Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 09:18:56
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
A Letter to Reigning Godfathers Started by: Katra on Jan 16, '15 01:50

Katra looked out the window of The Kapowskis HQ. As she watched the snow blow around the streets of the Windy City she pushed away her pile of paper work and the money she had intended on counting. As she watched the snow swirl around the city streets an idea had come to her. She had, had felt so much confusion since this new reign of Godfathers had started. She figured that she would take a moment to address some of the old things to each of them with a simple letter.

The letter would be simple and to the point. Katra enjoyed not beating around the bush when she felt something should be addressed and she hoped the leaders that currently reigned would take no offense where none is meant.

Her thoughts continued in that direction as she grabbed a paper and some pen. Without much hesitation she started to pen her thoughts out to the Godfathers.

To the Reigning Godfathers of all Cities,

I would just like to say Congratulations. You are at the top but with being at the top comes things that may need to be dealt with or thought over. How best to get these things than by seeing how other people think and getting an idea of how they feel. I get this may be awkward since I have never written to a majority of you. However, there are some things to think about.

Looking back at the previous reign they had set out some rules. Some good, and some iffy I suppose. I would like to address some of these because there may be some confusion as to if any are still in effect in our community.

Firstly, let us look at Sponsoring 101. Lately, I have seen new civilians looking to join our community. They have had many questions and some seemed genuinely confused after a quick read through a tutorial handbook. I believe that touching base with these members even if they have not done jobs for your family is a great thing. Maybe we need to look at informative sponsoring rather than completely ignoring unless jobs are done. Perhaps if sponsors could create something that explains what it is the civilian should be doing. It doesn't necessarily have to be a promotion to their family but rather a suggestion that they should learn to speak first to individuals, get a grasp of what each family has to offer in the time period they are granted and then make a decision.

I get it not all leaders are the same. Not all leaders have the same values, morals or standards. Not all members would fit with any one leader so it is important to get a member that fits, is it not? One that would be happy to contribute to your goals. Happy to send their money and fight for you on the battlegrounds should it ever come to that.

Information about this would be better than playing deaf that there is a new civilian in our community looking for guidance just because they have not done a job for you.

Secondly, Protection Orders. Oh yes, this will be lovely and hopefully short. Protection orders are clearly needed during an accident that may befall any leader. You just never know when that horse will fall and you along with it to your death. So there is clearly a need for this. I personally propose that this does not last for two weeks. I mean really most IAs are killed within a week, why let someone possible plan a rogue in the two weeks that they are protected. Not to mention that active individuals in our community never get that full protection anyways for the rogue factor.

I would like to see the "No safe listing of Made Men and higher" to remain in effect. Those people had pledged their lives to their leaders. If you take out the leader, they should go with them. I am sure I have addressed this in the streets under "Questionable Loyalty?" so I will not waste your time with my thoughts on this.

Moving onto Crew Tags/Affiliation. There is not much to say on this. This should remain in effect without a doubt.

Now I would like to address a new idea to add to this list. Something that has come up in public coffee shops.

Auth speeches are somewhat tired and tedious. They are such an easy way to get through the Street VIP points but have you really considered them? I know many may be used up stories, which works for them but I just wonder if it would be more useful to have just one per auth? Instead of two.

What exactly am I suggesting? It's simple. I am suggesting that the person doing the authing has the original speech. The person getting authed contributes to that speech as they deem fit. This would take away from the multiple speeches aspect.

Does this really lessen the Street VIP? I do not think so. You can still gain it through your contributions to any discussion, speeches or story that is being presented.

I hope that you will take everything I have spoken about and discuss it among yourselves.

Thank you for your time,

~Katra

Making a copy for every Godfather in our community before sealing them with hot wax. She had the young lad from down the street make his way out for deliveries. Of course she paid for his flight and accommodations for this task.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

A knock came on Whatsername's door, one of her men brought a sealed letter to her desk and explained that it had just been delivered. Whatsername thanked him and broke the seal opening the letter. As she sat reading it she smiled to herself. Once she had read it over a few times she grabbed her stationary pad and her favourite ink pen and began writing back.

Katra, 

Firstly I would like to thank you for bringing your ideas forward, not only to me but the other Godfather's in this thing of ours. Currently there is a conversation circulating amongst the Godfathers that I have to thank Curtis for getting rolling. This conversation includes just what you have brought forward to us, rules or standards to carry us all through. There are many topics within this discussion and I do not feel it is my place yet to bring them to light as not every Godfather has had the opportunity to add their ideas to the conversation. The circulation of this discussion will hopefully wrap up shortly and then any areas that needed further discussion will be tabled at a meeting before bringing them to the public.

With that I am not shutting your ideas down nor trying to discourage you or anyone from being these topics forward either publicly or privately. In fact I encourage anyone with further thoughts to let one or all of us know. I only want to assure you that a discussion of these types of things is currently moving forward, with results expected soon.

Whatsername

With the letter complete Whatsername sealed her own envelope and sent for someone to deliver her reply to Chicago and directly to Katra.

Katra was just leaving the HQ for her nightly travels when she noticed a young lad walking up with an envelope. As she stepped aside to allow them in, figuring it would be another admirer for Kelly, she caught a glimpse of her name on the envelope. Quickly stopping the lad she took the envelope with a "Thank you."

Letting him in to rest in a common room she took the envelope over to her own desk and broke the seal. Glancing down at the letter she began to read and nod along with the words. Picking up the pen she had left on the desk previously and a fresh sheet of paper she began to pen back to the Godfather of South Philly.

Godfather Whatsername,

Thank you for such a speedy reply to my ideas and thoughts. It brings me some comfort to know that these are currently being discussed amongst yourselves and I can understand waiting until further to bring it all to the public.

I had really hoped to gain that others would also bring their ideas up at this point as well. I had hoped it would open a door way for those that may not be at the top to give their insight. I do not mean to offend but the rules do govern many people so I thought that it would be helpful if there was more insight when considering things as well. Perhaps that have written more privately of their thoughts.

I look forward to the time that these topics have been finalized and brought to the public.

Thank you for your time,

~Katra

Folding the paper up, Katra placed it into an envelope and sealed it once more with her wax. Heading back to the common lounge area she saw that the lad was still there. Gratefully she placed a few bills in their hand and sent them back to South Philly.

Report Post Tip

Seeing Katra felt the need to keep talking after she'd already been furnished with a perfectly succinct and complete answer, Curtis sighed and attempted to expand on the already clear point. 

"Many people have forwarded their ideas to several of us and a good number of people have been included in the ongoing discussion. Your ideas have been noted are being considered alongside similar ones put forward by several people with varying angles on each. All suggestions and mails have been considered and the anonymity of each person contributing has been maintained. 

The length of time this is taking is merely a reflection of how many different things are being considered and how many different people are being consulted in the process. As none of us here are new to this, we are quite comfortable with taking our time to ensure workable solutions for everyone."

Report Post Tip

To be short, a fair chunk of the current recruiting messages are horrendously bad. I've also noticed a surge in the popularity of rather short and lacking recruitment messages. Some at least try to incorporate some dialogue (roleplay), which I can appreciate. If I can recall the street thread from HubertCapone correctly, one of the reasons NY was brought down as because of 'falling standards'. While I understand falling standards are bad, they aren't going to be better when you let them go into a free-fall, you know?

There is nothing wrong with auth speeches, except that I think they if there are two, they can be combined into a single thread, which was your point, I think. 

What the Godfathers are actually saying is: ''We acknowledge your ideas but we're going to do things like we want it done.'' (that is how it looked to me, albeit worded better). And that's how it should be, to be honest.

Then again, I'm just an economist drifting about. Only thing I have an issue with is the recruiting.

Lord Keynes

Report Post Tip

Katra listened to Curtis until he was finished.

I think that you Sir may have missed my point of my reply. What I was aiming for was for those that maybe felt intimidated by the current leaders could have a safe place in which to voice their opinions. Maybe approaching Godfathers does not seem like an idea most would take up, but the letters are a brilliant venue in which to express thoughts or ideas just as a speech is.

She turned her attention to Keynes.

Ah Keynes, it is good to hear from someone else. Personally, I had a pretty good sense of where I was going when I got here so I hadn't had to experience recruitment messages. In fact I didn't entirely think they were still going since the last reign. Perhaps with a change over others scrapped what was beforehand. I do agree with your final statement about the free-fall. Free-falls do not lead to good standards so perhaps that will be something they take into consideration as well.

Ah yes well I know what they were saying. However, my aim was not entirely just to be heard on my own thoughts and ideas. I wanted other people to get their chance as well. Perhaps there are people that have not been consulted that maybe would like to be heard? I am not shy so I have no issues addressing things (if I can come up with a way to properly do so) that I think or ideas I may have. Others may have some form of shyness or fear that keeps them from approaching the higher structures to voice their thoughts.

Report Post Tip

I am not shy so I have no issues addressing things (if I can come up with a way to properly do so) that I think or ideas I may have.

I'd be keen to hear or see some of these ideas Katra. In fact, I'd love it. It'd be a far more interesting discussion than simply regurgitating rules that have been discussed in great detail in recent times and stating your individual opinion on them.

Report Post Tip

While real change will most likely come from the smoking barrel of a gun I can nevertheless appreciate it when both new blood and experienced mobsters bring their ideas and thoughts to the table.

Report Post Tip

Ah Setanta, I did indeed place an idea while discussing those rules. I suggested informative sponsoring. I know you and I have had a small discussion about this in the coffee shop so I am repeating what I had said already but for everyone to see.

Informative sponsoring would not be just about trying to recruit to your own family but acknowledging that new blood has no idea about how our community is ran. So instead of just simply aiming to get them in your headquarters it would be about teaching them and finding them a proper spot in which they can do well in. After all it is more important to me to have quality members (and this includes ones that are happy working for their leader) rather than the opposite. If you are satisfied in your career you will likely do much better than if you hate it.

I realize I did not go into much detail about what I meant so for that I apologize, but it was brought up.

Katra smiled at Keynes.

In most cases you would be right but I will not stop trying for change in the vocal method. If it happens to fall on deaf ears, so be it. I will keep trying.

Report Post Tip

Dana steps into the streets wearing her infamous little black dress and golden heeled pumps, she glances up and down at the assembled people speaking in hushed tones.

With a tilt of her wide brimmed hat she steps amongst them as politly as possible to share her thoughts;

"Long has my family and bloodlines watched these streets and the many faces who have passed through it. I  do not speak lightly in the streets because I was taught it is a place to come when someone has something important or serious to say. As that is very obviously the case with those who have already spoken, then too let me raise my voice on a few important issues, if I may. I have watched the old shall we say 'ring of 'leadership' fall quietly, and I look at those in power now and must say, we seem to have as a group achieved a new found level of things which are and are not acceptable and I for one find it very pleasant. No longer are shots against upstanding members of this thing of ours tolerated or hidden. Respect is given more now days not out of fear, not out of habit or tradition, but because it is the new acceptable default. Personally, I quietly applaud this as well to the point it brought me to the streets to speak. No longer does there seem to be a 'Oh kill him/her, it'll be okay we'll cover it up' atmosphere, or a rule by a single city out of fear what we seem to have now is a community built on respect, omerta, and people actually being decent to each other because being a jerk is no longer tolerated. I am in favor of the changes of the past month or so, and look forward to doing anything I can to help making this thing of ours the best it can be for a good time to come. Thank you all for hearing me today."

Dana tips her  hat, then smiles and turns stepping back amongst the gathered to listen a bit more.

Report Post Tip

Going to talk a bit more about the current recruitment process...

Just when I thought recruitment couldn't get any worse.. I get this. I though the point of jobs was to attract people to your crew, often by giving out good and interesting jobs for them to do? Now apparently it's just about getting a handful of cash and getting a mail. Sad to see how standards have slipped.. If the intention of the NY takedown was to stop standards falling, how about you guys take out LV (and all the others that let standards slip? Oh wait, that's yourself!)

So you wanted some more cash hey?

How about joining us for bigger opportunities :)

This text was provided by the BlackJack crew.

Has anyone contacted you yet?

If not. Take this cash to send some mail to BlackJack
Here mate. Have some start up cash.
You did some work for the BlackJack crew. You were paid $75 for your time. If you do enough work for them they may take an interest in you.
Report Post Tip

I really don't know what people are expecting? Promises to be made that will eventually be broken or forgotten, aspirations of the new reigning families will soon turn to despair and love of the reigning families will eventually turn to hate.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

It's a cycle that has not been broken as of yet. I doubt anyone will do so either.

Report Post Tip

Its always lovely to see that level irrepressible optimism thrown into a discussion, V. Thanks man.

Rest in peace Bretton. I think if I'd encountered communication like that when I first arrived off the boat, I might have offed myself too. Pretty awful stuff.

Report Post Tip

Optimism and realism don't come hand in hand there, Curtis. It's not even a chink in the armour of the ruling families, it is just a realistic outlook on our lives. Sure, it's nice to think that we can create some sort of utopian society where everyone is nice and happy and won't say boo to a goose, but that is unrealistic. It's something that my bloodline has said when they have been at their highest, and when they have been at their lowest.

Report Post Tip

"Okay then.... Bretton, I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention although it seems it's a little too late to do so. I will go ahead and respond to your concerns though, since I believe it is an important issue to discuss. But first..."

Sydney attempted to pull the body over to a nearby building so she could rest it against a wall instead of leaving it laying in the middle of the street.. but alas, she didn't have the upper body strength to do so. She looked around and noticed nobody was paying her any mind... so she rolled him out of traffic's way and onto the sidewalk. Standing up she brushed the dirt off her knees and smiled.

"I won't stand here and defend the actions my auth has been called out about. I agree with you, they are quite deplorable. I have spoke to him about them, and it seems there was a bit of a communication on my part. I had recently urged my auths to set up jobs for the new people arriving to our shores on a daily basis.. I did not take into consideration at the time that he was also trying to set up his Head Quarters on top of helping with other odd jobs that I needed help with. I told him to just throw a hook out there, see what fish he could catch and we'd worry about minute details later on. I obviously didn't mean it to be like this, but it is on me for not being precise with what I expected. So I will gladly take the fall for this one. (OOC: For a brief period of time he was unable to access MR through anything other than his phone. He did have jobs written up before this became an issue but was unable to copy them into the job page. I told him to write something up in the mean time.) 

I apologize that this was your first impression on Las Vegas, I can guarantee it is not an accurate one...  but we sadly cannot change what has already done. We can however take advantage of the situation and use it to better ourselves. Which we have, and we quickly remedied the issue at hand."

Report Post Tip

Sure, it's nice to think that we can create some sort of utopian society where everyone is nice and happy and won't say boo to a goose, but that is unrealistic. 

I wouldn't suggest for a second that is possible. That wouldn't be optimistic, it would be naive to the point of the ridiculous. Rules will be made and enforced and some people won't like it. Some people will do better than others and there will be death and tears in equal measure with life and happiness. What we will do, is work toward a viable platform for business and a fair set of rules that everyone can live and die by with as little complaint as possible.

Only a fool expects to live forever or not be punished for mistakes. As long as those rules that govern are accepted as fair, then the complaints and ill feeling are mitigated to a manageable point where society can function and an era of prosperity can endure.

What we are working toward will be far from perfect, nothing ever is, but it will be accepted by all the district heads, nation-wide, as a viable solution to our mutual needs.

BIg_Daddy_G is strolling down the street and suddenly hears a debate... And desided to add a little something

"How long has it been since the fall of all these old godfathers? It hasn't been that long if my memory servers correct. I'm sure they have high standards they indend to put into place, just need to time to work out the kinks."

Don BlackJack approaches the group discussing the current issues in the community and takes a seat. He awaits a break in the conversation before addressing the group.

"I sit here with you all to address the concerns raised with my former Jobs. I note that before we begin, I have since updated my pre-determined jobs to reflect the current standards that I are in place.

Firstly, I would like to mention that I in no way disagree with the sentiment of the late BrettonWoods and would like to thank him for bringing this to my attention, despite how public it has been. It was always my intention to replace my temporary jobs with more detailed scripts, however due to an oversight on my part, I never did get around to it until recently.

Secondly, the jobs that are shown above are in no means the way that I welcome people into my crew. I rather take an approach where I encourage one on one personalised communication rather than pre-scripted jobs. Each and every member that join my crew has an in-depth conversation with either myself or one of my sponsors. This way, in my own view, they are more likely to become active members and feel like part of the community, rather than just feeling as though they are being involved in a script. Many of my members who are new to the game have voiced concerns about talking to an NPC rather than an actual player. I think this issue comes from them not being contacted by sponsors. I note that each of the people who visit my job board are contacted by online sponsors, and any sponsors who are seen to be deactivated for not contacting new players on a regular basis are removed from having the privileged of sponsoring new members.

With this issue now resolved and put to the side, I would like to announce that many residents of Las Vegas will be working quite hard to increase our activity in both the streets and the Business Districts. We are implementing a program to introduce players who have not previously been active into the business districts, with an ultimate goal of teaching them how to conduct themselves in the streets."

Don BlackJack sips from his flask before sitting back to listen to the continuing conversation.

Satanic was out for a stroll when he heard some people speaking.

He stops and awaits his turn to speak, and after hearing his own boss speak on the matter decided to step up himself.

"When my father was shot , and I was called upon to fill his shoes in this land, I was thinking of the stories he and my grandfather told me, sure I was sad I mean he was my father after all, but he told me stories about the times he had with his brothers in arms here. I at first came to a place that seemed like a eventful place to be based on their job scripts. Until I had to message several people to even begin speaking about joining, not a single person from their city spoke to me. Then tired of being treated like I was nothing I came to Las Vegas, and at first I was suspicious about meeting the same thing here after I did a few jobs that were frankly quite bland. However unlike the previous city almost immediately I had a mail from the family I had been working for. After a bit of talking I found the crew to be much more friendly, and frankly much higher in activity aswell. I was accepted here within minutes of arriving. Treated as if I had been here all along and we were old friends. Now that was the thing I was looking for. Now you all may be confused as to what my point was, well my point is just because someone has the nicest of job scripts does not mean that they're aren't lazy or that they are willing to make time for and accept new members. The high rollers at the time had been pretty new and our CL was focused on other tasks such as but not limited to getting our HQ forum squared away. I simply believe the best sponsors are the ones who seek out new members and make them feel at home. Simply do not judge a book by it's cover, that's all I have to say."

Goat steps back into the crowd.
Report Post Tip

Katra merely listened to Dana. Nodding along as she listened.

I am honored that this would make you speak up. Always happy for more input into this discussion.

Taking a look at the rest that were taking she tried her best to follow along.

Curtis, I am glad to see that you can acknowledge that nothing is perfect. I am curious though about the rules. I get that you feel they will be accepted by Upper Structure all around but do you think they will be accepted by the greater masses who do not make up the Upper Structures? I ask merely out of curiosity.

Listening to the conversation about Las Vegas she had to reread a few journals.

Only thing I can attest to is an ancestor of mine had run ins with recruitment from Las Vegas that was less than stellar. However, my ancestor chose to speak directly to Sydney and it was taken care of. So while I can understand bringing it to the streets, I am curious why it was not also brought up on a one on one level with her or BlackJack?

With one final look around she spots Big_Daddy_G.

Ah yes well to work out the kinks why should they not have some ideas from people that wish to speak up and give them in a discussion that feels less intimidating than a one on one conversation?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A Letter to Reigning Godfathers
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL