sour those grapes are as they can't touch him now. He's a big boy and can handle the taunts they throw his way... I would imagine he may even have a little smirk on his face when they do it.

I feel you've tarred a whole lot of people here when there is only a minority who overtly troll. The majority of mafioso here can disagree with another and still respect them/their opinion enough to not to try to embarrass them.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

I may have misguided my intent when I used the word troll. I agree, I dont think trolls are the majority. Though, I do think that people ridiculing others based solely on their opinions isnt as drastic a minority as some want it to be or think it is.

When you disagree with someone you should always offer an alternative or advice. I frequently see people disagree and critique why its wrong but not offer a solution to how it can be right. Or criticize spelling, punctuation, or even the candor in which a person speaks.

Though, I will admit that this isnt the majority of the time but even if it prevents one person from going to the streets shouldn't there be something said or done?

Perhaps my opinions of this ridicule are over reactions of the minority and perhaps they are fears of by gone eras though I can't help but feel there is something proactive that can be done to inspire rather than sit idly by assuming others wont also feel the same way.

Report Post Tip

If that were the case then we would effectively be molly-coddling mobsters into thinking there aren't sharks out there. There ARE and its better to learn this before entering conversations. But the posters are there whether people reply or not... it only takes a small amount of research (read the threads on the first 2 pages) to get a good idea on how to carry yourself.

This is a TOUGH world we live in, let's not dance around it... embrace it.

However, I have to agree with you on the point of ridiculing people for their spelling and punctuation considering we're ACTUALLY speaking so how someone structures sentences or spells is relatively unimportant. It's what they are saying that matters, not how it is put across.

Report Post Tip
You have hit the proverbial nail right on the head with a fucking huge massive hammer NYStripSteak.

My bloodline has long said that the elite few jump on (Troll) a lot of people over pedantic, and stupid errors over and over again. Maybe now is the watershed when people who haven't developed the super thick skin, which was needed, will come to our streets and offer an opinion on subjects.

As I digress, one thing that always amused me was trolling and being pedantic was always the cheap excuse when said troll was losing a debate or argument.
Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I think you have provided a very valuable discussion to the Streets, so I'd like to address as much of your post as I can.

Recently, and what seems like always, there are cries for more street presence. Contests advocating the telling of stories. Even the gods have intervened with their contests. People claim to want more street activity.

I absolutely agree. I'm likely one of those people "crying" for more street presence.

Though when I go to the streets all I see is harassment. I understand the difference between intellectual conversation and blatant attacks.

I think while you may have a point in some regard, I disagree that "all you can see" is harassment. There are plenty of decent discussions, void of harassment or "trolling". The value that comes with discussions isn't in the original speech; it's in the responses each person provides. Discussion cultivates more discussion, until you can either come to a consensus or an unconditional disagreement. Even if only two or three individuals provide us with some talking points, that can provide days of friendly colloquy before the point is settled.

While I must say that the original statement made by  PewPewBBQ coerced me into making such a comment I'm still guilty of exactly what creates the problem of which we seem to not be able to identify. WE ARE THE PROBLEM. We have allowed [ourselves] to judge, ridicule, critique, and just out right embarrass those who do not fit our individual, extremely specific, views or opinions... But the fact that our society allows individuals to be attacked for what they've said, when its an honest attempt at street presence is wrong. Obviously there are exceptions, the word troll comes to mind.

I think this stems from an erroneous generalization of the Streets. PewPewBBQ is an anomaly, and cases like that can be handled very easily: ignore them. Outside of PewPew, I can't really find a case where responses were discouraged, or at worst "embarrassed". I think labeling the Streets this way is detrimental, as there's no reason for people to be afraid of speaking their mind, so long as they do it respectfully. Some of us don't even use English as our first language, so I don't think anyone is truly in a position to judge you based on how you word your thoughts.

That being said, you can put plenty of effort into your speeches and responses to make them a bit easier on the eyes. If you put in the effort to make your thoughts look and sound good (and I'm positive your leader or sponsor would love to help you do this), the only thing you should be judged on is content. When it comes to the content of a speech, or the central point you're trying to make, it's important to critique and judge their reasoning. That's why they brought it to the Streets; for the world to see and improve on it. As long as that's the mentality you adopt when you approach the Streets, you'll do just fine.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $40,000 Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An observation
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL