Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 20:57:36
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Disrespect/Respect Started by: Percival on Feb 25, '15 16:19

Percival walks on to these streets of ours and flips a nearby soap box, jumping on to he then begins to clear his throat. After what had happened the last few hours he was a bit croaky.

So I come here today to ask some of you what RESPECT is, as the last few days we have seen a few people DISRESPECT Godmothers and Godfathers. It is these people that this is aimed at. I would like for you low lives to explain what RESPECT is, or what you think it is as I am sick to my stomach seeing low lives DISRESPECT these with the rank of DON and Godmothers and Fathers. Where do you think this will get you? Do you need me to tell you where it gets you?  

It gets you KILLED that's where.

Now back to where I was, you don't see Godmother/Fathers out in these streets DISRESPECTING you, so why do you think that is? Is it because they just cant be fucked? No that is because they have a thing called RESPECT. Myself, I don't think there's enough of it in our shores, day in day out you have some Thug DISRESPECTING GodMothers and GodFathers. I don't know about the rest of you but this gets my back up, and I for one would like to see these people maybe LEARN some RESPECT. Maybe it's because they have not been here long, or they're still bitter over a death of an ancestor but still there is no need to come out on our Streets and Funeral and DISRESPECT them its just a big NO NO in my eyes. If you wanna do something about it like it say's when you start this life, RANK UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. It don't say hit THUG and DISRESPECT those in power. I just think it's bullshit how you can come out here and DISRESPECT them when, really, what the fuck have you done in your life time? I tell ya what you have done time and time again, DISRESPECTED someone and had a bullet in the head.

Percival steps down after his rant and waits to hear what the members with RESPECT have to say.

Report Post Tip

Entitlement is the answer to this, I should think. Too many people are fresh off the boat, but act like they have been here for ages. All they have in fact accomplished by that point, however, is hear rumors of things their ancestors have done or maybe read a journal or two. These new, fresh faces think that because someone in their family tree might have been someone important that they now have the right to speak to whomever they please however they please.

There is an underlying principle that ought to govern this thing of ours, and it is simple: respect is earned, never given. No one should give two flying fucks what your great grandfather did -- they should give a fuck about what you do. Too often this is cast aside by people who wish to circumvent the traditions governing how things are done in this thing of ours.

Report Post Tip

Very good point Dexter like i said most are just bitter i get that but why not rank up and try do something about it? instead of comeing out here speaking bullshit it gets you nowhere, And yes respect is earned not given but on the other had when your speaking to someone with the rank of Godmother/Farher or even a Don you speak to the with respect its just the right thing to do.

Report Post Tip
Dexter hit the nail right on the head. This is always an issue and will continue to be an issue. Folks come to these streets and feel they are due something. Whether they feel that way from the get-go or because they are made to feel that way are up to debate. Many times some of our friendships prosper with ones father or mother. Then the child rides on the coat tails of their relatives. We are all guilty of allowing this. I think because we are human. Relations are forged with the person behind the player and not the role that the player is playing.
Report Post Tip

Cinnamon smiled as she listened on. She felt people only looked at one side of things rather than flipping it over to have another look. She decided to put her two cents in for whatever they worth. Probably not much by the looks of placement stuck on ranks rather than reasonable thought but she would say her piece nonetheless.

I hate to play the devil's advocate but do you know what goes on behind the scenes? In letters to such? Perhaps something happened in a conversation that was private that may have caused the scene in the public eye?  I hate to say it but there is usually more than one side to every situation. Each person's side and somewhere in the middle, the truth.

Respect is earned, not given. Just because someone earned the respect to join the bold does not mean that the thug automatically would know anything that they have done. Just as the grandfather's deeds should not be considered, it is foolish to assume that the Godfathers deeds should be known to all throughout the land. It is just not the case.

Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting disrespect on any level. Just saying that perhaps there is more to look at, that may be just between the two people involved.

Having said her thoughts, Cin wandered off back to the nearest drug dealer.

Report Post Tip

While I do agree that there is always two sides to every story, I cannot on any level agree that it is ever okay for a fresh faced Thug to openly disrespect a senior mafioso who has earned their stripes on these shores. Those Dons and Godfathers have very much earned the right to not be disrespected by someone who is still, for all points and purposes, a wannabe.

Those new faces do, however, also have the right to disrespect those in power. That is their choice to make, after all. They must also understand, however, that it will not be tolerated and that they are also choosing to die for violating a code of respect.

Report Post Tip

most are just bitter i get that but why not rank up and try do something about it?

Because they can 't.  They lack the ability to have patience and therefore they will not rank.  They want instant gratification and respect.  That's why.  And that's why most will fade away in time to allow a new fresh faced civilian fresh off the boat to repeat history.  If there's one thing my makers taught Fist-O it's as long as there is air there will be idiots.

Report Post Tip

Not all 'loudmouths' are bad apples though and I definitely wouldn't consider it a matter of 'entitlement' even the majority of the time. There's been plenty of bloodlines say what they want to say, suicided or got shot and then their son/daughter goes on to become a very respectable member of society. Sometimes it is just about blowing off some steam I think. We all deal with the loss of our parents in different ways, some vent to their friends, some vent on the streets. 

We are an eclectic bunch, that's what keeps our world spinning and interesting. If we all reacted the same to every situation this would be a very dull place to be.

A lot also depends on what bloodline that 'loudmouth' comes from when it comes to the general public's reaction. Some folk can get away with more than others or being able to word things in such a way that there is always an air of uncertainty...is he/she disrespecting so-and-so? Or are they legit?.

Their blood probably ARE going to rank up and try do something about it (and likely fail), but that was obviously not possible for themselves as they had created too much of an aura of disrespect. I'm pretty sure their son/daughter is watching is right now.

Report Post Tip
To be honest with you, sometimes there's no respectful ways to tell someone the truth. Sometimes the truth itself, laid out plain and simple is disrespectful. Sometimes the truth needs to be said regardless of who it cuts.

I think we can all agree that when opinions seem to mean more, they get voiced less frequently. Ranking up halts most people from even stepping out onto the streets to voice an opinion.

Being a crew less thug is the only time your opinion reflects on nobody but yourself. I guess its a bit of freedom that their parents didn't have.
Report Post Tip
Sammy. This is very well said and not something many think about. Many times a crew less thug is viewed as disrespectful and dealt with when they turn gangster. Respect or disrespect is merely the view of the preceptor. I have seen many times that older members can speak like a thug without retribution. However, a thug or young gangster speaks in the same fashion and it is disrespect. Then moments later funeral arrangements are being made.
Report Post Tip

AlanWatts ponders the comments made and strokes his beard before offering his own view. 

A vein of thought I have always believed where matters of respect are concerned is as follows. If you think someone is an idiot don't just call them one as this always comes across as disrespectful and then the rest of your words are never listened too, instead, make them look like an idiot for the rest of the world to see. 

AlanWatts puffs on his pipe and continues to listen.

Report Post Tip

Just because someone earned the respect to join the bold does not mean that the thug automatically would know anything that they have done. Just as the grandfather's deeds should not be considered, it is foolish to assume that the Godfathers deeds should be known to all throughout the land.

I cannot agree with Dexter more on his reply to that. As much as a Thug deserves a right to speech, he should not in any way take advantage of that. There is no scenario that I can imagine where a thug would go about bad mouthing some high-ranked mafioso and not face the consequences for it.

As for the part about the thug being oblivious to the Godfather's achievements, is it probable cause for them to disrespect someone who has clearly achieved a fucking lot more than the thug has? In this part of the world, every person has to be conscious about his image and if that is lost, it's very easy to get shit on. A top tier in the mafia league is supposed to strike fear into the heart of the enemy, and if a measly thug can stand up to them, how will they be feared? You really can't be serious if you expect a Godfather not to take out the trash if it's piling up on his doorstep, can you?

Report Post Tip

I'm actually intrigued to know if this happens more than I see on the streets. Cause the anger you're showing in your first comments Percival, seemed really fed up. Sometimes I think if we collectively put an end to this and lead by example, these cases would go away. Lately, to me at least, it looks that way. And we have some leaders to thank for that and a few others who decide to act upon these signs of disrespect and such.

Moving on to other comments though...

Just because someone earned the respect to join the bold does not mean that the thug automatically would know anything that they have done. Just as the grandfather's deeds should not be considered, it is foolish to assume that the Godfathers deeds should be known to all throughout the land.

Wrong. Most utterly wrong on so many levels. You are a civilian once you first come onto these shores. You cannot hack it working the legit life so you decide to talk to your uncle who's connected. You get into the life. You are an associate working for someone "bold", like you put it. You are working for a leader who actually puts his name on the line for you while you try to make a living. One thing you are missing is that these select few are leaders for a reason. They were either put there by more powerful people, or they took it by force. Either way, you should know where your respect go towards. 

You cannot be that oblivious to this and if you are, then theres not much going for you in this life.

Report Post Tip

The Rock and his ancestors have spoken at great length in the past about honour. In fact the Rock was planning to come out here today and ask a similar question, which he'll have to put on the back burner. So in lieu of other entertainment, allow the Rock to regale you with tales of what honour is.

We have several levels in this thing of ours. The Bottom of the Barrel is the Civilian. Civilians generally float by us and are paid no heed, unless they are a target for a crime. We show no honour to them, they show none to us. Should they dishonour us, stick their noses into our business, speak openly in the streets about our actions or certain individuals then this is a breach of Omerta. The civilain hasn't taken the oath, but it is the duty of every button man to protect and uphold the oath. If that means killing some slack jawed jabroni for speaking out of turn, then that's the way it needs to be. The streets are our domain, and frankly the Rock would like to see the protection of the Gods disappear if a civilian comes into the streets and addresses any of us. You have moved from being below our radar to being smack bang in the middle of it. Why should the Gods afford them protection and allow them to jeopardise everything we have worked so hard for? But that is a discussion for another day, and another street.

Just above the civilians, we have the great unwashed, your everyday common garden variety criminal. Unsponsored Thugs, gangsters, goombas and earners. Personally I think its an affront that these common thugs should take our ranks for themselves when they are nothing to do with us. They move in on our territories, attack the very foundation of our honoured society by answering to no one, and paying no tribute. In my mind they are free game. If someone like this dishonours you, kill them, where they stand, end of story. You owe them nothing, they are scum, with nothing in common with us.

Just above the great unwashed, we have the associates. Common criminals though they may be, they do our work. They answer to the same bosses, they pay their tribute. But the books have not been opened. They don't have their buttons. As such they are also without honour. They have not taken the same oaths as you or I. They are not truly members of the family. If one of these dishonours you, then again he should be shot, dead. Think of it this way, less than 70 years ago, slavery was legal in the USA. If my slave gave you cheek in public, you'd expect him to be whipped at the very least. It may be unpalatable as a thought to most in this enlightened age, but associates are little more than slaves. They live purely because the boss allows it. They work for us because the boss demands it, and anything they own, is purely because the boss allows it. If they hold out and the boss finds out, you better believe the boss will be seeking retribution.

Finally, we cross a yawning chasm, and get to the Button men. Those of us for whom the books have been opened. There should be mutual respect between all men of honour. Wars have been fought in the past because of a perceived dishonour performed by one family to another. If one of your button men disrespects a button man of another family, then he should be punished, automatically, you shouldn't have to wait for a complaint, if you do, it may already be too late. Obviously the punishment depends on the transgression, a written apology, a fine, take his gun, demotion and possibly even death. Its perfectly fine for the Rock to bitch and moan about you in private, behind your back, but in public everything should be polite and pleasant, likewise on your end. This doesn't mean that we can't disagree, you have your opinion and the Rock has his. In fact the Rock is in no doubt that many here will disagree with what he has just said. But that's fine. its all part of what makes us unique.

Now the Rock said finally... yeah the Rock says Finally a lot, but button men aren't the final tier either. Above them we have Hands, Crewleaders, Captains, Captain's hands, Godfathers, and their hands and finally Godfather Chairmen and their hands. Respect, unlike shit, rolls uphill, it defies gravity. Step on the toes of someone who out ranks you, and you may end up in a pine box.

Its true though, we have lost our way. People seldom show respect anymore, and don't punish disrespect as much as they did in the old days. Again the Rock has said this before, but he will say it again. There was no golden age for us. Things were no better 10 or 12 years ago than they are today, with the exception of one thing. Respect, and the punishment of those who show disrespect.

Report Post Tip

A topic of interest caught Scarfo's attention. He'd been about doing business between NY and PH, and had kept on ear on the grape vine yet hadn't stepped out to add to a topic for a week or so. Moving liquor, keeping the dope game kicking along and organizing this weeks poker event at his spot Red Velvet in South Philly.

It also wasn't just that he were busy, but that nothing had really stood out as much as this topic currently being discussed. He was drawn to it like a mosquito to light, and just as some would use fire or a zapper to rid themselves of these little pesky fucks, he also thought that's exactly what got rid of these disrespectful so and sos. A good fuckn zap.

I think it's natural for some to be disrespectful. It's something that's kind of taught to a degree and some just don't seem to get that teaching as their parents were maybe a little preoccupied with other shit, or they just left them to figure it out for themselves. Some catch on quickly and follow by the example of others or through first hand failures, yet some will never really understand the concept. And the only way to deal with it in this thing of ours, is with a heavy hand.

It irks me to see more respected members being spoken to with attitude and disdain yet it also makes me think that they simply didn't know any better. Because if they did, they wouldn't be doing it. And if they know better, they get exactly what they ask for in the end.

Maybe it comes down to a lack of discipline in this thing of ours, yet from witnessing certain individuals lately disrespecting the more established of criminal minds around these parts, they've all been dealt with the same way. A much needed and applauded bullet to the dome.

I quiet like the concept of boundaries being tested. Take my dog for example. He will continue to try and get my attention when I'm eating food. I'm filling my belly, and he wants some of what I got. He creeps forward and tries to get closer and closer. He keeps at it, till I tell him with a firm warning to back the fuck up. If he doesn't, I slap him with the daily paper. He soon enough gets the message.

Dogs need to be consistently told their place. And these disrespectful fucks needs to consistently be reminded theirs also. I love my dog, and I think he loves me too. I just think he tests my boundaries, because it's in his nature. Sometimes he'll shit in the wrong place, and I just need to remind him what's right, and what's wrong. I think respect in this thing of ours is much the same way.

It's a good thing to have some disrespectful members of our community test the boundaries so others know what happens when you get a little too out of line. A good fuckn zap. I think we need disrespect as much as we need respect; it reminds others what's expected, and what's not.

Report Post Tip

Cin chuckled softly.

I think you all are missing the point where I went on to say I don't agree with a thug being disrespectful in a public venue. I merely wanted to point out there is likely more to a story then what you see. 

Disrespect is much more of a problem on both ends of the stick. It is not just thugs and low rankers either. Blaming just one group rather than looking at the other is in my opinion, very wrong.

Report Post Tip

Leaning against a light post listening to the many mafioso of various ranks discuss the meaning of Respect, Chun_Li decided to jump on the band wagon, although there wasn't much she could really say that wasn't already touched on..

I think the majority of us pretty much agree on the meaning of Respect, who earned the right to wear the badge and should be treated accordingly, and who has yet to earn the right to so much as be in the same air space as the Don's and GF's..It's a sad fact that there are a few out there who live in a totally different reality than what their ancestors who once held a prestigious position in society had lived..As a few pointed out, those few feel they have already earned that right because of who they came from, after all, their bloodlines are chalk full of successes dating back many generations, so why should they have to earn their way back to the top like the rest of us when they can just slide right back in, only to be slammed with a huge reality check when it doesnt happen..

I imagine some of the Disrespect comes from those few, who watched their parents, and grandparents thrive, all the time and energy, and resources they invested into making sure their family was as successful as the generation before them, and now it's nothing more than a memory, and they're forced to earn the respect instead of having it be a given..I can almost imagine what that must feel like, to be no body when you were once a force to be reckoned with..

Chun_Li chuckles at the thought as she goes back to her post to hear what others have to say..

Report Post Tip

Listening to Scarfo finish his speech, Demon begins a solo effort applause for the renowned mobster for his words...

Now that ladies and gentlemen, is an analogy we should be acknowledging here today. Scarfo's Dog analogy, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Let people test these boundries at their own free will, cause shit. They aint gonna get nowhere, coming out onto the streets, talking shit, before being fed some more hard lead.

Demon's voice changes to jokingly mimic your average disrespectful fuck

"Oh I'm the son of '*** ****' and I know everything there is to know about running a crew and how things should be handled!!you fucki-n- BOOM! Headshot!"

Hahahahaha! Let them test the boundries of respect! and see how far it gets them! Hahahahaahahhaa!

Nearby Bystanders begin scurry away, as Demon's devilish laughter encases the streets.

Ahhahaa,... Fuck, nah I definitely couldn't have put it better myself Scarfo..

Demon Re-address' the crowd..

At some point, respect has to be shown to those higher than you, regardless of your Ancestors great deeds. Your Mother/Father was an honourable lad/lass.. Great! Now it's time for you to show your equal value...

Demon turns to face Scarfo.

Alright, fuck it, Lets go win some of your Poker money..

Report Post Tip

Often the people (thugs) that disrespect Godfathers usually dedicate their life towards disrespecting their targets. No street speech will change this; saying they should rank up and do something about it doesn't help either. Disrespect [by thugs on the streets] is something we can't really fight and we should learn to accept it as a reality in this world of ours and you can either get pissed of or you can ignore it.

Disrespect can come from all ranks, even Godfathers.

Report Post Tip

Well id like to thank you all for comeing out here and haveing your say there's afew good points made here, I for one just had a bad day and ended up typeing this up didn't expect all these reply's but yeah i was unleashing some anger that well needed to come out but once again thank you all for comeing out here much appreciated fellows.

Percival tips his hat then gets in his limo

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Disrespect/Respect
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL