Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 05:20:40
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
WHY is it so important? Started by: Orithyia on Aug 07, '13 10:23

Good morning world!

I'm here today as something has been irritating me a little since my boss blessed me with my lofty position as head of a family. Since going bold I have a received a hefty bag of mail from the postman every day. A lot was the usual stuff, invite requests, conversing with family and friends, some mails digging for info on a recent murder. However, there has been a swell of another kind of mail, of which I'll give you examples of below...

Are you XxXxX?

You are XxXxX!

Why didnt you tell me you were XxXxX?!

OMGHAI XxXxX!!

I don't get the importance of people knowing my bloodline. I'm actually quite offended by some of it if I'm honest... some of you are basically calling me a liar. It wouldn't be so bad but some of the names of bloodlines being thrown at me are way off! =/

What difference does a person's bloodline make on their current living family member? Isn't it more important what they're currently doing rather than what their ancestors were doing? Is it going to offend you if they don't tell you who their parents were?

Surely, all that is important is that I look after my boss, Subtle, our allies and my own family to the best of my abilities while ensuring my family don't step out of line? What else matters?

It's a worrying trend considering a lot of these mails are coming from people in bold or hand positions.

(OOC: If someone wants to incog, why cant they be allowed to do that?)

Report Post Tip

Interesting, after our mobmail correspondence this goes live. Let me be the first to reply.
A few weeks ago you made it very clear we knew each other, well goddamn some healthy curiosity. 

Everyone has the right to play incog, hell I even support it. But then drop the " you'll find out when I'm bold probably " mystery act.

Amazed you're so annoyed by people being curious and instead of addressing that in a mobmail taking it to the streets for a rant. Maybe you're not from the bloodline who I think you were, maybe you are. Consider me no longer caring. 

Goodluck to you, Orithyia

Report Post Tip

Penquin. the timing is a complete coincidence in that this morning was the only time I've had enough time to talk about the subject properly (I actually wrote this out last night and backspaced it away! grrrr!).

You were just the last person to do it so it may seem this is aimed at you, but others were far more... to put it nicely 'persistant'. Amazed I'm so annoyed? At basically being called a liar by some people? Damn right I'm annoyed!

The sheer number brought me out here rather than a specific person. Curiousity is fine, but when someone doesn't want to reveal, that should be the end of it.

I'm amazed you no longer care considering your name wasn't even mentioned. You did that, not me.

Report Post Tip

Good day to you Orithyia.

To be honest, I am not surprised that people would want to know who your ancestors were. When you have a position such as the one you are in, I think people's curiosity gets the best of them and they want to know as much of your past as possible, especially when we have questionable characters in these parts that keep a low profile so that people don't learn about their past tendencies.

Surely, all that is important is that I look after my boss, Subtle, our allies and my own family to the best of my abilities while ensuring my family don't step out of line? What else matters?

All of those things are important. But I think it's also important that people are reassured in some way of how you (or another new person in a bold suit) will act. That's not saying people can't change their current behavior for better or worse, because even though we are the product of our bloodlines, we aren't always going to do exactly what they have done.

I am sorry that people have given you a hard time over this matter.

Report Post Tip

Well, considering that I am also someone who has tried, repeatedly, I might add, to find out who you are. I'll be the third to respond. I don't clearly remember whether it was me or my father you spoke to Orithiya, but there is a journal entry in the the eerily similar handwriting that we share that goes ' Orithiya says she knows me and that she is from a bloodline I know. MUST FIND OUT WHO'. My blood didn't care who the then Right Hand Woman of Subtle descended from, until we were contacted saying 'Oh, I know you. Don't you want to know who I am?' Maybe you got a few kicks out of it, maybe not. I really don't care. Now it doesn't matter which bloodline you descend from, it really doesn't, but can I help being curious? No, I really can't. 

Now, if you have been offended by my 'persistent' attempts to try to find out whether or not you come from a bloodline I consider to be pretty good friends of my own, forgive me and my insane amount of curiosity.

Moving on, yes, people should be allowed to play 'incog'( which I assume is what the kids have always been calling it) but I don't see any indication here of you NOT being 'allowed' to refuse details about your family. A simple 'No, I really don't want to tell you who my daddy or mommy was' would have dissuaded all but the most persistent 'truth seekers'. You are being 'allowed' to play 'incog', so I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to 'bust incogs'. That is precisely what they(we?) are trying to do. Was their attitude toward your in any business related matters different because they didn't know who you are? Did they not invite you to OCs because they didn't know who you are? Did they kick sand in your eyes, refuse to play with you, kicked you off the swing and call you ugly because they didn't know who you are? I highly doubt it.

Now moving onto the importance that people seem to attach to bloodlines, I think I don't need to say much more than 'WideAwake'. Hopefully, you understand what I mean.

(OOC: You wanna play incog. I wanna bust incogs. Why can't I be allowed to do that?)

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

I have to admit, I was one of those people enquiring about your bloodline, Orithyia. I wouldn't describe my enquiries as persistent or long winded, however there was definitely some curiosity.

The reason? Basically to find middle ground. If I didn't know your bloodline, then fine. I'll leave it at that, introduce myself and congratulate you. However, if by chance you are related to certain individuals, the my senses were correct all along and you have basically confirmed you wish to remain a mystery. Of course you don't have to tell me or any of these people anything, but the reasons for my curiosity are nothing to do with the way you or I do business.

(OOC: It was really mainly to say Hi and reminisce)

Apologies if you are offended ma'am, I think the world will probably back off now due to your public display of disapproval.

Jack tips his hat to Orithyia, and glares at her one final time, like he was trying to find the final piece to a jigsaw...

Report Post Tip

I can understand you being annoyed at being called a Liar, but then I can understand persons asking you whom your related to.

If you recall, when I entered this thing of ours a couple of months ago you approached me and asked me virtually the same thing. When we conversed and I asked if I knew you, as you gave the impression I should, you dodged the subject and said "all would become clear"... Well, nothing has ever became clear because I lost interest right then.

The only person I've had experience of making a deal over your identity, is you. I'm disappointed you have had people calling you a liar, but these things are bound to happen when some shrouds themselves in mystery.

Now back to the main point; I'm with Jack Carter on the bloodline query. If I ask someone whom they are related to, its not because I want to vet them or make sure I don't associate with certain bloodlines, or even to give favours based on a bloodline, I simply enquire to check if our paths have crossed so that I may be able to relate to you in a more personal level if we've been there before.

Report Post Tip

Which is why I wouldn't include you in the irritating category, Ms. Worley. You asked, I teased a little but didn't let up and you left it at that.

That is completely fair.

I'm not entirely sure how what you see in regards to people making a deal out of my identity has any bearing on this, other than a veiled cheap shot. Of course you won't have seen it, that's plainly obvious for everyone to see... you don't have access to my inbox.

I could see from your mails Alabama that you were curious... but that's where it ended. You didn't push it and I appreciated that.

Almost all of the replies so far here have admitted to asking, there are more who wont have seen this yet and more who wont admit it. So please use your imagination when it comes to the volume of mail I've been getting. I couldn't deal with the amount anymore so I brought it into the public eye to try to put a stop to it.

Report Post Tip

It wasn't intended as a cheap shot, but I can appreciate how that could have been viewed that way.

What I meant was; if you personally make your own identity a big deal, then others are sure to do so too. Thus, I agree its unfair you are effectively called a liar, but I feel that part of the situation is caused by your choice to dance around the subject. Its almost like a tease really.

Though i'm not sure that street speaking will satate peoples desire to know more about your bloodline, if anything its simply made me more curious so i'm sure others are likely to feel the same, but at least I hope you achieve the desired effect that your mailbox begins to receive less obtrusive mails on the matter.

Report Post Tip
Allow me to speak to you all high and powerful bold suit wearing people. No one cares about who you are they care about what you do. Be memorable or be another crew leader that isn't remembered by his own crew.
Report Post Tip

Thank you for that comment Falcon, however if you'd read what I originally said and the consequent replies you would notice your statement is incorrect.

Next time you read something of mine half-arsed, be sure not to use a generic sweeping statement that offers nothing towards the conversation or just do not reply at all please.

Report Post Tip
To be honest, do you think by letting this “problem”, I say problem, when in my humble opinion I see it as a futile argument, or as it would look like, a few futile arguments , seep into the streets instead of your own personal, private mailbox that it would put an end to it? Then, if I may, that’s a deluded approach; surely you must understand it does the opposite. 

You must see that all it does is add food for thought for the people who, to put it blatant, don’t give a fuck, could now possibly, give a fuck, me included. Also you’re a cl of this world, you lead the way, start revolutions, people are bound to be interested, I don’t understand why this would offend you, and does it not come with the territory of wearing that shiny, bold suit. 

Again I’m lost, if the goal was to eradicate such behaviour you would bring it further to light, the whole thing is massively lost on me, respectively of course.
Report Post Tip

Orithyia by you coming out here I would imagine even more people will be trying to find out who your bloodline is.

Once you reach a position of power people will want to know who you are, what your history is. Have you been a loose canon the list is endless. If you have gone about privately and said to people things that suggest that your bloodlines have crossed previously they will start talking and then more and more people will start talking and names will be getting thrown about all over the place.

<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)">If you wanted to be incog you shouldn't of gone round surrounding yourself with mystery. My bloodline has </font>experience<font color="rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)"> in being incog and I found the best way was tell a few trusted people who you are and don't say to people "don't you want to know who I am" oh and stay out the coffee shops.</font>

Report Post Tip
You'll go down in history as another nameless bold suit surrounded by a small army of useless bodyguards. That's not a general sweeping statement but the solid truth. You clearly like people wanting to know who you are, otherwise you wouldn't have wasted your time speaking to us. Ill tell you exactly when people will give a shit about whom you are. It's that moment when you do something memorable or life changing. I stand confinement in the statement that said moment will never occur.
Report Post Tip

It's easy to criticise someone from your position falcon. You have very little to lose.

I could also say that you will be some no-name to die in a war or a random wack, one who will never do anything life changing, but still constantly there sharing your bleak world view.

Report Post Tip

Falcon, that's a pretty harsh and generalized statement, and dare I say a bit disrespectful speaking to a crewleader in that way. 

The true fact of the matter is, we will never know which leaders or what events people will remember, because memories are personal.

I think this is a good topic to talk about - how much should we know about other people's pasts? Does the fact that they are in a bold suit automatically disqualify them for their right to privacy? Should people be upset if others show disappointment in them declining to share what they feel is personal information?

Report Post Tip

Falcon, that's a pretty harsh and generalized statement, and dare I say a bit disrespectful speaking to a crewleader in that way. 

It was a generalized statement, as you said. It wasn't aimed at Orithyia specifically but based on the situation.

Report Post Tip

You'll go down in history as another nameless bold suit surrounded by a small army of useless bodyguards. That's not a general sweeping statement but the solid truth. You clearly like people wanting to know who you are, otherwise you wouldn't have wasted your time speaking to us.

That sounds geared towards a certain person...note the "you" and the "us" that is used. 

Report Post Tip

Blaise like I have said before once someone comes into a position of power, people will want to know what their history is to get an insight into how their mind works.

For example the if Orithyia was from the bloodline of Grin, leaders would watch them more closely as Grin has a tendency to rebel against the powerhouse of 'this thing of ours' I am not saying that Grin and Orithiya are from the same bloodline just so that is clear.

Report Post Tip

G_man if you had heard what I said before, you would have heard me say similarly. 

All of those things are important. But I think it's also important that people are reassured in some way of how you (or another new person in a bold suit) will act. That's not saying people can't change their current behavior for better or worse, because even though we are the product of our bloodlines, we aren't always going to do exactly what they have done.

Just because I am not using the same tone as a few other people have used in this conversation, doesn't mean I don't see and agree to a degree where they are coming from.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: WHY is it so important?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL