Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 20:46:32
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Auth and Why You Are Getting It Started by: DeadlySpikeS on Dec 26, '13 22:59

"...the 'traditional way.'"

DeadlySpikeS "winks"

1) “You're male.” Think about how few female mobsters there are in this world. I'll be honest I don't have any hard facts to back this up with but I'm positive that being female puts you in a lesser position to receive auth slower within this world and I bet a high percentage of the females in this world aren't crew leaders when correlated to the male population. Men might be suckers for women (or most are) and generally will do anything to ensure their female friends are happy, but they aren't always so stupid to give them power without reason. “Remember the late great TeQ bloodline aka Orithyia.” His leader knew who he was when he authed him. Let's not kid ourselves. However, there are exceptions to this rule. There are women who are given it solely because they are women, but the number is so small that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As for those women, they’re generally not respected. There’s no reason to give them respect unless they actually prove themselves worthy, but they should not be a reason to stereotype female leaders as being unworthy overall. This world is sexist enough. We can easily site several female mobsters who have more than proven themselves as useful in this world. I personally can cite several males in the past who have tarnished the ranks above Made, but why are we not discussing poor male leadership placement... I did that once before. 

2) “You're too active.” Generally, if you’re around, you are more likely to get auth because you’re filling certain quotas. If you want to cite inactive leaders, then you have to remember the situations that created them. However, inactive leaders do not stay alive for too long. It should be understood though that if a leader seems inactive, there’s still a good chance they are keeping up to date on things by other means or more importantly they have a good person under them who is able to take the reins while they’re unable.

3) I would argue that the best leaders are "short spoken, but speak well." They may have the ability to speak, but they choose not to flood the streets with trash. They talk to who they need to, when they need to. The best leaders know how to speak though when needed. Usually the worst leaders are the ones that speak far too much, and usually in an offensive way. If a leader is completely silent, then yeah, there's something wrong, but that can be said about anyone.

4) “Your gun sucks.” Some of the best leaders don’t always have the best guns; they just have leadership capabilities. Over time, they are able to build a cannon, but for the most part they are using their time on handling day to day business that the people under them are not. Sometimes, they’re given auth due to nepotism from their father’s work, and are playing catch up… but that’s another story. If anything, leaders need the gun boost more than others to compensate for this. A hitsquad leader, chosen under them, usually is able to keep a good army of soldiers ready, and usually the leader has a decent gun when needed. Depending on the climate of the auth, leaders can be mediocre gun wise, but they have expertise elsewhere, and I will get to that point soon. There are just some excuses, but generally your gun doesn't always matter; that was my point.

5) If your line has been authed before, there’s a good chance your son will get it again. However, if your father fucked up? No. Being a crewleader is about being responsible. If your father was a bad leader, yeah, they’re not going to risk it again on you. It depends on what the people want, what the person authing wants. It's all luck. That's why most people with a poor history try to lurk in the darkness. I'd rather see what a new person does than have a repeat.

6) Finally, the most important reason you would get authed is due to "friendships and alliances." Good leaders aren't people who don’t know people. I’m not even really referring to nepotism. I’m saying that generally, if a person is liked, they’re going to get somewhere at some point. It isn't always auth, but this world comes down to respect. A good leader has friends all over; he has intel and know-how of the world. He has a good view of the world he has built up over time, and he has people with him who share his ideals. This is why generally new people aren't set up. However, there are new people who have proved to be outliers due to general capabilities in getting along with people by not being abrasive, building guns sometimes, earning, and making friends quickly. Generally, if you’re an interesting character, you might just end up bold, but make sure that if you want an enduring legacy, then you have people you consider loyal friends. As a Godfather, most times it’s best to auth people that you actually trust, and not just someone who might not share your interests. Chances are taken, but as a leader authing someone, they know the risks, usually.

Now, don’t let these parameters feel like they’re holding you back if you’re not authed yet. There’s a good chance you just might be. If you feel you’re deficient in some of what has been said here, then you may want to work on it. However, do refrain from judging people for their sex, and from taking credence from silly shock-jock speeches who just simply are trying to get an audience for their own selfish pleasures.

DeadlySpikeS sits back and goes back to his normal duties.

Report Post Tip
Im getting it because Im in with the cool crowd and my friends are going to auth me. Because thats what friends do, friends auth friends, regardless of experience, knowledge, or being capable of leading anyone!
Report Post Tip

Yes, Ragnarok. That's exactly it. Thank you. 

Report Post Tip
You're welcome Godfather Spike. I appreciate someone agreeing with my points. It is refreshing and a real treat. Thank you for making my evening good sir.
Report Post Tip

Let's see how seriously people take parts of this. It shall be fun, my fair Ragnarok. People like satire so it was nice to blend it with some truths. 

Report Post Tip

5) If your line has been authed before, there’s a good chance your son will get it again. However, if your father fucked up? No. Being a crewleader is about being responsible. If your father was a bad leader, yeah, they’re not going to risk it again on you. It depends on what the people want, what the person authing wants. It's all luck. That's why most people with a poor history try to lurk in the darkness. I'd rather see what a new person does than have a repeat.

Not entirely true, screw ups have been authed multiple times. I can cite myself for example. I screwed up my auth in Las Vegas during the first contest out there. A few months later I was given another chance at a bold suit. My prior screw ups didnt phase my promotion what so ever.

Report Post Tip

Oh yeah I know. Fuckups get authed again... usually when other fuckups are authed. :)

"It depends on what the people want, what the person authing wants. It's all luck. That's why most people with a poor history try to lurk in the darkness." (waiting to rise up, or for their friends too). 

Report Post Tip

1) “You're male.” Think about how few female mobsters there are in this world. I'll be honest I don't have any hard facts to back this up with but I'm positive that being female puts you in a lesser position to receive auth slower within this world and I bet a high percentage of the females in this world aren't crew leaders when correlated to the male population. Men might be suckers for women (or most are) and generally will do anything to ensure their female friends are happy, but they aren't always so stupid to give them power without reason. “Remember the late great TeQ bloodline aka Orithyia.” His leader knew who he was when he authed him. Let's not kid ourselves. However, there are exceptions to this rule. There are women who are given it solely because they are women, but the number is so small that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As for those women, they’re generally not respected. There’s no reason to give them respect unless they actually prove themselves worthy, but they should not be a reason to stereotype female leaders as being unworthy overall. This world is sexist enough. We can easily site several female mobsters who have more than proven themselves as useful in this world. I personally can cite several males in the past who have tarnished the ranks above Made, but why are we not discussing poor male leadership placement... I did that once before. 

WhereWasI sighs,

"When you make statements of this nature... you give some form of validity to the man you are trying to mock. Who were these female Crew Leaders who got it only because they were female? I'd like specifics or a statement of your lack of specifics to show he was being an idiot and you can't even think of one. I guess I just wanna make sure these accusations that appear to be targeting people who have never existed are targeting real people."

2) “You're too active.” Generally, if you’re around, you are more likely to get auth because you’re filling certain quotas. If you want to cite inactive leaders, then you have to remember the situations that created them. However, inactive leaders do not stay alive for too long. It should be understood though that if a leader seems inactive, there’s still a good chance they are keeping up to date on things by other means or more importantly they have a good person under them who is able to take the reins while they’re unable.

"What are these quotas? When you come out with broad sweeping statements and no specifics it makes me question 'why would one say such a thing without citing even a general definition especially when all the terms listed in this very debate show very little specifics other than having lots of friends which we all know isn't the only way to become a CL?' and I'm honestly just curious to hear the answer given your opinion on point number 4."

3) I would argue that the best leaders are "short spoken, but speak well." They may have the ability to speak, but they choose not to flood the streets with trash. They talk to who they need to, when they need to. The best leaders know how to speak though when needed. Usually the worst leaders are the ones that speak far too much, and usually in an offensive way. If a leader is completely silent, then yeah, there's something wrong, but that can be said about anyone.

"I would argue that the worst leaders are the ones that let the streets die. The streets used to be the lifeblood of this thing of ours and the flourishes of activity in the streets and money making aspects seem to be linked to larger total members working in the mob families, meaning that our influence was increased in this country. Killing those who would speak against you or your opinion was a common tactic of Godfather Roman and I damn his memory for that and attempting to ban certain bloodlines to this day. There were rumors of a group specifically kept in his corner to verbally attack any who would speak against him in any way shape or form and it seemed that many a leader died for speaking their mind. This policy of killing those who disagree with your words seemed to have stuck in people's minds so much that my journals indicate the streets have slowly and steadily lost activity with each and every passing year since as more leaders seem to die for that very reason."

4) “Your gun sucks.” Some of the best leaders don’t always have the best guns; they just have leadership capabilities. Over time, they are able to build a cannon, but for the most part they are using their time on handling day to day business that the people under them are not. Sometimes, they’re given auth due to nepotism from their father’s work, and are playing catch up… but that’s another story. If anything, leaders need the gun boost more than others to compensate for this. A hitsquad leader, chosen under them, usually is able to keep a good army of soldiers ready, and usually the leader has a decent gun when needed. Depending on the climate of the auth, leaders can be mediocre gun wise, but they have expertise elsewhere, and I will get to that point soon. There are just some excuses, but generally your gun doesn't always matter; that was my point.

"Let's be honest, it's pathetic if you can't build a gun at a decent pace in today's age of MIAs and Durdens for target practice. If you can't hit a certain number in kills per month, I believe you're not dedicated at all and a lack of dedication sounds like a horrible quality in a leader. Living to a long age to get a gun shouldn't be a quality substitute, but it is after a certain point so I'll concede there is some validity to building a canon by just avoiding death rather than actively pursuing the skill. Chalking up not shooting to 'Day to Day' business is a terrible excuse in my book."

"Ooh! And the reason I chose to speak gets its turn! What qualifies a previous experience as up to par? Because I personally believe my bloodline's one run at Crew Leader was successful but I probably have drastically different terms for defining success and I'm curious what it takes to be considered up to par."

6) Finally, the most important reason you would get authed is due to "friendships and alliances." Good leaders aren't people who don’t know people. I’m not even really referring to nepotism. I’m saying that generally, if a person is liked, they’re going to get somewhere at some point. It isn't always auth, but this world comes down to respect. A good leader has friends all over; he has intel and know-how of the world. He has a good view of the world he has built up over time, and he has people with him who share his ideals. This is why generally new people aren't set up. However, there are new people who have proved to be outliers due to general capabilities in getting along with people by not being abrasive, building guns sometimes, earning, and making friends quickly. Generally, if you’re an interesting character, you might just end up bold, but make sure that if you want an enduring legacy, then you have people you consider loyal friends. As a Godfather, most times it’s best to auth people that you actually trust, and not just someone who might not share your interests. Chances are taken, but as a leader authing someone, they know the risks, usually.

"Doesn't this sound like the good old boys system is in place? Are we really so okay with that that it's acceptable to speak about it in public? Why does someone have to have lots of friends to be a good auth, and require the trust of their Godfather? Shouldn't the trust and respect be enough? I also consider myself an interesting character bloodline with loyal friends, should I really be required to lean on those friendships? Am I not expected to be capable of doing what I was selected to do without using those friendships? There are many ways to be a good leader, and I'll happily volunteer previous members of my bloodline as not having many friends or alliances but still doing fine. They were only in hand positions, but there was no hesitation or regret from putting them there by those that did and I do believe my journals show the first official Cory_Chase ran a crew with very little experience or alliances and he did a fine job given the situation he was in. Maybe the reason people like him are outliers is because so many who get into power are relying on the good old boys system. Maybe it's time to start questioning the system given the lesser levels of activity in our streets and the correlation between that and general member moneymaking (activity... looking at just money making will obviously hurt my case because of new features but I don't how else to put that in a remotely RP sense)."

"Maybe I'm just challenging you to see how far I can push my luck on anyone willing to come to the streets as an example for others that not only can a member question those above them, but they should if they have a point, like the streets are meant for people to challenge each other mentally and display thought processes to be compared and contrasted publicly. Like it should be expected for a leader to be able to swiftly and intelligently answer a question with a valid point."

Report Post Tip

Only others can determine if your bloodline was successful at leadership. And if I may interject, lately the streets have been very active. 

My bloodline came to this shore less then a year ago. Yet I have now got a Bold Suit. Do I have powerful friends? Yes I do. But I'll be damned if anyone else comes by and says that I have not earned it.

And by the looks of all this and what you've said. It just gives me the impression you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Report Post Tip

"The streets used to be much more active according to my journals and I doubt many will say I didn't have a hand in spiking that very recent street activity."

"The bold came from a competition. I give you no credit for that and I say you haven't earned it here and now as I have before to anyone in that competition."

"I have a point... it's not my duty to spell out the meaning behind the questions so I need a reason to present my reasoning for asking."

Report Post Tip

Did it really come from a Competition though. Ask yourself this. At the end of the Competition I was 5th and not tied at 4th after 20mins later I was. It was over and decided yet, they decided to still allow me there I was not tied when the competition ended only afterwards, yet, I was allowed to still set up.

Now if that had been the case to other people. It might of actually ended differently. Cantona could of said "When it ended at that time you were not tied at Forth so I will not allow you to set up"

That could of happened but it didn't. Why? I believe that it is respect and that Cantona amongst other Crew Leaders have seen that I have worked hard throughout my bloodlines and deserved this opportunity. 

Report Post Tip

"That sounds like not only a competition, but a technicality in a competition. You're only drowning your case. I don't care what your prior bloodline did, I care what you did, and I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by needing a competition nor will I pretend."

Report Post Tip

Aren't we all just competing against each other in the end of the day? That's how this life is, competing, rising and potentially falling.

Report Post Tip

"Aren't you just playing with words to make something of little value sound like it has great value?"

Report Post Tip

Only you can decide the value of something. Not anyone else. If I value something then it is worth it to me, if someone else doesn't then it's not to them, but still to me.

Report Post Tip

"Correct, but when you say 'But I'll be damned if anyone else comes by and says that I have not earned it' you're implying that you won't let anyone openly admit to having a negative opinion of the position you've acquired or the means of getting it, and I simply believe you have no grounds for stopping me from stating an opinion."

Report Post Tip

Everyone has negative opinions but I know I've worked for it. Competition or not I earned this spot. I earned this suit. You barely know me and of me so of course you'll have mostly negative opinions. 

If someone thinks that I am a bad Leader by all means they can tell me so but they'll need to say a proper form of opinion why I am not a good Leader otherwise I'll wipe it under a rug.

Report Post Tip

"Okay... as someone who doesn't know you, what have you done to deserve your title more than myself? More than anyone else who isn't currently bold? Because you won a vote? My ancestor won a vote for worst crew leader in history. Kuklinski was the only man with a vote, but my ancestor still won. Does that deem my ancestor qualified to be the worst Crew Leader in the history of this thing of ours? I guess that's your call... but justifying something without using a logical backing for why rather than why not means you're using child like logic and it's not befitting a hand, let alone a Crew Leader."

Report Post Tip

Wiggle was in the middle of cooking eggs and ham in his luxurious apartment filled with memorabilia and naked women. As he looked over toward the pan while laughing with one of the ladies and getting ready to flip an egg he hears commotion in the street. 

Opening the window he see's Anarchy and WhereWasI having words. 

"Ladies come over here and watch this."

As they stood behind him, Wiggle grabs an non-cracked egg off the counter top and toss's it. With 2 stories to fall the egg lands between the feet of the two men. Wiggle and the girls duck down to prevent from being seen. 

"Well that was fun. Ok ladies, after the egg's and ham it's another game of hide n go seek. The bed is base." 

Report Post Tip

WhereWasI looks up after the egg drops, realizes who lives above and begins to think on how to react. Suddenly he bends down, picks up a rock, and throws it through iocaste's car window. He turns to Anarchy,

"I'll be back in just a second."

WhereWasI runs around the corner to a diner, grabs the phone and calls Don WiggleButt.

"Stop trying to drop white objects and/or liquids on my face. No means no!"

WhereWasI hangs up the phone, runs back, catches his breath, puts on his meanest face again and points angrily at the ground waiting for someone to respond.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Auth and Why You Are Getting It
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL