Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 20:12:32
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Morals and Fundamentals Started by: RoryRourke on Mar 08, '15 00:09

The sun was rising on a cold, dry, Philadelphia morning. Market traders were beginning to lay out their wares, hoping for a good days trade. Life was tough for the majority, luxuries were few and many had to choose between heating and eating. But they survived. Rory began to wonder how people could survive. After much thought, he concluded it must be due to these peoples solid fundamentals and morals. Pulling up a soapbox, Rory decided to share his thoughts with the masses.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, today I would like to discuss morals and fundamentals. Now, this is something you may not regard as common priorities for people who regularly thieve, con and murder for a living, you’re wrong.”

Rory paused to draw breath and observe the growing crowd before continuing

Fundamentals and morals are what keep our world in existence. Sure, we have a totally different set to the market traders over there, but we have them nonetheless, or we should at least. Recently there has been much debate about street presence and activity amongst leaders and their members. To me, street presence is of massive importance, it shows that you give a damn, that you have your finger on the pulse. If you don’t, why should anybody give a damn or want to do business with you?

The issue really begins, with a breakdown of morals, in my opinion.  Leaders and Godfathers forgive a lack of street presence, because individuals kick up lots of tribute. Clearly, tribute is important, it allows families to protect their members and pay their taxes, but money alone cannot run our world.

This thing of ours requires leaders and men of honour. Leaders are made in the streets, the best leaders our world has ever seen, have all had one thing in common. Street presence, they grab issues by the horns, they share their opinions and set the world to rights. How can you be a man/woman of honour, with no street presence? There is no honour in hiding away, shying from debate or conflict. Leaders should lead by example and personally I think the requirements laid out by the Godfather council are a positive thing. For too long this thing of ours has been over-populated by mindless zombies, lacking fundamentals and morals, lacking a code of honour and a true understanding of the way this thing of ours works. 

The truly sad thing is that many people only develop a street presence in times of tragedy, either to question the actions of leaders or to bitch and whine about the deaths of their parents or friends. I can assure you, people of the world that there is nothing honourable about this. Leaders may be questioned, but there is a fine line between discussion and disrespect, if people were to grace the streets more often, this fine line may be better observed and understood.

It’s time to step up. Take pride in yourself, take pride in your families, grow a pair and get a street presence before it’s too late. Stick by your fundamentals and hold on to your morals, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Rory steps back, lighting up a cigarette.

Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $150,000 Tip

MsLiar having grown more than a little tired of the rehashed circular arguments about street presence marking  one as a leader or how respect has diminished regarding button wearers she wonders when those said original thinkers are actually going to step outside of their comfort zone and take the stick out of their arses? 

"Did you hear the Purple Gang asking permission to run their bootleg operation in Detroit ?No you did not they seized it and took control until those low down stool pigeons and others sold them out, what may you ask does this have to do with what Rory has said well nothing and maybe a little of something. Street presence is important  possibly but that is only a small part of it which perhaps is the reason if you wish to strive for the position of crew leader or higher (why the hell  would you ! I dont know, drinking a G&T on a beach and relaxing is much more fun! mind you I make my body guards learn to  poll dance so what would I know) Sorry I digress but really Fred is awesome to watch poll dancing ! Sorry off topic again and I am supposed to take this seriously (Its a bet that I cant do serious, sadly I am losing horribly so if you fancy donating to a dreadful gambler feel free :P)

I would say the upshot is that an invisible or should we really say what appears to be an unsociable leader is not the type that's wanted these days while yes it is good to see a leader openly show their social skills because lets face it that is what it appears to be about  for the ones just skipping in and out of the streets between busy business deals , does their face fit can they kill me at some point ? Now the latter I have respect for because that is the nature of the beast in this world I have no interest in an all singing all dancing puppet. But what would I know Im too busy grading my body guards on their poll dancing skills!

Report Post Tip

Strolling down the street, Rose had come upon a small crowd gathered around a new acquaintance of hers.  As the topic of discussion got underway, she thought about the situation of our world leaders comparing to our leaders in this thing of ours.  

As she listened to the words spoken by RoryRourke, Rose nodded along with some of the crowd with a few points he was making.  After he stopped and welcomed others to participate, Rose waited as another person stepped up, and made some interesting comments as well.

Waiting her turn, Rose then moved to the area Rory had been standing to offer her opinion.  She cleared her throat quietly before she began.

"Rory thank you for bringing up this topic today.  I have heard many times before about how our leaders should be vocal or more vocal in the streets, and I couldn't agree with you more.  The way I view things is that here in America we have our politicians, leaders, and the President. We vote for these people to lead us politically, but we would not go into the voting registrar and just choose a random name on the list, say 'Oh perhaps he would be a good leader', when in fact you know nothing about them."

Rose understands there are many reasons some people choose to remain silent in the streets, but in this way of life, being silent and a leader obviously wasn't a good combination, at least that's what past streets speeches and comments alluded to.

"I do think leaders should be more vocal to give us an idea about who they are.  A street presence is not the only way to show how great your leadership skills are; however, it does enhance your socialization with the rest of our world.  Would I want to trust in someone I know nothing about?  I would rather see for myself how a leader conducts him, herself publicly. 

When leaders are to work together with those within their city, but they have no clue about whom they are working with, it makes it difficult to build an alliance or good working relationship.  Same way goes with doing business with other cities.  You have no reference to base any trust on, with words or actions, when leaders are silent."

Report Post Tip

MsLiar, i find the contempt in your voice rather unsettling. I fail to see how this is debate is rehashed, this debate is relevant. The way in which we interact with one another, on a daily basis, in these public spaces is about as relevant as it gets. I can assure you, completely that I do not have a stick up my arse, I came here to encourage debate, hoping for an intellectual conversation. I'm sorry if it was a little above your grade. Your bodyguards, are clearly more important to you than the state of a society as a whole. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, I'm all for liberty and each person has the freedom to do as they wish in my opinion, but it is well worth remembering that the way in which you act will be reflected in the way that people perceive you, considering the activity in your city lately it seems perhaps that you have fallen into that mould.

Rose, I couldn't agree more. It is important to me personally, to know that my leader is respected, active and has their finger on the pulse. I wouldn't want to work for a leader who has no knowledge of what is going or, nor any interest in it. Street activity, in my opinion is one of the most important aspects of this thing of ours and those that ignore it, do so at their own loss and peril.

Report Post Tip

Not speaking on the streets doesn't automatically mean you don't hear what's being said. You can be perfectly up-to-date about recent events without speaking a single word. Maybe a leader knows what's going on and is interested in what's happening, but doesn't feel the need to share his opinion with everyone, or doesn't think that his opinion differs from something that is already said?

Report Post Tip

I would never ask a leader to justify themselves to me Goto, not unless i was on equal par or above them (seems unlikely). Just my opinion doesn't differ all that much from somebody who has already spoken, I would still share it nonetheless. It's how ideas can be supported and a general consensus gained. To suggest that people should simply remain mute, because somebody has already shared a similar opinion, is positively absurd. Granted, it may be advisable to observe at distance, sometimes, but i would still expect a good deal of presence and involvement from those at the top of our food chain. 

Report Post Tip

I am not saying they should remain mute, but I can understand why they could choose to do so. I mean, I can't see anything positive about a leader repeating what someone else said, just because it 'looks good' for his little speech count.

Report Post Tip

You clearly missed the point of what I said, it's not about speech count. Leaders are the most influential people in our world, their opinion carries weight, or at least it should. Leaders have a unique position in their ability to reinforce, through meaningful support or really emphasise a consensus. If ten made guys, agree with something that is being said, then something should probably be implemented or changed for example, if ten made guys and ten leaders show their support for an idea then it is much more likely to that something will result from that idea. 

So once again, it's not about speech count, it's about emphasis and support for either their members or someone that they agree with. It is their right to remain silent indeed, but surely those of such influence and position should do everything they can to better our world, and their opinions may just do that.

Report Post Tip

It's true that the voice of a leader carries it's weight. I'm happy to see when a leader makes an appearance on the streets, but sometimes they just seem so forced. Let's say a leader shows his support for an idea that was brought forward by an excellent and sizable speech, and he tells us how great he thinks the idea and speech is:

''Your speech is top notch, and I agree 100 % with your idea. It would be so good for our business to implement this idea. We are in this for money and power after all.''

Now that looks a bit silly and perhaps unrealistic (I altered a quote from a hand and changed the subject), but something like that doesn't actually tells us anything, right? Other than showing 'support' for it and telling how good it is. In such a case, I think the leader would be best of with being quiet. I would actually think less of an idea if a leader came out and supported it like this.

I would find it amazing if he came out with a well though-out speech about how he thinks the idea is great and why, of course. So, in the case that a leader doesn't really have anything to add to a discussion/idea than show his support to it, without actually adding anything new, I'd rather see no speech from that leader at all.

Goto thought about what he just said and wondered if it made any sense at all.

Report Post Tip

It does make sense and I agree with what you're saying, i was however working on the assumption that we could look to  leaders to set a standard and to put some real effort into their replies, however that is not always the case.

Report Post Tip

I am of the opinion that forcing leaders to make a speech or to meet certain requirements on the street makes their street presence uninteresting and less meaningful. I'd prefer it if they stayed silent, really. If they don't want to make an appearance themselves, don't bother forcing them to or setting them to a standard, it only causes me to have less interest in what they have to say and have less respect for their position.

But that's just me.

Report Post Tip

don't bother forcing them to or setting them to a standard

Couldn't disagree more.

Standards are the bare minimum of what we should aim for, people should be striving to go above and beyond to earn that bold suit. I get that different people have different strengths and speaking in the streets isn't for everyone.. but diplomacy and the ability to talk your way out of trouble will always see a leader go far, so someone that's out in the streets sharing opinions will always have the advantage, or should have the advantage, when the time comes to choose someone to purchase a new HQ.

Report Post Tip

I've always looked at street activity being the least factor for getting a bold suit. It offers the advantage of potential people seeing them and thus them possibly getting more members, and it might help them being respected more (or the contrary might just happen).

But I've always thought that street activity for leaders is overrated, and it being presented as more than it actually is. That's just my opinion though.

Report Post Tip

"Why would anyone want to lead a district, a family, or a city....and want to stay silent?  That would give personally give me the impression the leader was either shady, up to something, or possibly lacking something.  Now I said impression not necessarily indicating that IS the reason. We are to look to our leaders to set an example for us.  They are to guide us not hide from us.

It isn't forced if you know the guidelines before you take a role as a leader.  You would know what is expected of you beforehand.  The rules and guidelines were clearly given to the community, and I for one am glad to see the standards being upheld by our current leaders.

The idea that anyone, whether a leader or not, should not comment and speak up just because their opinion matches what has already been stated...well that would be nonsense.  No one is the same.  Not everyone speaks the same.

So is this to say because I disagree or agree on any given topic of discussion, if I heard similar views that matched my own, I should not even bother to speak up?  Simply because I could be repeating a shared viewpoint, but spoken in my own words?"

Rose shrugs as she moves to the side once more allowing the next speaker a chance to share their thoughts.

Report Post Tip

Eh, you can decide for yourself if it's worth it to speak up. I for one don't think it would add much, but that's my opinion. And if you were a leader, I would think the same.

And even if you know of guidelines beforehand, they're still force unto you. You can't ignore them because you know they exist.. Am I still making sense here?

Report Post Tip

I've always believed that the streets should be an integral part of this world. Apart from the perks granted by the Gods, you would be surprised what other 'perks' you gain from being a competent street speaker. Always having my ear to the grapevine, I tend to hear a lot of the 'chatter' that goes on in the backrooms in private in this world and I can tell you Goto that your recent upturn in street activity has done you wonders when it comes to people's opinion of you. You may have only started to receive a small portion of the credit so far, but I can promise you that more will come. So I'll ask you if you think street activity isn't important in the not too distant future and see if your opinion has changed. :)

Street activity is only detrimental to a leader if they're a complete moron. Fools will be found out here and the weak will fall by the wayside, but apart from the odd one or two harsh critics, we are a very forgiving bunch and as long as someone is making a legitimate effort to partake in the festivities, they will usually find at least one voice who agrees with them or if they're struggling.. help them out.

Then there's the politics side of this world that the streets opens you up to. Once you have established a street presence, you are more like to be asked your opinions on things, maybe not only out here... but inside your own family/district/city walls.

Showing you have brains in front of every mob boss in the country could be the key to you going from nobody to somebody.

Report Post Tip

Curtis approaches Rory and shakes his hand.

"Rory, thank you for a very good discussion, very well put across. This is obvious something I have a known stance on but I have to say I've listened to some of the conversation and I find a couple of points interesting. 

Firstly, Goto, I see your point about support comments for speeches being seemingly superfluous but I disagree. I have seen people bring an idea to the street and seen that idea flounder with uncertainty. I have then seen a leader of influence make such a simple comment as the one you suggested and ignite the fading subject into a lively discussion. Sometimes simple acts of support can swing the impartial observer into feeling one way or another and taking part. 

Indeed showing such simple forms of support can be immeasurably helpful to less experienced voices trying to find their feet out here in the streets. These streets can be very intimidating to new participants and a little backing from a known figure in the community can be just what the person need to continue with their point and argue their case. Support and encouragement are everything. 

Secondly, the opinion that a voice isn't an important attribute for a leader to have is something I will never agree with. You can say there are a plethora of other skills a leader needs and that is obvious. But a voice is a very important one. You could point at successful leaders, ever Godfather Tetley and say he doesn't speak much but he has and does when needed. He possesses the skills and is a more than worth mental adversary. Try challenging him about something and see what happens.    

Also, I've shot people for having no fucking idea who they are. Because I've never spoken to them and never seen them in the street. They were, literally, no-marks. I'm not the only one either. I've had group discussions with other leaders and I know my ancestors have, where people have been killed simply because they contributed absolutely nothing to the community as a whole. A leader's voice means a lot more than you are giving it credit for. It's a very important tool in the leader's arsenal.

And lastly, as has been mentioned. The minimum requirement for auth may seem forced from the perspective you are viewing it but it is also its own truth. It tells the observer everything they need to know about the leader's attitude toward the streets. If they have done the bare minimum and maybe avoided an actual challenging discussion in favour of a passive story, what does that tell you about them, their attitude and their capabilities? If the new leader has embraced the idea and made several ventures into discussions and fought their corner in conversation, what does that tell you about their capabilities? It might not be conclusive in determining their overall capacity to manage people and assert governance over their family but it (at least for me) tells you a lot about their general capabilities.

Anyway, I'e rambled on quite long enough. Good discussion and good contributions from most too. Good to see." 

Report Post Tip

"If you know the guidelines beforehand, and you still choose to enter into a leadership position, providing it was a possibility, then no one is forcing anything upon you.  You made the choice to willingly go into the role, and accepting the rules and guidelines of that position.  If you disagree with said guidelines, you have the choice not to lead.  No one can force you to lead.

So speaking up in discussions....doesn't add much? I disagree.  In my opinion it matters.  It is good to know where people stand, and to know their opinions on matters.  If you know where someone stands, it can aid in your determination if you do business with them, as well as other things.

I agree with Godfather Curtis.  He said it way better than I could put into words.  Does that mean I shouldn't bother replying though?  No I think it helps when our leaders know they have our support.  It also helps if they know we are not cookie cutter versions of them if we choose to disagree on any given topic.  It leads to conversations and compromises, and in my opinion to stronger alliances and loyalties."

Report Post Tip

LordBlackwod wonders out into the streets doing his High-step, he was strolling along with Scarfo when he over hears RoryRourke in the streets. He takes a seat and listens to the mobsters having a go at this topic at hand. Puff! Puff! Puff some more, he fixes his suit and tie has a little sip to clear his throat and walks over to Rory and where GodFather Curtis were standing. He gives them a handshake looks over at Goto

I think everyone that has come out here to speak on this particular topic has done their bit well. There isn't much I can add after the words of Curtis, Rose and Tyrion. But just one little thing that I had to address....just cause I couldn't let it go. 

You said that you don't look at it much when a leader stays quiet and you think its overrated to have a leader come out here and show street presence? See I am of the opinion that a leader doesn't necessarily have to show face in every petty discussion on the streets, but someone has to lead by example. You can't lead by example if you are mute and in your little corner just building a crew/district or city. Leading is about being out in the public, open to people, being able to inspire them through words and actions. A leader who chooses to shy away from speeches and such is not inspiring anyone, well perhaps he is within his crew, but thats not enough. Everyone likes to hear the opinion of leaders out in the streets because those opinions mean something, they carry weight and mass. Now I agree with you when you say some go out there and say "Great job...etc! Nicely done!!! Boom! Bang! Bang" but thats not leading, thats not street presence, thats barely acknowledgement. Street presence isn't just a number, its ideas, morals and thought processes. When a leader is vocal, everyone knows what he likes, dislikes and how he/she thinks. To some that might be a bad thing, but I can say this for sure after looking through my families journals. Leaders that are vocal and have a decent head on their shoulders are usually very well respected and thought of as examples. Others choose to stay quiet yes, but staying quiet isn't always  good thing in our business. Our business is built on more than just hard work, money and muscle. Its built on communication and networking. How in the world are we to keep a Mob empire running and hidden from authorities without communicating with our brethren across the country?!?! Communication is an integral part of being a leader, and the streets are the bloodline to get it done on a bigger scale. 

Report Post Tip

Cold, dry, with the sun still taking it's place in the late morning sky. The collar went up on Scarfo's overcoat as he waited. He stood off to the side of LordBlackwod and the decently sized group of people, waiting and watching. His comrade had ben helping newly appointed Godmother BlackBetty in the recent move to Bella Vista, and he himself had also been busy helping Don TonyCapazzo with the help of @Luis-Antonino set up shop in Southern Philadelphia.

The group conversing in Philly just so happened to be about when Scarfo and Lord made their morning catch-up stroll. They had much to discuss, as business was always moving. Bella needed a steady supply of narcotics, and Scarfo had his finger on the pulse across Philadelphia through Dope Row. Nothing out of the ordinary, just two Mafioso chin wagging, staying connected, and moving things forward.

Whilst Lord went about his passionate speech regarding communication being a key requisite to leadership, Scarfo eyed the crowd. He noticed a familiar face that he had some brief yet quite civil words with at the last grouping, on a similar topic, even though they did differ a little. It was Goto, the ever present street discussion enthusiast. A little smirk crept upon the face of Scarfo in recognition, as he stood there off to the side. His hands dug deep into his pockets and his shoulders slightly raised, trying to keep warm.

Upon Lord finishing his speech, Scarfo stepped forward and gave him a pat on the upper back. He looked out at the familiar faces gathered, gave a warm smile to Rose-Raje, then projected his voice out with the intention of being heard.

"I think by now we know and understand street presence is necessary to leadership. The Godfathers have made it known it's expected of any new leader under their rule. I see the same faces with an opposing view on this out in these streets voicing their disagreement. The numbers are quite small in comparison. Maybe those that are opposed, are just not out here voicing their own concerns. Yet, how would we know?"

Scarfo's hands jumped out of his pockets and joined in. They begun waving about in the chill as he continued, his body movements becoming more lively as he got further into his speech, and his mind fixed solely on the subject.

"I think this is the point. We wont truly get to know our peers in this thing, if they don't talk. How will they make connections? How will we be able to judge their interaction skills? How can they even conduct business, if they are too afraid to speak their minds? Who would actually want to follow someone, who's character isn't skilled at interacting with people? How can they even get a leadership role, if they can't communicate coherently to a group of people? How can they influence people, if they lack the ability to be charismatic?"

By this point Scarfo was quite invested in his speech. The feeling of passion coursing through his body and that spark of enthusiasm had him saying a lot more than he intended to. The words were flowing, and the emotion kept him present and engaged.

"And how in the hell can they rally their men to follow them into wars, to bleed for them, to get on board with their vision and their ambitions, if they lack that special quality of being able to inspire their men into action through a rousing purposeful speech?"

Scarfo paused a moment. He felt it time to wind down his little rant, and the emotion also died down within him. His thoughts turned from communication being important, to the topic Goto still held a strong opinion on of the quality of street presence, and not being forced into them by a set of rules.

"Now I don't want to keep rambling, so I'll state my case about having rules regarding speaking in the streets and it forcing shitty discussions and responses."

Scarfo eyed the crowd before setting his sight upon Goto momentarily, then continuing to make eye contact with various individuals as he spoke further.

"I can see how some may feel pressured to now show a street presence, because the Godfathers have set it as a pre-requisite before someone can be given the nod to run their own territory. But the fault of the quality of the speech is with the speaker and the speaker alone. The rules are in place to encourage more street presence. Some things in this thing of ours need rules, in fact what is this thing of ours without rules? Especially after a period of slacking, a ruling to straighten out what was previously piss poor in this area was necessary."

Scarfo digs his hands back into his pockets and takes a conscious breath, focusing on the energy running through his body and the feel of the air exiting through his nostrils. He takes another deep belly breath and sets about finishing his somewhat longer than anticipated expression session.

"In the end the rules aren't the enemy. Society has rules. Governments have rules. Businesses have rules. We all have your own rules. These rules we use and live by, they guide us day to day to live to certain standards. I suggest not seeing the rule regarding street presence as something else to bash, but to use to hold others accountable for their own personal lack of standards in this area. Stop hating on the ruling, and start putting the responsibility where it should be, on the shoulders of those men and women who wish to become our leaders."

The energy that carried him to this point had well waned, and Scarfo's voice even dropped a level or two. He paused a moment, collecting the last of his thoughts on the topic. He shrugged his shoulders, smirking.

"And if some Mafiosi avoid crowds because they lack this skill, I'm sure others more able can help them better express themselves. We're not all mean fucks. Well, not all of the time."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Morals and Fundamentals
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL