Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 01:05:25
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
What's Your Goal? Started by: Anna on Feb 02, '14 22:56

A comment made in response to another speech had set Anna's mind running on a topic that she felt deserved its own venue for discussion. Moving down the street, she started to speak on it.

Good evening all.

I've just recently heard a mobster proclaim that the one and only goal to this world is to become a Godfather and to run a city - or a district, I presume, since that better reflects the current set up of our world.

What I would like to debate however, is, is that strictly true?

The position of Godfather in itself has never really appealed to myself or my bloodline. I share similar sentiments to the rest of them; I'd be crap at it. I'd make a balls up of it. I just... don't want it. Now, I'm sure that there are many out there for whom one day achieving the rank of Godfather IS their only goal - I just know that I'm not one of them. My bloodline's day of ever even considering the possibility was less for our own sake and less for the sake of the fantastic and talented members of the crew we ran at the time. Fuck, I think even if somebody had told my mother that she was to be given a district, she would've asked that her right hand man be allowed to take the rank of Godfather over herself. We've never had the feeling, my bloodline, that the Godfather gig is really our thing.

So, considering that that isn't a goal for myself and mine - and I don't think that I can be the only one out here sharing that sentiment - what other goals to people out there have for their lives?

Mine is to do the best that I can by Raptor and by the district of Corktown. Pure and simple - that is all. But I'm interested to know what the goals of others are. If your bloodline has already reached the rank of Godfather, is it something you yourself would aim for? It'd be interesting in that respect to hear from some of our current Godfathers and some of the descendents of former Godfathers.

Report Post Tip

Personally, my bloodline has NEVER had the goal of being a Godfather.

Hell, my bloodline has actively shunned the goal of being a leader. One of my ancestors put on that bold suit once, a long time ago, simply to shut people up who had claimed that my bloodline had "never accomplished anything", but that's it.

My goal is, like yours Anna, simply to do the most I can to help out in the family I join. Whether that's as a hand, or as a lowly member, I do whatever needs to be done when it needs to be done to ensure the survival and prosperity of my leader and my crewmates. 

Mostly, though, my bloodline's goal has always been "Don't get shot because you were a mouthy bastard in the streets". 

A goal we have failed to achieve many, MANY times.

Report Post Tip

Scorpions ears twitched as he knows what is being said

My goal is to make it to Godfather as honorable and effective as possible. 

By that honorable is to maintain respect, and not selling my soul for the world. Second is effectiveness by that is leaving a legacy where your footsteps can be retraced. Leaving a guide for the new generation coming in. 

Report Post Tip

What's my goal?

To do the best for my family as I can.
This is my priority in this world of ours and if it brings me to the highest circles of this life, that would be a great award.

If it does not, then so be it.

Report Post Tip

Sabrina hearing some talk in a near by crowd about goals decides to step up to the soap box next to Anna and share her goal with her. It had been a long time since Sabrina had given it any thought but a few days ago decided on a goal that isn't shared by very many so wanted to work towards that instead.

Good Morning Anna and all the ladies and gents standing in the crowd,

I havent given much thought about my goals up until about a week ago. My goal is simple. See, to often we hear people say I want Godfather, or I want to be a Crew Leader and head my own family, all very selfish goals. My goal is to be part of something that is bigger than myself. Whether or not its, helping a fellow family member out with a problem, or something much bigger like rebuilding a city from the ground up. I just want to be part of that process and play a key role in it. I dont care if i ever lead my own family, or ever reach the rank of Godmother, As long as i get the chance to be part of something that doesnt just benefit me, but the people around me as well.

Sabrina steps off the podium and lights herself a cigarette, preparing to catch the next flight out of town.

Report Post Tip

AlexMoran breaks into song.

I want to be the very best, 
Like no one ever was.
To catch them is my real test, 
To train them is my cause.

Ok, no..not really. Ok,Maybe.

Moving on, What are my goals in this world? Well, right now..it's for my District to be as happy and as well protected as is humanly possible. That's it. I have no desperate need to reach the rank of Godfather. However, that is the way my blood has always worked.

However, aside from goals...I think we should talk about what happens to those goals as time goes on? When I first came here...I didn't want any responsibility. Then my good pal,Dripple chose me as his RH, then my goal was the betterment of The Negative Nimbus.Then, I got a Family of my own, now my goal was to better my own crew. Then, I got the privilege of running a district...and my goals changed again. Catch my point? It helps to have a well defined goal and work single-mindedly toward it...however...when it doesn't really go your way...please don't throw a hissy fit and play the hand you've been dealt. Who knows? You might just have more fun.

Report Post Tip

Dr-Evil appears from the crowd as his bald forehead glistens in the afternoon sun.

I think, first and foremost, your goals should be to impress your crew leader and shed blood, sweat and tears in ensuring you make them proud. Anything beyond this in terms of goals should probably be spoken amoungst close allies and families. Broadcasting your overall plans and aspirations in a public place, may be slightly short sighted.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid old egg.

Report Post Tip

My thoughts partially align with Dr-Evil here, for many would consider our "goals" to be what we want to acquire or accomplish. These acquisitions and accomplishments are brought about by our desire to do so, so it is reasonable to conclude that determining an individual's desires and aspirations will allow you a peek into their future. That seems like sensitive information, some may say, but I disagree. It is discussions like these that have the capacity to shape a new understanding in the individuals who listen. They may reject those principles but they are made available all the same by the motivation of Anna and others like her who seek to contribute such thoughts, likely in the hopes that something new will come along. For though I assume that this isn't the first time this question has been asked, I am quite certain that the environments surrounding each iteration of the discussion has changed. These discussions about popular decisions, popular goals, and social strategy give us an outlook on the future.

My goals are simple. The first is to develop a new appreciation for the individuals who steer our entire world as they see fit. I think each leader acquires leadership in their own way, and that provides a path available to us in the lower ranks. Conglomerating these stories into what "makes a leader" is probably the most intuitive way to understand it. The second goal I've posed for myself is to bring a more vibrant tone to my family. Due to the repetitive nature of this world I fear many have grown tired of posing new questions, postulating new ideas, and breaking the norm. It is these constructs that I seek to, at the very least, re-evaluate or, at the most, alter or abolish. There is no reason to assume the world, as it is, must always be as it is. It is what we make it, and each goal we provide to this discussion further shapes it.

Since I've properly articulated my thoughts, I'd also like to provide a bit of a postlude: This is a malleable world. If you don't shape it the way you think it should be, it will be shaped by others who will likely not express identical interests. If you think yourself better than them, you have a duty to this world to do the shaping. 

Report Post Tip
My only goal is to actually win a few games of dice. Other than that, I'm just a hobo blowing in the wind.
Report Post Tip

Clay thought deeply about the question posted by Anna. And he was not surprised to hear that his goal did not differ from what everyone has said.

My goal definitely is leaning towards my family. Work, earn and fight for my family. As my survival and growth would depend on my family's success, and the success of my family would depend on us, the members. As of now, leading my own family, or being a godfather did not cross my mind.

He then scratches his head then adds...

Oh, and probably own the greatest strip joint in Detroit!

With that, Clay goes back to his club.

Report Post Tip

Ronald overhears Anna, a street speaker he's beginning to become familiar with, addressing another fundamental issue: purpose. A few others are already chiming in so he figures he may as well share his thoughts on the subject.

Aside from wanting to reflect as highly on my family and my city as possible, which is the answer any mobster worth his or her salt would put forward, I'm trying to make a bit of a statement with my career. There is a lot of talk out here about the "old ways" and how a lot of us feel we've strayed from them. I'm trying to show, by example, that it is entirely possible to come up from nothing with nothing but the "old ways".

Perhaps I should be a bit more specific.

I came quite recently to this world as we all do: a nobody. No connections. No real grasp on the current climate outside of my great-grandfather's ancient letters and journals. The fact that I stand before you today as a Capo of a well-respected family attests to the timelessness of my strategy. 

I want to show others that there is still something to be gained with simple legwork. Getting your face out into the streets and business districts. Building friendships and networking one stranger at a time. Keeping things straight-forward and respectful. And, of course, grinding to the bone in pursuit of that almighty profit. It's not all coffee shop schmoozing and cliques; you can still be rewarded through hard work, loyalty, and perhaps a bit of creativity. Like Sforza, I'm interested in trying to help shape our culture, even if on an individual level.

As for becoming a crew leader, or even Godfather, that's not necessarily important to me either. The best leaders are the ones who have a clear vision. If I came to a point in my career where I really felt I could do the most good for my district as a bold suit then, and only then, would I even consider making noise in that direction. I guess it's another way in which I'm old fashioned. I think the bold suit should be a reflection of the status you've already built for yourself, not something you chase to elevate your status.

Report Post Tip

Goal?  An interesting question.  I've often thought about my goals.  And I have similar goals to a lot of other people here.  You know - do the best I can for my family, rank up as high as I can, and die an old man.  Those seem simple enough.  But I have other goals too.  

I want to be able to find more time to give to this community, and I want to have fun!  Those are important to me.  I haven't been able to fully accomplish these goals yet, but I'm striving to reach 'em.  

Now - that presents a question.  Is it okay to have fun?  Or should we be totally focussed on business and making money?  I think it's okay to have fun, and have never been told that it's not okay to have fun, but I'd be interested to see more answers to this question - is it okay to have fun?

Report Post Tip

Swizz Stumbles upon a large crowd and steps closer to hear what they are saying before putting in his two cents.

the only goal you can set for yourself in this world of ours is to make a name for yourself and to be loyal to your self and to your Godfather/Crewleader. if you set out to be a Godfather or a crewleader the power behind the title will take over. the way i see it let the opportunity arise on its own and be the best asset you can.

Report Post Tip

J interested with a speech given from Anna at the street, so he decided to give a simple speech of his opinion.

All of my respect. Simply my goal is to enjoy in my family which is help them whenever if the hard time comes, coz more joy over come when we experience many things. You live once so why not enjoy. J smiled.

Oh ya. another thing "respect" he added, because he thinks "respect" most needed in this world of Mafioso.

Report Post Tip

Having listened to a plethora of opinions, Anna smiles at the speakers who have gathered around to take the time out to share theirs.

Thank you all for taking the time out and putting the effort in to responding to me here; when I first overheard the comment on the only goal of our world to be to become a Godfather, I admit, it disarmed me a little. It had me thinking - is it really the goal of everybody to do that? Have we as a society really become so painfully focused on ourselves and on our own achievements, have we forgotten that we join our families to serve and protect them, not to have them serve us?

It has, in that regard, been incredibly refreshing to see people be willing to stand up and directly say that their goals are more family orientated. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with aspiring to become a Godfather, but I do feel as though other priorities should come first, and the first priority to myself always is my family, pure and simple.

WillHayes, you asked a question in return, a good question. It may be one that deserves its own place of discussion, but for the time being, it is one I'll answer here.

Now - that presents a question.  Is it okay to have fun?  Or should we be totally focussed on business and making money?  I think it's okay to have fun, and have never been told that it's not okay to have fun, but I'd be interested to see more answers to this question - is it okay to have fun?

Yes, in my opinion, it is COMPLETELY okay to have fun. If you aren't having fun in this world, you're probably doing it wrong. You work with your family and ideally, you'd wish for your family to become those you'd consider also to be your friends, right? So why assume it's wrong to have a laugh with these people? My mother spent half her life in the streets doing stupid speeches for a laugh, singing songs for a laugh. I don't think it did her a huge amount of harm.

What's life without a little laughter at the right time or place? Even our world, where tradition and solemnity do run through the very blood and bones of us all, is brightened with laughter and friendship and fun. On many funerals even, you'll see people mention enjoying the company of the deceased, enjoying their friendship, having had them brighten their day, having helped to make this world fun for them; that isn't half a bad reason to be mourned, in my opinion.

Report Post Tip

Don't know about you, but my ambitions and goals are simple. It's support and be helpful to my Leader, my Godfather and my City. I know how cliché that sounds, but its true. I just want to be there and do what I can. 

Ramon grabs a cigarette and a lighter from his coat.

To be honest, I don't plan to be even crew leader, let alone Godfather. Leadership is a gift, I think, and I don't have it. So...

He lights his cigarette and goes to a corner, smoking.

Report Post Tip

George scratches his head and thinks for a moment

I think my goal really is to learn, id love to be a crew leader one day and make something for myself. But I know ill have to learn alot more about this world before the chance will arise.

Report Post Tip

Try to learn this game :) That's my first goal def....

Report Post Tip

The dark side about goals and ambitions is that the can cloud your judgement over time. 

All of us have the hopes and dreams of leading or if nothing else being the best we can be.
But those who set goals, limited goals, like "I am going to make CL, no matter the cost." Well that is putting yourself in front of your family and there was the first wrong move.

Just being the best you can be, working hard for your family is the best goal you can set.
Those of us who've been in the position of leadership before can spot those who are simply working to get personal gains, not for the good of the family, and many if not most times it ends up with that person getting themselves killed. 

It is not easy in this world of ours to be an all round mafioso.
It takes a lot of dedication to cover all the areas of our world.
It takes even more dedication do those things well.
THAT should be your goals in my opinion.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

My goal?

Its to live longer than my daddy....and do even less than he did living as long as he did.

I'm convinced the key to a long life, is doing as less as you possibly could, dad proved that with only 150 hours of picking his ass off his table at the bistro for over 478 days....

I aim to beat that.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What's Your Goal?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL