Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 18:10:29
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Give us a clue son? Started by: Father_TeQ on Mar 09, '15 18:27

Ok, so we have our first entrant it seems to the LA turkey shoot, AbrahamLincoln and already there's confusion. With no auth speech, there were a lot of people wondering exactly what Abraham was. His home city was LA, but there was a little panic among some mobsters unsure exactly what we were dealing with.

What a silly way to do things.

I'm sure the mail was sent out among crewleaders that Abraham was legit. Unfortunately for my family and a few others, there was no leader, RH or LH to pass this message on. Some people may argue that myself and the others in this situation had no business knowing and it shouldn't matter because we should be holstering our guns regardless until told otherwise. However, if a member of our family (or someone else's family 'not in the know' yet) suddenly dropped and Abraham was in the vicinity, I'm not sure EVERY single person would keep their guns in their pants.

What a senseless loss this would have been.

Now... I'm not saying for 1 minute that Abraham's previous boss, or Curtis or anyone else you can think of should have come out here and announced what was happening...

Where the fuck was Abraham?

Surely, a simple introduction out here wouldn't have taken longer than 5 minutes to put together? When it comes to starting out on the right foot as a bold, your first job is surely to not entice people to shoot you within minutes of buying your HQ?

Daft.

(P.S. Seconds after completing this speech, he died... no it wasnt me! lol)

Report Post Tip
All though a public speech is not need to set up in LA, it still needs to be do e about 1 hour before the move so everyone can know about it.
Report Post Tip

A mass mail was sent out Teq. Granted it wasn't right away...but the district heard it. And it was before Abe's inevitable assassination. So the word was out there. And someone out there just didn't listen. Lets see if we get a W/S now. 

But even though these aren't regular auths. I think it should be the responsibility of the guy setting up to atleast introduce his family in the streets before buying a HQ. Makes things a lot more safer. 

Report Post Tip

I too would have liked the late Abe to at least introduce himself in the streets, but clearly that shall not happen. Maybe the next person to venture into the brave west coast world will be a bit more careful while they set up. I would hate to see the same thing occur to the next bold suit out there.

Report Post Tip

Maybe I am wrong but if someone sets up in LA, the only person who needs to know is their leader.  As no one is meant to shoot LA people from outside of the city without a reason. 

I hope they find who did it and shoots the person  but the chances are slim.

Report Post Tip

Whilst that is true, Hitcher, you would expect anybody starting a family to make an introductory post, it's good etiquette and more to the point you should want to be heard, you should stand proud and bold, as the suit suggests. I certainly hope the next homesteader has more common sense and more luck.

Report Post Tip

I love things like this because it separates the strong from the weak. Don't get me wrong. Lincoln may have been a really great guy. But he has fell at the first hurdle. This isn't the fault of his leader nor is it the fault of the community. The blame falls entirely on the shoulders of Lincoln himself.

As TeQ correctly points out. The rules do not require a street speech from you to set up in LA. But come on? I mean. If you cannot be arsed to even address the community and show you have the minerals to lead then I can honestly understand why someone has shot you. You appear weak. You appear to not give a fuck what we think. No, you don't NEED to give a shit but let's be very fair. If you had come out here, slammed a proper authoritative speech in here 

Report Post Tip

I kinda get the feeling that he hadn't had time to give his speech. Hell, I couldn't have WRITTEN a speech in the amount of time he had, let alone proofread and then give it.

Report Post Tip

It should have been prepared beforehand Praefect. 

If you can't even organise yourself enough to let the general public know you're not a lunatic with a gun, what chance do you have of handling 20 mobsters in a world where ego's run rampant?

Report Post Tip

bighead goes very white and drops to the floor coughing his guts out. He lets out when massive cough and a fly emerges from his mouth. Getting slowly to his feet he stamps on the offending shit stander, turn back to the crowd and continues..

here was I? Oh Yes. A proper speech in these here streets you might have had people sit up, take notice and have two things happen:

1. They wouldn't shoot you and would know who the fuck you were.

2. People might not set up thinking your weak and shoot you in the face.

So folks. I think the lesson should be heeded. If you plan on setting up in LA start as you mean to go on. Get out here, declare yourself the dogs bollocks and take the bull by the horns. Or don't and end up next to good old Abe.

Report Post Tip

A short speech consisting of a few lines would have done the job, Praefect. At least I think it would have. Doesn't need to be a fancy auth speech.

Hi,

I am Abe and I'm setting up in Las Angeles as agreed upon by my crew leader, following the terms set by the 'Wild West' announcement by Godfather Curtis.

Or something similar.  

Report Post Tip

Praefect, thats called planning, you should have your auth speech written and proofed before you purchase your HQ. Not doing so is likely to get you shot in the face, as we have seen today. Announcements should be made before auth, not after, that's a perfect way to get blasted.

Report Post Tip

The more I think about it. The more I view it as piss poor planning which equaled piss poor performance.

Don't think this is some hold hands contest. You will likely get shot. Do not give the opposition a chance nor a reason to be aiming a gun at your head.

Admittedly in this situation it isn't CLEAR opposition in the city but I would be astounded if the killer doesn't set up in LA sometime soon.

Report Post Tip

The kid didn't really deserve to get shot,

but Rory does have a bit of a point, if your going to go through the trouble of going out there and claiming stake to the land in the Wild West. You might as well buy a handful of bodyguards and represent yourself as a Crew leader. A good enough speech may even inspire some people to come and join you along your side.

Report Post Tip

Its still a terrible waste of a life, however, not all is lost. By sacrificing himself in this manner, Lincoln has hopefully ensured that this will not happen to the next challenger to venture forth into the land of opportunity. Personally the Rock doesn't believe that Lincoln was killed for being a Rogue, but as I have no evidence of this, it is merely supposition and conjecture on my behalf.

Report Post Tip

The kid didn't really deserve to get shot

Its not about what he deserved. Its about what he did potentially wrong Louis-Manciagli. Just a little preparation on his part would have saved him and his stake in LA. Now we sit here and wonder if the killer is indeed alive, and if he is...is he going to claim that stake? I mean at this point he has sorta made the big move with a bang...now step up! 

Or perhaps Chris_Vaughn is right. Maybe Abe wasn't shot cause of him being rogue, maybe it was a personal busines kinda thing. Which would be sad tbh. But in any case, I think we got ourselves the 2nd "Who done it moment" in as many weeks. 

Lesson for the next CL up in LA...be Prepared. If not, be ready for the consequences!

Report Post Tip

It's not really about what he did wrong rather than what he could have done better. By the rules set out by Godfather Curtis it appears he did his part and got permission from his CL and the proper mail was distributed among the masses.

What he could have done better was possible wait an hour or so before buying out of his family and purchasing an HQ. Might have been a good idea to give the mailmen and women a bit of time to get the mail distributed to the mobsters of our world. A speech and even some bodyguards would have given him better odds as well.

The slow Witness statements or lack of Witness statements altogether lately can be rather annoying. Leads people to making unjust assumptions and makes the minds of the people wonder. Like a few have said, maybe someone just wanted him dead for other reasons. Or maybe somebody just wants to ruin all the fun and hype. 

Abe had to be rather brave to take the charge while unprotected in being the first to take on the task of setting up out west. Being the first one out there with such low amount of protection could be looked at two ways, it was either a very ballsy move or a very unwise decision. Whether ballsy or wise, we will never truly know because he was shot in a manner other than to be expected. I would've much rather seen whoever shoot him go about it in the proper way and meet him in a battle for the west.

Report Post Tip

Something you may want to think about is during the last experiments it was mandatory to have a speech already said in the streets before you were allowed to participate in the action. You had to get permission to leave your crew, then you had to present yourself to the masses, and then at that point were you allowed to set up in said contest. If you didn't do that precisely in that order, you were removed from the contest.

The first question that came about after the announcement of the Wild West by Godfather Curtis, was whether or not you needed to have one speech under your belt and I do hope that this answers the question. Actually, I hope it ends all conversation when it comes to anything regarding the one speech guideline set by the Godfather council.

I am utterly disappointed that someone gunned down honest Abe. I truly am, but in hindsight I hope this shows that even one speech acknowledging yourself at least, can keep you alive. 

Report Post Tip

Everyone point makes sense here, in one aspect it is considered the "Wild West" for a reason isn't it? I mean I understand rules are meant to be followed and in this aspect poor Abe shouldn't have been killed.

When Curtis stated:

"None of the external community will interfere in the events of Los Angeles any way. The participants will have no protection, help with firepower or other assistance, from any of the established families outside the city."

So as long as he got permission from his crew leader which he did cause I saw the mass mail he should have been left alone. If he had not gotten permission then it should have been his crew leader or the uppers in that district who should have handled it not some random with a gun. 

Report Post Tip

Listening to the discussion he nodded.

"Ok there is clearly a valid point made here. The need for a speech would hopefully limit such things happening again. Although I don't think this is what caused Abe's death, I do agree that it wouldn't hurt for a new LA leader to make a cursory announcement such as the ones Goto and TeQ suggested.

Just a line or two in the LA thread will suffice. Of course they are welcome to make a whole speech of their own should they wish but some form of public notification can't hurt in order to help eradicate confusion. I will make mention of it in the original discussion as well. Thanks TeQ and the rest of you for this helpful discussion."

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Give us a clue son?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL