Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 00:50:28
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Welcome To Detroit Discussion Thread Started by: Scarfo on Apr 16, '15 07:43

The problem at hand for these people who now find themselves dead is not the fact that they were busy it is the fact that they did absolutely nothing during the time they were there. Not to mention after warning mails from Tony about their lack of work they did not improve their work let alone do something as simple as mail back Tony letting him know what was going on, what the problem may have been or if they needed any help anywhere. These deaths were hardly based on just busy times, they were the result of members not even bothering to give those 5 spare minutes they had to let their Crewleader know what was going on.

As for this thread in general, after reading things here and getting a better idea on the situation and to answer your question Barry, the reason it is not done more is because people have died for less. This is just my opinion but I mean look at how much heat this thread has generated in itself.

Not too long ago somebody posted in that thread about things that annoy you one was No WS required, and this was unknown to me at the time so I applaud Scarfo for being unique and creative by instead of saying No WS Required he decided to write up a street thread and roleplay out the reasons for these peoples deaths.

This is something new to me and may be why my opinions on it were the way they were at first but after some conversation about it, it seems that things were taken way out of context and I applaud Scarfo for trying something new and if there was something wrong with it given the fact I am no RP expert by any means, then hopefully the RP players can help out and maybe we can get a new generation going of creativity and unique threads instead of the typical funeral posts or whatever else people may come up with to change from generic text into a Street Roleplay.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip

Why are people getting so mad about this? Like Scarfo said they were either inactives or suspected of helping the rogue. They were going to die whether there was a roleplay about it or not, they just used some creativity when they did it which I personally think we should see more of.

Really completely failing to see what the issue is here!

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $100,000 Tip

Never meant to spark any controversy here at all.

The RP was done because: we wanted it to be meaningful as opposed to just posting 'no w/s required' in the funeral. I always try to put a different spin on things to be unique without breaking any codes or rules of course.

For those who think they were killed cuz of inactivity: Yes that was one reason but it was also a multitude of reasons such as not contributing to the family, not returning prior MMs althoug they were online for 2,3 or 5 mins here and there, they just didn't meet the standards I set.

For those who think this was cuz of the rogue: I sent my RHM, Scarfo a MM before the rogue thing ever happened. It was a list of people, same people who were killed. It stated they hadn't returned MMs and were not contributing anything at all period. I told him we would form a RP and kill them off, again so its not just a generic 'no w/s required' thing. The MM was sent before the rogue happened, not even in the same day.

For those who think proper training wasn't given: Of the 5 that died 3 claimed to be returning players however I still messaged them from inception, as I do with all new recruits, that my door is open and I am available to help them. This followed by other MMs to see if they were ok and needed any help.  One other person was given this same treatment. The last person TheGod was actually available in c chat at the beginning and I wrote out alot of MMs and spent alot of time training him and teaching him the game mechanics. After those first two days he was on sparingly. I still sent MMs to try and help and then they all became ignored even though again he would pop in from time to time for a minute here n there.

I hope this clears up a little of any cloud that might have been there. We never meant any disrespect period or had any ill intent, to us it was just cleaning house of those not meeting requirements and standards and doing it in a creative way.

Report Post Tip

Well, you can't say we didn't make an impact with our first RP in Detroit :)

Report Post Tip
I'm not sure everyone is aware why the "No WS required" started. It was during a time a lot of rogues were popping up and when ia's were showing up in obits with no CL or upperstructure online to confirm that the kill was legit, mass mails were sent out by those that actually cared about people losing crew members to recover the ws. Usually only to find out it was an authorized shot and people were requested to search for something needlessly. So it was requested that people place this phrase in funerals so that time and efforts were not wasted. I find it a bit disheartening that some people are offended by this practice, it makes it seem as if the concern of safety for others from rogue threats is extremely low on the list.

As for this speech... The way a family handles their ia's is there business. As is how they handle promotions. As is how they handle any other private family matter. I can honestly say if I went inactive for a few days and came back to find a roleplay in the streets about my death with gruesome detail I would be highly irritated. And if we start bringing this sort of business public, what is next exactly?
Report Post Tip

Irina, fair points indeed. We are no way diminishing the 'no w/s required' I've done that myself with other prior deaths. Just was trying to put a little bit of creative into this one to do something different was all. Nothing against the 1 liner in funeral.

Regarding your question about going inactive and coming to find out you've been killed. I ask this, what if you were not pulling your weight, not meeting standards, ignoring your bosses MMs, not contributing, not taking part in chat...just nothing...how would you feel then if you  came online and you're death was posted?

I ask this because as stated above previously this wasn't done because they just were inactives.

Report Post Tip

From my understanding funeral's are also suppose to be roleplayed, it even says it in the Rules. If at one time that was the stance that was taken, that's cool, yet it still renders the 'No W/S Required' statement in a funeral OOC now, and also back then.

This is why I'm not a fan of it, yet I am a massive fan of some kind of RP in the funeral itself to adv of the reasons for death.

I appreciate the insight to how it actually started though, never knew that, and I'm guessing others didn't either. Really cool.

Report Post Tip
If I were not contributing I would expect death. However, even then I would not be very impressed to find my death discussed openly in the streets. It would probably not be very encouraging to me to seek out future employment among these shores.

I can appreciate wanting to do something new and different, but I'm not sure discussing private family business is the way to do so.
Report Post Tip

The problem with that Irina was, had we not said something and someone saw 5 deaths without ANY explanation I think would've been even worse. Considering all that went down yesterday I felt it necessary to give a explanation to the masses. 

Report Post Tip

I understand and agree. The thing is it wasn't openly discussed, rather a story written that could be read as if watching a movie in action. Just like watching the Goodfellas, or Scarface. In this way it's a simple story to read and enjoy, and if taken in character the character you're portraying may not have actually been there personally.

So far we haven't seen anyone properly RP being at the scene, so technically no-one actually saw anything, at all. You the user may have enjoyed (hopefully) our little story, yet your character may never have even seen anything, let alone known the exact details of the shooters.

Report Post Tip
I completely disagree, I would have rather seen nothing than see people gloating over killing their own family
Report Post Tip

Disagree all you want Nomad, yet in a roleplay context it was neither gloating nor you noticing anything at all.

Report Post Tip

How dare our family kill inactive members who didn't want to respond/read mass mails when they were indeed online.

How dare you, Tony.

As others have said, to those making a big deal out of this, really? It's a roleplay game. The amount of roleplay here is diminished compared to what it once was. What Tony and his family did was show that they wanted to get rid of some IAs who weren't doing anything for our family and make a great thread out of it.

What's the problem really?

I can see how you would be pissed off if you were one of the inactives, Irina, but surely you'd give your leader.. rhm or lhm, which takes 20 seconds, if that, a mail. "Hey, i'll be busy".

Not responding to mails and logging in for 2 minutes a day does not constitute as "Active" or even "somewhat active".

Report Post Tip
i suppose you might as well be remembered for something. A kind of alright role play before you guys get blasted apart in a month is better than nothing
Report Post Tip

This thread could and should have been done better. I don't think anyone has a problem with the no w/s required this was just their way of expressing themselves through role play as they enjoy doing. The detail in which these people were killed was unnecessary and while I wouldn't call it a mockery of their deaths in my own words, I think the examples IvanRomanov cited should have been handled much more tastefully. 

The reasons for these people to be killed were just. I was consulted on it before that fact. I recognize that people get busy from time to time. I've been busy myself this week. That's why I am not a Godfather at the moment. I have to prioritize the time that I do have to spend here and there are currently a few things that are more important than taking that title. I expect all my members to prioritize the time that they have to spend here as well. I mean if you only have a few minutes at a time then what should you be doing with that limited time? I would think that checking your mail would be at the top of your list. Ignoring you leader's attempts to make contact with you is not acceptable.

Report Post Tip

Besides the point that Scarfo made, about the fact that the roleplay technically is seen by nobody but their own family, I don't buy the 'private, family business', protecting Omerta stance anyway. Take a look in the obituaries and you can see who's dead and who they worked for. The streets are meant for establishing a narrative beyond the game mechanics of clicking buttons and as I understand it, killing people turns out to be a pretty big part of the business. Does our knowledge of the information that they have killed IA's in their family harm them? It's a common practice. We have learned nothing. 

Report Post Tip

PLUS it's the 1920's. So many hits were done out in the open it's not funny. Mobsters were left, dead, for all the public to witness. Just search the internet and find the photo's of the dead bodies. It was gruesome, and really callous and the wars for bootlegging were quite public. Remember, this era we are playing is known to be about gangsters and mobsters ruling the country. It was well known who was doing what by the locals as well as law enforcement.

Report Post Tip
I don't think anyone has a problem with IA's being killed. That is definitely a CL's right to do so. But in bringing your PRIVATE family business to the streets, that has opened it up to being scrutinized by the public. I am more than entitled to disagree with the way it was handled. I am also now entitled to ponder as to how a 10 day old member could possibly be deemed worthless. Because these private matters were made public. Had nothing been said, I wouldn't have given it a second thought, because that is none of my business. Until it was made my business.

Really my point in all of this is losing the distinction between private family matters and what should be discussed in public. Again I ask, what is next... Do we begin publicly shaming our family members for their lack of donations? Do we begin publicly opening the books and holding sacred made man ceremonies in the streets for all to see? There has to be a line somewhere.
Report Post Tips: 2 / Total: $220,000 Tip

I'm confused.

Our CL decided these players needed to go because they were not contributing in any way to the family and most were suspected of aiding a Rogue. His decision was backed up by others in the chain of command. This was a MR-game decision.

Because of other coincidental events within our family that day, it was felt that making it public why these IAs were killed was a necessary thing to avoid misconceptions. RP is encouraged in MR, and highly encouraged within our family, so it was natural that we take to the Streets to explain what happened. From everything I understand one of the primary purposes of the Streets is to give in-world context to things that happen within the game and that's what we did.

Some people have an issue that it was stated at all publicly because of omerta. As has been discussed multiple times in this thread already...public displays of violence were commonplace in this world we are pretending to live in. We didn't get up and grandstand publicly within the RP thread, we didn't write a message on the wall. We simply carried out a task that is innately public because anyone can view Obits in the game and they are immediately posted to IRC, but we added some visual context to it. So we should have started an OOC thread instead? That's boring and not at all in keeping with part of what MR is. Not everyone has to RP, but RPing anything in this world should be celebrated, not critiqued.

Some are complaining that we made a mockery of those that were killed or that the death descriptions were unnecessary? I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm reading or writing prose - I like vibrant detail. When I'm writing a RP post I'm imagining a movie scene in my head and I try my best to describe it via text. In my specific post in the thread in question I showed my intent, I showed the IAs reaction, I put (in graphic detail) what happened, I said something to give further context to the cause of death, then I left. I'm not sure which part of that was inappropriate? Was the fact that I killed him at all the issue? The graphic detail of his death? Would you have preferred a thread that simply said "TonyCapazzo ordered the death of the following not pulling their weight in the family: Lynda, David_Chamers, etc..." if we had done that we'd be getting raked over the coals for posting unnecessary RP to Streets to gain VIP ranking or something, and if that was all the content of a post in Streets I'd be frustrated I even took the time to click it. Streets threads SHOULD have vibrant detail, gruesome deaths, and using context from real players instead of just NPCs should be a cool thing for those involved and those reading.

I'm honestly not trying to stir the pot here. I'm legitimately confused about what the core issue is. Everything that was asked of me and that I participated in felt 100% in keeping with Mafia history and how MR has felt to me from the beginning. I really don't understand why this created any reaction beyond "cool story".

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $200,000 Tip
Got to hand it to Tony at least. Aside from the few people they decided to execute he's recruited a pretty flawless crew of sheep to follow along.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Welcome To Detroit Discussion Thread
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL