Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 03:48:16
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Is it disrespectful? Started by: blink on May 19, '13 13:59

I was debating whether or not to wait until i had the additional security and weight behind my words afforded to me from being in a family before i made this speech, but then i figured, fuck it.

I'm walking along the streets and i look up and down every man, woman and child i see. Checking out their suit, what it says and what it represents. Now one thing that irks me with some of the peoples suits i have seen, this idea of them still thinking about or in some cases still caring about the families their fathers or mothers were in.  

In my opinion if you are so inclined to represent your family on your suit, i know in some families this is mandatory, why on earth would you ever have words on their such as "thinking about insert previous family name" or "product of insert other family name." Surely this should be ringing off alarm bells for the their crew leaders, i know it certainly would if i was one, why would i want someone in my family that is even thinking about another family, how can i ever trust that this crew they are in will be the first priority? 

Perhaps i'm just being petty, what do you fellows think?

Hands out mandatory cigars and the such and waits for other views

Report Post Tip
I personally think it depends on exactly what message the person is trying to send. For Instance, if it says in my quote:

Personally I see nothing wrong with this, Mudkip is dead, he's no threat to the current establishment, chances are neither am I.

On the other hand if I had something like this:

Then that may be more cause for alarm, and obvious disrespect to one's current family. A simple memorandum to ones forefather's family can actually be a good thing, proving that the member in question is capable of respect and of learning from someone.
Report Post Tip
Hmmm, not sure what happened there, the two examples should be:

In memory of Mudkip

And

Forever loyal to DeadlySin

Rather than two horizontal lines.
Report Post Tip

No.

I couldn't disagree more, these peoples parents served that family. So they was born and raised to love and respect that family. Just because their mother/father died along with the family it doesn't mean they should forget where they are coming from.

'Ndrangheta taught me everything I need to know about surviving in this life, Lady-Fighter used to look after me when my dad had to go out and do business. They made me the man I am today, so I will forever be in their debt for that. Does this mean I have any less respect for my current family? They have given me a home and was very welcoming, they provide me with help when I need it. They have my back and I have theirs.

Why can't I be loyal to a family, and love a family... Whilst also remembering where I came from? So, all I have to say to you is simple.

NEVER forget where your came from!

Report Post Tip
I don't see there being a problem when you indicate who your previous family served under. It may always be in your blood.

Family heads have been around long enough to realise that each time a new spawn of that family is born, it represents a clean slate, at least they should do.

If the crew leader had a real issue with the guy/gal then I'm sure a few choice words or discussions would take place.

Have to agree with the above poster. Never forget your roots.
Report Post Tip

I don't have Dunder Mifflin Paper Company written on my suit anymore, but I will always remember the times spent there. Personally I find it disrespectful to forget about your previous family, especially if that's the family that brought you into this thing of ours. I will repeat what No and Jack Carter have said: Never forget your roots!

Report Post Tip

I think it's not so much a matter of respect but it's just stupid to have a family name from a bygone era in your profile. Your current family deserves to not have to share space with the name of some defunct group just because your parents had a good time there. If the sins of a father are to be forgotten when his son shows up on these shores it's not too much to ask those sons (and daughters) to put down their parents journals and focus on their current crews and writing their own journals.

Report Post Tip

Nah, it really isn't disrespectful, per se. Maybe it's a mild irritation at times to a few crew leaders when they see these tattoos because they may feel that their leadership will always be compared with the leadership from the tattoos. Then again, maybe that is a good thing, knowing that you're under constant scrutiny and that every decision you take will be measured against a yard stick.

Further, the people who have these kinds of tattoos, it is usually because their parents served those Families. So, these mobsters were brought up surrounded by that Family and maybe they wished that a time would come when they could join the ranks of aforementioned Family. I for instance always dreamt about the day when Pops would decide he'd had enough of the Mob and would probably fly away with some bimbo so that I could take his place in The Lights Out Syndicate. Of course, I do not have the tattoo to shout it out to the world but it always was a desire of mine. I was brought up surrounded by the members of that syndicate. They were my role models and almost all of them taught me something about how to handle myself in this Thing Of Ours.  

It's just the way things are.

However, I can understand where you are coming from. Alliances to a long gone Family could confuse loyalties in either a war or rogue situation. Someone might be tempted to jump ship because a kid they grew up with in the old Family is on the other side or is plowing his/her way through mobsters. Well, as for that, it's the duty of their current crew leaders to forge a bond with their members so that they would not stoop to such lows. After all, if someone who died some time ago could build such a grand relationship with your member, what's stopping you, a live and powerful mobster in your prime from doing the same?

Report Post Tip

DocHolliday, I fail to understand what you are saying. I am not just remembering that family from my fathers journal. I of course was born before my father died, therefore I grew up surrounded by the 'Ndrangheta famiy. 

It is far from just a journal, it is where I was raised. I would hate to believe it upsets my family leader that I have 'Ndrangheta in my quote, but I am sure he knows why it is there, and he is very understanding and respects my choice to remember where I came from. My family is who I am loyal too. 'Ndrangeta is where I came from. It is simple as that and I want people to know that.

Report Post Tip

DocHolliday... What makes you think the people with the old Family names aren't focusing on their current Families? Do you have some sort of data to back it up? Are there crew leaders complaining that money is being sent to the account of a ghost rather than their own? Are people shooting at the orders of someone other than their crew leader? I didn't think so.

It's just a bit of nostalgia. Remembering what once was and probably never will be again.

Report Post Tip

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with a member showing love or a memory of a family. It shows in a way that the mafioso has a sense of loyalty.

Hopefully the new family they are working for can build just a bond with that mafioso as their fathers had once built with that memory.

There is certainly much more other ways for leaders to determine their members loyalty then just their tattoo's.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I was speaking strictly about sons and daughters of the deceased coming to these shores and displaying the family name that their parents were in. I don't have a problem with leaving your past crew name in if you were in a crew and your crew leader met an untimely demise and forced you to move to a new crew. It seems rather unrealistic to me for anyone to tout a crew they did not actually have any contact with themselves simply because their relative was in it.

Report Post Tip

A young slender man casually walks by the small gathering of  crowd and overhears the conversation, he stops and ponders the thought of how he feels

Just weighing in here, I personally think its a 50/50 thing 

"wearing armband for the bloodhound gang"

Now obviously its just a sign of respect and rememberance, that I can agree with, but along the lines of

" 100% alliance to the brother hood " just an example now that raise question to is this fellow gonna be loyal to me when things go south? Will they stand unwavered bymy side? or will they contribute to your demise by following attention elsewhere? It can at some point be alarming and disrespectful depending on the wording.

This also opens a second point It is also the leads responsibility along with the family as a whole to make sure they are worth being loyal to.

the young man takes the cigar forced upon him in lights it up bellowing a cloud out into the air.

Report Post Tip

Oh, only they DID have contact with the Family. They were brought up surrounded by that Family and I don't see anything wrong in being nostalgic about something they wanted to work for at a particular point, maybe later on in life.You seem to think that a Family is just a crew, where we all work together for making money and to get the most number of Body Guards for the hitters. I, and I am sure quite a lot of people will agree with me, believe that a Family is so much more. It is a group of people who work together, sure.

However, we don't just make money together, do we? We forge relationships. We make friends. Friendships and relationships which will stand the test of time. What is wrong with a polite shout-out to your friends? Nobody walks around saying 'I would ditch my crew for the ghost of someone who I looked up to in my formative years'...

Report Post Tip

DocHolliday are you forgetting the fact that all members of a bloodline share one same soul?

Report Post Tip

I do not think in anyway it is disrespectful to your crew leader, if anything you are being open with your new crew leader about your past and showing just how loyal of a member you are. If someone was really going to try and rank up in your family then break it up from the inside, i am pretty sure that person would not go shouting about it on their profile.

However, i do see your point, but if the crew leader does not like this action, they will have to talk to the member individually, if they refuse to remove the badge / armband from their suit then it is upto the leader if this member is truly going to be loyal or not.

People grow into their families, when they are new the thoughts of their parents, aunts, uncles are at the front of their minds, and they want to grieve, but with time they should come to love their family. Alsong as their bloodline is a loyal one, ad they enjoy their time with the family, I'm pretty sure their bloodline kin will have their own badge representing what their father did.

Report Post Tip

Oh, only they DID have contact with the Family. They were brought up surrounded by that Family and I don't see anything wrong in being nostalgic about something they wanted to work for at a particular point, maybe later on in life.You seem to think that a Family is just a crew, where we all work together for making money and to get the most number of Body Guards for the hitters. I, and I am sure quite a lot of people will agree with me, believe that a Family is so much more. It is a group of people who work together, sure.

However, we don't just make money together, do we? We forge relationships. We make friends. Friendships and relationships which will stand the test of time. What is wrong with a polite shout-out to your friends? Nobody walks around saying 'I would ditch my crew for the ghost of someone who I looked up to in my formative years'...

This line of thinking is exactly what has been the problem around this place for a long time and has greatly contributed to it's problems. First of all if your son is currently surrounded by your Family you probably don't want to come out here and admit that as I think the Gods would probably have a problem with that. We're all only allowed one member of our bloodline on these shores at a time.

Then there is this idea of friends. We all work closely with other people in our crew and often great friendships are formed which is admirable and positive aspect. It makes our time here more enjoyable and makes people more likely to remain active and loyal. I am not trying to discourage it. However our way of life dictates that when we die our next of kin starts anew. Friendships forged with bloodlines should be left to the coffee shops of the afterlife. That's been a major problem in this thing of ours. People who can't separate themselves from their bloodline's relationships and that's what wearing the tag of your parent's old crew indicates. Quite frankly I wouldn't blame any leader who was wary of accepting anyone who displays the inability to separate themselves from their bloodline's relationships.

Report Post Tip

I can see where it could cause some concern. However I feel the same way BrickTop feels about this. It really shows that this person comes from a line that is very loyal. So if you treat them as good as their journals say they were treated by such and such. Maybe one day you will be a living memory. Also Gwen touched on a good point. I guess it all depends how the wording is as well.

Report Post Tip

DocHolliday... Are you suggesting people have kids AFTER they die? I am pretty sure my father had me before he died, that is how things work.

I was born, and until the age of 14 I was raised in the 'Ndrangheta head quarters. Then due to a war they died, very unfortunate but life goes on. It is then I decided I want to find myself a family. Subtle was kind enough to take me in and look after me. For that, I will forever be in his debt and I will respect him at all times. 

Report Post Tip

No people have children that stay in the old country when they come to these shores. That is how it always was and always will be. It's the law of the Gods. I weep for the state of this thing of ours when people run around acting like they have multiple lives.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Is it disrespectful?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL