Get Timers Now!
X

May 15 - 10:40:47
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The Streets' Speakers Are Dead. Started by: Maria on May 28, '14 13:33

Having followed IronSight's speech in recent days and having discussed different thoughts and opinions on the matter of the streets being 'dead', Maria had found herself thinking in a slightly different track, on that IronSight had encouraged her to express. The thought that rather than people bitching and moaning about the streets, perhaps the issues were slightly different. It was something she'd certainly like to open up for discussion. Heading out onto the streets, just around the corner from where IronSight himself had spoken initially and recited his poem, she lights up a cigarette and begins to speak.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

I have one or two things to say tonight that may not be popular, that shift the focus slightly on discussions about the streets being dead. I understand that this idea may not sit well with some - that they may have to take some responsibility for the fact that our streets aren't exactly going through one of their more exciting phases right now. I understand I'll probably catch some shit for it from those who are desperately on the defensive. But, in all honesty, IronSight has done something for my line that we've been lacking of late. He's inspired one of us to come out on the streets and say something that might be controversial. 

It's not been an easy decision to make. I know some will probably move to decry me and my words here simply on the basis of what others have said, on what others have empowered them to say, on their opinions on me. It seems to be a point that needs to be made, though. Because I believe it's a point that is being sorely missed. 

Maria pauses and takes a drag from her cigarette, flicking ash onto the sidewalk before slowing exhaling, allowing her to organize her thoughts.

People say the streets are dead - I don't believe that to be true. We say the streets are dead like the streets are a living, sentient creature, capable of it's own action or inaction. That isn't so. The streets are a collaboration of creative minds, of thoughts, feelings, emotions, stories, talents, announcements. The streets are, in pure and simple terms, what we make of them.

Some lines are known for making more of the streets than others. The line IronSight belongs to, for example (although he'll hate me for saying this), has made tremendous impact on the streets over the years. When I read through the journals of my ancestors, Godfather Cantona's name is one that comes up regularly as a Godfather who set the example on the streets. Hell, the Kuklinski line is one of the best out there in terms of getting people involved, getting them to speak out. 

But, here's the thing about speakers: they aren't immortal, and they sure as fuck aren't infallible. For the most part, they don't live forever or last forever. Often, a choice has to be made between being part of this world and trying to advance in it, or to be perfectly honest, to merely be allowed to live in it, and continuing to speak out. Or, the continued efforts for what often amounts to so little real response can cause the speakers who put effort in to fade away. 

Maria pauses again for another drag of her cigarette, and this time, unscrews a small hip flask containing something smelling strongly of whiskey and takes a swig. Getting into the swing of truly sharing her thoughts with the world on the streets as some of her ancestors had previously wasn't the easiest thing Maria had ever done, and she was hoping to avoid going the same way as a good few of her ancestors had - straight to the funeral home.

This issue is more relevant to the speakers who are willing to discuss controversial ideas or topics, of course - but, honestly, what makes for a more interesting read? A lively and passionate debate or discussion, or hell, even an argument, or a rolling line of auth speeches and new Godfather announcements? Often, the only time we actually see those in bold suits publicly is either making or responding to those kind of speeches. We have leaders in this world that barely have an identity at all in term of the streets, and to me, that is a genuine shame. 

Now, the fact that it may be down to these leaders and Godfathers to stop taking the easy way out of conducting all their affairs, business and communications (for the most part) in the coffee shops is another discussion that I know has definitely been had before. Over a year ago now, the TeQ bloodline under the name Countdown ceased to use the coffee shops entirely for a while and found his street activity increased significantly. Perhaps if our leaders were willing to consider this and alter their own habits and behaviors and step out of their comfort zones a little, others wouldn't need other speakers to court death quite so frequently in attempts to liven things up. 

As she spoke about the TeQ bloodline, she smiled a little. Her ancestors had enjoyed the presence of that bloodline, had been proud to call the descendants of it friends, people they had trusted, sometimes schemed with, and always greatly admired for their ability to speak their minds so skillfully. She took a final drag of her cigarette and threw it onto the ground, crushing it with toe of her shoe.

With that being said, here's why these streets are boring, stagnant, whatever the hell you want to call it. The people in the positions to speak their minds? Yeah, they aren't gonna. They might speak from time to time, or even regularly, but it'll be well timed and overall quite neutral and tame. The ones who are going to make things interesting around here end up being the ones that get derided, ridiculed, written off, slandered and generally made out to be idiots. Ironically, more often than not by the people who then bitch and moan that "the streets are dead". 

I'm not talking the ones with the "speech impediments" that somebody responded to IronSight with a tangent about the other day - Most of the time, if you admit you're struggling or think you have basic issues that somebody can help fix with a quick read through of your speech before you make it, somebody will help you - although that's more effort than most want to put in. I'm talking the people who come to the streets either to speak on a relevant issue or to entertain or debate or even just incite a discussion, who get torn down because of who they are or because they dare to disagree with the authority.

Her hand went back to her hip flask, and unscrewing the lid, she took another swig to steady her nerves before wrapping her speech up.

I understand that a certain level of respect must be held up on these streets - but that's why it is on our leaders to make efforts themselves. How often do we see one of our Godfathers come out and start a discussion - not to announce a new auth or announce their position - but to come out and give us something original or something funny or something that makes us think? These streets are boring because those willing to speak with passion are punished over and over for it.

Good speakers are a dying breed. They will become extinct if we don't stop hunting them down and don't see those on the top making efforts of their own to contribute.

Finally feeling as though she had gotten what she had to say off her chest somewhat, Maria leaned back against a wall, and pulled from her pocket a packet of cigarettes, pulling one out and beginning to fish around in her other pockets for the silver lighter engraved with the words 'Fort Hubcaps' that had been passed down her family for generations. She was unsure whether her words would sway anyone or change any attitudes or outlooks, but at least she'd done what others wouldn't dare do - stood up and made a speech and spoken her mind.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $50,000 Tip

Forever_Sexy, always enjoying a good point, sits at the back of the crowd while Maria makes her points.  Wearing a charcoal grey suit with a black tie and a white shirt he takes a sip of his scotch and a drag of his cigar.  He patiently waits for Maria to finish before he steps forward. 

First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to bring this forward.  I'd like to bring up one point of your speech:

but, honestly, what makes for a more interesting read?

Honestly, I think that's the point that got skimmed over too quickly.  While I wholeheartedly agree that majority of what is on the streets is a dull read.  (Congrats on your new fam, but come on now)  I'm not sure what would be good content for our streets.  I've often times tried to think of things to help fill the void, but honestly not very much is wanted on our streets.

I'm sure there will be disagreement here, but honestly I don't see the story tellers of our world getting much love from other gangsters.  As you said, the arguments are the ones that draw the most interest.  The problem is that we live in a world of omerta.  Publicly calling out other mafiosos does not tend to bode well for your health.

So the question I'd have is what content do the streets really want?  Aside from petty arguments what would get the majority of our mafioso friends to come join us in the part?

Report Post Tip

lronSight notices Maria beginning to speak and finds a nice bench to sit on and listen. lronSight sighs as the compliments are paid, shaking his head back and forth muttering,

"Never gonna let you live that one down."

lronSight continues listening, respectfully waits for her to finish and spends a minute collecting his thoughts. When he's finally ready he stands upon the bench to make sure she can notice him in the crowd and begins to speak,

"I agree with many of the things you've said here today, but I'll be focusing on the parts I happen to disagree with if you don't mind. Number one I will publicly repeat my distaste for compliments, if someone's going to like me I'd like to know they do because they've read my work and not because they're going off of the opinion of someone else... but thank you, Maria, and thank you very much for taking the time to do this. I know it might not have necessarily been something you wanted to do very long ago, but it's important that some take the time to show the importance of flexing your lungs to show the newer bloodlines you can come out here and respectfully share an opinion without fear of being attacked or scolded."

"Now onto the material, the opinion that street speakers are unnecessarily abused is somewhat true and somewhat false. Criticisms are often confused for insults and lumped in with personal attacks by street speakers, if someone genuinely dislikes what you've done and tells you why then they aren't necessarily trying to snuff you out, they might just be giving you input that you could use to tailor your next speech. The point where they take it too far is when they continue to drive away at an individual, which is rather apparent in most cases, because of a personal distaste for the individual. I myself am from a bloodline guilty of this on a few occasions because it is so very tempting, but the act itself is what I believe scares off even the most confident of street speakers."

"Unfortunately, I don't believe having a stronger street presence from inept/uninterested speakers (which is unfortunately my opinion of many of the current leaders) would do anything to stop harassment or encourage others to speak. Nor do I believe they should necessarily step in to protect controversial speakers because when you limit what one person can say, you limit what everyone can say, and I can guarantee that will be used on controversial speakers. This sort of thing where leaders aren't necessarily vocal leaders happens because there are many different types of leaders and the vocal leaders in the streets aren't in positions of power as frequently as they used to be, which isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it's just something that's happened as other forms of communication have developed. The way I believe the harassment would stop would be if others would spend more time trying to test their skills street speaking and spread more positive messages, even while disagreeing, in the speeches we do get to encourage further street speaking. I believe drowning out the moronic voices with (possibly even forced) respectful responses would deter the efforts of someone looking to personally attack the speaker."

"The street speaking community does need leaders, I just don't think anyone's willing to give any kind of power or incentive to someone for that so we'll just have to wait for one of them to do something about it and make or take the power/incentives."

lronSight looked down at his broken watch,

"Got a bit carried away there. Sorry about that, everyone, I thought I wouldn't have taken up so much of your time with just a comment."

lronSight then reaches into his pocket, pulls out a bundle of money and tosses it to Maria.

"Try to not spend it all on hubcaps, but maybe a little more public incentive for speakers would help get other people speaking too. So why not?"

Report Post Tip
The future will always have promise when voices like yours are out there Maria. I thank you for having what it takes to speak on the things that you care about
Report Post Tip

Sheamus was walking through the streets when he caught sight of Maria as she began her speech. He listened to her words, taking them in before deciding to add his own two cents worth. He cleared his throat as he began.

Thank you Maria for your speech, and I have to say I agree with a lot of what you have to say. It seems to me that these streets are devoid of genuine discussion, and it is this that makes them thrive. There is relatively little input one can make into the discussion that currently exist, bar the ones of this nature. Auth and godfather speeches are of course necessary, but there is little that can be added to them in a discussion sense. There's just no scope for that to happen. While occasionally the more heated discussions may cause friction, you can't have debate without a degree of friction. 

He takes a swig of rum from his hipflask before continuing.

The other thing I note is that within this world there is a tendency for any form of controversy to be punished by death. This, unfortunately, includes any kind of true discussion in these streets. As a result the streets are sanitised to the point where they are afraid to speak their mind on the chance they may lose their life, or the validity of their response is called into question due to their rank. I must confess, my line in this world does not date back a long time however this is something noted by numerous ancestors. The response to this must be twofold. Firstly, you and I must not be so afraid as to sugar-coat our opinions; in the words of John Maynard Keynes, in the long run we are all dead anyway. That's not necessarily to say be disrespectful, but where something needs to be said it should be said. Maria, I know your bloodline has never been afraid to do this, but it certainly has been the case with others. Secondly, leaders must be prepared to back up their members so as to create an environment where healthy discussion is tolerated, not frowned upon. It is a shame to occasionally see those of lower rank who use the streets for their intended purpose killed for upsetting those who may be a touch oversensitive.

My bloodline, although as I say not one that dates back a significant period in this world, has been longing for an opportunity to become involved in meaningful discussion on these streets. I just hope this is able to materialise in an environment where true discussion can happen.

Ending his speech, Sheamus sat down and pulled out a pipe engraved with the word 'fella' from his coat pocket. As he smoked it, he pondered over what he had said. He truly hoped to hear more input into discussions such as this and more opportunity to speak his mind in the future.

Report Post Tip
Hello,Maria. Thank you very much for bringing a very interesting speech to the Streets.

Sadly, I don't really agree with the asessment that you have made that Street speakers are derided or 'hated' on. My line is one that contributes to the Streets quite often. Of course, not on the level of others, but something is better than nothing? Guess so.

Moving on, I have noticed a pattern amid all the chaos that we so fondly call 'The Streets'. If you can bring forward a topic and attempt to discuss it, respectfully, then nobody is going to deride you. Sadly, respectful and friendly discussions do not a healthy Streets make.

The Streets are at their rather savage best when people are vociferously attacking one another. This, of course, causes problems for the obvious reasons. So.....we need Street Speakers who will inject the right amount of drama into the Streets but won't get killed....or, we need a leadership that truly wants free speech. Now, I am a member of the leadership,or I'd like to think so at least and I,personally would hate 'free speech'.

So...in conclusion...in my opinion.. Street speakers don't get derided if they choose to stay within the parameters set for them by virtue of their rank,contacts,power etc. It's only when you try to punch above your weight that you get rather brutally shut down.

If I could give one piece of advice on how to be an effective Street speaker it would be this:Know what you can and can't do.
Report Post Tip

lronSight sighs,

"My apologies Kittyhawk, but I find many things wrong with your statement. For starters, drama isn't the only fuel for the streets... hell it isn't even the best long term fuel. Next, I think it's a bit bold to assume the role of a street leader or producer when you haven't really created much of anything. Commenting isn't nearly the same as creating, so forgive me but I will never think of you as a real Street Speaker, Creator, or Inspiration in any way, shape or form. But perhaps you could be if you put your mind to it. I find it's actually very easy to comment from the back and just go with the flow once you get used to it, which again is all I really ever see of your bloodline in my journals. So until someone creates something with controversy, or at least stands on the controversial side, I don't believe they really have the authority to dismiss the existence of insults and bashing that seems to follow many of our recent controversial speakers. Your statement here today makes me believe you want nothing in the streets but the exact type of contact that completely derails bloodlines... and I can only think of one type of commenter who really enjoys those. The exact person she's speaking against. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but when was the last time you took a stand and said something that went against the norm?"

Report Post Tip
Ohaaaai,IronSight

*hugs*

First off, I never assumed the role of a 'Street leader',was it? Guess everyone wants to be a leader of some sort now, I guess.

Now onward and upward to your next point! Drama isn't the best fuel for Street activity? Then what is, pray tell,Mr.Street Leader Man?(is that a compliment?!?!I dunno. Sosoz if it is one. Wouldnt dream of offending anyone)The very fact that I am responding twice and not once on this Street corner is simply because of your attempt to make me feel like a weak 'company man' who has never taken a stand of his own. An attempt,if I may be so bold to add...which is engineered not to advance the discussion buuuut to infuse...you guessed it,drama.

Maybe I am all that you say I am. Maybe I am a person who enjoys discussions that 'derail bloodlines'.
That is because of one very very simple fact:I know what I can and can't do without pissing people off. That is something you and other great Street Leaders of our age need to focus on.

Of course,you in all your Street Leader wisdom might say 'We take these controversial stands because it is the right thing to do', then you must be muy delusional or muy retarded to think that taking such stands will gain you anything besides derision and hate

However, if esteemed Street Leaders like yourself actually took the time to package your thoughts into something people might enjoy listening to.....maybe the derision will be reduced after all, people might enjoy listening to someone who takes the time to not come as an overbearing ass who claims to know it all....I don't know,to be honest...Pretty sure I lack the imagimation to think of such a scenario.

However, if you still believe that your approach to these scenarios is the right one....then, I have nothing to say but this,an amaaaazing quotation I have had the pleasure of reading:Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself, even if that means standing alone.

So,yeah...you will stand alone....IF you cant be bothered to take the time to figure out how to approach a controversial situation without irritating people.
Report Post Tip

lronSight ruffles the hair of the poor little confused man,

"It's okay Mr. Kittyhawk, I the hugs from you are basically an attempted slap in the face form of mockery upon something you don't understand so you don't have to fear the wrench."

Now, I am a member of the leadership,or I'd like to think so at least and I,personally would hate 'free speech'.

"Right there, you determined you were a leader... I guess because you have an HQ. And then determined to take a stance against something no one else brought up in a way that would give you more authority as a leader. Gee, can't imagine why. I also haven't once claimed to be a street leader. I, lronSight, would prefer to not be in the spotlight most of the time but after inspiration struck me for just a moment I was shortly contacted by a number of people to discuss the state of affairs in the streets. Even that doesn't make me a street leader in my mind, despite the fact it makes me 100 times more qualified than you before you include the fact I've been trying to be readily available to help them... you and your tiny competition HQ are a real  leader because you have a title."

"The reason I pointed out the fact you seem to be only interested in derailing bloodlines is because you're obviously the very type of person she came out here to speak against, in my mind. And you have the nerve to pretend it doesn't happen? Honestly, can't imagine a single reason you'd want to convince people it doesn't happen, really. Your appearance isn't transparent whatsoever."

"You also like to reference that I don't know how to walk the line, that's really cute. In my entire bloodline's history can you name a single time my street presence was used to justify any type punishment? I really hope you pick the only time I got demoted... I love that story and I'd love to tell all the little intricate details."

"Don't mind me, Mr. KittyHawk, I obviously stand alone. I obviously always have and always will because if you don't like me, how could anyone? You're the only one who can have supporters behind the scenes. What could someone like me possibly do anyways? I mean ignoring the fact people who actually make threads gravitate towards me, what else do I do that someone such as yourself hasn't done? You're so much smarter Mr. KittyHawk, gift us with these perfect streets you know how to create. Let the drama flow, but this time... stop being the coward waiting to kick someone while they're down and go make something yourself. Maybe then you'll see what Maria's speaking about. I mean... you walk that line so well it should be a piece of cake for you, right? Creating real drama and not being disrespectful. No one would ever get bored with that either."

Report Post Tip

Mako comes forward with a grin on his face as he nods and looks around to the people who have joined in this conversation. He gave Maria a small hug and took a few steps backwards.

"I have to begin by saying that this is a great speech, Maria. Although I know you think you've outdone yourself with this, I've seen it from you before, and you've made me proud today."

He turns towards the others and gives a little shrug. Before speaking, he pulled out a cigarette and started to pack it against his holster. After the cigarette was lit, he took a puff, and raised a finger as he spoke.

"I for one, am no King of the Streets. Do I work hard? Yes. Am I well educated? I'd think so. Do I hold myself well on the streets? Sure, but even I've had my moments. Not that I regret having them, but I am nowhere near some of the people you've mentioned. I do house those with me that might be consider controversial speakers, and I have zero problem with that. They know what I ask of them and that's all that matters. Those with me normally respect my wishes... so I have no problems with those that might share different opinions from others and even myself. In fact, I love hearing them and most people know how to approach me. What do I ask from my members who are considered under this category? Well, that doesn't matter, nor do I feel I want to reveal it, even though it's no real secret. They respect me and those wishes and that's all that matters.

If I wanted my group to be a bunch of "Yes Men", I'd surround myself with those people. I don't want that though. I want people who can express themselves, and do it in the right way. If I had a group of people who constantly agreed with everything said and nodded like idiots, I'd be questioning how I was doing my job.

But I won't stand here and act like some angel either. My people are allowed to speak freely, but nothing is truly free. It comes at a cost that honestly just comes down to whether they want to do it for me or not. I've scolded, killed, and punished some people for the things they've said in time. There's always a way to have that edge when you speak without taking it past that line, at least in my eyes. I don't like to see people resort to name calling and telling Godfathers that they're full of shit. Disagree all you like, but don't be offensive in that way. Because, believe or not, the mafia has always came with a certain value of respect. That depends on the leader and what they will/won't see happen from their family, or what is viewed as acceptable for the time period.

I don't think the streets would be considered dead because of the dead though, and that's where we disagree. There has been some great speakers throughout our time, but some of those that would be viewed as the 'elite' street speakers lack the material for it. I'm not going to name call, because that wouldn't be classy of me. However, there's some who do it well and others who don't live up to the right hype as they want to. There's a difference between well thought out speeches, like this one, versus some of the ones from people who have considered themselves the streets gods. People always have the power to come up with speeches just as good as the ones that have came from those people you've names. Whether they do it or not has yet to be seen, and I can't tell you which way that it will eventually lean, but I would guess that some people have their strengths, while also having their weaknesses. Some provide drama, but no material. Some don't like the thought of others always considering their bloodline or lashing out at them because of a history. Others are very great speakers, but get very hot headed at times..."

Mako turns around and taps Maria on the head, along with lronSight.

"I like seeing the passion for speaking on the streets used correctly and with the right taste to it. The Loop and myself are to be represented and I won't hold anyone back that wishes to do so. Mine have been wonderful in seeing that happen, and it's appreciated. As long as their not running around calling people cunts and retarded helpless vaginas, then I don't mind them voicing their opinions at all.

I will be echoing, but there's some things said here that I do agree with and don't agree with. Regardless, things are to be somewhat political, as that's a great to strive in the country. People get passionate about their beliefs and opinions, as they should. There's a difference between being smart and well handled about the way you go about it, and then there's the part where emotions take over. Debates are good, and so are conflicting opinions.

This also goes in the other direction. If you're going to bring up a topic of controversy within it's limits, you have to be ready for the debate without getting flustered. Or if you're going to reply to one, you must do the same. Speak passionate, but hammering your opinion on people never make them comfortable either. And you can't get out of control, knowing at the end of the day that all it is, is a debate. People are going to disagree, and that's with everyday life. I'm the type of person that listens, keeps my opinions, voices them, and take notes on how people act around me. It's hard for me to be persistent on a subject and go crazy on it, because at the end of the day... it's exactly what I said, a conflicting debate and people are going to stand by their beliefs. Debate about it. Don't get ugly. Move on and do what you love to do in the next one. It's a cycle just like any other, or so it should be for some people. The majority of people have a CL or GF they can talk to about such things before approaching a subject or the streets, I suggest people us them. They are your leadership, and you should find common ground with what they find acceptable and what they don't."

Report Post Tip
Haaaai again,IronSight

*hugs*

Firstly, MASSIVE props for twisting my words. I am pretty sure no-one besides you felt I was claiming to be a Street leader. Of course,voices in your head don't count,just fyi.

Also, your inflated sense of self worth is amazing. You have readily given help to people? Would love to see some evidence. Geee...why has no one mentioned you anywhere as 'IronSight helped me write this'. Guess you really are muy secretive

Well, I think the fact that I have a Kitten profile picture makes me a bazillion times better as a Street leader than youuuu. See how petty that looks? Exactly what you are doing. Let someone else say this( I am sure someone will but let's see,yeah?) and we can reach an agreement that you, almighty IronSight are faaaar greater than me, the insignificant 'pretend leader'

Me and my tiny competition HQ feel sosad btw. Why u gotta be somean?

Moving on, You are the left hand man to a Godfather and you stand alone?OHSURE.
That is what your problem is,IronSight, you strive relentlessly to create this image for yourself....that of the consumate loner. That of someone who has no friends because he doesnt want any. Such a cool dude, if I say so myself. Sadly, you are not that person. Maybe you are confusing your actual self with the image you have created in your head? I will never know. You have never fucking stood alone. You have always had people whispering into your ear. You have always had people trying to defend you. So,stop the charade and accept the fact that maybe.....juust maybe the legendary loner line of WhereWasI isn't so 'alone' as you believe. I have friends,or I'd like to think so. Not 'supporters behind the scenes' but friends. Simple as that.

Fiiinallly, No. I will not attempt to 'revive' the Streets as your blood attempted to do once. Simply because I don't believe that is how the Streets work. The Streets,like so much else in this world,are cyclic. There will be a period of activity followed by another of inactivity. Thay is just my belief, but I am willing to stand by it. Yes, *even* if it means standing alone. Shocking? I know.

Oooooh yeah, one last thing....kicking someone while they are down? Who am I kicking whilst they groan in agony? You? Hardly. Marie? Nope. Responded quite respectfully to her, I think.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $220,000 Tip

"It's not word twisting, you claimed to be a leader, so tell us why you felt that was necessary while speaking of the streets if not for the purpose of assuming some type of role?"

"Next, using the voices in the head line on someone most of the community most likely including you is aware has schizophrenia. You truly are a classy man and let me tell you that's one hell of a knee slapper, but my meds are working fine."

"No one will ever have my approval to put my name in a piece for helping them because that takes attention away from the person who did the real work, so I won't be baited into stooping to that nonsense. Obviously I can't stop someone who goes ahead without my permission, but that's just some simple logic for you. If you believe my ego is inflated so be it, doesn't mean yours isn't as well."

"Quite frankly, I am a better speaker based on merit and content produced. You have mostly trashy one liners or short responses and trolling lines and you're yet to produce anything more than a simple auth speech that I'm sure you were forced to make. We could have ten, maybe even twenty people out here waiting for someone else to come up with a thought believing drama is the only form of entertainment if you truly gather a following. Wouldn't all that forced drama be lovely? Tell me, while you keep circling this around to me, someone who has claimed to not be a leader, how are you proving yourself to really be a leader by doing this, exactly?"

"Your big claim to leadership is centered around that tiny HQ, that's why I gotta be so mean. You can joke all you want but accusations of my ego while claiming leadership off of something so pitiful is laughable at best and you deserve to be insulted for your own arrogance regardless of opinion on my own situation."

So,yeah...you will stand alone....IF you cant be bothered to take the time to figure out how to approach a controversial situation without irritating people.

"The bit about standing alone was a play on your own moronic line. Do you truly believe it's even possible to speak on a controversial topic without someone being annoyed? It's gonna happen no matter what and more than likely you're gonna make a lot of people unhappy just by publicly disagreeing with them, that's what makes a topic controversial."

"I do have a persona that prefers to not speak of friendship, you're correct. Have I ever once claimed to be a loner? Of course not. I've claimed to take stands on my own because I didn't want others catching political backlash, but your bloodline was too stupid to listen back then, so why would I be surprised you're still struggling over the same simple concepts? I'm not. And supporters behind the scenes actually fits better because not everyone who backs some part of my work is necessarily a friend. Sometimes people just happen to agree on a particular topic of conversation."

"And of course that's your belief of the streets. Everything is magical and fixes itself. With leaders waiting for things to fix themselves, how could things possibly go awry? You can stand alone and if that's what you truly believe then that's a noble stance... until you expose the part where you're just waiting on the rest of the world to make things better for you like a helpless child. There's no logic backing the reason for forced cyclical swings unless you believe it's truly centered around takedowns which is simply false because their have been plenty of quality periods without war, it's just an observation without any attempt to understand what's going on around you."

"Your initial response to her was respectful, as was mine to you. Your reasons for being here just irked me in a way that felt you needed to be prodded into speaking further. Your bloodline is historically one of the ones that did that exact thing to her, though I'm sure you'll deny that. But for arguments sake, why should anyone who believes you've harassed her for being her before believe you have innocent intentions in making an appearance here with the knowledge of how you've behaved in the past?"

Report Post Tip
I would love to know who I have harassed and when.

However, mad props for being the defender of the innocent.
Report Post Tip

honestly one of the biggest problems I think is for a while so many posts and views went on threads by people with over inflated ego's and then more regular we saw people reply the trolls creating a situation where more people followed the path instead of meaningful discussion.   The fact these were the most replied and viewed, meant some leaders replied "well why are you complaining it got people out on the street".  The problem then is if a leader backs the idea, it easily leads over the edge ass mako said to idiocy and petty name calling.

I will be honest, i wouldn't be a street leader but will contribute replies when i can, i will be honest, my first priority is to protect and grow the family and i have tried to encourage a future foundation within my family with resources and encouragement and an offer to help, but i will be honest,  agree it's something that many people aren't, they come they rank, and still have less speeches then can be counted on one hand.  Some evolve into speakers when they find they can't progress any furthers, others tire and still just plug away at ranking.

Do controversial threads always attract people. i think people love to deride someone at stages for their thoughts or mis-pronunciations as if; and is a problem that goes back as far as my blood line.  At stages it was a regular problem in the post war threads, when an experiment city failed or when people got repeated auth also caused the odd digs and people would jump on the for or against wagon.

I do believe where people have been allowed to speak freely  sometimes it is easy to overstep the mark, and is why some end in the obituaries unfortunately while others just enjoy the limelight even if only for one of their bloodline before returing to business as usual to let out what they feel.  Sadly there is a way to say things, and sadly some people have difficulty or choose to ignore them.

Do i believe the streets and it's speakers are cyclic, to a degree, as partly where some bloodlines take breaks from this world, partly where people try to rank and partly due to the summer seasons when many have a break to their summer homes.

Report Post Tip

when you try and help people on the streets it gets hidden by the higher powers, its not safe to talk about REAL ISSUES

Report Post Tip

Regardless of the risk, if change is to come then we are the ones who have to do something.

Report Post Tip

The streets are alive with the sound of music

spins around in circles with her arms open wide

Report Post Tip

Vixtra steps onto the street hand firmly on her gun tucked into the waistband of her dress suit.

"its not safe to talk about REAL ISSUES"

Upon hearing this comment she just had to speak up, having rather avoided the frequent drama to be found in the public lands known as the streets.

Vixtras eyes swept the passers by and gathered, then she tilted back her wide brimmed hat with her free hand and began to speak;

"I don't personally come out here often as i rarely feel the need to. I don't care about the politics of the day or who is insulting who as is far too common these days both in public and behind others backs. The thing that usually brings me out here is when something NEEDS to be said and many lack the backbone to speak their mind or to pass on congratulations when its really deserved. My mail is delivered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week due to a special arrangement with some postal officials so if someone has something to say to me and they aren't family all they have to do is write in their name and say their piece. 

Too many come out here and say much with little meaning, or try to hide their meanings with subtlety or veiled threats. My question is, and i do know the value of diplomacy, so don't imply that, why dress things up? A pig in a suit is still a pig, call it what it is come out here say what you mean and pay whatever comes due for it. if you have something to say, as long as your reasonably respectfull and not an idiot about it theres enough structure in this thing of ours you probably aren't going to get shot for it. on the other hand, if you come out here and act like a dumbass, your rude, disrespectful etc then well, to be honest, I'll probably shoot you myself.

Helping people should never get you looked down on or treated badly and if it does, pass it up the chain no one wants to see someone fresh to our streets abused.

Report Post Tip
Hello Maria. May I start off by saying that you look good today. Damn good.

PantiesBeDroppin performs some impressive cartwheels and spinning karate kicks in the air as the crowd gazes at him in awe.

People have been complaining about the streets being dead for some time now. Myself being one of those people. Your speech made me give some thought to it though. I think that the streets often appear dead to people because we naturally have a tendency to compare the state of the streets today to the state of the streets back when our ancestors were in place. Many of the more prolific street-speakers, Roman, FlyingPig, Grin, RichardKuklinski to name a few, are no longer around. To your point, the last inspiring street speaker that comes to my mind is also Godfather Cantona. AlabamaWorley also comes to mind as somebody who consistently provides great insight and points. Granted I'm only recently returning to the Mafia after a long absence, but offhand I can't think of anyone who has been able to fill the shoes of speakers of old that's been able to inspire the way the older generations could. Maybe there are, I just haven't personally noticed. I hope somebody someday does revive the streets to their past glory days. I know it won't be me. I'm just not that inspired by this world anymore to bother.

A good speech though, Maria. One of the very few I've bothered reading in it's entirety in some time.

Report Post Tip

I don't see why people put the time together to write up long paragraphs telling us why the streets are dead. If you're tired of seeing how the streets are, use that time and energy to find a way to liven it up. When you take the time to tell us why its dead, you're actually killing it more.

If the shoe fits then wear it. I bring designer footwear in all colors and sizes.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Streets' Speakers Are Dead.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL