Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 01:24:08
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
How little does an invite mean? Started by: -Draven- on Jun 24, '14 06:43

Draven stood a bit angerly on the street corner as she watched a few pass by her. Snatching a new man by the arm suddenly she looked up at him and drew in a long breath. 

"Sir.. I can't help but notice you are wearing the brand of crew on your sleeve. Yet I haven't seen you talk to anyone.. Explain?" She watched intently as the man stared at her back a bit wide eyed.

"Um. well You see I don't even know how I got here. I just got this thing and then it all happened so fast." The wide eyed man stared at her as if he had done something wrong and she suddenly let his arm go. 

"No  your fine." She shook her head in a bit of disgust as she swallowed hard and then stepped around the corner to find a soap box to rant on. 

Spying a few people noticing her stepping up so she could see a bit better she lit a smoke

"How little does an invite to your family mean when you randomly send out an invite? How little does an invite mean when the person you are inviting into your family doesn't even know what they just excepted?" She harshly flicks her smoke damn near breaking it in half. 

"I'm not  here to tell people how to run their own crews or anything of the such, but we talk about ranking meaning something in this thing of ours, hell how can a rank matter to some if even at the beginning of a persons start here an invite means nothing but a warm body to fill a whole. I might not be the most eliquent of recruiters and I might even send out a simple Hi how are you?  to spark a conversation and see if someone would be a good fit for The Loop. But I don't send an invite to someone I haven't even spoken to." 

She looks down and notices another that has come to ask her for help and they too don't know how they got into the situtation they are in.

"What happened to explaining to someone here that when they join a family they are bound at that moment by blood and loyalty, unless circumstances arise, that they are part of a family that is ment to help each other out and grow together. I simply don't understand. Have I misread the pages of what my ancestors and their teachers have actually taught me? Is this the new trend? 

Now I know it's not everyone, but I have seen it in a few places and I'm trying to understand. I know we are eat or be eatten here, but is this what we have resorted to? "

She flicks down her smoke and shakes her head.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $100,000 Tip

lronSight grabs a hand rail near him as tightly as he can,

"This is a subject I myself have been pondering how to bring to the attention of the masses. I know of at least 6 individuals who do little more than check to make sure their new member has a pulse. It's honestly disgusting, and I rarely see any of these members go on to do anything. I believe they're brought in like cattle and abandoned. Quite frankly, it's gotten to a point where I'd like to see the Godfather Council step in and maybe even start killing people for this. We need people to approach new blood lines, but we need them to do this with the intent to actually teach. Whoring is coming to an all time high because of the number of leaders out there, and I dare say a good number of my fellow 'leaders' are participating or willfully ignoring these disgusting practices."

lronSight begins to loosen his grip a bit,

"If the community at large plans to keep up nationwide criminal activity both now and in the future... something has to be done about these individuals. This isn't just an opinion either, I don't have numbers but I'm certain most of you who have noticed this have also noticed the level of activity from the mobsters recruited in this fashion is bordering on nonexistent."

Report Post Tip

Visas pauses and listens as Ironsight and Draven finish there piece she nods and remembers not to long ago after a kid had finished doing some work for her family, She had scrambled to get one of her Made Guys to chat to this kid only to see that an invite had been sent to the kid. No message had been sent to or from this kid.

As we had just spoken about this topic Draven it pains me to see the standards set to us from our own humble beginings slip to this where whoreing of New Blood on these shores has become common.

I feel that something has to be done here, As Ironsight bought Forth maybe addressed by the GodFather/Mother Council as we all know its hard enough for Familiys to grow while teaching there members the proper ways of doing things while others blatantly whore new blood fresh off the boat.

Visas takes a place next to her Old friend Draven and smiles

Next time your on the West Coast feel free to Drop into my HQ in Hollywood i am sure i can find some whiskey laying around for a drink or 20.

Report Post Tip
Ras had been roaming the streets half asleep, in a drunken stupor. After nearly stumbling into a bum, he turned a corner and saw a small gathering of people discussing the meaning of an invite. Ras listened intently, agreeing with what had been said for the most part.

"Heh, not a bad topic of choice. I myself have noticed all too often lately that a Thug will be housed, with little or in some cases absolutely no mail sent out. Now of course, there are some cases where they might have talked with a leader or their sponsors in the coffee shops and set up an invite, but I think this for the most part is a rarity."

Ras cleared his throat and continued.

"Without getting to know someone, at least on a rudimentary level before extending them an invite, you're almost begging to get someone that's not worth much in my opinion. Though this isn't always the case, how are you to know what someone stands for, or what they hope to achieve...if you've never so much as spoken the word 'hello' to them?"

"If I might however, there is a small bit of this speech that has me a bit uneasy. Though I think it is rather largely acknowledged these days that the 'value of rank' has decreased tremendously over the years, I'd like to point something out."

What happened to explaining to someone here that when they join a family they are bound at that moment by blood and loyalty

"I'm still firmly under the belief that nobody is actually bound to a family per say until the moment they obtain the rank of Made Man. Until that point in time, they're not actually part of the family, merely associated with said family."

"That being said, I do agree that they should get an explanation of what is expected of them, and how that particular family operates before they receive an invitation. It's a sad thing to think that having a heartbeat is qualification enough for some folks to want a Civilian or Petty Thug in their organization."
Report Post Tip
I've witnessed this occurring as of late, it is sickening to say the least. While I understand that recruitment isn't easy, throwing your crew that on every new body appearing off the boat is pathetic. If I was running the show, any member whoring crew would be removed from this world.
Report Post Tip

Having experienced this firsthand upon his return to these shores, Ox waits for a pause in the crowd to throw in his two cents.

"Pathetic that this does actually take place. For as many family leaders who actually care, there are just as many who are only trying to fill their ranks--bottom line. Having the privilege of running a family and then asking randoms to join is beyond me. There was obviously work put in (some more than others) to get to the top of your own crew but then to try to fill your ranks without quality in mind is rather strange to me."

Ox sighs heavily before nodding at Draven and pulling from his own experiences.

"Like I said, there are a few family leaders out there who seem to care. When fresh off the boat after returning to these shores after an extended vacation, Draven was one of the few crew leads who contacted me with what seemed like genuine interest in my well being and it's not gone unnoticed. Open to any questions I might of had about anything to do with this world of ours, she was glad to answer.

Now for every 'Draven' that contacted me, there were a handful of desperate, pushy entrepreneurs who's sole intention was branding me one of their own for no reason other than having another body in their organization. Their names, of course, will not be mentioned as it's not my place to do so. What kills me is why you would struggle to obtain your own crew (again, some more than others) and dilute your ranks with complete strangers, in the strongest sense of the word.

One explanation is the sheer number of families out there. With so many districts to fill and godfathers to please, having your own family does not seem to hold significant weight these days. Granted, you can easily distinguish the respectable families apart from their mongoloid half cousins."

Seeming to deplete his attention span Ox took a seat in a nearby coffee house, eager to see if the subject of this discussion will stumble onto the now growing riot outside.

Report Post Tip

It seems that most Crew leaders out there care about how the people they set as sponsors recruit. I have set standards and expectations for the people in my crew, just as they were set for me while I was in other crews in this life and in the past. I have Never been in a crew where member whoring was encouraged or even acceptable.   

As a crew lead it is almost impossible to track the amount of time a sponsor spent with a potential recruit before sending and invite. If you do suspect someone of taking these actions, you should be mailing their crew leads. Give them a heads up so they can further look into the situation. I personally would like to know and I am sure most others would aswell. 

Report Post Tip

Watching and listening to the topic BCp nods and agrees with most that is said. Raising his voice a little to be heard BCP expects this to be a good convo piece here on the streets.

Reading back through my bloodlines journals, this has always been around and a topic that has been discussed but rarely does any actual enforcement take place. It is hard to gage what you get "off the boat". Some sponsors simply do not care but to get the next person in. I've read that some people have gone as far as to pay to get members. But it also goes onto the leaders aswell. When they are brought in, any one within the family can take over the helping and or recruiting before they get here. A lot of leaders will do the leg work on getting the new members, but on the flip side a lot simple do not care. Its another number to fill the HQ, district and city. Personally, I feel if you set someone as a sponsor then its back on you. I know my bloodline has removed such people before so that cannot be done. But I know I have heard of deaths resulted from just doing it.

BCP figured he rambled a bit much so he takes a sip from his flask and lits a smoke awaiting the words from others.

Report Post Tip

Forever_Sexy sat in the back of the crowd puffing on his cigar, but decided he'd say a few words

I think this is a product of the world we live in.  Same as the people who want to complain about the decreasing meaning of rank, this is a by-product of the simple facts of the world.  The more people in your crew/district the stronger your crew and Godfathers are.  The more high ranks you have the more protected you are as well.

So, let me ask you, if knowing that there is power in numbers what is the point of not having large numbers?

I can't disagree with you that the meaning of an invite has decreased, but I don't see any way around it.  You've got a choice of trying to place more meaning on your invites, or having a stronger group.  Even if you do decide to try to change something, good luck with beating out the crew who doesn't care.  You've got to be fast or you don't get recruits.

Report Post Tip

After hearing what the other distinguished members of this thing of ours have said, bboy cant help but to agree with most of them. He then shares some of his thoughts...

I too dont agree with random sending of invites. My bloodline was raised during the time when I need to send a letter of request then it will be followed by an interview before I can be accepted in a crew. Perhaps things have changed. I'm not someone to tell weather it's for the better or not. For me it's on the crew leader's hands on how to manage his or her crew.

Report Post Tip

Jacob was walking down the street when he heard -Draven- talking about invites to the family and if it meens something or not 

I dont like to see new blood that has been invited without havent send any MM becuse you can never know anybody without talking to them first, and you need to talk to them to know if they are the right for your family or not 

I feel like its better to be building a family slow and with peoples that are there for the family and not just to be a number to fill it up 

Jacob takes a cigar out of his pocket and light it up, takes some puff's and takes a sip of a flask 

All new blood need to be thought how things work here and for some it takes more time to do that then with others that have had ancesters walking this shores before 

Jacob feel that he has sayd was he wanted to and tip his hat before he walks donw the street again 

Report Post Tip
I received this flyer moments after I jumped off the train into the big city

http://mehwhatever.com/profile/pics/imagebhb.jpg

Is that how business is done?
Report Post Tip
Apparently so...
Report Post Tip
(ooc: on from phone so if looks odd my apologies)

I have to simply interject on a few things. I'm glad to see so many feel the same.

I do however want to say numbers alone don't make you strong. 1000 untrained inactive individuals arent worth even 1 person who tries. BODIES don't make families. A lot of this thing of ours is making sure someone is happy with their choice of family. If they aren't do they stay learning or productive? Do they stay positive and abiding by the rules? How do you even know they will interact with your current members ok?

And I did immensely sigh Marcus at what I just saw.
Report Post Tip
Let's be real about this, this problem isn't just with the people who are recruiting, it's also with the people getting recruited.

A lot of the "experienced bloodlines" around here don't give anyone their kin doesn't know a chance in hell. Often times they don't even respond to recruitment attempts when the recruiter puts in exceptional effort. What's the point? "Experience" seems to equal dickhead nowadays.

It's easy to criticize when your experience can help pull in other "experienced" bloodlines (your MR friends), while others desperately try and don't even get a fucking response.

Now the remaining few that are truly new to this world are often snatched up as quick as possible out of desperation. I can't blame the recruiters, if they don't attempt it someone else will.

I don't condone it but it's becoming necessary with everyone being spread thin. The worlds changing.
Report Post Tip

lronSight looks at rw318,

"I greatly disagree with the idea it's acceptable or excused by these new times. I believe that the new times, with all these crew leaders, helps it to get ignored and excused because it's happening so frequently. The act of sending Invites without even attempting to get to know a person is an act of apathy not necessity. It's hard to work towards really filling up a family if you don't have friends lining up to get in, it's easy to just spam invites to anyone with a pulse."

lronSight turns to Altic,

"I'd rather not use names because I was specifically requested not to but there is one who definitely sent an invite after a maximum of one mail received from this new member very recently. I don't know how in depth that one mail is so it's possible there was enough to get to know a person, but I highly doubt it. I apologize for the lack of discretion but I feel people need to realize it's happening much more than you'd think."

lronSight turns back to the crowd.

"This is much more frequent than it should be. People need to start watching their own to make sure this doesn't happen, because if it gets bad enough that someone has evidence like Marcus has... that means that people just don't even care about the possible consequences of the shameful act anymore. I also believe that recruiters should be monitored by their own Leaders and people who consistently go out whoring should be punished for the same reason you'd punish one of your members caught shooting at CAs or other other mobsters without authorization. If we don't hold some type of standard then we open the door for things that will destroy the criminal enterprises nationwide. This type of behavior hurts everyone, top to bottom, and something has to be done."

Report Post Tip

Are you fucking kidding me, Capone? Seriously?

I believe that no matter what the day and age of a current society is that there is no place for this. At all.

There is no doubt at all that part of our jobs as upper structure and crewleaders involves recruiting to some degree but this is not the way. I mean, is that really what it has come down to these days? I quick message followed by an immediate invite without reply. 

Let me ask you a few questions. What happens if this person turns out to be a bad apple? Someone who has just found an easy way in to a family to build themselves up, get themselves promoted (something of which I have no doubt would be consideribly easy in your crew. I dare not call it a family) and then wreaks havoc across our country. How do you justify yourself then? There would have been no procedures in place at all from the get go that could have found this information out and helped prevent any harm done further down the line. 

Or on the other end of the scale and some of these people are brand new to our shores. Their blood never having seen what it was about at all or even those that have been around a little while but not long enough to establish a known bloodline yet. Those people that don't really know what to do or how things work yet. All they know is that some dude called Al_Capone dropped them an invite with a mail and they know nothing more than to accept it. What then happens if/when they realise they don't actually like it in your crew? Are they then free to go join someone else? Someone who has taken the time to get to know them and genuinely help them make the decisions that are best for them as a newer bloodline? I can't bloody imagine so. They're either stuck there earning money for a member whore or they'd have to suicide out or be shot. Their bloodline possibly then losing interest altogether. 

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and it needs to stop as a common practice among some individuals. I have counted 9 individual upper structure and crewleaders here already who condemn this way of doing things in one way or another. I've got news for us all. It's up to US to stop this from happening and examples should be made. Names should be shamed. The only way to stop these things from happening is by taking action to stop those select few that are doing what is widely seen as the wrong way of doing things.  Like member whoring. Or 'Caponing' as I may now start calling it. 

I'd like to hear Capone's side as well to be honest. Can someone point him in the direction of the streets?

Report Post Tip

" IT has NOT always been done.. This is new and its rather bothersome. I was hit with a invite. With NO message or anything. I knew the rules and how to look for a family and I did so.. But to those that do not know it could be misleading. I understand how it helps the family... But does it help anything else.. Takes the RP out and I thought this was what it was all about." Oh well Being a tyrant is in.

Report Post Tip

lronSight looks at rw318,

"I greatly disagree with the idea it's acceptable or excused by these new times. I believe that the new times, with all these crew leaders, helps it to get ignored and excused because it's happening so frequently. The act of sending Invites without even attempting to get to know a person is an act of apathy not necessity. It's hard to work towards really filling up a family if you don't have friends lining up to get in, it's easy to just spam invites to anyone with a pulse."

This shits nobodies fault but our own. We've made it a necessity for young recruits. If most could be honest, they'd tell you they'd pass up a well thought out recruitment for a friends "omg, join me, we get crew!!". Cause and fucking effect. People want change? Well fucking change!

Ill tell you right now, I don't recruit anymore because of that bullshit.

Maybe if people took the time to have a one on one with their sponsors, shit would be different. What can you do though? Other than take the fucking time to weigh options or teach.

its all opinion though.

Report Post Tip

"You're right rw318, it's on everyone and people who abuse sponsors are to blame as well but that's a lot harder to police. Realistically I don't think there's much if anything we can do even if I agree it is a serious problem. My opinion is that problems like this can't go ignored and I can attack one end of it so I'll do what I can where I can. Maybe we could help with the other end by speaking with the Gods about an indicator for first generation accounts or something but for now we can control how the recruiters approach them so I say we should do that."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: How little does an invite mean?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL